Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor USA (2011)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Hope people remembered that the first show was last night :pac:.

The Thanksgiving theme was a little cheesy...I hope they don't focus too much on sob stories from here on out. Leave that to the Brits, I'm pretty much ignoring that at this stage anyway.

Still worried for Astro, though his performance was up to his usual high standard. The double elimination could get him. Then again, maybe they've done enough damage repair to give him a bit of momentum. I remember JLS being in the bottom two in their year, for example.

The double elimination might also see the end of Lakoda Rayne, simply because their sob story would have been diluted by the four different branches and wouldn't have connected as well. Depends if the Poor Paula movement is still voting or not.

Leroy Bell might also have his days numbered. It'll be a shame if they are as he's a guy you could genuinely see selling records to a bit of a Bublé-style fanbase.

Whatever happens tonight, it'll probably be vicious and shocking as per the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

leggo wrote: »
    Hope people remembered that the first show was last night :pac:.

The Thanksgiving theme was a little cheesy...I hope they don't focus too much on sob stories from here on out. Leave that to the Brits, I'm pretty much ignoring that at this stage anyway.

Still worried for Astro, though his performance was up to his usual high standard. The double elimination could get him. Then again, maybe they've done enough damage repair to give him a bit of momentum. I remember JLS being in the bottom two in their year, for example.

The double elimination might also see the end of Lakoda Rayne, simply because their sob story would have been diluted by the four different branches and wouldn't have connected as well. Depends if the Poor Paula movement is still voting or not.

Leroy Bell might also have his days numbered. It'll be a shame if they are as he's a guy you could genuinely see selling records to a bit of a Bublé-style fanbase.

Whatever happens tonight, it'll probably be vicious and shocking as per the norm.

I'm not feeling much for Marcus, LR and Chris Rene has been a disappointment in the live shows. I like Leroy but he's going to be the next over to go.

The ITV2 show is still on Thursday though, but at the earlier time of 6.40pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

YO YO YO hold up eyes in it to win, but YO if you YO dont want to hear me YO, ill kill YA all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How do you all see the show?? I thought it was only on TV3 on Fridays??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Happy with that although Leroy had improved a little.

Neither of those two were ever going to win it.

We're gonna see some brilliant talent in the bottom two from here on out. Shocking few weeks coming up, I feel.

Also looks like it's becoming Team Simon vs Team LA Reid...with the most ironic fact being that the likely winner is Nicole's last remaining act.

leggo wrote: »
    We're gonna see some brilliant talent in the bottom two from here on out. Shocking few weeks coming up, I feel.

Also looks like it's becoming Team Simon vs Team LA Reid...with the most ironic fact being that the likely winner is Nicole's last remaining act.

Yep I think Josh has it all. He could have been singing the alphabet last night and the audience, the judges and the voting public would have loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Just watched it now and I have to say the saccharine level was turned up to 11. Absolutely vomit inducing stuff, especially Melanie's 'God is my hero' VT.

Anyway, was sorry to see Leroy out as I thought he had one of the better voices in the competition.

I agree that Josh will probably win it, with Melanie runner up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

God that Steve Jones is awful compared to Dermot O'Leary he sounds and moves like a robot.

And he doesn't connect with the audience cant see Mr.Cowell retaining his services for next year.

Id say that Astro kid has a bright future ahead.

• Advertisement

Wonder how strong Rachel's fanbase is? Could be tested this week...

I think Marcus' time could be up unfortunately. The performance was good but the vocals were a bit shaky, kind of exposed him a bit.

Beforehand, I would've said Chris René was in trouble. But he pulled it out of the bag. LA is doing a great job at mentoring someone who is massively talented but clearly unsuited to a contest like this.

Then you've got the Astro conundrum. Take him out of the contest and he has the most upside as far as becoming an artist, selling records, becoming a brand and, ****, maybe even saving REAL hip-hop as we know it. But can he get the votes to do that? I mean, would Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas, DMX etc have sky-rocketed had they been known as "the guy who couldn't win the TV talent show" from the beginning? He'd have almost been better off going a couple of weeks ago and being a martyr for his art.

Melanie is a good outside bet for winning, I feel. She has the whole story arc that viewers of shows like X Factor love...even if I still am slightly creeped out by her whole 'new accent' thing. But it's a good gimmick that tells a deep story without requiring too much concentration on the viewer's part. And she's got the talent to back it up. The only problem is where she would fit in the whole pop landscape afterwards? She's not Adele, nor is she exactly Jennifer Hudson, nor does she have this standout voice that people would instantly buy into en masse. We've heard it before: Celine, Mariah, Whitney etc. It's great and all but...meh? But voters don't tend to think of these things when their heartstrings are being tugged at.

Josh is still my pick (realistically, that is, I want Astro to win). But a few more dips in form, like this week, and he could have peaked too early and let Melanie sneak up on him.

It just shows, I'm not a Michael Jackson fan in the slightest but it proves his songs are difficult to sing, and almost impossible to emulate.

I haven't looked at the performances yet, just read quickly through the reviews but contestants certainly seem to be struggling with the theme.

I would think that Rachel would have a bigger fanbase than Drew, just by likeability, not talent. I said last week that Marcus wasn't standing out for me and lo and behold he ended up in the bottom two with Leroy and Chris wasn't impressing me either. Although he did do better last week.

I would think that Rachel would have a bigger fanbase than Drew, just by likeability, not talent. I said last week that Marcus wasn't standing out for me and lo and behold he ended up in the bottom two with Leroy and Chris wasn't impressing me either. Although he did do better last week.

I'd agree with that. Drew could also be bottom two, LA was on her side this week but Nicole and Paula gave lukewarm reviews, so it's a case of whether the American public will appreciate them flipping a beloved song on its head, nailing the vocal and turning LA Reid, or will they hate the change of song and agree with the girls?

Rachel was very mediocre and just didn't seem to get into it at all. I'd suspect that she'll lose a lot of the casual voters this week because of that, so wouldn't be surprised if she was in the bottom two. But who knows, she could easily be the most popular contestant on likeability alone for all we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

fcking hell SIMON LOOKED PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG

Astro
    has a career already, I thought it might be time for
    Drew
    to go, too one dimensional.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pissed that
    Astro
    went - performances were always top notch.
    Didn't give a crap about the other elimination...
    Chris
    or
    Josh
    to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Josh and Chris Rene please for the final

I would love to see Josh duet with Foo Fighters and Chris with Eminem

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Josh and Chris Rene please for the final

I would love to see Josh duet with Foo Fighters and Chris with Eminem

Josh will certainly be there but I suspect with Melanie.

It's all going very quickly, I don't like all these double eliminations:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I don't see the appeal with Chris at all. Every week I hear him I just think his voice is weak and very forgettable.
    I keep hoping he goes every week. Don't dislike the guy or anything, just can't see the attraction.
    I could listen to Josh all day. I love that gravel tone in male singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

After that show, I suspect Simon will be having strong words with Nicole and Paula!

I honestly think they would have been better off taking it to deadlock and letting America decide. Marcus is highly unlikely to win, given he has been bottom two the last two weeks and Drew, imo, had a far more original vibe.

I think with that vote, it was more a two fingered salute to Simon than a judgement based on talent alone......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Astro will be fine. He's got a very bright future ahead of him. I'm excited about him actually.

Simon really looked pissed and Steve Jones didnt help matters by keep asking him for a comment :p

Gutted for Astro but had kinda made my peace with the fact that he could go.

Some real quality moments at the end, was crying laughing on a couple of occasions:
    • Steve Jones throwing his arms up to heaven when Simon told him he didn't have anything to say. Body language screamed "Can I do ANYTHING right?!?"
    • Another Steve Jones cock-up: when Drew finished singing, he went and gave her a big hug, looked like a sweetheart then coldly told her "Go on over there now."
    • The very end of the show with Steve signing off, LA Reid just stood behind him, folded arms, with a stern look on his face staring dead into the camera. So random. It was as if Steve had gotten drunk and ruined a wedding or something and LA was waiting with him, quietly seething, while he puked up in the toilet: letting him finish but you know he's so ****ed when he does. Re-watch it if you can and missed it, absolute gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Notorioux wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Jesus that was unbelieveably rude to that girl!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus that was unbelieveably rude to that girl!!!

Actually, people were saying on the comments, that it's edited. Nicole sang when the girl left on stage. EVIL MEDIA! :mad: It's funny though, cause Simon got owned AGAIN!

Is it two eliminations again this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

May I be the 1st to say, Rachel was amazing in the sing off.

Did not deserve to go. Felt really bad for her on stage. Such a cute little kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I didn't watch it but when I saw there was a new post in here I thought "I bet it will say that Rachel went" :D She is a cute kid, too young for the competition though. Who was she against in the sing-off? I'd say Simon was livid?

I haven't been watching this at all in weeks, I find it a bit boring. I've just kept up with what's going on here, and I always look up Josh's performances on YT <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I didn't watch it but when I saw there was a new post in here I thought "I bet it will say that Rachel went" :D She is a cute kid, too young for the competition though. Who was she against in the sing-off? I'd say Simon was livid?

I haven't been watching this at all in weeks, I find it a bit boring. I've just kept up with what's going on here, and I always look up Josh's performances on YT <3

I agree, she is much too young for it she was up against Marcus and Nicole put it to deadlock. Simon wasn't that mad as she was sent home after deadlock meaning that she had the lowest votes anyway so deserved to go.

Advertisement