Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renouncing Irish Citizenship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Spanish people dont think we're english, they get a bit standoffish and dismissive if they think you're english, but as soon as you clarify you're irish it's all smiles and best buddies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

The Orb wrote: »
    OP, if you are going to damn the whole country can you please tell us specifically why you so loathe it? Is blaming the entire country easier for you than taking responsibility yourself for how your life has unfolded. I am genuinely baffled as to how anyone can renounce their nationhood so damningly. Whatever you think and whatever passport you hold or not, you ARE Irish and will never be Spanish.

To me, Ireland is embarrassing.

I don't want my child knowing that I came from such a horrible country.

I no longer hold an Irish passport and now I wish to completely remove myself from the country.

I don't hate Ireland, but I want nothing to do with it. I am a Spanish citizen. I have worked long enough here to earn that status.

Ireland is a lost cause. It should be part of the UK.

I now wish to renounce my Irish citizenship.

Swampy wrote: »
    Feck off to boards.es. We don't like your type around here.

Why the hostility towards OP? It's probably not an easy decision to make... And if the threads all over After Hours are anything to go by, then we all think it's a complete shlthole.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Eh, you have to be kidding me? Have you lived in Spain? The Spanish look down on the Irish more than any other EU State. In Spain, the Irish are seen as lazy, drunk, stupid people. (which we are) but the Spanish really push it.

"Being Irish is very well received" - it is certainly not!

The British are worshiped in Spain, hence 'El Corte Ingles' and the various gobsh!tes wearing Union Jacks on clothing.

I think you need to live in Spain in order to understand what I'm on about.

r u fat freddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

because hes pays 300 for a box room and has no work except freelance which he gets **** all so is living from his savings and is depressed . his bank wont give him a morgage and its irelands fault
    correct me if im wrong OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

To me, Ireland is embarrassing.

I don't want my child knowing that I came from such a horrible country.

I no longer hold an Irish passport and now I wish to completely remove myself from the country.

I don't hate Ireland, but I want nothing to do with it. I am a Spanish citizen. I have worked long enough here to earn that status.

Ireland is a lost cause. It should be part of the UK.

Ok, you made these points already, Now you are trolling,

Tio no sabes nada de nada, a joder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

No need. The vast majority of people here think that Ireland is part of England. No joke.

The Spanish education system must be absolutely **** so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Why the hostility towards OP?

Because he's a dick and a traitor.

Stop using Spanish in the thread people.. It's retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

No need. The vast majority of people here think that Ireland is part of England. No joke.

No they don't. Thats your opinion, The vast majority of spanish I know. (having been there since 1991) know that that republic of Ireland is not part of UK.

Spaniards are more intelligent than you think. Your the dunce.

• Advertisement

Because he's a dick and a traitor.

A traitor? Learn the meaning of the word before you throw it around.. And why's he a dick?

I think it's a mad decision but if he wants to make it, let him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Nothing of value was lost

how have you a spanish passport
    http://www.justlanded.com/english/Spain/Articles/Visas-Permits/Spanish-citizenship

Most foreigners must have held a residence permit for ten years before they can apply for Spanish nationality. The main exceptions are those who have been granted political refuge or asylum, who can apply after five years, and nationals of Latin American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal and Jews of Spanish origin, all of whom qualify after just two years.

A one-year residence period is sufficient for someone born in Spain or born outside Spain with a Spanish mother or father, or anyone married to a Spanish citizen (even if the marriage has been dissolved).

In all cases, the period of residence in Spain must have been immediately before the application. Marriage to a Spanish citizen doesn’t entitle you to a work permit, although an application for one is usually granted and expedited. Foreign children aged under 18 who are adopted by Spanish parents automatically become Spanish citizens, although an adopted child aged 18 or older at the time of adoption must decide whether to choose Spanish nationality in the two years following adoption.

and here
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4420942_become-citizen-spain.html

Instructions

Reside in Spain for 10 years. Yes, that's right. You need to have lived in Spain for 10 consecutive years to be eligible to become a Spanish citizen.
    Become fluent in Spanish. In order to become a citizen of Spain, you'll need to be able to speak, read and write Spanish with little or no difficulty. You might be asked to prove this fluency if it falls into question during the application process.
    Prove that you are residing in Spain the majority of the time. While there are no restrictions on travel during the 10 year residency period, Spanish officials will attempt to find out whether or not you've actually been living in Spain legitimately during that period of time. It is likely that your citizenship request will be denied if your residency comes into question.
    Fill out an application for Spanish citizenship. This will require that you provide copies of your current documents. A background check is also needed to prove that you are a person of good character.
    Submit your application with the requisite filing fee. This fee may vary considerably depending on your individual circumstances.

Read more: How to Become a Citizen of Spain | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4420942_become-citizen-spain.html#ixzz1DAlx1STt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001, after the LC, for 4 years, then in Ireland for 3 years (the most miserable 3 years of my life), and then to Spain for 3 years, where I am now.

The government agencies I work for here in Spain sped up my application for Spanish citizenship a few months ago, as I have provided them with solid, constant work for the past 3 years.

I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010).

I seriously want to denouce my Irish Citizenship.

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

I know the process, but I'm asking for advice on this. Has anyone done this before, and are other Irish emmigrants doing this?

I want to go right ahead and do it, but my parents, siblings and friends are going nuts over my decision.

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

Dont forget to close the door on the way out. If you want to "renounce" Ireland, I dont think you'll find anyone trying to stop you however I will point out one thing.....

You believe Ireland is embarrassing - do you know much of the country you are now a citizen of or indeed any country for that matter - they all have their history.......and they all have their reasons to be embarrassed but they all have their reasons to be proud as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

hsi wrote: »
    No they don't. Thats your opinion, The vast majority of spanish I know. (having been there since 1991) know that that republic of Ireland is not part of UK.

Spaniards are more intelligent than you think. Your the dunce.

must be the company he keeps...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Spain is so lucky to get you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

A traitor? Learn the meaning of the word before you throw it around.. And why's he a dick?

I think it's a mad decision but if he wants to make it, let him..

ok. Perhaps not a traitor but still a dick. I am now starting to get the feeling you are a dick also.

Op i dont believe you have a spanish passport or citizenship in spain as you would need to live their 10 years on you have been there for 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

WIZE wrote: »
    Most foreigners must have held a residence permit for ten years before they can apply for Spanish nationality.

Oh, wow. I must have talking through me hole. :rolleyes:

Oh, wow. I must have talking through me hole. :rolleyes:
    yes you are . the facts are posted on post 74

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe he got fastracked through the system because he is Irish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

ah Poor guy, you got an identity crisis on your hands. It can happen to people that live abroad for long periods. your probably thinking that irelands just not very civilised, lacks diversity, just a backward wet bog full of drunks with no culture Or maybe its the recent events with the imf, our politicans making an absolute joke of us worldwide, people boring the **** out of you about house prices, non stop media negativity and all the rest. But you gotta remember its very narrow minded of you to think there is one culture that is better than the other, they all have there differences- good and bad. There certaintly is some parts of spanish and italian life style that i like to apply to my life but not it all.
    Ireland has a very strong culture if you havent noticed, people are very proud and willing to tell you to go **** yourself if you say otherwise :pac:
    Nobodys asking you to be a stereotyplical paddy, live and enjoy man, just dont get caught up in the ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001...
    I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010)... I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

You clearly haven't abandoned being Irish given your username. I doubt that there's a person outside Ireland who could understand it yet you count to it. Maybe subconsciously this is a cry for help?

Definite troll thread. Notice how he is ignoring all the posts about how Spain is in a worse state than Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

Here we go again with the anti Ireland/Irish bandwagon its becomming such a cliche. The countries reputation has already taken a beating internationally. We all know that we have had corupt incompetant goverments. These things go in cycles ireland will be a better place eventually. You didnt come on here looking for advice you came on here to rant and share your bitterness.

I'd put money that in a few years you'll be wingeing about spain and the Spanish. Have they not a higher rate of unemplyment over there ? are there banks not on the verge of a bailout ?

ok. Perhaps not a traitor but still a dick. I am now starting to get the feeling you are a dick also.
    Not really in this thread.. My posts have been fairly sound in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Big foots diick

i think he just needs a really big hug. ¿Desea un abrazo realmente grande?
    Thats it in spainish for all us thick,lazy paddys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

WIZE wrote: »
    because hes pays 300 for a box room and has no work except freelance which he gets **** all so is living from his savings and is depressed . his bank wont give him a morgage and its irelands fault
    correct me if im wrong OP

I think you want this thread

Was it ever proven whether he was that pervert creep that would film up young girl's skirts on O' Connell Street a while back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your username is a view into your soul.

It is clear from this that you are in fact a dub, chances are you are not even in spain, your probably holed up in some northside suburb right now with yer ma calling you for yer breaky.

'will ye ever get off da bleeding compuuutar'

You sir are a CAD, and i do not subscribe to your newsletter.

END

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement