Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Great win over Leitrim.......keep it going now lads..

ffs leitrem we beat not dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hard to be a GAA fan when decisions like today are made. Moving the footballers out to Tuam which stops a double header in Pearse Stadium for the first round of the League. Taking so soon after our footballers been asked to fulfil a pointless FBD match shows how little regard the GAA holds the supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Hard to be a GAA fan when decisions like today are made. Moving the footballers out to Tuam which stops a double header in Pearse Stadium for the first round of the League. Taking so soon after our footballers been asked to fulfil a pointless FBD match shows how little regard the GAA holds the supporters.

No pitch is going to allow a double header in January, destroy a field nad take the year to get it right again.

Was that the Tyrone/Antrim one that was set up as an event on FB(presumably by the Galway GAA).

That just hurts both games tbh.
    Less incentive to travel to the hurling which will be a merciful beating and splits the fan base/hurts West Galway numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

You would have to think that the decision was made on the basis of the state of the pitch at the moment. Has made some serious rain in the last couple of weeks so they probably think the pitch wont be able for 2 games in one day. A similar call was made last year when Galway ladies were supposed to be in a double header with the footballers in Tuam. The weather wasn't great so the ladies game was re-fixed to Corofin. It seems like an early call though. I guess if they left it later, people would give out that they should have announced it earlier (The GAA will always be criticised regardless of what decision they make).

I hope that is the reason for it being changed anyway. Usually Tuam get one match in the league but it didnt really work out this year:

Dublin & Mayo could attract crowds that Tuam cannot hold.
    Monaghan & Tyrone are on days that clash with with the hurlers playing home games.

Hopefully, it is not a case of "We better give this game to Tuam to keep them happy". I am closer to Tuam but I would still prefer to see the double header.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Was down in one the local papers for Tuam a fortnight ago I recall reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Annoying to miss the footballers but if the pitch is the reason that's unfortunate but fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Any smoke on the hurling squad for the new season whose in/ out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Should make some effort to allow supporters to get to both games. No chance of anyone making both games. This is where the lack of lights let's us down hugely. Ballinasloe has lights but can't take any sort of crowd under health and safety I'm sure.

danganabu wrote:
    No pitch is going to allow a double header in January, destroy a field nad take the year to get it right again.

No pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

leestone wrote: »
    Any smoke on the hurling squad for the new season whose in/ out etc

Be very interesting to see who gets a run in the league.

Still no harm to freshen things up in a few areas though, as it will be a serious ask for the existing squad to have the same hunger twice in a row. 1B gives a good opportunity to blood new lads in too

Surely Jack Canning should be brought in and young guys like Concannon from K'Daly, Coyne from Castlegar and Linnane from Turlough should be looked at. I think Ger O'Halloran is the best club corner back in Galway too and should be drafted in although he'll be 28 this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

jr86 wrote: »
    Be very interesting to see who gets a run in the league.

Still no harm to freshen things up in a few areas though, as it will be a serious ask for the existing squad to have the same hunger twice in a row. 1B gives a good opportunity to blood new lads in too

Surely Jack Canning should be brought in and young guys like Concannon from K'Daly, Coyne from Castlegar and Linnane from Turlough should be looked at. I think Ger O'Halloran is the best club corner back in Galway too and should be drafted in although he'll be 28 this year

Wonder will any mellows players get called in?

leestone wrote: »
    Wonder will any mellows players get called in?

Sean Morrisey be most likely

FBD match is off today.

This is any that cup shouldn't even be played now.

There's no room in the calender to support refixtures.

Isn't the first league game next weekend?.. so they theoretically need to play two games now mid week to finish it off.

This is just too likely an occurance in Ireland to persist with these mickey mouse cups.

This is any that cup shouldn't even be played now.

There's no room in the calender to support refixtures.

Isn't the first league game next weekend?.. so they theoretically need to play two games now mid week to finish it off.

This is just too likely an occurance in Ireland to persist with these mickey mouse cups.

I have had serious issues with Mr Prenty for a long time. He has made grand gestures in the media all week about protecting "the integrity of the competition" all week. Which means now he either saves face and pushes this fixture through. Or does the right thing (Which he should of done originally) and play the next game as the final. I would worry about what he will try and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Can’t see what the problem is.
    Put out the b team or the c team........many the young lad in the county would love the opportunity to don the maroon. And who knows what would be uncovered.......!

27336391_1668177129887461_8871156938310710784_n.jpg?oh=2ef5413a566d53d16b9340c5127dee3e&oe=5AE78F4D
    Dunno if I'd see Daithi starting that. As good a time as any to move Ronan Burke fullback again. One shocker against Seamie Callanan in Thurles and he was written off for years after. Looking forward to seeing Concannon. Hopefully they give lads like Donoghue, Glennon and Loftus good game time.

26993334_1668257983212709_4060952489788259314_n.jpg?oh=9c168bb3e32161899b9c1de2b1b82d87&oe=5B1DCCFC
    Big game for SAOC. A win here would be massive for survival. Cooke in midfield showed an awful lot of potential in that U-21 last year.

At least KW seems to have gotten half of the issues by not picking a big lug to catch kick outs, who cant play backs or forwards on top. Thats not a description of an individual but the traditional midfielder who's limited in open play.

Dublin don't pick midfielders, they pick footballers.

Now lets see does he get the second half of the equation with the kick outs or we're going nowhere again this year.

Can't concede possessions so needlessly when they're so vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Walsh really loves Patrick Sweeney. His club mate.

I know he missed last year because of injury but I dunno. Surely better off giving one of the younger lads a chance really. P Sweeney is fairly limited at this level. You know what you are getting. Not going to change at 27 or 28.

• Advertisement

Walsh really loves Patrick Sweeney. His club mate.

I know he missed last year because of injury but I dunno. Surely better off giving one of the younger lads a chance really. P Sweeney is fairly limited at this level. You know what you are getting. Not going to change at 27 or 28.

It's a strange call particularly when you look at the other 2 in the full forward line. All 3 are at their best in close to goal. However, we are gone way past having 3 men playing close to goal so you'd have to imagine that some of them will drop back. Sweeney & McHugh really offer very little when you drag them out the pitch. Comer might offer something but he is the one player who you want close to goal! I'd probably have started Brannigan 13 instead of Sweeney. Also, that Cunningham lad from Headford was supposed to be have been extremely impressive in the FBD so it seems a hard call on him not to be selected. When Walsh's time is up with Galway, he certainly cant be accused by his club members that he never gave any Kilanin lads a chance!

I dont think this team will be a million miles off championship team.

In the backs, I think Silke & Duane might replace Sweeney & Kyne.
    In midfield, Flynn replaces Cooke.
    In forwards, Ian Burke comes in for Sweeney. Daly for Kelly.

Personally, I would love to see Lundy given a go at wing back. He played therefor Corofin v Salthill in club championship and was fantastic. I think he could offer something for Galway, setting up attacks from running deep. The problem is that if Corofin get to the AI final, you have no opportunity to try it in the league (Will Corofin lads even be back for the last league match?) and you dont want to be trying such things in a championship match v Mayo!

I always thought Hoare deserved more chances than Pat Sweeney too

I always thought Hoare deserved more chances than Pat Sweeney too

Hoare has been given plenty of chances. Very committed guy but not good enough at that level.

My Lord... losing to Antrim at home. This will top Dublins loss if it holds like that.

Meanwhile in Tuam there's a 100 meter wait and the games about to start.

About two windows open.

Complete joke.

Anyone here now at the back will miss about 20mins.

Not even delaying it.

My Lord... losing to Antrim at home. This will top Dublins loss if it holds like that.

Meanwhile in Tuam there's a 100 meter wait and the games about to start.

About two windows open.

Complete joke.
    Anyone here now at the back will miss about 20mins.

Not even delaying it.
    Tuam sounds like a joke in fairness if that's the set up . But give the hurlers a break . There just back after winning an all Ireland . A lot of fringe and young players got a run today . The game will bring them on

Lucky enough escape in the hurling. Hanbury and Glennon swung it bigtime in the last 7 minutes. Some absolutely awful performances from Niall Burke and Flaherty though.

Thought Dolphin and Concannon were decent.

Not much to write home about. They weren't sharp but they're only just back training and Antrim fullback-line was excellent. The performance was sloppy but they rocked Antrim in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Definitely going to win the football All-Ireland this year. Thats, like, a fact.

In all seriousness it didn't sound like a good game and the conditions couldn't have been great but they managed to grind out the win. They'll need to improve if they want to stay up though.

Great for footballers to get the win . Wouldn't imagine it was a classic judging by scoreline but a good result against a top 4 team

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

What was the story with the delay in getting the crowd in?

• Advertisement

What was the story with the delay in getting the crowd in?

According to a poster above there was only 2 windows open to purchase tickets . Persume that's why

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement