Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Azza wrote: »
    Crysis 1 didn't have much freedom. It was pretty linear with a slightly wider travel path than most games.
    I think the freedom was in the way you could play. You could get up on a hill above the next objective, scan it with the binocs and come up with your own strategy for achieving the objective.

That could be anything from going in guns blazing, sniping from a distance, sneaking around laying claymores, crashing a jeep into the lookout tower, etc.

I thought it got crap when you were going against the aliens, because all that disappeared. Any strategy went out the window (at least it did for me) because they didn't have any recognisable behaviour - they just flitted around in the air shooting blue stuff at you :confused:

That's what has me worried about Crysis 2, firstly the bad guys seem to be mostly aliens, and secondly a lot of that strategic opportunity might be gone due to the level design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Stev_o wrote: »
    Imagine if Mario was leaked before it ever came out!

Didn't Nintendo leak it twenty years before launch themselves? Looks like a very early beta though :p

super-mario-bros-special-big.gif

V

New-Super-Mario-Bros-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Azza wrote: »
    Crysis 1 didn't have much freedom. It was pretty linear with a slightly wider travel path than most games.

Didn't have much freedom? Thats a stretch, sure it wasnt arma but it was no corridor shooter either ffs. Voodu Child's post is what I'm talking about.

The open areas surrounding objectives gave you complete freedom to approach said objectives the way you wanted.

Removing that freedom IS dumbing it down. I wanted IMPROVEMENT on the 1st crysis, not removal on what made it interesting.

So what if people said jungle is all they do, thats what I want to see, everyone can pull off cities, jungle and foliage is what pushes graphics to its limits.

But they wanted to make money from the consoles so they had to remove the taxing foliage and make it urban instead. Unless all those buildings are fully destructible and I can navigate around the streets where I want to like a mini GTA, then I'm not going to be that impressed with that.

I'm not saying the graphics are bad, but better then crysis 1? At the moment they're looking worse.

By the very fact that its urban and not foliage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Or it could be they made a creative decision to move to an urban setting. There are plenty of Cryengine 3 PS3/XBox360 demos running in an Jungle setting.

As a fan of the original you certainly don't have to like it, but blaming in on the fact that the game is multiplatform is nonsence.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,726 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DarkJager wrote: »
    With carry on like this, I think the PC gamer market is on its way out. Why would developers like Crytek waste money making games for the PC platform when their titles are getting illegal release over a month early? Sorry lads, but as much as PC gamers like to condescend console players, you will have no one to blame but yourselves when you have nothing else but an empty afternoon and MSPaint to play with.
    Thats what they've been saying since before the days of the 3.5" Floppy. It's like the Y2K Prophecy, 9/11 Conspiracies and the Mayan Calendar.
    DarkJager wrote: »
    360, as a console and for the players who remain within the general rules of decency in its use doesn't have nearly as significant a piracy problem as the PC Platform. Yes there are those with hacked consoles who will get their hands on it over a month early, but the majority of console gamers are happy to wait for release. Some PC gamers have this sickening sense of entitlement to rob game devleopers of their profits through crap like this. The reason PC isn't the main focus of developers any longer: You're looking at it on this thread.
    I think you missed here. For one thing pirates can't pirate something early if it isn't made available to them. If it was leaked early due to a failure on the developers part, its the developers fault. Just like it's a celebrity's fault if her dress comes free of her nipples in public. The paparazzi isnt going to delete a nip slip photo and wait until "She's ready to show us".

The 2nd is Consoles are more than happy to take advantage of pre-mature launches. Are you kidding? "Oh I got my copy of Halo 3 six days early but gosh I feel baaad. I think I'll sit on this." You're telling me distributors never ever release games early and that console gamers in posession of the pre-release copies don't go home and play them? I find that unlikely.

And finally the 3rd is that Pirates do things to financially ruin developers. This is not true. Newell hit the nail on the head which was the pirated copies for a long time represented better value and service to the PC consumer. But the point being developers make a fraction of that $60 you pay out. And who's logo is it during the load-up you can never skip? Is it the developer's or is it the publisher's? Did Sid Meyer add Secu-ROM to his title SPORE or did Electronic Arts? Does Secu-ROM not attach itself to your PC as firmly as an anti-rape device in Johannesburg? Or that you can't play AS2 if you internet connection cuts out? Even steam won't throw you out of games for losing your connection and you can always enable offline mode.

It's not that I look down on Console Gamers and iPhone users but they're paying for hardware and software with strings attached. You take your iPhone/iPad/Macbook in for repairs now and it comes back with screwheads only Apple was allowed to open (until some people went and developed a whole new type of off-brand screwdriver). It would be like taking my Jeep to get its engine tune-up and having them dictate to me what kind of stereo system I could install and welding my bonnet shut. Point is I like my freedoms and consoles provide fewer of those. On a PC I am free of Discs for instance (and thats a big one - I would have to fit a whole bookshelf I dont have with the boxes I would have now collected from the games on my Steamworks Library), thanks in much part to Steam and Valve, which are by no means in Financial Ruin, they now make up an enormous share of the PC Gaming market.

It's not that console gamers are morally superior, they just agree to having more barriers placed on them. As these barriers become softer to crack you'll find more and more people taking advantage of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Overheal wrote: »
    Did Sid Meyer add Secu-ROM to his title SPORE or did Electronic Arts?

I take it you mean Will Wright?:p

tman wrote: »
    I take it you mean Will Wright?:p
    Yes :pac:

as for the graphics: Ive played it with max stock settings recently and I think you're all deluding yourselves if you think the new engine is worse. The old foliage was just cleverly made illusion, it's not like they rendered each leaf or anything. It was pretty but if you are playing through the game and staring at foliage long enough you will begin to take notice of the wireframes, certain sloppy slapped together ground textures, and everything else.

Whats worse is you never got the Chain Gun until you're pretty much all past the jungle stages of the game. Destructible Foliage never really came into play but even if you shoot at the stuff its not as realistic as the old cryengine 2 demos would have fooled you into believing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Multiplayer is so much fun, definately buying this

• Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nuxxx wrote: »
    Multiplayer is so much fun, definately buying this

Nuxx have you played the xbox demo version if so is the graphics way better on the pc on that mode?

Headshot wrote: »
    Nuxx have you played the xbox demo version if so is the graphics way better on the pc on that mode?

Nah i dont have the xbox version. PC graphics will always be better though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nuxxx wrote: »
    Nah i dont have the xbox version. PC graphics will always be better though

Ill phrase it like this then

are the graphics the same in the multiplayer as they are in the single player?

Headshot wrote: »
    Ill phrase it like this then

are the graphics the same in the multiplayer as they are in the single player?

Yup, exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I think you missed here. For one thing pirates can't pirate something early if it isn't made available to them. If it was leaked early due to a failure on the developers part, its the developers fault. Just like it's a celebrity's fault if her dress comes free of her nipples in public. The paparazzi isnt going to delete a nip slip photo and wait until "She's ready to show us".
    That's like blaming the banks for missing cash when a Securicor van gets robbed. It is neither the publisher nor the developers fault if someone swipes a disc once it's been mastered via the numerous opportunities they have to do so - pressing company, transport company, warehouse storage, more transport, retailer or even some unscrupulous journalist or their mate.
    And finally the 3rd is that Pirates do things to financially ruin developers. This is not true. Newell hit the nail on the head which was the pirated copies for a long time represented better value and service to the PC consumer. But the point being developers make a fraction of that $60 you pay out. And who's logo is it during the load-up you can never skip? Is it the developer's or is it the publisher's? Did Sid Meyer add Secu-ROM to his title SPORE or did Electronic Arts? Does Secu-ROM not attach itself to your PC as firmly as an anti-rape device in Johannesburg? Or that you can't play AS2 if you internet connection cuts out? Even steam won't throw you out of games for losing your connection and you can always enable offline mode.
    Of course pirates harm developers financially - a fraction of revenue is still better than no revenue at all and a sale is better than no sale at all. You're also twisting what Newell said, he was speaking in relation to DRM lowering the value of the game which, when done in an overly obtrusive way, can affect a legitimate customer negatively. The percentage of people who download games because they don't like DRM is, however, tiny compared to the number of people who download games because you're cheap *****.

gizmo wrote: »
    Of course pirates harm developers financially - a fraction of revenue is still better than no revenue at all and a sale is better than no sale at all.
    I'm not saying it doesn't impact, I'm replying to what I was given:

"Some PC gamers have this sickening sense of entitlement to rob game devleopers of their profits through crap like this."
    You're also twisting what Newell said, he was speaking in relation to DRM lowering the value of the game which, when done in an overly obtrusive way, can affect a legitimate customer negatively. The percentage of people who download games because they don't like DRM is, however, tiny compared to the number of people who download games because you're cheap *****.
    I've almost bought Spore 3 times now, but each time run into a forewarning about SecuROM - even on Impulse, from Stardock, which fundamentally opposes DRM in it's own titles.

You can't say how large or tiny the number of anti-DRM pirates is because you have no data to support or refute it. Nor can you tell whether or not I would still by Albums on CD if a) iTunes wasn't such a pile of bloated corporate **** and b) if hi fidelity torrents were made readily available, when they are currently scant. As it stands though I have bought all of my music for the last couple years now, as Retail CD is for me a better format than low bitrate MP3s. Similarly I am not running out to download a broken beta build of Crysis 2. As it is I'm sure the actual Launch will have new authentication masters and not nearly so many bugs, missing textures, etc. as people who have done so are reporting on this thread. Nor do I pirate Cam-Capture films because the quality is terrible, or do I still download Movies from DVD anymore when theyre available on Netflix a week or two behind the Torrents, and legal, with royalties to the studio. Not to mention I don't have to download all 4GB of a movie to decide if I want to keep watching: I can just stream it on demand. Wheres my incentive to keep pirating movies when I can view as much as I want for $6.99 a month? Do you know how much drive space I would have required to watch all the King of the Hill and 24 I have been at lately? A lot.

So I stand perfectly firm: All this doomsay talk about the death of PC gaming and the MS Paintpocalypse is complete bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I hate you Overheal for having netflix. It sounds like an awesome service.

I hate you Overheal for having netflix. It sounds like an awesome service.
    It is fairly brilliant. You get much more selection on the by-mail DVDs for an extra $2/mo but theres loads to stream. But yes, as I have said, its pretty much ended my motivation to pirate things.

I'm not saying it doesn't impact, I'm replying to what I was given:

"Some PC gamers have this sickening sense of entitlement to rob game devleopers of their profits through crap like this."
    Oh in that case I'd certainly agree that specifically referring to PC gamers is a bit too harsh. It's more a case of a more technologically literate userbase and a greater ease which to do it. I don't for one second think that console players have greater morals than PC gamers and if it was as easy to pirate games on consoles as it was on the PC the numbers would be far more balanced.
    I've almost bought Spore 3 times now, but each time run into a forewarning about SecuROM - even on Impulse, from Stardock, which fundamentally opposes DRM in it's own titles.

You can't say how large or tiny the number of anti-DRM pirates is because you have no data to support or refute it. Nor can you tell whether or not I would still by Albums on CD if a) iTunes wasn't such a pile of bloated corporate **** and b) if hi fidelity torrents were made readily available, when they are currently scant. As it stands though I have bought all of my music for the last couple years now, as Retail CD is for me a better format than low bitrate MP3s. Similarly I am not running out to download a broken beta build of Crysis 2. As it is I'm sure the actual Launch will have new authentication masters and not nearly so many bugs, missing textures, etc. as people who have done so are reporting on this thread. Nor do I pirate Cam-Capture films because the quality is terrible, or do I still download Movies from DVD anymore when theyre available on Netflix a week or two behind the Torrents, and legal, with royalties to the studio. Not to mention I don't have to download all 4GB of a movie to decide if I want to keep watching: I can just stream it on demand. Wheres my incentive to keep pirating movies when I can view as much as I want for $6.99 a month? Do you know how much drive space I would have required to watch all the King of the Hill and 24 I have been at lately? A lot.
    You're right, I don't have exact figures to back it up but I do have common sense and the fact that piracy figures for games without DRM are just as high as those without. Nevermind one of the most disgusting examples of piracy out there, the piracy of the Humble Indie Bundle. :(

gizmo wrote: »
    Nevermind one of the most disgusting examples of piracy out there, the piracy of the Humble Indie Bundle. :(
    Look at the name your price on World of Goo, most of those sales were $0.01, the smallest amount you could charge to an online purchase. What if the majority of people online - teens or lazy people - didnt have the online payment method (actually it was a PITA to buy stuff online in Ireland I recall if you didn't own a credit card - in most of the civilized world your debit card works just as well :pac:) weren't going to go through the effort to get 1 cent out to the publishers. Morally it was perceivably a pathetic undertaking by those inidviduals (especially the ones that tried rebranding the games on the Apple App market.), but for the most part I think you'll find simple social behavior in that one, the path of least resistance. Hell I just went on the Girl Scout cookie website (I started thinking about Thin Mints) and they want your Email and Phone number to use their cookie finder tool. What a load of crap! I found a 3rd party site to find out what I wanted: http://www.journalscene.com/news/It-s-Girl-Scout-Cookie-time2011-01-13T13-17-56 :D And the girl scouts are NOT in control of my email address, those greedy skirted feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

marco_polo wrote: »

As a fan of the original you certainly don't have to like it, but blaming in on the fact that the game is multiplatform is nonsence.

nonsense my hole, making it multiplatform instantly means its already going to be less then it could be if it was PC only.

Yes :pac:

as for the graphics: Ive played it with max stock settings recently and I think you're all deluding yourselves if you think the new engine is worse. The old foliage was just cleverly made illusion, it's not like they rendered each leaf or anything. It was pretty but if you are playing through the game and staring at foliage long enough you will begin to take notice of the wireframes, certain sloppy slapped together ground textures, and everything else.

Whats worse is you never got the Chain Gun until you're pretty much all past the jungle stages of the game. Destructible Foliage never really came into play but even if you shoot at the stuff its not as realistic as the old cryengine 2 demos would have fooled you into believing.

Fair enough I've yet to play crysis 2 so I can only comment on what I've seen posted and generally foliage looks far more impressive to me then concrete and tarmac and considering the leaves were animated , had physics and had light pass through them (holes in them) as well as cast shadows - far more taxing on a system then a building would be.

Crysis was a 7/10 game, it could so easily have been a 9/10 game if they made some decent improvements on what they had, instead they;ve taken away what was good about it and made it more linear.

Don't get me wrong I'd love it if this turned out to be an amazing shooter, but all I'm hearing about is the graphics and how its more linear then crysis 1.

Although if it does have some solid multiplayer I still may buy it even just for that.

Look at the name your price on World of Goo, most of those sales were $0.01, the smallest amount you could charge to an online purchase. What if the majority of people online - teens or lazy people - didnt have the online payment method (actually it was a PITA to buy stuff online in Ireland I recall if you didn't own a credit card - in most of the civilized world your debit card works just as well :pac:) weren't going to go through the effort to get 1 cent out to the publishers. Morally it was perceivably a pathetic undertaking by those inidviduals (especially the ones that tried rebranding the games on the Apple App market.), but for the most part I think you'll find simple social behavior in that one, the path of least resistance. Hell I just went on the Girl Scout cookie website (I started thinking about Thin Mints) and they want your Email and Phone number to use their cookie finder tool. What a load of crap! I found a 3rd party site to find out what I wanted: http://www.journalscene.com/news/It-s-Girl-Scout-Cookie-time2011-01-13T13-17-56 :D And the girl scouts are NOT in control of my email address, those greedy skirted feckers
    The WoG sale was certainly another good example but the HIB ticked all the boxes imo:

- DRM-free
    - Pay what you want
    - Money goes straight to developers
    - Money also goes to charities

Yet it was still pirated. Hell this time around they even gave you keys which could be activated on Steam.There simply is simply no defence for that kind of piracy, ****ty social behaviour or otherwise. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sisko wrote: »
    nonsense my hole, making it multiplatform instantly means its already going to be less then it could be if it was PC only.

Oh of course thats right I forgot, because the Cryengine 3 can't do jungle foliage on consoles and there has never ever ever been a non linear free roaming console game or something to that effect.

There is an amusing thread on steam where some guy is foaming at the mouth because the 'prone' button which was such an integral part of the Crysis experience is gone (I may have used it once in all my times playing the game), again obviously because it is now a multiplatform game. As a PC gamer I find stuff like this embarassing to be perfectly frank. Go back in time 18 months and what was all the rage was how the game would be DirectX 9 only.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Really enjoying the multiplayer. I think they are on to winner with this one. Can't wait for full release. Don't want to ruin it by playing much more.

I proned a bunch, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm quite prone to prone-ing as well... Didn't realise that they've removed it!
    Would have been quite handy for sneaking up the the edge of a rooftop

I proned a bunch, tbh.

Mostly while staring at foliage for long periods? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Press start to continue......................aaaaaaaaah, this drives me mad, I mean it doesn't take much coding to let the game load to the menu after the corporate adverts the way a pc game should, but they just couldn't be arsed doing it. This game has that, it was the first thing I noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

people saying crysis had no freedom and is a 7/10 game

2zznax0.jpg

Also, saying that developers are going to stop releasing **** on PC now because of this is dumb. You know how many 360 games get pirated? And with the ps3 hacked to **** now anyone can pirate ps3 games. Its not like game loving theives stole this code and released it for free jsut to be awesome pirates. This was an internal leak from Crytek themselves, it sucks for them, but its their own fault if they cant secure their own software.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Press start to continue......................aaaaaaaaah, this drives me mad, I mean it doesn't take much coding to let the game load to the menu after the corporate adverts the way a pc game should, but they just couldn't be arsed doing it. This game has that, it was the first thing I noticed
    This drives me mental, for some reason. This and the "Warning: This game autosaves!" screen. Why do you need to tell me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Apparently the highest setting (hardcore) puts most of the shader settings on medium.

So there is definitely a higher graphics mode, maybe it'll only be available in dx10 or 11. DX11 max settings with AA is going to look insane, and i'd imagine it'll bring high-end rigs to their knees all over again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

people saying crysis had no freedom and is a 7/10 game

Again the first 2/3 of the game had at most 2 distinct paths to an objective. Once you got to the objective you could approach for several different positions and use different weapons and nano suit abilties. The last 3rd of Crysis was totally linear.

In Crysis 2 by the look of it the paths to objectives seem more condensed but not totally linear. One objective I got to had 3 different entry points so its not totally linear. But a city enviroment was always going to restrict the field of play any more.

As for a 7/10 game I personally give it an 8. Its a brilliant technical achievement for sure but its far from perfect.

As for Crysis 2, people are are giving it stick without having used the new nano suit or seeing if the AI has been improved. The nano suit with upgrades seems to have way more ablities than the the in the first game and there also seems to be a wide selection of guns. I don't see you loosing tactical options in this game.

Advertisement