Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renouncing Irish Citizenship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Iceland?

Iceland has popped its head out of the sh1t now, and we're still wallowing in it at the bottom of the deep-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001, after the LC, for 4 years, then in Ireland for 3 years (the most miserable 3 years of my life), and then to Spain for 3 years, where I am now.

The government agencies I work for here in Spain sped up my application for Spanish citizenship a few months ago, as I have provided them with solid, constant work for the past 3 years.

I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010).

I seriously want to denouce my Irish Citizenship.

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

I know the process, but I'm asking for advice on this. Has anyone done this before, and are other Irish emmigrants doing this?

I want to go right ahead and do it, but my parents, siblings and friends are going nuts over my decision.

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

What is it about Ireland that is so bad?

I lived in Spain for over a year and it a fantastic country. Most Irish people don't have a clue how fantastic its culture is. As you say Spanish can be a bit ignorant about Ireland but Irish people's knowledge of Spain extends to a beach holiday in the Costa Del Sol or a piss up in Barcelona. I'm thinking of moving back to Spain so kudos to you to making a life there.

Whilst I was in Spain, while I didn't wish I was back in Ireland for one second, I was still extremely proud of my Irishness. Being Irish defines who I am and everyone I met was fascinated by Ireland. None had met the typical Irish abroad though thankfully as most of the latter are quite frankly uncultured small minded idiots. :pac: Is it that that you are trying to get away from?

What is so bad about Irish history and Irish culture that you want it erased from your life completely? Spain's great but it isn't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Noffles wrote: »
    Quite right,Ireland has a lot less to offer than that... less jobs, less money, less public transport, less infrastructure

And.. oh wait, there's more.. More Taxes, more price hikes, more costs for literally anything...

You tell em, it's lot more than Politics!!

You seem angry and really incorrect.

Ireland is one of the lowest tax economies in europe. We also have a better employment rate then spain.

Finally, spain is a quite a dangerous place with alot of serious social problems, petty crime & racial divides that are getting worse rather than better.

You self loathing Irish people are a strange bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

To me, Ireland is embarrassing.

I don't want my child knowing that I came from such a horrible country.

No, never. That has already been decided. My children will never visit Ireland. I don't want them to pick up British culture from me or Ireland. If they want to visit Ireland when they're 18, they can do so.

Don't you think it's a bit drastic to cut yourself and your child off from your family? No wonder they are trying to stop you doing this if you have told them they will never see their grand-kids/nieces/nephews etc.

Fair enough if you want to become a Spanish citizen but why such vitriol towards Ireland and Irish people? Seems like there is more to this than you are saying as that really isn't a normal thing to do, even if you do hate where you are from (assuming that what you say is true)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

If Ireland is so bad, then why are the Spaniards always stealing our fish and wandering around Temple Bar looking for "hashish"? Answer me THAT, OP.

On a serious note, if you want to renounce (or even denounce) your Irish citizenship, then you have every right to do so and I fully support you. However, you are doing this for what seems, in my opinion, fairly silly reasons and the fact is you will always be Irish by birth; you will just not longer have all of the rights and responsibilities with which that comes.

The thing that I do have a problem with is that you want to lie to your children about their heritage. There are many people, and one I know in particular, who would love nothing more than to know more about their origins, often because of absentee fathers, but you are one who plans to have an active role in their upbringing and lie about something that is a fairly fundamental part of who you, and by extension they, are. I don't think I could maintain such a lie to my own family for so many years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

ragg wrote: »
    Ireland is one of the lowest tax economies in europe.

I seriously doubt the OP is a multinational corporation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

ragg wrote: »
    You seem angry and really incorrect.

Ireland is one of the lowest tax economies in europe. We also have a better employment rate then spain.

Finally, spain is a quite a dangerous place with alot of serious social problems, petty crime & racial divides that are getting worse rather than better.

You self loathing Irish people are a strange bunch

Thank **** I'm not Irish then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

banquo wrote: »
    Is this an inquisition?
    Esel wrote: »
    I didn't expect that....

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

this guy looks to have some real issues going on here , keep finding his posts
    and every one is blasting ireland , ie

"Spain has a far, far superior road and rail network than Ireland. They are 20 years ahead of us.

Ireland doesn't even have plans for high-speed rail yet, and the majority of our motorways are relatively new. Dublin to Cork is now far quicker by bus than train.

Dublin is still ranked as the worst EU capital for public transport. Metro North and DART Underground, both very important projects, are continuously shot down and rubbished by the typical Irish, backward attitude to 21st century progress. "

now come op please tell us what did some bad man do to ya for you to be SO SO bitter ??? where you an alter boy ? i guess it is really a case of " haters gonna hate " and for someone who hates ireland and thinks the irish are backward WHY the hell dont ya F**K off this irish site and go play with your new spanish overlords :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ole!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Claudia5

You are so funny guy !!

Claudia
    XX
    Are you the OP's Irish man loving inner female alterego that he's trying to run away from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Noffles wrote: »
    Thank **** I'm not Irish then!

Do you live here? Or do you just troll irish message boards saying how **** Ireland is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

dj jarvis wrote: »
    this guy looks to have some real issues going on here , keep finding his posts
    and every one is blasting ireland , ie

"Spain has a far, far superior road and rail network than Ireland. They are 20 years ahead of us.

Ireland doesn't even have plans for high-speed rail yet, and the majority of our motorways are relatively new. Dublin to Cork is now far quicker by bus than train.

Dublin is still ranked as the worst EU capital for public transport. Metro North and DART Underground, both very important projects, are continuously shot down and rubbished by the typical Irish, backward attitude to 21st century progress. "

now come op please tell us what did some bad man do to ya for you to be SO SO bitter ??? where you an alter boy ? i guess it is really a case of " haters gonna hate " and for someone who hates ireland and thinks the irish are backward WHY the hell dont ya F**K off this irish site and go play with your new spanish overlords :D

To be honest with stuff like that he does have a point; our infrastructure is diabolical. In Madrid where I lived it was max a 5 mins wait for a metro to anywhere in the city; an absolute great system. Here, whilst I am lucky enough to live on the DART line I still had to wait 45 minutes for a train home yesterday. You can't defend Ireland in things like that. Doesn't make me look down on my citizenship though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks - let's not not forget what this thread is about. Ie, exposing the OP for being a troll. Grassy-ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Iceland has popped its head out of the sh1t now, and we're still wallowing in it at the bottom of the deep-end.

Have you been there recently?

A lot of my scandinavian friends reckon that Iceland's unemployment level's reduced because the Icelanders are all in Denmark, Norway and Sweden!

There really are a *lot* of them in some cities. It's quite remarkable and remarked upon.

That being said, Iceland's smaller than Co. Cork in terms of population so you'd hardly notice them spread around over a few countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Naikon wrote: »
    Can't say I am surprised. At this point, we would probably have been better off as part of the uk.

I can't say I'm surprised that you believe that nonsense, or at least on this Irish forum pretend to believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Quitter.....my opinion = never close off your options as you never know whats around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Calling any emmigrants on Boards.ie that have denouced Irish citizenship?

You can renounce your citizenship at any Irish consulate or embassy in the country you reside in now, provided you can prove your identity etc.

I think you might be well advised to reconsider your decision, there are benefits to being a citizen of another country, particularly if you or your adopted home run into difficulties in the future, it's nice to have an alternative, and it's one your children will also have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

What a selfish and immature rant by the OP, probably in the top 5 stupid posts ever on this site. I gotta join other posters by saying good riddance, the less people who think so bitterly, and in such a blinkered way, the better!

You are a parent, grow the f**K up and cop on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Successful troll is successful.

On the other hand if he isn't its clear he is in denial.
    Clearly he is still Irish at heart.

Look at the amount of complaining he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

You're a treasonous eejit or a treasonous troll, in both cases worthy of public flogging.

On th off chance this is a serious post - your children are entitled to know where you are from (they'll get it from your accent, btw) and will not thank you for hiding it from them. In fact, they'll probably hate you for it. It's a scummy thing to do.

Negative conotations? Seriously? It's a nationality, not a disability.

If your post is serious, then by all means go ahead. I'll stamp the form myself. We seriously don't want you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Yugioh wrote: »
    To be honest with stuff like that he does have a point; our infrastructure is diabolical. In Madrid where I lived it was max a 5 mins wait for a metro to anywhere in the city; an absolute great system. Here, whilst I am lucky enough to live on the DART line I still had to wait 45 minutes for a train home yesterday. You can't defend Ireland in things like that. Doesn't make me look down on my citizenship though!

ok but that was not his point in the first place , he does not like the irish or ireland and is bad mouthing a country that is ranked 11th and spain is ranked 23rd
    http://www.prosperity.com/country.aspx?id=SP SPAIN

http://www.prosperity.com/country.aspx?id=EI IRELAND

his above quote was in another thread where he was also bad mouthing Ireland , and again i ask the question if he hates this place so much why does he stay on boards.ie and have 4 threads going and all dumping on Ireland???
    because he is a knob jockey plain and simple , give back your Irish passport , burn your Irish birt cert and good riddance to you , the spanish are more than welcome 2 you and your attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I must say, I've enjoyed this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

hsi wrote: »
    Man, your in the EU!... Makes no sense to renounce. Would be different if you were living in say US.

The Irish passport is very well received. As as far as I am aware there are no with it.
    I have used it as form ID many times in UK and mainland Europe with no problems or negative conotations ( what a term of phrase ) at all .

The anger , frustrations and worrys of the Irish people as to what's happened to the country are well recieved and understood abroad but living in UK myself ,not once have I never entertained the idea of renouncing my passport or nationality . My sister has duel nationality with both passports (Irish/Dutch ) but she would laugh at the idea of suddenly 'not being Irish anymore '

OP got all the responses and attention he was looking for ie, ' Hey guys, big announcement to make ,I'm renouncing my Irish passport and nationality ..yes I'm afraid it's come to this sorry '' .......like WTF? .

If you really want to renounce your nationality then why not just do it on the quite,why announce it on one of the largest Irish forums ? The answer seems pretty obious .....Attention or trolling of the worst kind .

sdonn wrote: »
    You're a treasonous eejit or a treasonous troll, in both cases worthy of public flogging.

What???
    Negative conotations? Seriously? It's a nationality, not a disability.

Abroad it can be a somewhat negative label. I think the OP should rethink the decision, particularly in view of the benefits of dual-citizenship for his children and himself, and for the insurance it could provide for the future. But his reasons are understandable, if a little weak.
    If your post is serious, then by all means go ahead. I'll stamp the form myself. We seriously don't want you.

That kind of crap is just pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Gyalist wrote: »
    The OP may or may not be trolling but why are people so hyper-sensitive to his claim to want to renounce Irish citizenship?
    Because he's worried about what people think of the Irish - that is beyond pathetic a reason to renounce your citizenship. And it's an insult to other Irish people. I don't believe in national pride, but I don't believe in national shame either. There's way too much letting nationality define oneself - positively or negatively. I find it strange the way it's unacceptable from some right-on quarters for people to make negative comments about some nations, but not others. Anti Irishness was something a lot of older generations had to put up with, but hey... let's cave into it.
    All he asked was what was the procedure and whether anyone else had done it.
    He said a bit more than that in fairness.
    I've seen people post here before about renouncing Catholicism and their questions were answered without all the vitriol. and, in fact, they were congratulated for taking that step.
    Not comparing like with like.
    If you've never connected with the culture or people whats to stop you from saying
    Probably just means you're a malcontent who won't connect with anyone.
    well I don't regard myself as Irish and therefore don't want to be Irish. Just because you're born on a geographical landmass does not automatically make you this or that nationality
    It does.
    Love how the people who don't want to be Irish are the ones who feel you shouldn't imbue nationality with much meaning... yet they are doing that very thing.
    Jeez who cares if someone wants to renounce their citizenship, I say more power to you, fck what anyone else thinks, its your choice.
    Ironically, it's what others think that is influencing the OP here.

"I don't consider myself Irish" from someone who has benefitted plenty from living here all their lives (because in fairness, it ain't Burma) and has family and friends here just seems like emo whingeing.
    Of course there are things wrong with Ireland, but I don't get how people feel they have to hold themselves responsible just because they were born here.

Dudess wrote: »
    (because in fairness, it ain't Burma)

Where?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lol @ how people are receiving infractions for insulting the OP when he has basically insulted the entire country in his opening post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001, after the LC, for 4 years, then in Ireland for 3 years (the most miserable 3 years of my life), and then to Spain for 3 years, where I am now.

The government agencies I work for here in Spain sped up my application for Spanish citizenship a few months ago, as I have provided them with solid, constant work for the past 3 years.

I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010).

I know the process, but I'm asking for advice on this. Has anyone done this before, and are other Irish emmigrants doing this?

I want to go right ahead and do it, but my parents, siblings and friends are going nuts over my decision.

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

Added to my Ignore List. Spanner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I wonder do you have to send a postal order with your appication form?:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement