Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

I keep getting a notification that I’m low on storage space. I deleted unwanted apps and loads of photos and now the notification has come back (a day later)

I notice there is “usb storage” with loads of space. What exactly is this and why am I low on storage space if there’s loads of other space available?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

ShaneU wrote: »
    Won't work on my network at all (tesco)

is that the tesco official update or the original stock version

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

is that the tesco official update or the original stock version

wah? I bought the phone simfree and put a tesco sim card in it

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

what wont work on tesco ics or sky go

Sky Go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I just got my first Smartphone! And ya it's the Galaxy. I'm having a lot of fun playing with it but I have a few straight up questions and this thread is gigantic so I thought I'd just ask.

I got the phone with Meteor. There are some apps, like for Adverts, that I can't get rid of. What's the deal exactly?
    Ive been reading up about rooting but is that something that is necessary in order to be able to customize my phone the way I want?

I'm a member of both Twitter and Facebook. I'm not a bit fan of Facebook but do enjoy my Twitter updates. I signed in to Twitter using the means that is already on the phone. That is the "social hub". It seems a cool feature but there isn't a lot of functionality that I've found yet at least.
    There are other apps that provide a Twitter service too though I believe. Is there a way to log out or remove the current app that I'm using or is that some integrated feature? I realize I have no idea what I'm talking about. Complete noobie here. Just wondering if there is a better platform for Twitter than what I'm using.

I've disabled options in "mobile networks" and I assume this will knock any extra data charges on the head. I'm just using wi-fi that we have in the house. No other silly things to watch out for I hope?

I thought I had more but that's all I'm thinking of. It was daunting for about 10 minutes but I'm adapting to Android quickly and it seems really brilliant. Can't believe I held out so long. I'm running on Gingerbread if that matters.

Go into the socal hub and delete your twitter account, then just use the twitter app, or one of the others tweetdeck, tweetcaster etc. Those samsung hubs are crap, I'd say most agree with me. You will need to root your phone to get rid of the adverts app, this will void your warranty though.

Have you installed Kies and updated it to Android 4.0.3?

I have not done this yet. Would that be beneficial? I'm guessing yes.

Would the phone be noticeably improved if rooted? Actually is rooting a dangerous procedure or would worrying about the warranty be just if something else ended up happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

croo wrote: »
    From the call log, if I press the options button I get a menu that includes a "View by" option. Select this and you can select a type of call to restrict the view to.......

yes but each time i exit the calls log it reverts to how it was. what im after is a way to permenantly lock it to calls dialled:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Shryke wrote: »
    I just got my first Smartphone! And ya it's the Galaxy. I'm having a lot of fun playing with it but I have a few straight up questions and this thread is gigantic so I thought I'd just ask.

I got the phone with Meteor. There are some apps, like for Adverts, that I can't get rid of. What's the deal exactly?
    Ive been reading up about rooting but is that something that is necessary in order to be able to customize my phone the way I want?

I'm a member of both Twitter and Facebook. I'm not a bit fan of Facebook but do enjoy my Twitter updates. I signed in to Twitter using the means that is already on the phone. That is the "social hub". It seems a cool feature but there isn't a lot of functionality that I've found yet at least.
    There are other apps that provide a Twitter service too though I believe. Is there a way to log out or remove the current app that I'm using or is that some integrated feature? I realize I have no idea what I'm talking about. Complete noobie here. Just wondering if there is a better platform for Twitter than what I'm using.

I've disabled options in "mobile networks" and I assume this will knock any extra data charges on the head. I'm just using wi-fi that we have in the house. No other silly things to watch out for I hope?

I thought I had more but that's all I'm thinking of. It was daunting for about 10 minutes but I'm adapting to Android quickly and it seems really brilliant. Can't believe I held out so long. I'm running on Gingerbread if that matters.

Loads of great Twitter apps, Tweetcaster is my current favourite.

Don't worry too much about data charges (unless roaming), I assume you have an allowance with your contract? Install 3G watchdog to see just how much you use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Hi all
    can anyone advise me on battery depletion on my new s2?

Im having serious battery depletion and today to test it , I barely used the phone. I made one call , sent 5 texts, maybe 5 minutes online. I didnt use any apps or radio etc and I was at 40% 10 hours after unplugging from the charger. Im barely getting 14 hours each day and thats with really light use : one short call , a few texts, checking face book, emails , 30 minutes of music before it turns itself off

Ive downloaded better battery stats and theres a partial wakelock thats coming in now at 14hrs 37 , the phone has been off charge for 14h 57 . it is also showing as awake for 14h 50 - does this mean that it has never been in deep sleep?

Any help would be appreciated , Ive a fab phone but cant use it fully . Is the app causing the wakelock the problem ? its one of the preloaded ones that cant be uninstalled

thanks for any advice , ( apart from flashing it , that scares me at the moment as Ive only the phone two weeks )

Loads of great Twitter apps, Tweetcaster is my current favourite.

Don't worry too much about data charges (unless roaming), I assume you have an allowance with your contract? Install 3G watchdog to see just how much you use.

The phone is PAYG so I'd be more worried about my credit! I read that 3 do good deals for mobile internet so I might look into that. Meteor are offering 500MB a month for e5. That doesn't sound great?
    Right now I'll be sticking to wifi hotspots. It's a bit annoying as I just got Tune In radio. Fantastic!

Seesmic is what I just got there for Twitter and I really like it. All the functionality I could want.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

I just got this phone, I thought it was a silly move seeing as every rumour out there says the S3 is out soon. Even so, having upgraded from an i5500 it's a huge step up.
    I am not a big fan of Touchwiz though...I'd change it but I don't want to void my warranty or something.
    I'm with o2 and updated to ICS after a few hours. No noticeable differences other than the Data Usage and screenshots which is a nice feature. Did I mention Touchwiz? It sucks. I remember looking at Nexus vids on YT thinking my phone would look similar after ICS, especially the whole blue theme the nexus has but it is mostly the same as before. blegh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I have one of these with 3, the phone is constantly going onto roaming. Like I'm in the middle odd Dublin and it starts roaming. Is there a way to stop it doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I upgraded to ICS yesterday and I am very impressed so far, have had none of this lag people talk about. It must be individual apps that are having issues. The OS is faster now and opening photo gallery takes a nanosecond as apposed to the week it used to take. Can't comment on battery life so far but look forward to more playing around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I just got this phone, I thought it was a silly move seeing as every rumour out there says the S3 is out soon. Even so, having upgraded from an i5500 it's a huge step up.
    I am not a big fan of Touchwiz though...I'd change it but I don't want to void my warranty or something.
    I'm with o2 and updated to ICS after a few hours. No noticeable differences other than the Data Usage and screenshots which is a nice feature. Did I mention Touchwiz? It sucks. I remember looking at Nexus vids on YT thinking my phone would look similar after ICS, especially the whole blue theme the nexus has but it is mostly the same as before. blegh

You can always install a different launcher from the play store. Most have free versions.
    LauncherPro, ADW, GoLauncher, Nova Launcher. This will change a lot of the appearance but not the notification bar. Worth trying a few though. I like Nova, I'm using Trebuchet now, don't know if it's available on the play store or not. No rooting required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

The ics update is available for my phone now. It annoys me that some apps are not available for ics yet, should I stick or twist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

How do I un-root my phone. Need to use Sky Go for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Flash official rom with Odin.

No firmware update for my phone. I just downloaded Kies. Because of the kind of model I got? GT I9100. What's this about now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

srsly78 wrote: »
    Flash official rom with Odin.

Where can I find this?

Any ideas why my contacts are not being recognised by ics?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

Sitec wrote: »
    How do I un-root my phone. Need to use Sky Go for a few weeks.

download an app called ota rootkeeper.. it temporarily un-roots phone with a click, uses it all the time to use sky go.. cant confirm if it works on ics though.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Any ideas why my contacts are not being recognised by ics?

Because you don't have international dialling code in front of your numbers.

Because you don't have international dialling code in front of your numbers.

So what do I need to do to fix it ? Do I need to delete them and enter them again ?

Edit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I have started a 24-month contract with Vodafone and I obviously got the S 2.
    I have a couple of questions regarding the S 2 and my contact with Vodafone.

I am on 2.3.5 on the Vodafone stock ROM. Would my warranty or guarantee be void if I was to root it and/or put a custom ROM on it?

Is Vodafone in development of a ICS ROM?

Vodafone ICS is out already, it should appear available as an update. If not you can flash it yourself: www.samfirmware.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Vodafone ICS is out already, it should appear available as an update. If not you can flash it yourself: www.samfirmware.com

I just never bothered to install Kies on the computer. I thought it would have come in through the Software Update on the phone.

Updating to ICS now. Thanks srsly78!

Advertisement