Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

zuroph wrote: »
    So later this week (once my free credit with o2 runs out) I'll be sticking in my 3 pre pay Sim and porting my number. Phone is galaxy s2, unlocked, seems to be UK firmware (I player installed). its on gingerbread at present.
    So, what do I need to know? any unusual steps, or settings I need to change? any must install apps for 3? Anything that will stop working?

Should I root now, update firmware now, what? I hear theres a lot of bloat on 3's ics...
    Is tethering allowed? Can they tell?

There is no chance that you will get 3 ICS as you don't have a 3 phone. The software is IMEI [phone] based, not SIM based.

Try this. I've been on it for the past month or two and is very stable. A few small issues, but nothing to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

zuroph wrote: »
    So later this week (once my free credit with o2 runs out) I'll be sticking in my 3 pre pay Sim and porting my number. Phone is galaxy s2, unlocked, seems to be UK firmware (I player installed). its on gingerbread at present.
    So, what do I need to know? any unusual steps, or settings I need to change? any must install apps for 3? Anything that will stop working?

Should I root now, update firmware now, what? I hear theres a lot of bloat on 3's ics...
    Is tethering allowed? Can they tell?
    I'm sure you'd be able to find Three's ICS online somewhere and flash it with odin yourself if you really wanted to, but the official samsung one would have less bloat. So yeah if you dont want to mess around with custom ROMs and the like, flash the one straight from samsung.

about tethering, according to a 3 rep on here, if you signed up before January you are allowed to tether on all you can eat data. that being said, if you use this, i doubt they'd notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Herby12

Just about tethering on All you can eat data from 3 read terms and conditions and you will find that tethering is not allowed. I´m with 3 and have all you can eat data and when I using tethering is available just for couple of times and after that becomes unavailable. Don´t really like this. But good luck. I felt so bad when I find out this.Always read terms and condition first!!!!! My bad. http://shop.three.ie/terms/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/
    term5

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    I think it's a widget.Just long press on the home screen and a menu for widgets and short cuts will pop up.Then pick the one you want and off you go.

Did that and found it, thanks a mill. This forum is brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I flashed my S2 with ICS I9100OXALPS a few days ago. Seems very stable, no issues.

Today I noticed an horizontal black line on the screen (hardware issue). I need to drop into Meteor to see what they can do.

Do I need to flash it back to meteor stock firmware before they will look at it? It is not rooted.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

On three's official ICS firmware upgrade. Not rooted etc, but has anyone else noticed that GPS lock takes aaaaaages since upgrade?

I used to get a lock in second's pre-ICS, actually considering reverting back to see if it solves the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Think I've seen it referenced here before but what's the story with the T9 part of the dialer not working? ICS in general or just westcrip's Resurrection Remix?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like I flashed the default instead of the fixed Dialer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Cossax wrote: »
    Think I've seen it referenced here before but what's the story with the T9 part of the dialer not working? ICS in general or just westcrip's Resurrection Remix?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like I flashed the default instead of the fixed Dialer.
    There is a T9 dialer fix available for Resurrection Remix v1.1

http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyS2/roms/ResurrectionICSROM/PRO/1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cloonbigman

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering if anyone knows where i might source a noontec A9 android tv box? Only places I've find em so far have been maplin.co.UK and they're out of stock till Jan and on Australian ebay but the dood wants nearly the cost of the box in postage? if anyone is browsing and they come across one please let me know thanx!

You can get it in Maplin Ireland now but I think it costs around 200€ so it's much cheaper to buy on eBay or Amazon from UK. I've ordered one, should get it this week. I'll let you know if it's worth buying

Just to let you know I got this device and it's not very good. I returned it in the end... There's a good reason why Gingerbread was built as a phone OS! It's not terrible either, just a bit annoying and not quite up to scratch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

got the new sII(insurance replacement) saturday week ago. the next day the data/wapp internet stopped connecting. went in to the shop and they reset to factory and it started working again. last thurs/fri it stopped again!!

try all the diff apn stuff and did a factory reset myself but still nowt

any suggestions or should i go back to the shop again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

yes, go back to that shop again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Here's a few shortcuts I never knew existed. Most probably know them, but one or two might make someones life easier!
    • You can focus your camera on a specific thing by touching that area on your screen
    • Pressing the homescreen and power button together creates a screen shot.
    • If you turn off auto-brightness, you can brighten the screen with a swipe of the finger. Just press the notifications area and move your finger left or right.#
    • Like on other Samsung Androids, swiping a contact to the left calls them, to the right texts them.
    • The Galaxy S2 doesn’t automatically reflow the text in the webpage if you zoom in. But if you just goto settings and check the ‘auto-fit pages’ option, all is well again.
    • Testing Mode: *#0*# in the dialer enters the LCD test mode, useful if you are hunting for dead pixels or a few other things.
    • Search Key: The SGS2 like the SGS doesn’t have a dedicated search key that all other Android devices have, but if you long press menu, it doubles as a search key and pulls search up, wherever you need it.
    • Go to Settings => About this phone. Keep tapping android version :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Well certainly didn't know about the last one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Paparazzo wrote: »
    [*]If you turn off auto-brightness, you can brighten the screen with a swipe of the finger. Just press the notifications area and move your finger left or right.#

Does this also work when you pull out your phone in the sun and it takes a few seconds to auto-adjust brightness? Can be annoying when you're in a rush to use the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

I downloaded the XXLPJ Open europe version from samfirmware.

2 issues -

1. QWERTZ keyboard layout (no issue - installed custom keybord anyway)

2. The network signal isn't great at all. When reviewing the battery use, the mobile network signal is very patchy but only when data is activated. Connecting to a wwbpage can be hit and miss. wasn't an issue before the upgrade.

Is any of this to do with the ROM I used?

Anybody else come across these issues?

I installed this one too. For phone calls it's great but can't get mobile data to work.
    I've checked the settings" Packed data on, APNs" etc but no joy.
    WIFI works fine.
    Any one any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Try flashing another modem/baseband. I'm on LPQ at the min and finding signal is good, no issues with data browsing on phone or using phone as hot spot. It was better than the other LP modems I'd tried previously.

It's a bit of trial and error, try a few and see what result is. It'll do no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'm looking for XWKJ1 firmware and stock kernel but can't find and links that are live, can anybody help me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Does this also work when you pull out your phone in the sun and it takes a few seconds to auto-adjust brightness? Can be annoying when you're in a rush to use the phone
    You have to have auto brightness turned off completely. I had a brightness button on the top left of my home page, used to use that. Now with this swipe brightness thing, I don't need it.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Anyone have a problem of echo during calls? Everyone that rings me says it's terrible. Fine my end, but apparently almost unlistenable at the other end
    To answer my own question, turns out its the case that gives it echo.
    I know this is a popular phone cover: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPERGETS-SAMSUNG-INCLUDED-PROTECTOR-POLISHING/dp/B004W4IRMI/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334315931&sr=1-4
    But turns out it's unusable for me because of the echo issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I can't get the swipe thing to adjust the brightness. I
    what am I doing wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Just be sure you have auto brightness off and dont pull down on the notification bar, just place your finger on it and then move left or right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Jarren wrote: »
    Just be sure you have auto brightness off and dont pull down on the notification bar, just place your finger on it and then move left or right.
    Sorted cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

https://twitter.com/#!/SamKiesUpdates/status/190789747940143104

Android 4.0 update released on kies for Vodafone, I9100BULPC/I9100VDILP6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

ShaneU wrote: »

Do you need a pit and csc file to flash this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Had some issues with Resurrection Remix 1.2 so stayed with 1.1 until today. 1.3 seems to have fixed them - as long as the battery holds up I'll be very happy!

SGS2 might be a fantastic phone but Samsung are a sh1te company. That's 2 mobile operators who have managed to release ICS via KIES and yet Samsung haven't released it for SIM Free.
    Don't bother reminding me about ODIN cos i can't be arsed with trying to backup and restore all my contacts and apps etc and then trying to sync again with Facebook and LinkedIn.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

derekeire wrote: »

SGS2 might be a fantastic phone but Samsung are a sh1te company. That's 2 mobile operators who have managed to release ICS via KIES and yet Samsung haven't released it for SIM Free.
    Don't bother reminding me about ODIN cos i can't be arsed with trying to backup and restore all my contacts and apps etc and then trying to sync again with Facebook and LinkedIn.
    What do you mean by Sim Free ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Your contacts and apps are synched with your google account.
    Sign in to gmail, and your contacts will appear again, sign in to google play, any previously downloaded apps should also reappear.

If you've been using Android for any length of time, you really should know that by now.
    Hardly much point giving out if you've not educated yourself on how things work, is there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I believe that Samsung have said that they won't release the version for sim free phones until after all operators have approved it. The thinking being that if it won't work for a particular operator then there they shouldn't have unlocked phones on that network trying to use it before the operator has approved it.

robinph wrote: »
    I believe that Samsung have said that they won't release the version for sim free phones until after all operators have approved it. The thinking being that if it won't work for a particular operator then there they shouldn't have unlocked phones on that network trying to use it before the operator has approved it.

...which is a bunch of pants :) I don't believe it for a second. The best part is that it was Meteor who sold me my generic XEU phone in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

Grassey wrote: »
    Try flashing another modem/baseband. I'm on LPQ at the min and finding signal is good, no issues with data browsing on phone or using phone as hot spot. It was better than the other LP modems I'd tried previously.

It's a bit of trial and error, try a few and see what result is. It'll do no harm.

Cheers man.
    I'll try that.

Advertisement