Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BDJW wrote: »
    Been reading up on this today. It may even draw me away from my beloved iPhone when it comes out :D!
    My IPhone 4 got nicked recently, just having a glympse of the specks and features on this is turning me towards wanting one now. Tempted to get one in from the UK before they come out here. :)

One of the reasons why I am leaving Apple. :p

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/iphone_location_tracking_leads_to_privacy_lawsuit/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Hilarious that you were using such a closed "big-brother" system in the first place :)

srsly78 wrote: »
    Hilarious that you were using such a closed "big-brother" system in the first place :)
    All mobile phones are "Big Brother" tools just that Smart Phones shows it right in your face.

I am aware that the authorities can request details of your where abouts and technical data from service providers if they suspect crime but dumping your every day quordinates from your IPhone on to your laptop every time you dock without your concent it s totally out of order.

Your Laptop gets swiped and then some Hacker can flog on your your every day movements including the exact times you are away from your home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Apple, Microsoft and especially google does this too. Now the processes in which they take the data is different. Microsoft doesnt store it anywhere but its servers, Google stores around 3 months of data in the phone and iOS seems to be collecting a years results and storing them on the PC and the Phone.

So they all do it. Especially google since their job is to collect data and analyze it :)

Each comapany does that because it helps them improve the mapping services and make it easier for phones to establish a GPS lock with a weak signal.

Apple, Microsoft and especially google does this too. Now the processes in which they take the data is different. Microsoft doesnt store it anywhere but its servers, Google stores around 3 months of data in the phone and iOS seems to be collecting a years results and storing them on the PC and the Phone.

So they all do it. Especially google since their job is to collect data and analyze it :)

Each comapany does that because it helps them improve the mapping services and make it easier for phones to establish a GPS lock with a weak signal.
    Surely this could be done anomalously and also why do they have to store time stamps, the persons ID and the exact longitude and latitude. I am convinced that there is something far more sinister behind this. Are they providing this data to a third party for reward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I decided to stick with this over the htc sensation having seen some of the reviews so far, hopefully o have it next week but some people in the uk are reporting to have received theirs already over on xda.

I've a friend working in meteor sales who said they hope to have it by the end of may on billpay, no mention on price ect though.

Incedently I've got some cases for the s2 over on adverts if anyone's looking for one - http://www.adverts.ie/accessories/samsung-galaxy-s2-i9100-hard-case/553809

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FYFI

Apple, Microsoft and especially google does this too.
    Google collects info ONLY if you have enabled this option when setting up phone for first time. Also, it can be easily disabled in options at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

That's right, Google don't have access to your data on android, such as maps, email, location, purchases, browsing history... Oh wait, they do. Just like they have it on most people's computers. Heck, the even send your voice instructions back to their servers!

Google is big brother. Apple are just sloppy leaving it available for any would be thief.

Except nowadays thieves don't need your phone to find where you are. Most people spend their day telling the world where they are on twitter and Facebook and checking into places. You don't need to go very far to find this info.

This is a storm in a tea cup. It's great excuse for people to bang on about infringement of their rights etc., but those same people font take it as seriously when theyre the ones broadcasting their location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

By the way, I use nearly every product google have made. I know they track me, but they don't care what I'm up to, just what ads they should ram down my throat

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Meanwhile, anyone want to hazard a guess (educated or otherwise) as to what the pricing is likely to be for the S II?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I would say between €200-€299 on billpay, depending on tariff. I'd prefer it to be lower but, since it's a high-end handset, mobile networks will price accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Fair guess, I'd say. It is a phones4u exclusive until 01 May, and they are offering it "free" on £35+/month tariffs. Similar pricing to the iPhone4, really. So if you want a reference, that would be roughly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I reckon your off the mark there:

Uk 18 month contracts with 100min and 500 texts 139GBP

I reckon youll be talking around 180euro here

fionny wrote: »
    I reckon your off the mark there:

Uk 18 month contracts with 100min and 500 texts 139GBP

I reckon youll be talking around 180euro here

I was thinking 180 too. Maybe 160 if we're really lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

the samsung galaxy 1 was 450 euros to buy outright.wonder if it will be much dearer?probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Having used an iPhone since it was first released 4 years ago, I find myself itching for a change. Not only that but I use the iPhone 4 a lot for browsing in work and despite it's amazing screen, I find it's just too small - deffo want a bigger screen. Having seen the reviews and videos of the Galaxy S 2 I am sooo tempted to place my order on clove.co.uk.........

Is clove the best place to get it sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

The SGSII looks to be the king of the Droids right now. I doubt the Sensation will be as good, but am waiting to see.

My two concerns are Kies and the screen saturation. I hear it's possible to change this in the settings, so it might be all good. I suppose with the lies of double twist, etc there is not much need to mess with Kies.

Im eager to get my hand on this, the screen size is a concern. Being used to the iPhone and HTC Desire, I am worried it might be a bit too big. IF tis the same size as the HD, it will be a no go for me. Looks nice and slim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

bd250110 wrote: »
    My two concerns are Kies and the screen saturation. I hear it's possible to change this in the settings, so it might be all good. I suppose with the lies of double twist, etc there is not much need to mess with Kies.
    I actually like the look of the screen saturation, but yes, it's possible to change it, apparently :)

I'm a Mac user, so Kies is a bit of an annoyance alright. I'd only ever need it for updates mind you, and even then only if I've managed to resist rooting before the updates start emerging. So not a deal breaker. But I don't know why Samsung don't just do over the air updates like HTC.

Really looking forward to getting this. I ran quadrant on my pimped-out, overclocked Hero this evening and scored... 214. As against the S II's 3300 odd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I've had my iPhone 3GS for 2 years now and this is the first android phone i've seriously considered buying. The only thing holding me back is all the apps I've purchased, but even that might not stop me buying one when I get my hands on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

bd250110 wrote: »
    The SGSII looks to be the king of the Droids right now. I doubt the Sensation will be as good, but am waiting to see.

Im eager to get my hand on this, the screen size is a concern. Being used to the iPhone and HTC Desire, I am worried it might be a bit too big. IF tis the same size as the HD, it will be a no go for me. Looks nice and slim though.

yes the size, and the plasticy feel of samsungs, and the samsung OS, compared to the two phones you had there..

Personally I find the Super AOLED saturation on the SGS a bit unnatural, perhaps it is because the colors really 'pop' against the true black. The size is my biggest concern, I found the SGS fine size-wise, but it does look huge in videos, etc. Im just hoping those Korean girls were very small!

I am looking forward to getting my grubby paws all over it, see what the build is like. If it creaks like the SGS did, it's a no go. I had a look at the DesireS the other day. Beautifully crafted phone. please Samsung, makes an SGS II metal edition. :eek:

I don't recall the slightly breathless engadget review mentioning Kies. The SGS II seems to have an OTA version which can be used in a web browser. I suppose a bit like the OTA marketplace from a PC/Mac. Hopefully nay future updates might be available that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I couldn't resist and ordered the SGSII on clove :D

Selling my iPhone 4 this week :(

I'm really not sure if I'll take to the Android eco system, since I'm so invested in Apple.

Time will tell though, and I'm excited to finally get a smartphone with such good credentials on top of a large screen!

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm really not sure if I'll take to the Android eco system, since I'm so invested in Apple.

I loved my 3gs before I bought my Galaxy S last year, and while there are some small things I'd miss about the iphone, I can't see myself moving away from android any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'm waiting on the S II to be released by the mobile networks before I buy one as I'm due an upgrade and it would be pointless, for me, just to buy the handset outright when I can get a substantial discount. The end of May can't come soon enough!

Elessar wrote: »
    I couldn't resist and ordered the SGSII on clove :D

Selling my iPhone 4 this week :(

Time will tell though, and I'm excited to finally get a smartphone with such good credentials on top of a large screen!

but but but your iphone!? Dare you to post this on the apple forum :) Just be warned tho, samsung ****ed up the original galaxy s. Hopefully they will get it right this time! Also samsung kies software is a load of rubbish, similar to itunes. Other android phones don't need a pc-based software suite at all for updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

...Just be warned tho, samsung ****ed up the original galaxy s. Hopefully they will get it right this time!...

What did they actually **** up? I have Galaxy S and don't see anything wrong with it - software or hardware wise, no problems with battery, GPS - nothing.

Maybe you got it after the fix, but the stock one had some terrible filesystem bug that made it slow down over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Maybe you got it after the fix, but the stock one had some terrible filesystem bug that made it slow down over time.

Doesn't the Galaxy S II come with ext4 as standard ?

• Advertisement

Oh I'm not worried about them making the same mistake. Just not very confident with Samsung software! Don't like their touchwiz skin either, what will happen with android 3.0? No touchwiz on galaxy tab 2?

Advertisement