Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Yeh,

They have a video link for the sgs2:

http://sim-unlock.net/video_help/Samsung/Galaxy_S_II/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That's the i9000, not the i9100...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

After 2 years with an iPhone 3G, my upgrade day is tomorrow. I've already reserved an S2 in my local O2 shop walk in and pick one up. One of the benefits of living in the UK. Whoop Whoop !!

I think I still have an Irish SIM lying about some place. If I do, I'll stick it in and see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Headshot wrote: »
    From reading forums it seems it can be unlocked by codes

http://sim-unlock.net/sim-lock/12/Unlock_by_code_for_any_Samsung_phones/

This site provides them it seems, not sure how reliable they are thou

i used this site before and i was happy all smooth so far. i dont know about sgs2 but if i will be forced i would use it again.

i know every1 is asking the same but guys does anyone from u know when is gonnna be the magic date, when the SGS2 gonna hit us?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Hey guys,

I'll have my i9100 next week and my current i9000 to compare.
    I may manufacture some comparison review on bigger and smaller differences, so if you have any questions, give me a shout and I will try to answer them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Bikerguy wrote: »
    i know every1 is asking the same but guys does anyone from u know when is gonnna be the magic date, when the SGS2 gonna hit us?

Early June is all we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 alancuran

NFC is basically a smart card tracking device built into your phone that wiill log all your purchase / movements on a datadase for two years under EU / Irish data retention directives.

NFC will raise serious privacy concerns when they start to roll out here. Give it about two to three years and you will start paying for your groceries, petrol and rail tickets with it.

NFC can also be used for person to person transactions just like cash which is even more worring. Of course we will be told that this technology will illiminate the black economy and kill off cash crime but there is a price. IE Big Brother.

http://wiseupjournal.com/?p=633

I think NFC is not too good technology and may be abused and cause a lot of problems, thiefs are smart and may exploit weaknesses of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Like all means of completing a transaction, there will be ways the unscrupulous will try to take advantage. But this is paranoia. Big brother can already track you in all sorts of ways, if you have nothing to hide, there is no problem. If you don't want to use the service, you can choose not to.

It's interesting how NFC is going to roll out in Ireland and if it will take off. Use of debit cards, even for small transactions, is a lot higher in the UK than we see in Ireland. That aside, the problem with NFC enabled cards is you still have to find your wallet/purse, remove the card from the purse and then tap it on the reader. It's not much less hassle to pop it in the card machine. NFC in a phone is a bit more attractive and convenient. I can see phone based NFC taking off in places like London, where they are used to NFC payments on public transport, using Oyster. It's a logical extension, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PlaybookTips

Bikerguy wrote: »
    499£ simfree - amazon uk...free delivery...

vodafone anounced HTC sensation - in coming soon section so i will maybe take HTC and better build quality and resolution instead of light samsung

just three, orange, o2 in UK :confused:
    http://samsunggalaxys2blog.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-news/samsung-galaxy-s2-will-not-be-nfc-enabled-in-the-uk/

Being a current HTC owner I wont be buying another "sense" enabled phone, especially now they are locking down their bootloaders. Its a clunky pos overlay. At least Touchwiz looks functional.... prob install a custom ROM there too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

I am totally torn between these two phones, I personally love sense while I feel touchwiz feels unintuitive and I think the new sense update look great. I have owned a HTC desire and a galaxy s in the last year and both phones have had their merits.

While HTC has Sense and better build quality, the Samsung has a beautifull screen and a decent amount of onboard storage. The fact that HTC locked their bootloader is a joke but so are Samsungs updates!

Just found a very good review of the new Galaxy S here

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Just found a very good review of the new Galaxy S here

Delighted to read about the battery life! Getting 1 day out of a device kind of grates after a while, so to be able to go from a full charge at the end of a work day without having to plug it in until the morning after the next will be nice for a change!
    Can't wait for mine to arrive... Stupidly cancelled and reordered on Amazon when I spotted that it was £2 cheaper yesterday morning... Would have had it in my hands today:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

bd250110 wrote: »
    I can see phone based NFC taking off in places like London, where they are used to NFC payments on public transport, using Oyster. It's a logical extension, really.
    I think NFC will become ubiquitous everywhere quicker than we think. I'm very disappointed to see there is no NFC chip in the UK models, I think it severely affects how future-proof this phone will be. There is NFC in the Korea models released at the same time, so perhaps in time it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

By the time NFC becomes ubiquitous you'll be upgrading to a new phone anyway

By the time NFC becomes ubiquitous you'll be upgrading to a new phone anyway

I can see it catching on fairly quickly in the UK, a lot sooner than I plan to "upgrade" from this phone anyway!
    Kind of pissed off about this tbh, the Amazon site still lists NFC as one of the main technical details, so you'd expect that they'd get their facts straight at least!

Has this been confirmed by anybody other than Clove? (truth be told I'd never heard of them before now, so wouldn't mind another source!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

tman wrote: »
    I can see it catching on fairly quickly in the UK, a lot sooner than I plan to "upgrade" from this phone anyway!
    Kind of pissed off about this tbh, the Amazon site still lists NFC as one of the main technical details, so you'd expect that they'd get their facts straight at least!

Has this been confirmed by anybody other than Clove? (truth be told I'd never heard of them before now, so wouldn't mind another source!)

this ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Hi all I'm only new on here although I've looked on boards many times for help and answers on a range of topics! I'm currently using an iPhone 4 jailbroken, Ive gotten to the stage that I just don't want anything to do with apple anymore, without a jailbreak their phones are useless, and even with u just know apple are limiting what the phone can do, I.e. iPhone 4 1ghz chip only running at 700mb to save battery! Anyway I'm fairly well versed in all this smart phone stuff, mainly due to having to teach myself ways round apples built in limitations. I definitely intend to get a samsung galaxy s2, it simply at the moment cannot be beat and being android saves me from the all controlling apple. Now on NFC and the fact that it won't be on the uk version of the phone I'll say this, it's no big deal there is little or no NFC tech in Ireland and only marginally more in uk, so u won't use it anyway! I also rang samsung on Friday to ask when the handset would be officially released in Ireland, their reply????? We launched it in the uk 1 may so it is available, when I said I'm in Ireland not the uk, I was repeatedly told it was launched in my country and I can easily get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

According to Samsung Mobile Ireland's Facebook page, the Samsung Galaxy S II will be released in Ireland on 1 June 2011 on Vodafone, O2, Meteor, 3 and eMobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joeymcd

I am out of contract at the moment and waiting for the Galaxy 2 before I sign a new contract. I am wondering witch network has the best coverage in the West of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

tman wrote: »

I think someone has already built nfc into a sim card, so I dont think it will be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,930 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is the S2 not on prepay with o2.co.uk anymore ?

marathont wrote: »
    I think someone has already built nfc into a sim card, so I dont think it will be a problem.

If this sim card is free then it won't be a problem, but if I have to pay extra for something that was originally a major selling point of this phone for me, then yeah... Problem!

ugh seems that o2 deal has expired

anywhere else that it can be gotten for a good deal?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://phonetitan.com/samsung-galaxy-ii-source-code-released/
    Samsung have just released the source code for their Samsung Galaxy S II phone. This is brilliant news, as now we will see a lot of amazing roms and goodies from our friends at XDA. The Samsung Galaxy S II will be the most popular Android phone this year, and it is the most powerful phone that’s currently out. If your a developer and your interested in downloading the source code, then you can find it at Samsung’s Open Source Developers Center.

Anyone have any news on the price plans for this from meteor, or any other operator? Have meteor even conceded to the phones existance yet? even though we all know it will ships June 1st

I imagine the price plans will stay the same at a guess I think the phone will cost between, 180 to maybe 220euro.

They are not going to announce the same as every other operator... it will be out on 1st of june or soon after nothing to be done but waiting.

Yeah I was thinking the same, mad expensive when you compare it to the UK prices.

While our tarrifs are more expensive most of the pricing you see on the uk sites is based on a 24month contract where as most irish is 18month.

Folks where's the best priced unlocked S2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Advertisement