Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When the patch comes out I want this thread filled with screenshots of what I'm missing out on otherwise there'll be bannings.

Expecting a bit too much retro tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When the patch comes out I want this thread filled with screenshots of what I'm missing out on otherwise there'll be bannings.

I don't think I could bring myself to play this awful game again. Would Crysis Warhead screenshots do?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

5uspect wrote: »
    I don't think I could bring myself to play this awful game again. Would Crysis Warhead screenshots do?

They'd probably look better than the Crysis 2 screenshots anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

DX11 patch is out now

Already read some benchmarks with a lot of people struggling past 30fps on ultra dx11 settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I played the single player for a couple of hours in an internet cafe recently. Seemed pretty decent but not all that exciting.

Are people enjoying the multiplayer (on PC)? Couple of commentary videos I've watched said it takes a good few hours for it to get enjoyable but it's great after that. Thinking of getting either it or Homefront to play online while I'm waiting around for Battlefield 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,880 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ugh im only getting 30fps

You must have to own beast of computer get a high fps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Headshot wrote: »
    ugh im only getting 30fps

You must have to own beast of computer get a high fps

What're you running, and at what resolution, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Do you need to download separate patch for it? Or is it auto update? I want to see how quickly it will kill my system!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,880 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fnz wrote: »
    What're you running, and at what resolution, if you don't mind me asking?

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
    2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
    4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

1920×1080

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Headshot wrote: »
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
    2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
    4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

1920×1080

Wow, lets hope a patch or GPU drivers can improve things. A GTX 570 is no slouch, getting 30fps at 1920 x 1080 is disappointing. I was considering selling my, unused, hd 5850 (bought a pair of 'em recently) but now I might go ahead with my crossfire plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've been playing this on the 360 and for the last few levels i've been unable to use the JAW. I have ammo for it but it wont reload and i can't swap it out. Had to fight two bosses without it and it took me ages.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I've been playing this on the 360 and for the last few levels i've been unable to use the JAW. I have ammo for it but it wont reload and i can't swap it out. Had to fight two bosses without it and it took me ages.:mad:

that bug was in warhead aswell, probably c1 too

you could drop weapons though and this solved the problem

i finished crysis2 ages ago on pc and remember having ammo refill problems, dont remember if there was a drop weapon bind though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just popped Crysis 2 into the Xbox tonight for the first time. I'm only about 20 minutes in at the moment. I had to surrender the TV because Britains Got Talent is on.

So far I'm impressed by it graphically at least. This is probably the best looking game I've played on the 360. I just had my first skirmish with some enemies and the gunplay felt pretty satisfying too. I'm not a big fan of stealth game play but I do like the idea of the camouflage. I hope to be equipping that and popping out of cover all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just popped Crysis 2 into the Xbox tonight for the first time. I'm only about 20 minutes in at the moment. I had to surrender the TV because Britains Got Talent is on.

So far I'm impressed by it graphically at least. This is probably the best looking game I've played on the 360. I just had my first skirmish with some enemies and the gunplay felt pretty satisfying too. I'm not a big fan of stealth game play but I do like the idea of the camouflage. I hope to be equipping that and popping out of cover all the time.

its not bad game, in fact i need to reinstall it, just to see how much i can push it with new upgrade. multiplayer was really frustrating on xbox though. Peer 2 Peer is such a crap thing, when it is a matter of miliseconds when you need to switch cloak and armor modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

multiplayer was really frustrating on xbox though. Peer 2 Peer is such a crap thing, when it is a matter of miliseconds when you need to switch cloak and armor modes.

I didn't even know this game had multiplayer until I saw the menu option. I might check it out but it might not be too busy.

Or just use a silenced pistol and it won't break your cloak, headshot, headshot, headshot, reload, let cloak recharge, repeat. Should get you through most of the human sections. Tho it kinda breaks the game.

Crysis 2 was probably my biggest disappointment of last year. Crytek don't seem to be able to capitalize on the criticisms of their previous games.
    FarCry was amazing but the shaved gorilla monsters towards the end ruined it.

Solution, remove the monsters.

Crysis just replaced them with dumb floaty bullet sponge aliens.

Then in Crysis 2 they replaced the floaty aliens with annoying biped, bullet sponge aliens and removed the best part of the two previous games, the massive open areas, which replaced with a brown and grey corridors and small areas where the, now gimped, nanosuit just tells you what you can do.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

5uspect wrote:
    Crysis 2 was probably my biggest disappointment of last year. Crytek don't seem to be able to capitalize on the criticisms of their previous games.
    FarCry was amazing but the shaved gorilla monsters towards the end ruined it.

Solution, remove the monsters.

Crysis just replaced them with dumb floaty bullet sponge aliens.

Then in Crysis 2 they replaced the floaty aliens with annoying biped, bullet sponge aliens and removed the best part of the two previous games, the massive open areas, which replaced with a brown and grey corridors and small areas where the, now gimped, nanosuit just tells you what you can do.

The aliens where criticized in Crysis 1 for not being as fun or interesting to fight as the Korean soliders so they where changed in Crysis 2 to be more like a human foe. They where considerable more fun to fight than the aliens in Crysis 1. If they dropped them altogether it would have been silly calling the game Crysis.

Its true the game is less open than Crysis 1, but it is far more open than 95% of the shooters out there. Changing the setting from a jungle to a city was always going to restrict the size of the combat area, but sill there is normaly there is more than one route that can be taken. Wasn't brown and grey either, they had a nice selection of different enviroments, was an amazing looking game that ran very well. The nanosuit was only gimped at the start, once upgraded it was superior to the orginal suit, it handled things like running and jumping much better than the orginal suit (you could not properly fast jump in Crysis 1).

This may contain a few spoilers.

Of course they couldn't just drop them, but they could have implemented them a lot better. The drastic change in the alien design, however, was almost as bad as removing them. Why not keep the same aliens, and all that lovely ice, but have them mostly out of general combat, except for some boss battles, and make infected humans their puppets?

That way you could build up a nice paranoid story that could be used as justification for stealthy movement through a more open NYC. Instead of turning your character into 'nanojesus' you could have a full military operation with more nanosuit clad allies as in C1. Many games have managed to have an open city before. In C2 you're funneled down a gray street or brown alley to a gray staging area where you can pick from a few predefined choices that you're explicitly told about. In FC and C1 you could scope out an area, usually lush and green, and hit it almost any way you wish. Central Park could have been an ideal area for this but instead it became a jumping level where you're forced down artificial corridors.

NYC is an amazing place, but unlike GTA IV this game did nothing to capture the essence of the place. They could have had a canyon of collapsed buildings running along a few of the avenues which you have to find a path through by any number of means. A flooded section of the city would have provided building islands for you to sneak between. The frozen areas of C1 could return to help alleviate all those concrete straight lines along with broken buildings.

The C2 suit is nowhere near as good as that in C1. In C1 you had armour (default), strength, speed and cloak. In C2 you have just armour and cloak. You have to hold a button to use strength or jump high which uses much more juice that it did in C1. You only have one sprint mode, in C1 you can switch to speed and you move at the same speed you would sprint in default with no energy loss. If you hold shift you sprint incredibly fast for a short burst, extremely useful for flanking. You could use strength mode to destroy buildings, make a new path, throw your human shield into his mates... The suit in C2 only allows for a limited play style, hide and then shoot all while you're screamed at to hurry up by the annoying sidekick.

C2 also has laughable vehicles compared to C1. Granted the flying section was poor, but in C2 iirc you drive a jeep for about 20 yards and get out. I remember wild boat and jeep chases in FC as well as a fun hang-gliding section. C1 had a decent tank battle too.

I know this is a cliche but C2 felt completely CoDified. Especially the MP.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

They did keep the same Aliens but due to complaints from Crysis 1 they wanted to make them more human like to fight so they put into mech bipods. The Alien redesign was fine with me. I thought they where alright to fight. I still perfered the humans though, and they did occasionally glitch out. They where miles more fun to fight than the Aliens in 1 and I don't see how they could be seen as anything but an improvement.

What irked me more is that change of the Aliens appearance is not explained in game (plus alot of plot threads are unresloved from the first Crysis and Crysis Warhead).
    In C2 you're funneled down a gray street or brown alley to a gray staging area where you can pick from a few predefined choices that you're explicitly told about.

I don't remember the game being so color limited. The color palette was much great than brown and gray. Sure there was some brown and gray but it was far from being the only colors.

]http://deadendthrills.com/collections/crysis-2/

Yes there is less freedom to move around than Crysis 1, but still more than 95% of FPS games, inlcuding the likes of Half Life series. Crysis 1 had alot of wide corridors that lead to wide open spaces, but the whole last third of the game is extremely linear. Also free open ended gameplay can have draw backs. On my first play through of Crysis 1 I went off in the wrong direction (story wise) twice and ending up breaking scripted events. The outdoor area in Crysis 2 where narrower but you still had opportunities to flank the enemy.

As for capturing the essence of NYC, I can't comment as I've never been there but it sure did look pretty when I played though it. GTA IV is an open world game filled with hundreds of NPC's, Crysis is nothing like that, its an FPS that's never going to be near as open, Crysis 1 wasn't even close to being as open.

The Nano Suit 2 is better once upgraded, in Crysis 1 you could not fast sprint and then switch to high jump, all momentum when you jumped was lost, giving a really pathetic feeling. They fixed this in Crysis 2. Stealth was pretty much brokenly good in Crysis 1. You could stealth through large stretches of the game far too easily.
    in C1 you can switch to speed and you move at the same speed you would sprint in default with no energy loss. If you hold shift you sprint incredibly fast for a short burst, extremely useful for flanking.

Smaller play areas mean't the speed feature didn't need to be as long, had it been too good it may of allowed the player to sprint by certain sections altogether.
    You could use strength mode to destroy buildings, make a new path, throw your human shield into his mates... The suit in C2 only allows for a limited play style, hide and then shoot all while you're screamed at to hurry up by the annoying sidekick.

The whole building destruction thing was a very minor part of Crysis 1 gameplay. Only those flimsy huts where destructable and it was a nice touch but it wasn't a major part of the gameplay. In Crysis 2 you have the option of grabing and throwing, slide kicking, power stomping, throwing objects and melee killing. Not to mention a wider selection of guns.

Can't remember any time limits in the game so the hurry up messages never bothered me at all. They can safely be ignored.

I'd agree with vehicles comment.

Multiplayer was a COD clone but thats what the market is like these days. Crysis 1 had a very well recieved multiplayer but unfortantly no one played it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement