Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

srsly78 wrote: »
    Root phone then you can remove them.

Also make sure to let your carrier know how unhappy you are.

See When will Android 4.0/ Ice Cream Sandwich be rolled out on Three? (Galaxy S2)

IMO, these crappy apps are a big deal- I'd be getting onto adverts/daft etc also to express your displeasure. Is this really how supposedly modern companies want to advertise, by having spamware foisted on users?

I was set to buy an S2 from 3 but am going to hold out for a Nexus when the prices eventually drop. These apps are one of the reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

srsly78 wrote: »
    Disabling them is not the same as removing. SGS2 has loads of space tho so not really a big deal.

Well the reason they bug me is because of battery drain, but once they are disabled, they can't run, and they disappear from the app drawer, so i think they are as good as gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I have. I uninstalled the updates, then back out to app selection, then select app again and the disable option should be there....

Thanks for the tip, couldn't figure out how disable the evil 3 spam apps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

lukester wrote: »
    See When will Android 4.0/ Ice Cream Sandwich be rolled out on Three? (Galaxy S2)

IMO, these crappy apps are a big deal- I'd be getting onto adverts/daft etc also to express your displeasure. Is this really how supposedly modern companies want to advertise, by having spamware foisted on users?

I was set to buy an S2 from 3 but am going to hold out for a Nexus when the prices eventually drop. These apps are one of the reasons.
    I always assumed that was an accepted part of the trade off when you bought a phone from a network. It's for that reason that I've always bought SIM-free. Although this is the first time I've seen a network specific software update come out ahead of the general update for SIM-free phones and it's bloody frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I always assumed that was an accepted part of the trade off when you bought a phone from a network. It's for that reason that I've always bought SIM-free. Although this is the first time I've seen a network specific software update come out ahead of the general update for SIM-free phones and it's bloody frustrating.

There are networks that don't install crap on their phones, Meteor for example.

I don't know who made the decision that it was a good idea to effectively install spamware on users' phones, but it's such a short sighted approach to trying to earn revenue.

It's akin to downloading software and having some crappy toolbar installed in your browser. All but the most naive users resent this kind of behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I used to be able to go into the service menu to alter the audio settings but after upgrading to ICS, it tells me the audio menu is blocked.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

My battery was almost dead the other night and I couldn't charge it, so I turned it off. The alarm didn't go off.

Is this the way the S2 is? I can't have my phone off if I want the alarm to go off???? :(

My battery was almost dead the other night and I couldn't charge it, so I turned it off. The alarm didn't go off.

Is this the way the S2 is? I can't have my phone off if I want the alarm to go off???? :(

No, you can't, put it into flight mode if you want it to go off. Most phones these days, if the phone is off, the alarm won't go off.

Vahevala wrote: »
    No, you can't, put it into flight mode if you want it to go off. Most phones these days, if the phone is off, the alarm won't go off.

Will flight mode use minimal battery?

Why is it that most phones won't allow the alarm to go off if the phone is off? Doesn't make sense to me! Really thought there'd be a setting I could change! :( Luckily I woke up in time for work anyway haha

Why is it that most phones won't allow the alarm to go off if the phone is off? Doesn't make sense to me! Really thought there'd be a setting I could change! :( Luckily I woke up in time for work anyway haha

I believe so, I am regularly charging anyway at night!

• Advertisement

Vahevala wrote: »
    I believe so, I am regularly charging anyway at night!

As am I. But had left my charger in car on this occasion. Actually bent my charger as it fell off the locker when twas charging and kind of got bent. So I ordered a new one on eBay for €7, but when it's charging, it doesn't recognise my finger touching the screen and I have to plug it out to use the bloody phone!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wouldn't make sense to me that something which is turned off would be able to have an alarm still working. If it's off then it's off and isn't going to do anything, that is what being turned off means.

Put it into flight mode and all the radios will be turned off so minimising further battery use, as long as you don't have the screen on. That would be as close to a standby mode that you're going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

most phones used to have the alarm go off, even with phone off, the point being that you could turn it off but still use it as an alarm clock.

popped into 3 today to check my O2 phone, its not locked! result!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Previous bad use of the word "off" has caused the confusion these days with smart phones then. I guess "standby" was too much of a mouthful then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

my sony x10 I could power off and the alarm worked, plus any phone I've had to date. I didnt actually know I couldnt do it with the S2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I only discovered it recently and i was quite surprised (and late)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I can confirm that the following do not set the alarm off when powered off:
    HTC Hero
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
    Samsung Galaxy Ace

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I can confirm that the following do not set the alarm off when powered off:
    HTC Hero
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
    Samsung Galaxy Ace

i am certain my s2 activates the alarm when powered off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Anyone have a problem, where it skips, scrolling down the list of songs or artists in the music app? As in it scrolls down a little bit, freezes for a second, then continues scrolling further down the list.

It happened before, so I reformatted the phone, which seemed to fix it. Now it's happening again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

It's not just slowing while it finds cover art?

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Wouldn't make sense to me that something which is turned off would be able to have an alarm still working. If it's off then it's off and isn't going to do anything, that is what being turned off means.

Put it into flight mode and all the radios will be turned off so minimising further battery use, as long as you don't have the screen on. That would be as close to a standby mode that you're going to get.

ANY other phone Ive had in the past, and i've had one since I was 14, ALWAYS allowed the alarm to go off even when phone was switched off. Another thing that annoys me about the S2 is that if the phone is off, and you receive a message, you cant see what time the message was sent when you turn your phone on, only what time it was received at, which is a bit crap. They're the only 2 things that bug me about it so far though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

The simplest solution would be to simply put the phone on silent instead of turning it off.

The sent/received time oversight (it's not really a bug, more something they simply overlooked) can be fixed by installing a custom firmware with a patched mms.apk correcting the problem.

As for the alarm. Well the sgs 2 has more in common with a laptop than your old Nokia.

When you turn it off it's fully shut down, unlike the Nokia which is really in hibernation, but doesn't have a dual core processor to power, so it's effectively off.

Hibernation on the sgs 2 = airplane mode + screen off.

Simi wrote: »
    The simplest solution would be to simply put the phone on silent instead of turning it off.

The sent/received time oversight (it's not really a bug, more something they simply overlooked) can be fixed by installing a custom firmware with a patched mms.apk correcting the problem.

As for the alarm. Well the sgs 2 has more in common with a laptop than your old Nokia.

When you turn it off it's fully shut down, unlike the Nokia which is really in hibernation, but doesn't have a dual core processor to power, so it's effectively off.

Hibernation on the sgs 2 = airplane mode + screen off.

That's fair enough, putting it on silent, but if it's a case of low battery without being able to charge it..................... Although now I know about this flight mode thingy, that should be sufficient.

Still think it's crap though that it doesn't activate the alarm when turned off. Considering older phones could, but I accept your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I'm running CheckROM RevoHD V6 and my phone seems to be absolutely eating through the battery. Kernel is "2.6.35.14 - Siyah - v2.6.12" and Baseband is XXKL1. I'd be lucky to knock 8 hours out of the battery, anyone got any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

In 'about battery' in settings is 'android os' over 20%?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Install Llama. You can configure it to turn on/off services based on location and/or time.

6:30am : Turn off Flight mode : Turn off 3G : Turn on wifi, set profile to quiet, turn on bluetooth
    8am : Turn off wifi : Turn on 3G : Set Profile to normal/Outdoor
    6pm : Turn on wifi : Turn off 3G : Set profile to quiet
    11PM : Turn on Flight Mode : Set profile to silent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

That's fair enough, putting it on silent, but if it's a case of low battery without being able to charge it..................... Although now I know about this flight mode thingy, that should be sufficient.

Still think it's crap though that it doesn't activate the alarm when turned off. Considering older phones could,
    but I accept your point.

aha, but could your old phone Sat nav you through Dublin city centre?
    Could it stream TV shows and YouTube videos?
    Could you use it to record sky TV?

I'll gladly sacrifice an alarm whilst powered off for the above mentioned features!

(just saying......:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

hi guys

do you know if galaxy s2 will get android 4.0 from tescomobile?

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No idea, but you are much better off installing it yourself with Odin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MrSausage

Guys,
    Posting this for a friend who has this phone. See the screenshot attached. He has brought this for repair and was told its not possible (Gadget Repair in Tesco Wexford) They said it was possibly oil/liquid in the display. Has anyone else had such a problem and was it repairable?

Advertisement