Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor USA (2011)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I watched the show and thought "my GOD, what talent!"
    They put the crap show that is on in the UK to shame.
    Drew put the hairs on the back of my neck, standing. WOW - just WOW! Absolute class!

I love Lakota Rayne, Leroy and Josh - ANY of those on their own, I'd pay to see and buy their albums.
    Absolute world class.

Separate from that - that Steve Jones character is a prick!
    He's as rude and cold as fcuk.
    You'd swear he was commentating on election primaries the ways he presents on that show.
    Simon, get rid of him! Irritating fcuk!

O' Dear!
    Someone on the show hasn't been entirely honest with their past!

See: http://lnw.me/I1L7q4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Biggins wrote: »
    I watched the show and thought "my GOD, what talent!"
    They put the crap show that is on in the UK to shame.
    Drew put the hairs on the back of my neck, standing. WOW - just WOW! Absolute class!

I love Lakota Rayne, Leroy and Josh - ANY of those on their own, I'd pay to see and buy their albums.
    Absolute world class.

Separate from that - that Steve Jones character is a prick!
    He's as rude and cold as fcuk.
    You'd swear he was commentating on election primaries the ways he presents on that show.
    Simon, get rid of him! Irritating fcuk!

So what d'ya think of Steve Jones :D

Justask wrote: »
    So what d'ya think of Steve Jones :D

halloween20.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Astro is insanely good!! That is how you rap!!! He will be in the final for sure!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Steve Jones is just terrible.

Steve Jones is just terrible.

There's more life in a plank of wood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

leahyl wrote: »
    Astro is insanely good!! That is how you rap!!! He will be in the final for sure!!

He should be, but his mouth might be his undoing.

He should be, but his mouth might be his undoing.

I think that's all a front though - he seems to have quietened down a bit!

I think that's all a front though - he seems to have quietened down a bit!

Ah I dunno, he annoyed me with his chat to the judges this week.

I noticed that the eliminated contestants on the US show are far less willing to be graceful in losing. You could tell that Dexter was pissed off, one of the Brewer Boys took it quite personally too. Funny stuff. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Love the show! Steve Jones is truly awful don't know what they were thinking there... not liking Nicole much she seems really wishy washy and seemed just follow Simon's vote during the auditions even when she didn't agree! I really liked her on the UK show.

tink2 wrote: »
    Love the show! Steve Jones is truly awful don't know what they were thinking there... not liking Nicole much she seems really wishy washy and seemed just follow Simon's vote during the auditions even when she didn't agree! I really liked her on the UK show.

Agree on Nicole - she's coming across really ditzy!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Drew was incredible.

Was actually thinking Nicole would get rid of Leroy for a sec just to add. Thankfully she didn't.

Drew was incredible.

Was actually thinking Nicole would get rid of Leroy for a sec just to add. Thankfully she didn't.

That would have been a travesty if she did! Leroy is class! His voice is like velvet - I'd prob buy his album

He Likes Boys....was that a subtle hint that Simone gave us about a certain someone. :pac::pac::pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

That would have been a travesty if she did! Leroy is class! His voice is like velvet - I'd prob buy his album

Aye, was just a tad worried they'd keep the odd act.

Leroy is very likeable too, he won't win but I really hope he releases music in the future.

_________

Thank you Simon!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

it worked out great in the end as all the acts that got
    through that shouldn't have initially got booted out tonight

I do think lomas got a really bad song and is better than that though

thank fuk simon got rid of those two

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The standard of talent and production is going to make it difficult to watch the UK one again. I think I'll cringe now watching it. The style of the US version makes the participants stars by default (which they will be, all finalists will be guaranteed a long full-time career in music now...look at Simone releasing her video while being eliminated in the first week, for example!).

I also love how stepped up the mentoring is. LA and Paula's creative minds stand out, in particular. You can see the amount of work they do behind-the-scenes in their acts' performances. Whereas Simon is obviously too busy counting cash and Nicole likely has others worry about that for her. But LA and Paula's acts look a million dollars because their mentors understand the full package from start-to-finish.

Agree with the consensus on Steve Jones, though. It makes you appreciate Dermot on the UK show...the job is much more than getting paid to hug people. I think he knows how out of his depth he is, himself. It's cringey watching him try and force 'banter' while listening to a producer giving him time cues in his ears. The lack of post-performance interviews and rushed nature of this week's show also hurts the show somewhat, though that can be fixed. I wonder if Jones' will last the series to be honest. Cowell loves any excuse for controversy and a headline, so a shake-up would get people talking if Jones doesn't step up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

leggo wrote: »
    (which they will be, all finalists will be guaranteed a long full-time career in music now...look at Simone releasing her video while being eliminated in the first week, for example!).

Excuse me but what the hell are you on about? Just because someone releases something doesn't suddenly make them a hit star that is "guaranteed a long full-time career in music", utter bullcrap. Just like American Idol they will be forgotten very quickly again... this is why they sometimes release so early... before they're gone.

In the dayjob they have all those Hello-type magazines. They did a 'Where Are They Now' feature a while back on all of the contestants who had been on the UK X Factor. I think all but around 3-4 of them (except for people in the groups, most broke up and went their own directions) were in music full-time now one way or another. They're not international superstars, but I never said they would be, they just do what they love as opposed to working in a newsagents or a chipper or the like. Just because someone isn't on Pepsi commercials doesn't mean they're not earning a comfortable living doing what they love...:rolleyes:

Now take into consideration that America is much bigger. If you're the sole X Factor contestant from your state, well many states are the size of Ireland alone, you're gigging for life if you want and possibly signed to a smaller deal. That's for those who don't make it big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Only saw a little bit of this today, but what struck me is how greater the wealth of talent seems to be in this show than in the UK version. That Astro kid was really good. Miles better than anything that's ever come out of the UK X Factor anyway. From what I can see, he's the best in the show. The key to success is writing good material, and the kid is already writing his own songs and performing them, which is more than any of the other contestants appear to be doing. His material actually seems quite good too. He should win, and even if he doesn't, if L.A Reid is the guy he was when he signed OutKast, he'll sign that kid too.

The lack of post-performance interviews and rushed nature of this week's show also hurts the show somewhat, though that can be fixed. I wonder if Jones' will last the series to be honest. Cowell loves any excuse for controversy and a headline, so a shake-up would get people talking if Jones doesn't step up.

No way, I think it cuts out a lot of the bullshit that is inherent to the UK show. The judges in this one just got down to it and did what they had to do. Sent their acts home with so much less of the weeping, of the "this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do - not one of these acts deserves to go home", of the winding up the audience drama crap that the UK version does. I think the contestants were similar too, they seemed to take being rejected in their stride and accepted it with so much more poise and without any of the teary drama of X Factor UK. Much preferred it this way.

And what is with all Steve Jones' gesturing and pointing with his left hand while speaking? Like he's a teacher in front of a class trying to drive a point home or something. Very distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just watching the first live show now so have avoided all the posts here from the last couple of days. I love the way they are doing things, i.e. getting rid of one act after they all perform. American audiences wouldn't put up with half the BS we have to put up with! I know TV3 have obviously done a lot of editing down but still!

Think LA made the right choice anyway, that's all I've seen so far. Nicole is a crap judge, her comments are so generic and meaningless!

No way, I think it cuts out a lot of the bullshit that is inherent to the UK show. The judges in this one just got down to it and did what they had to do. Sent their acts home with so much less of the weeping, of the "this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do - not one of these acts deserves to go home", of the winding up the audience drama crap that the UK version does. I think the contestants were similar too, they seemed to take being rejected in their stride and accepted it with so much more poise and without any of the teary drama of X Factor UK. Much preferred it this way.

And what is with all Steve Jones' gesturing and pointing with his left hand while speaking? Like he's a teacher in front of a class trying to drive a point home or something. Very distracting.

Yeah, I see your point and kind of agree. But, then again, nobody really watches X Factor just for the talent (or else they need to broaden their horizons!). You watch for the dumb little drama and talking points, like someone cursing during a post-performance interview, someone giving the judge's cheek and so on. What was the big talking point in the UK last week, for example? The revelation of Misha B's bullying.

I'd be happy with them cutting down on the BS, but the way it ran last week just seemed a little rushed and jarring. Maybe it was just Steve Jones' awkward handling of the situation that made it so. Either way, it needs tweaking in my eyes. With that said, it blows the UK version out of the water.

Think LA made the right choice anyway, that's all I've seen so far. Nicole is a crap judge, her comments are so generic and meaningless!

I have always said this every time she's ever judged, including when she was a celebrity judge before. I was shocked that Simon was choosing her for X Factor US, anyone can see she's a bad judge from one show. Maybe Simon should be listening to me!! I'm sure she is intelligent... in her own way, :o but she comes across very bad on these shows.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2053564/X-Factor-USA-panel-flounder-Simon-Cowell-steals-Nicole-Scherzinger-faces-strong-criticism.html

Hilariously, it was reported that Nicole would fill in for Kelly Rowland on the UK version this week as well. :rolleyes: But thank god they've gotten Alexandra Burke instead.

Yeah, I see your point and kind of agree. But, then again, nobody really watches X Factor just for the talent (or else they need to broaden their horizons!). You watch for the dumb little drama and talking points, like someone cursing during a post-performance interview, someone giving the judge's cheek and so on. What was the big talking point in the UK last week, for example? The revelation of Misha B's bullying.

I'd be happy with them cutting down on the BS, but the way it ran last week just seemed a little rushed and jarring. Maybe it was just Steve Jones' awkward handling of the situation that made it so. Either way, it needs tweaking in my eyes. With that said, it blows the UK version out of the water.

I would have agreed with you a few of years ago, but not anymore. The background BS has become such a part of the UK show, that the singing and talent (which did actually play a role in earlier years of X Factor) has now become absolutely meaningless. The drama and hysterics and fights are so so manipulated and contrived that a show that I used to really like is now one that I tolerate. Just.

The US one, in not laying such an emphasis on this (it is there to a degree), is a nice change. For now at least - who knows what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I sky+ed it and just fnished watching it. its in a totally different league the the UK one.

Im not getting the young girl with the curly hair that sang Jutin Bieber tho.

My fav is Chris Remi there is something about him that shouts star to me.

Loving LA thinks hes a great charactor :)

I would have agreed with you a few of years ago, but not anymore. The background BS has become such a part of the UK show, that the singing and talent (which did actually play a role in earlier years of X Factor) has now become absolutely meaningless. The drama and hysterics and fights are so so manipulated and contrived that a show that I used to really like is now one that I tolerate. Just.

The US one, in not laying such an emphasis on this (it is there to a degree), is a nice change. For now at least - who knows what will happen.

Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish. Okay I'm done.

Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish. Okay I'm done.
    So according to you the judges' "arguments" are all genuine? Please :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I just cant watch this show its very boring and even faker than the UK one.
    Some of the singers are so good and yet they are being turned ****.
    so i quit watching and the judges god help me i hate them.:D

Advertisement