Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I installed the Ice Cream Sandwich update on my SGS2 earlier and first impressions are it is...slow. Slower than Gingerbread that's for sure. The display seemed nicer to look at on GB too, the ICS display seems much more pixelated and off colour. Can't see too many major differences after that...

I might just change back to GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Elessar wrote: »
    I installed the Ice Cream Sandwich update on my SGS2 earlier and first impressions are it is...slow. Slower than Gingerbread that's for sure. The display seemed nicer to look at on GB too, the ICS display seems much more pixelated and off colour. Can't see too many major differences after that...

I might just change back to GB.

Where did you get this ICS update?
    There is no official version released as of yet!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Where did you get this ICS update?
    There is no official version released as of yet!

It has been leaked the past few weeks.

Can't say I'm impressed with it.

It has been leaked the past few weeks.

Can't say I'm impressed with it.

The latest leak 'LPH' is still a beta version, so don't be too harsh on it, it's not a finished product yet! :D

I tried it myself, but went back to GB too!

The latest leak 'LPH' is still a beta version, so don't be too harsh on it, it's not a finished product yet! :D

I tried it myself, but went back to GB too!

Hmm think I'll wait for the finished product like yourself!

Can you tell me what the name of the firmware you use for GB is called? Think mine ended in KE1.

• Advertisement

Hmm think I'll wait for the finished product like yourself!

Can you tell me what the name of the firmware you use for GB is called? Think mine ended in KE1.

KE1 is fairly old (think it was version 2.3.3) so I doubt it was that.

The latest one I tried was LPH custom rom from wanam. It was the V9.0 that I tried (based on 4.0.3).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Touchwiz ruins ICS on the SGS2 anyway, I'm not exactly counting down the days til release.

KE1 is fairly old (think it was version 2.3.3) so I doubt it was that.

The latest one I tried was LPH custom rom from wanam. It was the V9.0 that I tried (based on 4.0.3).

Yep it was 2.3.3 - never saw the need to update (couldn't anyway I use a mac :rolleyes: )

2.3.6 was the last GB release, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ShaneU wrote: »
    Touchwiz ruins ICS on the SGS2 anyway, I'm not exactly counting down the days til release.

Sooner its released, sooner samsung release the source, sooner we have fully working CM9

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

@Elessar 2.3.7 is the last gb atm,as for ics i gota say so far i dont like it but as ppl have said its not the final yet.......

• Advertisement

I don't use TW launcher anyway, so I really don't care about it's existance!
    Once you get into the menus, it's all the same thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Mine is dying. :( It now activates car mode itself (didn't even know it had a car mode) and it also activates the speech recognition too. Now when I walk anywhere all I can hear every now and then is "What would you like to do?" coming from the phone.

Battery life is lasting say 4 hours max now and the phone goes into a self imposed coma when it wants to. Refuses to charge sometimes. No doubt when it's sent to Fonfix I'll be told water damage or something. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Mine is dying. :( It now activates car mode itself (didn't even know it had a car mode) and it also activates the speech recognition too. Now when I walk anywhere all I can hear every now and then is "What would you like to do?" coming from the phone.

Battery life is lasting say 4 hours max now and the phone goes into a self imposed coma when it wants to. Refuses to charge sometimes. No doubt when it's sent to Fonfix I'll be told water damage or something. :mad:

I had the same issue with mine. Also had an issue with it charging so thought it might be a problem with the charging port. They are available on ebay quiet cheap so changed it out and not a problem since. Something like this should do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Bit late to the game I know, but was waiting for my upgrade to roll around, it did today so I'm moving from the old HTC Desire to the Galaxy S II

Really enjoyed the Desire, battery life obviously the main gripe, sh*tty camera the second.

Hope the Galaxy is a little better than the last Samsung I owned - the F480 tocco - easily the worst phone I've ever had, absolute piece of junk

samsung-f480-review-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

In relation to my question on how to increase the sound/volume on the phone has anyone tried the below taken from XDA

If so does it work and what settings did you adjust it to?

A) Enter service mode by typing below code on your dialer :
    *#*#197328640#*#*
    click the following:
    [5] AUDIO
    [1] NB (VOICE CALL)
    Choose Handset, headset, Speaker (which ever you want higher volume)
    [1] VOLUME
    [1] SRC Speech RX Volume
    Change default values and higher the values any number of your choosing, here is an example:
    [0]0_lvl : 68
    [1]1_lvl : 72
    [2]2_lvl : 76
    [3]3_lvl : 80
    [4]4_lvl : 84
    [5]5_lvl : 88 Higher these values to until hear volume improvement.

Can also edit the values from:
    [2]DST I2S1 TX Volume
    [3]SRC I2S1 RX Volume: 100
    [4]DST Speech TX Volume: 94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cloonbigman

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering if anyone knows where i might source a noontec A9 android tv box? Only places I've find em so far have been maplin.co.UK and they're out of stock till Jan and on Australian ebay but the dood wants nearly the cost of the box in postage? if anyone is browsing and they come across one please let me know thanx!

You can get it in Maplin Ireland now but I think it costs around 200€ so it's much cheaper to buy on eBay or Amazon from UK. I've ordered one, should get it this week. I'll let you know if it's worth buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

rommy wrote: »
    @Elessar 2.3.7 is the last gb atm,as for ics i gota say so far i dont like it but as ppl have said its not the final yet.......

I am on 2.3.5 how do I update to 2.3.7???. My phone says I do not need a update..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I am on 2.3.5 how do I update to 2.3.7???. My phone says I do not need a update..

That's probably ASOP 2.3.7 and not Sammy's version. If you want 2.3.7, try DarkyROM.

No Flash support or Bluetooth 3 support apparently.

Why no flash support I wonder??

• Advertisement

Don't know, I won't be upgrading until flash is there.

It says that the international version gets it first, then the US version after their carriers have approved it.
    It's worded terribly, but the international version is the GT-I9100, the one that Ireland got!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Flash works fine with ICS, the latest version of flash in the market even says it works with 4.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It's the Chrome Browser that doesn't have Flash support not ICS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Official samsung twitter says it's actually not tomorrow, and that they'll let us know when they have a concrete release schedule. I wish they'd hurry up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Official samsung twitter says it's actually not tomorrow, and that they'll let us know when they have a concrete release schedule. I wish they'd hurry up.

Will each provider not have to approve it before you can upgrade or how does it work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Tbh after trying out a few ICS Roms (I'm back on 2.3.6 now) I wasn't overly impressed by it. Not sure if that's a good comparison to make with an official release as all the bugs should be ironed out. Chrome was unusable it was so buggy as it's only beta.

Extremely happy with RevoHD v6 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Hey, bit of a silly question but if anyone knows the answer it would be great. Got my S2 back in june, synced with facebook and google and whatnot, and the FB pics were appearing as my contact profile pics by default.

Had problems last week and had to reset the phone, a faulty hardware component was replaced and software updated. Got it back and restored my phone contacts I had backed up to Kies (my contacts are set to display phone only and not SIM, as it won't let me join my sim contacts with anything), and did the usual sync with google and fb, but the fb contact photos aren't coming up in the messaging app. I've tried deleting the facebook account and syncing through social hub, and still no luck, I've tried going into contacts>display options>facebook and ticking 'all contacts' and still no joy. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Shuwaaah wrote: »
    Hey, bit of a silly question but if anyone knows thye answer it would be great. Got my S2 back in june, synced with facebook and google and whatnot, and the FB pics were appearing as my contact profile pics by default.

Had problems last week and had to reset the phone, a faulty hardware component was replaced and software updated. Got it back and restored my phone contacts I had backed up to Kies (my contacts are set to display phone only and not SIM, as it won't let me join my sim contacts with anything), and did the usual sync with google and fb, but the fb contact photos aren't coming up in the messaging app. I've tried deleting the facebook account and syncing through social hub, and still no luck, I've tried going into contacts>display options>facebook and ticking 'all contacts' and still no joy. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Give this app a go a see does it resolve your problem

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.weednet.contactssync&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInJvLndlZWRuZXQuY29udGFjdHNzeW5jIl0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Thanks a million, tried it but still no luck. You know when you go to write a new message and when you start to type in your recipient, it gives you a drop down menu with options? It gives me a rake of different options on this menu, lets say for 'Joe Smith' it gives me a 2 Joe options, one with the normal mobile number and another with the international prefix included, then I have another two with Joe Smith, one with the international prefix and without, and then on top of that I have the gmail option or whatever, I wonder could this be the root of the problem?

I've tried going through all my contacts on my phone and making sure there is just one phone number for each of them but when I sync with facebook or that app, all these extra numbers come up in messaging. This is driving me mental cos I did it before with no hassle whatsoever, I've no idea what I'm doing differently

Advertisement