Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor USA (2011)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Drew didn't impress me at all this week. She's got a good voice but as LA said it's the same ol' same ol' every week. And the outfit and styling was atrocious, even though she designed the "dress" herself. :eek:

I'm not into rap but Astro is just brilliant. And he's only 14. Even if he doesn't win the Xfactor he will be a star in years to come. You just know that LA will have him mentored to be the next JayZ.
    See now, what I don't get is why are people saying Drew is doing the "same 'ol same 'ol" each week yet there's no finger pointing at Astro?

If that's your thing, and your damn good at it, then there's nothing wrong with sticking with it. Do we expect Astro to come out and do a Whitney tune next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

S.M.B. wrote: »
    See now, what I don't get is why are people saying Drew is doing the "same 'ol same 'ol" each week yet there's no finger pointing at Astro?

If that's your thing, and your damn good at it, then there's nothing wrong with sticking with it. Do we expect Astro to come out and do a Whitney tune next week?

Sure, maybe she's good at what she does, but what she does isn't particularly interesting.

Astro is exciting because he's writing his own material week in, week out and has incredible depth lyric-wise for one so young. He seems to be getting better and better all the time too. It's far more interesting to watch his development than watching the development of someone who sings other people's songs in a kind of boring way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

People seem to keep comparing X-Factor USA with it 's counterpart in UK - especially from the point of view of productions - but let's not forget, Simon took his top choreographer and voice coach with him from the UK version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Eyepatch wrote: »
    People seem to keep comparing X-Factor USA with it 's counterpart in UK - especially from the point of view of productions - but let's not forget, Simon took his top choreographer and voice coach with him from the UK version.

...Meanwhile the vast production crew, the staff, the costume designers, the training assistant coaches, the stage crew, the stage productions designers, the promoters, the network managers, the sound engineers, the technical managers, the sound engineers, the production managers and crew, the publicist crew, the lighting people and more, just to name a few, are American.

...And what they are producing is a utter more professional show. still in the X-Factor genre but FAR more serious in content, production value, publicising and taken so as its aired in attitude and appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Meanwhile the vast production crew, the staff, the costume designers, the training assistant coaches, the stage crew, the stage productions designers, the promoters, the network managers, the sound engineers, the technical managers, the sound engineers, the production managers and crew, the publicist crew, the lighting people and more, just to name a few, are American.

...And what they are producing is a utter more professional show. still in the X-Factor genre but FAR more serious in content, production value, publicising and taken so as its aired in attitude and appearance.

so as long as it meets your ideals of how it should be run your happy,

but skating over that, to create a show to fill the empty voids of our minds which we take on board and follow like a child taking its 1st steps, we grow and become engaged letting us rule or be ruled, while sitting on the fence but wanting to shout if we disagree,

I'm sorry miss but I just don't agree, OK I see now go for it,

• Advertisement

so as long as it meets your ideals of how it should be run your happy,

but skating over that, to create a show to fill the empty voids of our minds which we take on board and follow like a child taking its 1st steps, we grow and become engaged letting us rule or be ruled, while sitting on the fence but wanting to shout if we disagree,

I'm sorry miss but I just don't agree, OK I see now go for it,

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

:confused:

I agree,

some people should just not be educated, the turning of water into wine was a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

S.M.B. wrote: »

Drew has that nauseating whiney voice (comparable to Janets) that I would get bored with. Unless they develop her a bit and give her a harder edge (a bit like Alanis Morrissette maybe?) then I don't think I could listen to that for more than one song at a time.

Astro on the other hand as another poster has pointed out has written his own lyrics and also changed lyrics of existing songs. Remember in his first audition he came out with his own work? (a quite juvenile rap called "Stop looking at my Mom:D) but still it was original work from a fairly precocious kid with an amazing raw talent.

Again, I'm not mad about rap, I have a few old rap CDs knocking around from the late 80s/early 90s but I still appreciate it when I hear stuff like this. This kid will be the next big superstar whether he wins the competition or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Agree with above. Astrol is unbelievably talented. For a 14 or 15 year old to be able to write lyrics like that and then perform like someone who's been in the business for years is just amazing. X Factor is just the start for him. I hope he doesn't win, he's too good for it. I can see Jay Z or someone along those lines snapping him up to his label as soon as he's off the show. If he's managed well, he could be around for a long, long time.

Agree with above. Astrol is unbelievably talented. For a 14 or 15 year old to be able to write lyrics like that and then perform like someone who's been in the business for years is just amazing. X Factor is just the start for him. I hope he doesn't win, he's too good for it. I can see Jay Z or someone along those lines snapping him up to his label as soon as he's off the show. If he's managed well, he could be around for a long, long time.

If Simon doesn't give him a contract, I'm sure Mr Reid will - and if he don't, someone clearly will.

• Advertisement

If Simon doesn't give him a contract, I'm sure Mr Reid will - and if he don't, someone clearly will.

Worst thing he could do would be sign with Simon who wouldn't know the first thing about rap.

LA or JayZ will sign him, he's going to be big...

Worst thing he could do would be sign with Simon who wouldn't know the first thing about rap.

True.
    ...LA or JayZ will sign him, he's going to be big...
    He's certainly got talent pouring out of him. He's already far better than a lot of adults I've heard even trying to do similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Love Josh on rock week. Only proper rock there was.
    Love Astro too. Kid is amazing for his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

astro is amazing. for a kid that young to spit out lyrics like that and have such impeccable flow is so rare. he puts most of the "rappers" on the charts to complete shame. also noticed that simon has been stealing from the uk version of the show again... drew's performance of with or without you was exactly the same as dianna vickers' a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Astro and Josh are in a league of their own and continue to do it, week-after-week. Drew should make the final too. I get the criticism of her, but who really cares about versatility beyond reality TV show judges? You like an artist for their shtick and she is excellent at what she does. Just not quite the finished article...yet.

Then you've got the likes of Rachel, Leroy, Melanie and Marcus...who are unreal and would probably win any other competition if the standard of this wasn't so high. It's a shame at least some of them will have to go before the final.

Can we not just sign all of the above to deals, scrap the competition, and just have them perform on TV every week?

Chris Rene and Stacy need to be put out of their misery. Just not up to scratch. Stacy should be wowing people on cruise ships instead and Chris is just on the wrong platform. He should have gone down the 'real' route to becoming a musician instead, as it stands he's losing credibility and hurting his longevity in music by looking like a weak link on a reality TV show.

Lakoda Rayne would probably fall into the latter category too, but I feel for Paula so give them a couple of extra weeks for the sake of her mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Stacey was awful in the sing off,

Astro thought he was safe and had nothing prepared, practically quit! tried to freestyle and failed badly.

Glad Stacey went though! Astro's attitude was terrible, he won't get people voting for him like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Love Josh on rock week. Only proper rock there was.
    Love Astro too. Kid is amazing for his age.

I take back my above comment about Astro.
    I don't know why he acted like he did but it took away from his performances and probably won't have people praising him as much now.

He's going to get a serious bollicking from Simon and LA. Glad LA called him out on it and didn't skip over just because he's his mentor. Not getting my vote from now on.

MrChavcore wrote: »
    astro is amazing. for a kid that young to spit out lyrics like that and have such impeccable flow is so rare. he puts most of the "rappers" on the charts to complete shame. also noticed that simon has been stealing from the uk version of the show again... drew's performance of with or without you was exactly the same as dianna vickers' a couple of years back.

Like his current UK show - I think he's running out of good ideas to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,061 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Johner wrote: »
    Stacey was awful in the sing off,

Astro thought he was safe and had nothing prepared, practically quit! tried to freestyle and failed badly.

Glad Stacey went though! Astro's attitude was terrible, he won't get people voting for him like that!

:eek:

I thought
    Stacey
    would make the final myself

It's an absolute disgrace that Astro was in the bottom two. A joke.

As for his attitude...come on, he's 14! When he came out and said "I don't wanna perform for people who don't want me", I think it said it all. The kid felt rejected. It mustn't be easy to take to have your dream dangled in front of you, work your absolute hole off especially compared to others, and then feel like it's been shot down.

Again, he's 14. It happened in the space of a few minutes. And just moments beforehand, he was being gracious and thankful that hip-hop had made it this far.

Still, shocking to think he mightn't make the final. The competition is now officially Josh's to lose.

As for Stacy...good riddance. She's had a sulk on ever since she didn't get the comments. And she's not 14. Then she didn't even bother to thank Nicole, with a sly dig to her, and thanking Simon on the off-chance he's dumb enough to sign her. Too bad, so sad, buh-bye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

^^

Completely disagree. Stacey took the ejection with grace and dignity, whereas Astro acted like a spoiled brat. If he was that affronted at being in the bottom two, he should have just quit and let Stacey continue - at least she would appreciate it.

I actually thought L.A was going to vote him out there and then. I reckon Astro will have lost a lot of votes after that performance. If he wants a career in the music industry, he really will have to grow a thicker skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

^^

Completely disagree. Stacey took the ejection with grace and dignity, whereas Astro acted like a spoiled brat. If he was that affronted at being in the bottom two, he should have just quit and let Stacey continue - at least she would appreciate it.

I actually thought L.A was going to vote him out there and then. I reckon Astro will have lost a lot of votes after that performance. If he wants a career in the music industry, he really will have to grow a thicker skin.

Agree! Astro has proved he will be difficult to work with. He thinks he's it! His behaviour showed up his true colours - a spoiled brat!!

^^

I also thought LA was gonna vote him off.

But, aside from that, were we watching the same show? Stacy's reaction to the judge's comments was that of a spoiled brat, and she had a big sulk on her the whole time, even going as far as to take a sideways jab at Nicole by complaining about song choices...then thanking another mentor!

It just goes to show the power of TV. As Astro said on Twitter, he probably should've put on his Disney smile. Because people buy into it if you're clearly thick but say the words "thank you."

What's the problem with wanting to win and not being happy about not doing so? Especially when you're clearly more talented? He probably will get voted off soon...but at least he's still real and will likely have a long career on top in the music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Good riddance to Stacy - she was by far the worst in the competition...

Now if they just got rid of Rachel, only the best would be left...

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Dammit, TV3 had the repeat on earlier than normal. I just turned on to see the judges choosing who would go. I knew Stacy's days were numbered and wasn't a fan at all, so good riddance. Shocked at Astro though, was he bad? And what happened with his sing-off? He's done himself absolutely no favours now though and I can't see him lasting much longer. He's still definitely going to get a career out of it though and it would be much better for him if he didn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hip Hop bravado and being undeniably cocky and arrogant go hand in hand really.

Add in the fact that he's still only a young lad and his actions seem somewhat understandable.

He hasn't a chance of winning the competition now but a hip hop artist never really did anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Agree! Astro has proved he will be difficult to work with. He thinks he's it! His behaviour showed up his true colours - a spoiled brat!!

hip hop is his thing , what do you expect other than arrogance and petulance

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

irishh_bob wrote: »

hip hop is his thing , what do you expect other than arrogance and petulance
    Is it possible to watch it live online ?

^^

She did in her backside!! The face on her!! And she had a sly dig at Nicole over song choices, didn't even thank her but crawled to Simon as he's the one with clout.

She even said herself about the feedback being bad that she didn't know how to take it as the feedback prior had been all good.

Astro realised he had made an error with his attitude when Simon was talking to him and the poor kid was actually crying. He made a mistake thinking he was acting all cool and above the competition but was soon brought down to earth by LA and Simon. In my opinion this is the only time in the competition he's actually acted like a teenager ie acted his age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

I hope he gets booted out he's a selfish snidey little brat who isn't worth the steam off simon's piss.

Advertisement