Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

waynecur wrote: »
    How did u get that price. I had tried Play.com but they said they dont deliver electronics to ireland. AND it was €635

Tried Amazon, they had told me it would be dispatched 13th/14th MAY, then when i payed this changed to 3rd to 16th June. So cancelled.

Then bought it on mobilefun.co.uk...paid with credit card €600. then got email to say they cant do security checks on international credit cards, and dont accept.(day after i went through paying rigmaroll)THEY WANTED BANK TRANSFER. So again cancelled.

WHY DO THEY MAKE IT SO HARD???????????

I was so pissed off i woulda paid anything... hence ebay.
    Think itll be worth it though.

small recomendation...wait for few days that u would spend waiting anyway due to extended delivery time and u will find the SGS2 on adverts or maybe in the shop already...is worth save 100+ for few extra days that would not make any diference for u..

and u can still use phonesonline or expansys

• Registered Users Posts: 54,008 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do amazon only take the money when the item is posted?

On another note

Play have it as 509.99 pounds and if you convert it to the euro on their site, it goes to 637.49

using xe.com

509.99 pounds is only 587 euro

This is why i hate play.com tbh, im not sure can you pay by pound either

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Headshot wrote: »
    Do amazon only take the money when the item is posted?

i made 10+ transactions through amazon and i was charged immediately when i made the purchase (check-out)...but i cant confirm that in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Bikerguy wrote: »
    i made 10+ transactions through amazon and i was charged immediately when i made the purchase (check-out)...but i cant confirm that in this case.

Chances are it was just a pre-auth to check that you actually have the funds on your card, so if you check your statement then it'll show minus the money but won't actually show the transaction. Your card only gets charged properly when the item has shipped with Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

waynecur wrote: »
    How did u get that price. I had tried Play.com but they said they dont deliver electronics to ireland. AND it was €635

Tried Amazon, they had told me it would be dispatched 13th/14th MAY, then when i payed this changed to 3rd to 16th June. So cancelled.

Then bought it on mobilefun.co.uk...paid with credit card €600. then got email to say they cant do security checks on international credit cards, and dont accept.(day after i went through paying rigmaroll)THEY WANTED BANK TRANSFER. So again cancelled.

WHY DO THEY MAKE IT SO HARD???????????

I was so pissed off i woulda paid anything... hence ebay.
    Think itll be worth it though.

Maybe re-order with amazon and be patient. If you hadnt cancelled your amazon order it sounds like you wouldve had it right now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Anybody got any info on when it'll be available on contract via one of the networks here?

In or around 1st of june.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Christ.

tl;dw over 4000 in quadrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

http://www.mobot.net/samsung-confirm...uk-month-23138

Looks like NFC version is comming to UK after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Baza210 wrote: »

Christ.

tl;dw over 4000 in quadrant.

Looks like the 3D tests doesn't go above 60fps. Is this a limitation of the benchmark?

Stays at 59-60fps at 1.2GHz so you'd think it would go through that at 1.5GHz but it's like it's hitting a limit.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Looks like the 3D tests doesn't go above 60fps. Is this a limitation of the benchmark?

No its a software built in cap on the phone, they all do it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Because the screen only refreshes at 60hz. Rendering any more than this is just wasting battery. Same situation with PC games and VSYNC. Quadrant isnt a very good benchmark btw, hilarious that people take it so seriously.

It's not built into all phones. My personal benchmarks shows the LG optimus running at ~120 FPS (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4436079/images/cheezburger-optimus.png, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4436079/images/cheezburger-optimus2.png). This just means render function is being called 120 times per second tho, the screen still only displays at 60hz. Pretty bad bug tbh, means device is wasting battery. HTC Desire, Nexus S, Nexus One will never go above ~60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Got mine today from Amazon, two days for deliver. It's a fantastic phone, compared to my trusty old Hero it's smooth and slick and has much better 3g and wifi performance. Have no idea of battery life yet, will just have to wait and see. Anyway, thrilled with my purchase so far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I'm very interested to hear about the battery performance so if you guys can report back I'd appreciate it. I'm even thinking of underclocking it to get better battery life - its so dam fast you could take the speed way down and it would still be plenty fast for normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

valdigre wrote: »
    http://www.mobot.net/samsung-confirm...uk-month-23138

Looks like NFC version is coming to UK after all...

That link didn't work for me, here it is again

And I fixed your typo;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

But does it really matter about getting tghe NFC version, won't we all just be getting NFC simcards anyway?

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah I'm very interested to hear about the battery performance so if you guys can report back I'd appreciate it. I'm even thinking of underclocking it to get better battery life - its so dam fast you could take the speed way down and it would still be plenty fast for normal use.

These arm chips are supposed to clock themselves down automatically when idle. If you need to mod this stuff yourself then it means the manufacturer has done a bad job.

a few carphone warehouse shops in the north have this phone

Wish I didnt live in Munster :(

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »

Ditto about battery life. Do you think there is any need to underclock it, any adjustments you make to the cpu settings are likely to either cause lag when you need the speed, or use more battery, I would have thought.
    Using the Android System Info app (available for free on the Android Market), we found confirmation that the Galaxy S II is indeed running a 1.2GHz ARMv7 dual-core processor, but more importantly, we also dug up a breakdown of how often the SOC was reaching that max speed. Only 9.2 percent of our use harnessed the full 1.2GHz, with Samsung wisely downclocking its chip to as low as 200MHz when the phone's idling (that accounted for 46 percent of the Galaxy S II's uptime). What's impressive about this is that we never hit upon any performance bumps to indicate that we were running at slower speeds. Clearly, Samsung's power management system is doing its job well.

That was 9.2% percent of the time during the day they were testing the phone -presumably pushing it

That full review can be found here

This isn't anything new, all the older android phones are supposed to do this as well. Good to know Samsung are DOINGITRITE tho :D

srsly78 wrote: »
    This isn't anything new, all the older android phones are supposed to do this as well. Good to know Samsung are DOINGITRITE tho :D

I know, but I expect this just works a lot better with dual core processors, from power management point of view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Had a 100% charge this morning and it's down to under 15% now...:(
    I was playing with it a fair bit, but also had to work and stuff in between, so it wasn't exactly full out testing!
    Brightness was set to auto (and is still gloriously bright most of the time!), GPS and Bluetooth off, wifi and sync on

I guess I'll get a good bit more juice out of it on more average days when it isn't my shiny new plaything, and perhaps (fingers crossed) the gauge is totally off right now, but it's looking like my dream of getting 2 days between charges out of it might not happen:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

I'm going to give it a full charge tonight see how it goes tomorrow. I've been using it constantly today so not a true test. Incidentally I rooted it a few minutes ago. Was so simple compared to rooting my hero.:)

tman wrote: »
    Had a 100% charge this morning and it's down to under 15% now...:(
    I was playing with it a fair bit, but also had to work and stuff in between, so it wasn't exactly full out testing!
    Brightness was set to auto (and is still gloriously bright most of the time!), GPS and Bluetooth off, wifi and sync on

I guess I'll get a good bit more juice out of it on more average days when it isn't my shiny new plaything, and perhaps (fingers crossed) the gauge is totally off right now, but it's looking like my dream of getting 2 days between charges out of it might not happen:(

from my experience the first full charge isnt a "reall full" charge...u have to "format" the battery. from what i was reading the battery should last 1 day (24h) at least under heavy usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lemminkainen

Mine just arrived today also from Amazon.co.uk.

It is superb apart from requiring wifi ssid to be visible and my vodafone sim is not recognised.

Anyone else having these problems?

Mine just arrived today also from Amazon.co.uk.

It is superb apart from requiring wifi ssid to be visible and my vodafone sim is not recognised.

Anyone else having these problems?

the device should be unlocked - SIM FREE. btw mate are u using the normal size Sim card? because a friend of mine was trying tu use the small version(its the same size but the chip is smaller) - microone...and he had also troubles with phone untill his sim was replaced and all was sorted.

when he used the micro sim - the phone asked him for pin and everything was going smooth untill the main screen apeared and he coudlnt get any signal - and the device was giving him msg - sim card not supported - or not recognized. he got replacement the same day.(sim replacement)

that may be the case...or tell us what msg is giving u the phone when u insert the sim...is it asking for PIN number? or its not finding network at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lemminkainen

Thanks for your reply Bikerguy, yes the phone is not locked. Could it be that UK phones do not allow UK sims?

I dont get any messages, unless I try to make a call, then I am told that "mobile network not available".

My sim is the larger type.

• Advertisement

once is the device unlocked -Sim FREE it should work with any sim card inserted...thats mean no restriction for UK or ROI...

are u getting full signal and also 3g conexion while not trying to make a call?

and the sim card size is the same..whats matter is the chip size... the gold metal part..:) if u have another sim compare it...its worth a try..:)

Advertisement