Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renouncing Irish Citizenship

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001, after the LC, for 4 years, then in Ireland for 3 years (the most miserable 3 years of my life), and then to Spain for 3 years, where I am now.

The government agencies I work for here in Spain sped up my application for Spanish citizenship a few months ago, as I have provided them with solid, constant work for the past 3 years.

I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010).

I seriously want to denouce my Irish Citizenship.

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

I know the process, but I'm asking for advice on this. Has anyone done this before, and are other Irish emmigrants doing this?

I want to go right ahead and do it, but my parents, siblings and friends are going nuts over my decision.

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

Good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I've heard of bias towards your own race and if OP was an non Irish person rambling on as he does about the negative conatations of being Irish he would be racist or to be politically correct , '' Not Very Politically Correct ''

Trolls day out which has provided a laugh .......NEXT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That's the thing: I find a lot of right-on peeps here freak over the attacking of any underdeveloped nations but it's ok to attack the people of developed ones, like the US, and Ireland. The latter possibly also because it's progressive to criticise your own country? It is of course reasonable to criticise aspects of your own country and society, but the "I'm ashamed" sh1t is just painfully needy for validation from other nationalities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The number of seats won by Fianna Fail at the election will determine whether or not I agree with the OP, however at the moment I am in full agreement with him. However I will never renounce my Irishness, works wonders with the Foreign ladies and having a foreign passport would also improve my chances with the dangerous animal known as "Irish Woman"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001, after the LC, for 4 years, then in Ireland for 3 years (the most miserable 3 years of my life), and then to Spain for 3 years, where I am now.

The government agencies I work for here in Spain sped up my application for Spanish citizenship a few months ago, as I have provided them with solid, constant work for the past 3 years.

I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010).

I seriously want to denouce my Irish Citizenship.

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

I know the process, but I'm asking for advice on this. Has anyone done this before, and are other Irish emmigrants doing this?

I want to go right ahead and do it, but my parents, siblings and friends are going nuts over my decision.

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

Thank God, another Troll gone to live in a box room in Spain.:)
    Please bring a few of the other Trolls with you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Stinicker wrote: »
    The number of seats won by Fianna Fail at the election will determine whether or not I agree with the OP

I was of much the same opinion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Is it just beacuse of the government you're 'denouncing'? Because Ireland is so much more then FF.. (at least I hope it is:()
    Anyway your children have a right to know the truth of their ancestory, there is something very cruel about lying to them about where they're from and their family, imagine lying to a child about who their father is? Its the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Eh, you have to be kidding me? Have you lived in Spain? The Spanish look down on the Irish more than any other EU State. In Spain, the Irish are seen as lazy, drunk, stupid people. (which we are) but the Spanish really push it."

So, if it is true that Spaniards think this of the Irish......why are you so keen to be one of them?

Thats all I have to say, otherwise I will get banned and tbh, you are definately not worth a banning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP could be trolling, but those who thanked him aren't (unless they're doing the sarcastic thanking thing...) All that "Irish people are so sh1t apart from me" stuff has become really sheep-like and bereft of critical thought...
    The Spanish look down on the Irish more than any other EU State. In Spain, the Irish are seen as lazy, drunk, stupid people. (which we are) but the Spanish really push it.
    "We" are? I'd bet you don't consider yourself one of the "we" though (even though you're Irish, whether you like it or not)... ;)
    And yeah, we should really CARE how we're perceived by the Spanish - and cave into such bigotry, like a good bunch of white Uncle Toms. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

benwavner wrote: »
    So, if it is true that Spaniards think this of the Irish......why are you so keen to be one of them?
    This is the same Spanish people who send their children to Ireland to learn the best English ? .

Have you ever being sitting on an Irish bus with a load of spanish students ,rabbiting on as loudly as possible while being obnoixious to the local inhabitants ? Maybe this is what's called a superiority complex or maybe it's just the Spanish way .

Not all Spanish kids mind ya but many of them from memory were the biggest shoplifters in Dublin town on a saturday afternoon to .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good luck in Spain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement