Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Just pre-ordered one of these bad boys... There's me complaining about being broke all the time, then the moment I get a raise in work, I wax the lot!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think this is the phone for me gents. I've been wanting to upgrade my N900 for a while now, and this seems to tick all the boxes. I'll probably wait a while though...can't justify the price seeing that i'll be paying full whack since im on prepay.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

srsly78 wrote: »
    Just not very confident with Samsung software
    Same boat. Sammy makes damn good hardware but im just too worried ill have software issues if i go for SGS2.

Galaxy S had it.
    Omnia 7 has issues

SGS2 anyone?

Seems most handsets have alot less problems than what sammy brings to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Same boat. Sammy makes damn good hardware but im just too worried ill have software issues if i go for SGS2.

Galaxy S had it.
    Omnia 7 has issues

SGS2 anyone?

Seems most handsets have alot less problems than what sammy brings to the game.
    It has an unlocked bootloader, so rooting and custom ROMs are always an option. The reviews so far seem very positive though. No mention of lag, crashes, GPS problems, etc. The opposite in fact.

EDIT: Rooted already - now that was fast!

I know where you're coming from. I've thought long and hard about Samsung's problems when deciding between this and the Sensation. But the unlocked bootloader and superior specs pushed things in Samsung's favour, and then the reviews this thing is getting just killed the Sensation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well that's the main reason I'm not buying either at the launch. There's always a bug or a glitch when they release it to the masses.
    So gonna stay back and watch :)

And its not a full cf root :) and in secure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

And its not a full cf root :) and in secure
    True, but the thing hasn't even officially launched yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

The SGS II is currently on sale at phones4u in the UK. Retail exclusive till 01 May.

Like I have said earlier, looks to be a great phone. Hopefully Samsung can get it out of the gate without major problems. Given Samsungs starting position to produce a phone of this quality and spec is astounding. The SGS was their first foray into high end Smartphones- spec wise (Prada and Armani phones were basically Tocco's with a designer dinner jacket). They have really harnessed their processor and screen production to give their own lines the best of the best - at a great price.

I'm sure there will be compromises with this device. Same to be said of the Sensation, or iPhone. The SGS II is undoubtedly the current benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Its looking strongly like June for the networks, Over in the three forum someone posted a screenie of a Three Ireland tweet saying June also, now whether Meteor (rumour has it they will be sharing 3g coverage with o2 soon?) will have it at the same time... if they do I might stick otherwise ill jump ship....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 iclickr

has anyone bought from phonesonline.ie
    they have the samsung galaxy s2 now

• Advertisement

Im sure they're fine but Expansys is a known entity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jersey_shore

seanp_25 wrote: »

thinking of buying this, is it just a case of putting my vodafone sim in this and it will work?

Pretty much, you might need to configure a few settings like MMS etc all those should be easy to find on the carriers site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Just seen one on adverts if anyones interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I've bought from here before and they were good. In stock now and €586 delivered versus €607 from expansys.ie

Wish I had a spare 600euro knocking about... :( cant wait to get me a new phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

I didn't realise that the version we get here won't have the NFC chip. Can't see much use for that anyway.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that the version we get here won't have the NFC chip. Can't see much use for that anyway.

Aye, tbh NFC probably wont be common place for a fair while so there is no panic with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

O2.co.uk have it on their online shop for €444 euro however, apparently you will not be able to unlock the device for approximately 90 days.

Sadly i can't register an Irish address on the site :(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Axe Rake wrote: »
    O2.co.uk have it on their online shop for €444 euro however, apparently you will not be able to unlock the device for approximately 90 days.

Sadly i can't register an Irish address on the site :(

I was just about to post this:

I found this article online:
    We have some great news for anyone looking to purchase the Samsung Galaxy S2, UK mobile phone operator O2 have slashed their price of the smartphone to under £400, making it £100 cheaper than Expansys SIM free version.

However, there is a snag attached to this offer, you will not be able to unlock the device for approximately 90 days. However, do not fret as the handset can still be used with O2, Giff Gaff or Tesco Mobile, which between them have some of the most competitive deals on the market.

The Samsung Galaxy S2, which was only launched in February 2011, is already believed to be one of the main rivals to the forthcoming iPhone 5, which it is hoped will launch next month, but rumours indicate that it may not release until the Fall – see article here.

Features included with the Samsung Galaxy S2 the world’s slimmest phone at only 8.49mm thick are a 4.3-inch WVGA Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen, a dual core 1.2GHz Exynos system, 1GB RAM with 16GB onboard storage, a two-megapixel front facing camera and an eight-megapixel rear camera.

Information on this deal comes to us by way of ItProPortal and is available from the O2 online store. The deal is available on any of the five Pay & Go tariffs currently being offered, which means that for the first month you will have to fork out at least an additional £7.50 top-up.

If you are still undecided if this is the smartphone for you, then why not check out our article on the spec comparison between HTC Sensation, iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S 2 and hopefully this will help in your decision making. Please let us know what you decide in the comment box below

So the questions are:

1/ If I bought it from the 02 UK store, would it work with an 02 Irish sim card?
    2/ If I bought it from the 02 UK store, would it work with a Tesco Mobile Irish sim card?

Seriously tempted to get it at €445. I can get it posted to the North :) However, when I go to try and buy in online, it just says this page is not available. I dont think its anything to do with my IP address being in the South, seems to be an error with their website.

I wonder would any of the 02 shops in Northern Ireland have them in stock yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man im not sure of what to do now

The S II looks a sexy beast and probably cheaper than the HTC sensation when it comes out

Damn which one will I go for :confused:

Also im wondering about the above o2 price, its basically £399, I wont have to pay anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Headshot wrote: »
    man im not sure of what to do now

The S II looks a sexy beast and probably cheaper than the HTC sensation when it comes out

Damn which one will I go for :confused:

Also im wondering about the above o2 price, its basically £399, I wont have to pay anything else?

399 and a hefty contract no doubt * just saw this was o2 uk, that seems cheap...

I was going to get a mark 2 but its insane money for what is basically a galaxy mark 1 with a bigger screen, a bit thinner and more oomph

thanks, but no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

499£ simfree - amazon uk...free delivery...

vodafone anounced HTC sensation - in coming soon section so i will maybe take HTC and better build quality and resolution instead of light samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

DRose1 wrote: »

So the questions are:

1/ If I bought it from the 02 UK store, would it work with an 02 Irish sim card?
    2/ If I bought it from the 02 UK store, would it work with a Tesco Mobile Irish sim card?

Seriously tempted to get it at €445. I can get it posted to the North :) However, when I go to try and buy in online, it just says this page is not available. I dont think its anything to do with my IP address being in the South, seems to be an error with their website.

dunno about tesco but i dont think the irish O2 sim card will work in an mobile
    locked to O2 Uk. Something about them being different companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

I'm currently using the Galaxy S I9000 and its by far the the phone I have ever had. When I heard that the new Galaxy would be a 4.3" screen I was practly wetting myself at the thought of getting one.

The I tried the HTC Desire HD as that also has a 4.3" screen. I knew the Galaxy would be much better, I just wanted to try the screen size.

I have to say I didn't like it. When holding the phone in one hand you can't reach the top left corner with your thumb (holding it in the right hand) The chap in the shop said it's a 2 handed phone and he was also surprised that he was also not mad about the 4.3" screen.

I hope to god my thumb gets about an inch longer before I get the SGS2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I cancelled my order from Clove.co.uk because they were incapable of sending out all orders on the day it was released and even more incapable of telling their customers when their phone is likely to ship. What a waste of time.

To top it off they take your money when they receive the stock, not when they ship it, so I have to get a refund - turns out I will lose close to €11 because of the conversion fee my credit card charges :mad: If they charge when they ship like most other companies this wouldn't have happened!!!

To hell with them.

I ordered yesterday from phonesonline.ie instead - and the SGS2 is on it's way to me. Over €20 cheaper than Clove too, even after the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

DRose1 wrote: »

So the questions are:

I imagine that the carrier lock would be to the specific MCC/MNC codes for the carriers, and they are different for each carrier in each country - so no, I expect it would not work - if you have a sim locked phone now you could test it by ordering a free sim card in the UK and seeing if it works here

Easy to unlock the phone?

Doubt unlock is ready yet, however there was a chip knocking around that you put infront of your SIM card that spoofed an unlock turbochip or something... cost like 25USD

• Advertisement

From reading forums it seems it can be unlocked by codes

http://sim-unlock.net/sim-lock/12/Unlock_by_code_for_any_Samsung_phones/

This site provides them it seems, not sure how reliable they are thou

Advertisement