Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Grassey wrote: »
    Saw that so within last 5mins have flashed cm9!!!

Forgot to make nandroid of cm7 first so I guess there is no going back.

Loving it so far!

Im not sure if the fix is in the nightlys yet. Try out the video recording?

Codeworkx uploaded a build with GPS.and video fixes. So an unofficial nightly if you will. HD video.recordingworks perfect!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

lost my SII last week. insurance covered a new 1 which i got today. it wont connect to the data network

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Turn it off and on. Check simcard is seated properly.

Syllabus wrote: »
    lost my SII last week. insurance covered a new 1 which i got today. it wont connect to the data network

any ideas?

Probably missing the APN settings, there's a chance your insurance crowd replaced yours with a generic model rather than a carrier branded one.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Turn it off and on. Check simcard is seated properly.

everything else seems to be working though

baz8080 wrote: »
    Probably missing the APN settings, there's a chance your insurance crowd replaced yours with a generic model rather than a carrier branded one.

anything I can do about this?

• Advertisement

Sure just google for: "<your carrier name> apn settings". Sometimes the carrier will offer these settings over SMS but it is also really easy to just enter them in your phone's network settings.

baz8080 wrote: »
    Sure just google for: "<your carrier name> apn settings". Sometimes the carrier will offer these settings over SMS but it is also really easy to just enter them in your phone's network settings.

tried it all. still not working

back to the shop for me tomorrow:mad:

What did you try? What APN is your phone using, what are it's settings?

What network are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

zuroph wrote: »
    my sony x10 I could power off and the alarm worked, plus any phone I've had to date. I didnt actually know I couldnt do it with the S2

If you are rooted check out nomoarpowah it lets you set a time for the phone to turn on. I haven't tested it though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How do you use superuser to hide your root?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

What rom and kernal do you find best for battery life.
    The other half uses her phone for web browsing and games etc nothing major so longer battery life be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

Excuse my ignorance and maybe this means I shouldn't be considering flashing the ROM, whats the difference between an open europe and a uk or irish version?

Also, can the open europe version be updated via Kies? I note that the kies symbol is greyed out on Samfirmware.

Anybody able to help with this or is it a case that once you flash using Odin, you will always have to update using Odin?

There is no "uk" or "irish" version. There is "uk vodafone", or "3 ireland". These are carrier customised roms (bloatware). The open version is just the normal version that samsung release, without carrier rubbish.

Kies should work with the open euro version, it's an official samsung rom. Kies is however rubbish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Has anyone else had issues with Swype not showing suggested words since updating to ICS? Half of the time it works properly and gives the little list of words above the keyboard and then other times no list is shown at all.

I have checked the settings and word suggestions are definitely turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Anyone have a problem of echo during calls? Everyone that rings me says it's terrible. Fine my end, but apparently almost unlistenable at the other end

Stupidly I didn't realize I would lose my sky go app by updating to ics, kind of thinking I might switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

For anyone keeping track, codeworkx just updated twitter

happy-thumbs-up.png

Lovely! Wasn't going to try out CM9 until I saw this news!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Have tried searching the thread, but haven't found anything on this

For using Google Maps / Directions / Navigate - the location that my S2 is picking up is very inaccurate - up to half a kilometre away from where I actually am - I'm assuming this isn't normal behaviour?

I use MyTracks for tracking GPS coordinates for cycling - this seems fine - which leads me to think it's not an issue with the GPS itself

I've put stock ICS Darkyrom on it

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

aii, happy daze, the camera bug fixed and can even install nova settings too which in fairness, is a stepup from trebuchet. think, they are bworking together tbh, the font is still small as set in Trebuchet with no option in Nova.

CW9 and codeworx rock. best rom in my opinion.

and just checking his site, http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=galaxys2 another build in 2 days.

There is no "uk" or "irish" version. There is "uk vodafone", or "3 ireland". These are carrier customised roms (bloatware). The open version is just the normal version that samsung release, without carrier rubbish.

Kies should work with the open euro version, it's an official samsung rom. Kies is however rubbish :)

I downloaded the XXLPJ Open europe version from samfirmware.

2 issues -

1. QWERTZ keyboard layout (no issue - installed custom keybord anyway)

2. The network signal isn't great at all. When reviewing the battery use, the mobile network signal is very patchy but only when data is activated. Connecting to a wwbpage can be hit and miss. wasn't an issue before the upgrade.

Is any of this to do with the ROM I used?

Anybody else come across these issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

I think I got the same ROM as you (and found the keyboard very disconcerting until I changed it), but I haven't had any network issues. In fact, was streaming Google Music all the way to work this morning without a beat missed, on a route that I usually get really bad signal :p On emobile (:

Edit: Actually, may have gotten a different one :S

Yeah that's the leaked pre-release I think, look at the date (february). Install a more recent one. I used the Polish one from march and have none of your problems.

I installed I9100OXALPQ, but there is an even more recent one available it seems: I9100OXALPS

Yeah that's the leaked pre-release I think, look at the date (february). Install a more recent one. I used the Polish one from march and have none of your problems.

I installed I9100OXALPQ, but there is an even more recent one available it seems: I9100OXALPS

Installed I9100OXALPS. Far better version. alot quicker. v. happy so far. Not updatable via kies...no big deal.Thanks for the advice.

Next thing is to get into is custom roms. Have an old HTC legend (What was I thinking!) at home I might muck about with it first.

Is there any custom roms you can flash using odin? Might be a simple starting point.

Installed I9100OXALPS. Far better version. alot quicker. v. happy so far. Not updatable via kies...no big deal.Thanks for the advice.

Next thing is to get into is custom roms. Have an old HTC legend (What was I thinking!) at home I might muck about with it first.

Is there any custom roms you can flash using odin? Might be a simple starting point.

The darky one recommended a couple of pages back is flashable using odin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I have sky go installed on my Galaxy, is it possible to connect the phone to my tv and watch it on that? If so what do I need to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I have sky go installed on my Galaxy, is it possible
    to connect the phone to my tv and watch it on that? If so what do I need to do?

AFAIK you can use a hdmi adapter from phone to tv

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TV-Out-Adapter-Samsung-Galaxy-G-HUB/dp/B005GCBVXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333567343&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I was trying to tidy up the screen of my samsung galaxy S11 and I accidently removed the icon for my calender which was on the home screen. This icon just showed todays event - the whole calender isn't gone.

Is there any way of retrieving this, or even changing the calender display on the home page to one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Birdsong wrote: »
    I was trying to tidy up the screen of my samsung galaxy S11 and I accidently removed the icon for my calender which was on the home screen. This icon just showed todays event - the whole calender isn't gone.

Is there any way of retrieving this, or even changing the calender display on the home page to one day.

I'm sure you can find this in widgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Birdsong wrote: »

I think it's a widget.Just long press on the home screen and a menu for widgets and short cuts will pop up.Then pick the one you want and off you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

So later this week (once my free credit with o2 runs out) I'll be sticking in my 3 pre pay Sim and porting my number. Phone is galaxy s2, unlocked, seems to be UK firmware (I player installed). its on gingerbread at present.
    So, what do I need to know? any unusual steps, or settings I need to change? any must install apps for 3? Anything that will stop working?

Should I root now, update firmware now, what? I hear theres a lot of bloat on 3's ics...
    Is tethering allowed? Can they tell?

Advertisement