Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor USA (2011)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Biggins wrote: »
    I agree about Astro, as for Drew, I suppose each to their own.
    She's young too so maybe with time...
    The important thing is that she was a good voice and she genuinely seems a decent down to Earth sort.
    For her age, fair play to her still. :)

Yeah, she's a good singer, beyond her years. She probably will get better with age too, and has more life experiences to put into her music. However, I just think that writing songs is so important and very rarely do the people who appear on these shows write their own music, so it's great to see a kid like Astro doing his own thing every week, and it's the mark of someone who is going to succeed, I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I see news of Cowells lying is making the papers: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2057951/X-Factor-USA-Simon-Cowell-rips-Gamu-Nhengus-version-Walking-On-Sunshine-Rachel-Crow.html

I think she should come back to the X-Factor and confront the lying schite! So I set-up a facebook page to see what other people thought: http://lnw.me/BtyLXQ

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I still can't believe he's 59! It's insane!

There's something really annoying about Rachael, I think it's just because she's so young!

He's 60 now. :o Looks about half that!

Drew is my favourite, hope she wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Johner wrote: »
    He's 60 now. :o Looks about half that!
    Heh?! :confused:

It's a long, long time since Louis Walsh looked 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Heh?! :confused:

It's a long, long time since Louis Walsh looked 30.

Leroy, not Louis!

• Advertisement

Haha! I jumped from the UK thread and got mixed up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The gas thing is that both acts in the bottom two would walk the UK competition. Says it all really.

leggo wrote: »
    The gas thing is that both acts in the bottom two would walk the UK competition. Says it all really.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In fairness, that's probably not true.

I think the results from both the US and UK version this week strengthen the case that it's very difficult to win the competition as a band, regardless of how talented they are.

I'd agree that it's difficult to win as a band, for whatever reason. Which is shocking since bands are easily the most marketable to the masses afterwards. JLS have now likely surpassed Leona Lewis for most successful past contestant in the competition. I guess individuals connect with the audience more on a personal level, whereas a band's connection is diluted with each member (e.g. the band with a whopping TEN members are out).

But pit Stereo Hoggz against JLS or any other bands in the show's history for sheer raw talent. I'd agree with Simon Cowell when he says that they're probably the best band of their type on the planet right now. So yeah, put them in competition with Marcus or Misha B and I'd fancy their chances!

• Advertisement

Having seen this weeks show its very obvious that all of the current singers on the show will have some sort of greater successful careers after the X-Factor is over.
    My god, if only the same could be said for the UK version! Most - if not all, will fall into eventual obscurity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Having seen this weeks show its very obvious that all of the current singers on the show will have some sort of greater successful careers after the X-Factor is over.
    My god, if only the same could be said for the UK version! Most - if not all, will fall into eventual obscurity.

Agree with you there, biggins. Nevertheless we're comparing the best a whole continent has to offer with what one small country has. N. America is actually larger in area than the whole of Europe. Let's not forget that! Obviously that's why Simon Cowell made the move over there.

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Agree with you there, biggins. Nevertheless we're comparing the best a whole continent has to offer with what one small country has. N. America is actually larger in area than the whole of Europe. Let's not forget that! Obviously that's why Simon Cowell made the move over there.

Aye, that has been mentioned before and I've responded to such a valid point previously.
    Again in summary, by the time they get down to the final numbers, their selection process has been FAR more professional.
    One based far more on actual underlying raw vocal talent - and the result shows!

If the British judges actually were more professional in their selections and mentoring - instead of just to begin with, looking for golden opportunities to deliver scripted witty lines/jokes (Barlow!), possibly falsify comments regarding the quality of appearing talent and lie to the public (Barlow for sure and who else on the panel?), if they weren't too busy trying to out do each other in the fashion stakes and self-publicity (does the USA shows do this? Not in their arse!) ...them MAYBE the British show might get back to basics and improve!

....But they won't - so the format as far as the British side of the water is concerned, is doomed to inevitable failure and the cracks are showing already!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Eyepatch wrote: »

Aye, that has been mentioned before and I've responded to such a valid point previously.
    Again in summary, by the time they get down to the final numbers, their selection process has been FAR more professional.
    One based far more on actual underlying raw vocal talent - and the result shows!

If the British judges actually were more professional in their selections and mentoring - instead of just to begin with, looking for golden opportunities to deliver scripted witty lines/jokes (Barlow!), possibly falsify comments regarding the quality of appearing talent and lie to the public (Barlow for sure and who else on the panel?), if they weren't too busy trying to out do each other in the fashion stakes and self-publicity (does the USA shows do this? Not in their arse!) ...them MAYBE the British show might get back to basics and improve!

....But they won't - so the format as far as the British side of the water is concerned, is doomed to inevitable failure and the cracks are showing already!

Totally agree with ya Biggins - The UK judges are embarrassing to be honest when you compare them with the US ones! Gary Barlow has been extremely disappointing on the live shows and made the worst decision of all the X Factor series by putting Frankie through!!

All the US judges know their stuff (well except for Nicole - irritating in the extreme!) and the work they have done with their acts is incredible.

There is no comparison

This is actually the first year where I've ended up going out on Saturday night instead of watching UK Xfactor and just recorded it instead whereas before I'd have to stay home cos the talent used to be quite good and the show was exciting without being 'trashy tabloidy' stuff if you get what I mean?

leahyl wrote: »
    ...There is no comparison

This is actually the first year where I've ended up going out on Saturday night instead of watching UK Xfactor and just recorded it instead whereas before I'd have to stay home cos the talent used to be quite good and the show was exciting without being 'trashy tabloidy' stuff if you get what I mean?

Aye, even The Mail can only comment on the quality of the acts appearing on the USA shows, as regards how good or bad they are.
    There is no real bitch-festing, no salacious goings on, etc...
    What has the British version descended into? Nothing more than fodder for the tabloids of the even lowest level - and its a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

leahyl wrote: »
    ...There is no comparison

Aye, even The Mail can only comment on the quality of the acts appearing on the USA shows, as regards how good or bad they are.
    What has the British version descended into? Nothing more than fodder for the tabloids of the even lowest level - and its a shame.

Yet I'll still be watching on Saturday night :-P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Is that guy still in who only just got clean?
    He is good but cant think of his name.

Chris Rene. He disturbs me a bit. Looks like he could go off on one at any moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Chris Rene. He disturbs me a bit. Looks like he could go off on one at any moment.

Do you think.I hope not,hope his life turns right around for him.Now thats would be someone to inspire others.

Americans really don't like groups, do they? Ouch for Paula. She seems to put so much more hands-on work into her acts than the rest of the judges do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Bit of a joke from Simon in the results. Basically over-writing his own rules live on stage. Kinda glad Steve pushed it a bit.

Was gas how long it took them to figure out what was happening. It's hardly Higher Level Maths, there's four judges, yet it took them forever to cop if Paula didn't vote then Stereo Hoggz would be out by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,057 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bands never fare too well on the X Factor shows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Drew didn't impress me at all this week. She's got a good voice but as LA said it's the same ol' same ol' every week. And the outfit and styling was atrocious, even though she designed the "dress" herself. :eek:

I'm not into rap but Astro is just brilliant. And he's only 14. Even if he doesn't win the Xfactor he will be a star in years to come. You just know that LA will have him mentored to be the next JayZ.

And I actually think he has a chance of winning.

Best of the overs this week - Josh
    Best of the Boys - Astro
    Best of the Girls - Rachel
    Best of the groups - LR. And next week they have no competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Oh yeah, and if a judge refused to vote on the UK version and was crying you'd say it was all tabloid junk and scripted.

"Oh no, we're so cool and with-it, we know about the US version, we're above the UK version and it's trashiness blah blah blah.

We're so cooool. We found out that the UK show is being manipulated. Not like smart people didn't know that from the very start. The talent in the US is sooo much better. Not like everyone who had the slightest clue of anything about singing shows knew that and Simon himself even said it on the X-Factor many times considering there is nearly 6 times the population."

People take this into the UK version thread so guess what? I'm bringing it here also.

Also: Steve Jones is a joke presenter, I think we can all at least agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

Drew didn't impress me at all this week. She's got a good voice but as LA said it's the same ol' same ol' every week. And the outfit and styling was atrocious, even though she designed the "dress" herself. :eek:

that and the fact he stole the performance from janet's that she did a few weeks back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Oh yeah, and if a judge refused to vote on the UK version and was crying you'd say it was all tabloid junk and scripted.

"Oh no, we're so cool and with-it, we know about the US version, we're above the UK version and it's trashiness blah blah blah.

We're so cooool. We found out that the UK show is being manipulated. Not like smart people didn't know that from the very start. The talent in the US is sooo much better. Not like everyone who had the slightest clue of anything about singing shows knew that and Simon himself even said it on the X-Factor many times considering there is nearly 6 times the population."

People take this into the UK version thread so guess what? I'm bringing it here also.

Also: Steve Jones is a joke presenter, I think we can all at least agree on that.

Lol, jesus relax! I don't see the problem with people comparing the two versions in the UK thread. Most of what they say is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

ok steady on there, deep breaths and count to 50 not saying the odd numbers,

you sure do get a bee in your bonnet at times, tis only TV, nothing more nothing less so just chillax its time to digress

Both shows are what they are and most of us accept the fact that all what we see/hear is not necessarily true/unscripted.
    That said, they 'appear' to be doing things better in professionalism and method of handling each persons songs, the stage theatrics, the person themselves, their appearance, promotion and their overall attitude.
    Be the population of either country be six million or sixty million. - especially when it gets down the fewer remaining in the contest, it shows what side of the water is doing the better job of bringing this show format to air.

...And yes, Steve Jones is a poor presenter. He has the charisma of cardboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Once again, Astro brings it. Very impressed with him.

Advertisement