Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You're welcome. Just be careful with Kies... if the update process gets interrupted it may brick your phone (requiring fix via Odin). A few people here have had nasty incidents with Kies.

Make sure your PC does not go asleep in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

srsly78 wrote: »
    You're welcome. Just be careful with Kies... if the update process gets interrupted it may brick your phone (requiring fix via Odin). A few people here have had nasty incidents with Kies.

Make sure your PC does not go asleep in the middle of it.

My computer never goes to sleep or gets turned off...

Just to make sure that nothing goes wrong, I am using the laptop for the time being while the main computer is updating it.

;D

Just getting a bit concerned now.....It's been 30+ minutes now since I started the update

On the Samsung Galaxy S 2 it's showing "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

and the computer is just showing "GT-I9100 firmware upgrade in progress...Please do not disconnect the cable connected to the PC"

Nothing has moved, there is no log on the computer nor a loading bar of some sorts!

EDIT: I would say that it is working, just taking it's time.

This is exactly what the people with bad experiences reported :pac: They got impatient waiting, and yanked the cable - thus bricking the phone. Kies really is crap sometimes.

Is your internet slow? Maybe it's just taking a long time to download it.

Worst case scenario: you can flash the update with Odin manually.

This is exactly what the people with bad experiences reported :pac: They got impatient waiting, and yanked the cable - thus bricking the phone. Kies really is crap sometimes.

Is your internet slow? Maybe it's just taking a long time to download it.

Worst case scenario: you can flash the update with Odin manually.

I haven't yanked the cable...........yet.

If nothing moves in about 10 mins, I'll yank and (hopefully be able to) try again

EDIT: Kies

qSt8

EDIT 2 12.04pm: yanked. Restarted the phone...seems to ok. No damage done

EDIT 3 12.20pm: yay! It's working now

qSGc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

Hi, I juat got the SGS2 yesterday and updated it to ICS, i was playing around with it and deleted the Buddies icons on the screen, now can't find where they are to put them back.

Do i have to do a factory reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

This is why Kies is so annoying, Odin just works and quickly.

Got it working now. Thankfully it wasn't a big set back. Working perfectly now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Is there any way to get the phone to vibrate wen i get a push notification on facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

markc91 wrote: »
    Is there any way to get the phone to vibrate wen i get a push notification on facebook?
    Open the application, press the option button, next to the home button, and it's under notifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Open the application, press the option button, next to the home button, and it's under notifications.
    Cheers mate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm giving LP7 (UK) a try this week.

I flashed it last night and at one stage I thought I'd bricked the phone.
    The phone was stuck on the boot screen for a good 15 mins. Had forgotten I had switched on encryption. Guessing that's why it took so long to reboot.

It was a clean install. Fully charged from 8am this morning - lets see how long the battery lasts.
    I hope it's a big improvement on LPQ!

Edit: Just checked and it's already at 90%. What a load of c**p.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

ive finally managed to get ics onto the phone after two weeks trying off and on..i also encountered alot of problems mentioned on this thread.

the laptop and the phone wouldnt sync through the usb cable and kies> turning the phone off and then back fixed that problem.

when it did finally sync it downloaded the upgrade components..but seemed to freeze on the next stage(firmware upgrade process)..

while having the usb plugged in and kies open i went to ABOUT PHONE on the phone and checked for software update..and it installed ics!!!..took a good thirty minutes in all.

hope this post helps someone because i was near breaking point lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Can someone please, for the love of god, tell me how to disable the voice talk app??? Almost every time I click the home button, just once, it appears..... I just cant stand it anymore!!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Elessar wrote: »
    Can someone please, for the love of god, tell me how to disable the voice talk app??? Almost every time I click the home button, just once, it appears..... I just cant stand it anymore!!

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/412305-turn-off-voice-command.html#post3195146

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hmm

Have a Vodaphone version, bought it unlocked day of release for my Meteor contract.

Running version 2.3.5 , Build Gingerbread

Shouldnt ICS have been out by now and available as an update?

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hmm

Have a Vodaphone version, bought it unlocked day of release for my Meteor contract.

Running version 2.3.5 , Build Gingerbread

Shouldnt ICS have been out by now and available as an update?

Install Kies on your computer and connect your phone to your PC. It will then tell you that there is a update. See the last page where I updated to ICS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Please read with a pinch of salt:
    uninstall kies, get heimdall and install cyanodenmod9 based on ics

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

The battery life is really starting to get on my nerves.

Fully charged leaving the house this morning and I'm getting low battery warnings and beeps just after 4pm??!!

I've barely used the device all day. Checked facebook once or twice, received one call for about two minutes and think I received one sms.

Other than that the phone has been idle.

The only syncs on are viber and gmail. (got one gmail notification of an email which I checked on pc then)
    GPS is off but google location is ticked.
    Bluetooth and wifi are off.
    Screen brightness set to min and 15s timeout on screen.

How could it be drained in just over 8 hours?

It's definitely worse since I got ICS. Noticed a lot more crashed and glitches since then too :(

• Advertisement

Install cm9 if you want amazing battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Not sure where the problem is, after the ICS update my phone easily lasts around 2 days if I dont use much. Over a day is never in question.

Which ICS update did you use? I used the recent UK/Ireland and updated it via odin.

Dont see many crashes or anything like that.

My data is on all day, syncs my gmail + whatapp.

Fully charged leaving the house this morning and I'm getting low battery warnings and beeps just after 4pm??!!

I've barely used the device all day. Checked facebook once or twice, received one call for about two minutes and think I received one sms.

Other than that the phone has been idle.

The only syncs on are viber and gmail. (got one gmail notification of an email which I checked on pc then)
    GPS is off but google location is ticked.
    Bluetooth and wifi are off.
    Screen brightness set to min and 15s timeout on screen.

How could it be drained in just over 8 hours?

It's definitely worse since I got ICS. Noticed a lot more crashed and glitches since then too :(

Probably an app that is misbehaving after ics upgrade. Try resetting to factory default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I'm noticing the battery is draining a bit quicker as well. Although it's not quite as bad as you're having it, I'm just about managing a full day out of it with moderate use.
    Install cm9 if you want amazing battery.
    Using this as well but I'm not sure if it's done much for the battery life. Defo not getting the 2 days out of it you are anyway.

Get rid of misbehaving apps so, leaving skype open is a big drain I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

For battery problems.
    Ordering this soon:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EXTENDED-BATTERY-SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S-2-S2-3500mAh-BACK-COVER-1YR-WARRANTY-/320818895952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab24bdc50#ht_2586wt_952
    Peeps over on XDA give mixed reviews...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1554418
    I personally carry a second fully charged battery around as I use it pretty heavily and I don't like not having my phone on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just an update since flashing LP7 via Odin - unplugged from charger at 8am this morning.

Just over 10 hours and I'm at 78% battery left. I'm actually pleasantly surprised.
    Usage - few texts/calls and about 15 mins of interweb.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Anyone have a link to the last version of GB? Branded or unbranded? I'm on 3.

ICS is not for me in its current form, battery is a big issue but the constant crashing has my nut done in.

Lots of other smaller issues also.

Just an update since flashing LP7 via Odin - unplugged from charger at 8am this morning.

Just over 10 hours and I'm at 78% battery left. I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

Unplugged my phone at 8.30 this morning. Been on boards on and off most of day. Couple of calls lasting 20mins. GPS and WIFI on. Played Coin Dozer for a while and been checking email all day! Its been 10 hrs and battery is at 52%. Upgraded to ICS last week via kies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭plhealy2000

Do you have a link for this.

Advertisement