Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renouncing Irish Citizenship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh, wow. I must have talking through me hole. :rolleyes:

No surprise there

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - 'Your lady' must be very special if she is happy for you to live in such crappy digs (http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170960).

¿Where are the kids who will never be allowed come to Ireland going to fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I am 17 and south African originally and I will be gettin my irish citizenship soon. I have been here with my parents and sister for about 9 years. I will always regard myself as a south African and I am keeping my south African citizenship as well. I suppose the point that I am trying to make is even how many mistakes south africa has made and how many problemsthere is there past and present, I still feel proudly south African. Even though I have now been in Ireland longer than I have been in south africa (and I am losing my accent which I am very pissed off about), I still feel south African. So I think you may regret cancelling your Irish citizenship as you may feel an emptiness afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Negative connotations"? What are you on about? Good god, what attention-seeking. I'm not into national pride, but I hate this sh1t too - two sides of the same coin imo.

Oh maybe you mean the all consuming national inferiority complex when you say "negative connotation"?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

Just back from mass and to be honest I've never prayed as hard for something in all my life,went like this:
    Dear Lord Jesus and God if you do not grant me anything for the remainder of my days on this mortal earth I beg of you to grant me this, that one day in about 18 years time GizAGoOfYerGee's 18 year old daughter brings back her new boyfriend to meet her parents and it turns out he is the biggest red headed, freckled faced turf cutting, sheep rearing,bottle Guinness drinking bogman ever to go on holidays out of our fine island,Amen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

for a man who does not like Ireland you spend a lot of time posting about it on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

There's plenty of foreign lads who would love Irish citizenship, so you're easily replaced. Bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

OP, just so I'm clear on this ...

You've moved from a country that's in a jock, to a country that's in more of a jock and you've decided to ask the people you wish to dissociate with what their opinion on that is? Makes sense!

I think the formal way of doing this is to take a dump in the tri-colour, wrap it up, set it on fire and leave outside government building, ring the doorbell and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

What negative conotations? There is very little difference between nationalities. For the most part, there's same amount of ar*eholes in every nationality.

If most Spanish think Ireland is a part of England, then that reflects on them and their knowledge of the outside world.

I know given my education, I wouldn't head to Catalunya and start preaching about what a great leader Franco was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

You're more than welcome to renounce your citizenship of our country. However, it would be utterly pointless to do so and you'll probably regret it in later life.

You see, even if you change your name to Miguel Sanchez and become a professional matador, Spanish people will always regard you as being a foreigner. You will never be one of them and no matter how well you can mimic their idiosyncrasies they will always be conscious of the subtle differences between you and them.

In fact, an Irishman, with no connection to Spain, claiming to be a Spanish would probably be greeted with equal amounts of contempt, pity and hilarity by a Spaniard.

Secondly, if you can hold an Irish passport and a Spanish one then why not continue to do so. An Irish passport is seen as one of the more valuable ones to hold. Even Ulster unionists carry Irish passports along with their British ones. There are no "negative conotations" associated with it.

If, for arguments sake, you get in some serious trouble in another country, which government will do you think will fight your corner the most. The Spanish?

Finally, you will eventually get tired of Spain, what are you going to do then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

You see, this is the problem with boards, you'll always get one cnut who'll trawl through your previous posts. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70072684&postcount=31
    I want nothing more than to be living, working, and raising a family in Ireland. But I can't.

I was working happily in Ireland from 1996 to 2007. There are no opportunities for me in Ireland anymore. I was forced to emigrate.

I started this thread because I thought there might be other Irish people with similar stories.

I want to be in Ireland, but I know I can't be. A child of mine is due. I wanted it to be brought up in Ireland, but instead it will be Spanish. I am finding that a bit difficult to accept, to be honest.

There appears to me to be no people in this thread that can relate to my predicament. Yet, millions of our own people have been in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Galicia.

Three years here now with lady. My accent is perfect. Spaniards think I'm from Spain.

No, never. That has already been decided. My children will never visit Ireland. I don't want them to pick up British culture from me or Ireland. If they want to visit Ireland when they're 18, they can do so.

there are few things more pathetic than someone changing their accent. congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This is easily the lamest thread I have come across in a long time. To pretend your 'from' another country to your kids? They should be taken away from you, you don't have the maturity to look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

aDeener wrote: »
    there are few things more pathetic than someone changing their accent. congratulations

i do hope he speaks in a spanish d4 accent

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

Jaysus your an awful spanish c**t.

Hope your kids are born with a big tuff of ginger hair, have a thick accent and are the freckliest little feckers ever. Also is she beating you that hard for not being Spanish?

From another emigrant. Ye dick!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Sorry OP, but you're a snob.

Going to so much effort to hide your roots because they're not good enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

hsi wrote: »
    Si, Vivi y trabaje 20 anos en espana!. Joder tio no sabes nada de nuestra pais ni nuestra cultura. (el de irlanda)

So my experience, real experience of spain trumps yours. And over 20 years I have never ever had a bad experience of being Irish.

El Corte Ingles.. is not a british store, just the name, the food is spanish.

and the spanish do not look down on the Ireland, Each year I bring thousands to Ireland to learn English, because in Spain its seem that the english in Ireland is of a better international standard that elsewhere in europe.

What are your credentials? From what I can see you are what.. 3 years in Spain. I went in 1991. I opened my own Irish School of English in Salamanca.

I think you need to separate the Irish Costa del Sol tourist vision of some Irish who go on Holidays. Outside the Marbella/Torremolinos/costa del sol areas being Irish is very very well received.

And from a Man who travels between spain and Ireland, Ireland is in a far better state at the moment than Spain is. 14% unemployement v 20% in spain, a growing export economy. And unemployment here is falling (not rising like in spain).

Also if Ireland is so bad, why did 5000 spainards come to Dublin last year for work?

Tio, de verdad no sabes nada de nada de Irlanda. Vives en tu "utopia", no en la realidad.
    Hey op, I think hsi has summed it all up here with 20 years of experience. If you can't accept that then you are deluded and full of your own self importance. I feel sorry for your Spanish neighbours, they must think you are a real tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

..........................................I don't want my child knowing that I came from such a horrible country.
    ......................................................I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it...................

So you live in a box room which you pay E300 per month for which you cannot afford and you have a child or children,hiding under the bed no doubt.

Probably a 30 year old spotty friendless virgin doing a TEFL program and out trolling on a saturday night because nothing else to do.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    OP - 'Your lady' must be very special if she is happy for you to live in such crappy digs (http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170960).

¿Where are the kids who will never be allowed come to Ireland going to fit?
    Hill Billy got you there pal, sussed out. snigger snigger, living in a shoe box!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Ok ok... I'm here now. WTF is going on here?

Why would anyone want to move to Spain? It's full of Spanish people :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

aDeener wrote: »
    How is it changing his accent?

He's speaking a different language with different pronunciations. For instance, in Spanish, que is pronounced kay, whereas, the same spelling in English would sound like the white ball in snooker.

Of course, it's not going to sound the same.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    You see, this is the problem with boards, you'll always get one cnut who'll trawl through your previous posts. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70072684&postcount=31
    Jesus, this just gets better. You really are a tit! Close this thread for the love of God, at least until his carer gives him permission to use the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I would love to move to Spain but there is no way I would be hiding the fact I am Irish and any one who wants to has obviously mixed up there tablets again

Reason like to move to Spain is asthma weather is good for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Sure it's a bad time in Ireland now. I'm an emigrant myself. That doesn't stop me however from being proud of the fine education I received and the culture and heritage of my country.

So you would be more proud to be Spanish than Irish? Fairplay to you! Let them have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

All nations are social constructs based in belief of shared myths. If the op wants to swap one set of myths for another, let him be. If your nationality is the most important thing in your life then there can be very little else in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The op hasent a clue what he wants or what he is doing, let him go he might get a job in a bull ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The op hasent a clue what he wants or what he is doing, let him go he might get a job in a bull ring. seems he talks so much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Ah bless there is nothing like a troll on a Sunday Morning before breakfast.

Gets the heart beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Dunno about renouncing being Irish... just laugh when asked where you're from and tell them... you can then tell tales of the "home country" and why you live somewhere else... good for conversation?

Just never come back here... as do an awful lot of "proud" Irish people, love the country but wouldn't live in it... ****ty, rural, expensive and run by robbers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm curious.

OP why were you forced to leave in 2001?
    Why were you forced to leave in 2007 ?
    Why are you trying to sever all connections to home ?
    Why do you not want your family to ever see your kids ?

In short....what are you running away from ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement