Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renouncing Irish Citizenship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ok ok... I'm here now. WTF is going on here?

Why would anyone want to move to Spain? It's full of Spanish people :confused:
    Nice of you to join us. :)

If you do decide to leave (as per other thread), Spain needs you to bring the overall Irish ex-pat IQ back to acceptable levels.

(I had forgotten how much fun AH could be. Must come here more often.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

I don't blame anyone for renouncing their Irish citizenship... us and Greece are the scandal tales of Europe... both had corrupt, inept politicians voted into office.

We arrived where we are, for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm curious.
    Off-topic. Try the Sex & Sexuality forum.
    Why do you not want your family to ever see your kids ?
    I'd imagine it is because they'd be spanish & ginger & stunted from being reared in a shoe-box apartment. * shudder *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad?
    If I had children and they told me they were ashamed of their country and family I'd be pretty pissed off.

If you asked someone to read your post but obscured the word "Ireland" and didn't tell them what year this was written, they would be forgiven for thinking you were talking about Nazi Germany.

What will you do when you discover Spain isn't perfect by the way? Will you keep denouncing your citizenship of every country you live in until you find some ideal Utopia?

By the way, you should consider changing your name to "DameUnIrDeLaVagina".

EDIT - Having read your post again it sounds like you might have some personal problems that have nothing to do with the economy. I apologise if there's more to why you want to forget your roots than meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

hsi wrote: »

We are a neutral country and our passport opens a lot of doors.

Had to travel to Afica last year and some countries ask my British friends to pay a $100 visa charge, but Irish passport was free as we give aid to them.

I'd be 100% positive that the reason for the visa charge is because Britain charges them a substantial fee for a visa and not because Ireland is a substantial donor to Africa. After all, Britain is a much larger donor to Africa.

The OP may or may not be trolling but why are people so hyper-sensitive to his claim to want to renounce Irish citizenship? All he asked was what was the procedure and whether anyone else had done it. I've seen people post here before about renouncing Catholicism and their questions were answered without all the vitriol. and, in fact, they were congratulated for taking that step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its interesting to see that just because someone doesn't want to be Irish even though they're born here elicits so much vitriol from their native peers, its kinda tribalistic. If you've never connected with the culture or people whats to stop you from saying, well I don't regard myself as Irish and therefore don't want to be Irish. Just because you're born on a geographical landmass does not automatically make you this or that nationality, its whether you connect with the culture and choose to define yourself in those terms. Jeez who cares if someone wants to renounce their citizenship, I say more power to you, fck what anyone else thinks, its your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I don't blame anyone for renouncing their Irish citizenship... us and Greece are the scandal tales of Europe... both had corrupt, inept politicians voted into office.

Even though we have a lot of crap to put up with in this country I would never ever deny to anyone that i am Irish or give up my citizenship,The way to change the country is to get involved and get out and vote, not run away.There is no country in the world that has all the answers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Wake Biko and Micky, we need a lock.

I for one am proud to be Irish and no skewed political system will change that.

Being Irish is alot more than just politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001, after the LC, for 4 years, then in Ireland for 3 years (the most miserable 3 years of my life), and then to Spain for 3 years, where I am now.

The government agencies I work for here in Spain sped up my application for Spanish citizenship a few months ago, as I have provided them with solid, constant work for the past 3 years.

I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010).

I seriously want to denouce my Irish Citizenship.

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

I know the process, but I'm asking for advice on this. Has anyone done this before, and are other Irish emmigrants doing this?

I want to go right ahead and do it, but my parents, siblings and friends are going nuts over my decision.

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

I still don't see how you were forced to leave during the good ole boom year of 2001? Unemployment was at like 5% so if you couldn't find a job then perhaps your weren't forced to move, you're just part of that bottom 5% and just not smart enough to be here, in which case we dont want you here!

• Advertisement

Without reading the thread.

My off the wall theory is that the OP is a lesbian that has left this country with another woman and kids and her family are not best pleased with the situation.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Marcusm wrote: »
    You clearly haven't abandoned being Irish given your username. I doubt that there's a person outside Ireland who could understand it yet you count to it. Maybe subconsciously this is a cry for help?

When I first saw the OPs username I thought it was a girl who thought her gee wasn't goofy enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

what happens when your child has to do a bit about their family history?? are you going to lie to them...????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Kasabian wrote: »
    I for one am proud to be Irish and no skewed political system will change that.

Being Irish is alot more than just politics.

Quite right,Ireland has a lot less to offer than that... less jobs, less money, less public transport, less infrastructure

And.. oh wait, there's more.. More Taxes, more price hikes, more costs for literally anything...

You tell em, it's lot more than Politics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Noffles wrote: »
    Quite right,Ireland has a lot less to offer than that... less jobs, less money, less public transport, less infrastructure

And.. oh wait, there's more.. More Taxes, more price hikes, more costs for literally anything...

That anger will in the long term hurt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

That's another s*** thing about Ireland at the moment, people who can't wait to reference the state of the economy in every conversation.

There were times when we had a lot less than we have now, we were still proud to be Irish though. Money has corrupted us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

m@cc@ wrote: »
    That's another s*** thing about Ireland at the moment, people who can't wait to reference the state of the economy in every conversation.

There were times when we had a lot less than we have now, we were still proud to be Irish though. Money has corrupted us.

So having more money in the economy is corrupt... lol the way the Irish got it I suppose yes.... I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

So having more money in the economy is corrupt... lol the way the Irish got it I suppose yes.... I stand corrected

Try reading what's has been written instead of commenting like some Daily Fail blogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gene the cow

who dsnt want to live in Ireland and be Irish where the greatest country ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I still don't see how you were forced to leave during the good ole boom year of 2001? !

Cost of living maybe ?

Booms can be pretty overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

i dunno what this op's on about, i think ireland is pure class!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I'd love to see the meeting for that one

Interviewer: Well its a shame that you are giving up your citizenship, all we need now is your Irish card and your new address to send your shipment of potatos... i mean severance package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Claudia5

Well I would love to become Irish citizen & love Irish guys !!

Claudia
    I was forced abroad to the UK in 2001, after the LC, for 4 years, then in Ireland for 3 years (the most miserable 3 years of my life), and then to Spain for 3 years, where I am now.

The government agencies I work for here in Spain sped up my application for Spanish citizenship a few months ago, as I have provided them with solid, constant work for the past 3 years.

I now hold a Spanish passport and have no reason to renew my Irish one (expired 2010).

I do not want my children to know that their father is from Ireland, and have to deal with all the negative conotations that go with it.

I know the process, but I'm asking for advice on this. Has anyone done this before, and are other Irish emmigrants doing this?

I want to go right ahead and do it, but my parents, siblings and friends are going nuts over my decision.

I hate what Ireland has become and I don't want to be part of it. I want out. I don't want to be Irish. Why is that bad? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Claudia5 wrote: »

Claudia

You see OP, being Irish always ends with sexy results!

Good luck in Spain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

No matter what anyone says...taking an honest look at it... we're a fu**ed up country... and we did this to ourselves.

I say, emigrate to a northern ( honest ) protestant country... look how they managed the recent years,compared to us. No arguement, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No matter what anyone says...taking an honest look at it... we're a fu**ed up country... and we did this to ourselves.

I say, emigrate to a northern ( honest ) protestant country... look how they managed the recent years,compared to us. No arguement, really.

Iceland?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

:

Why the outright shame? People like you annoy me, just constant negativity about things like Irishness, could you not dwell on something more worthwhile.

And what negative connotations? What has Ireland become. OMG! A recession! Spain is pretty much as ****ed as here.

To be honest, I'd be glad if you weren't Irish anymore, we don't need another moan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Claudia5

What basis do you say is a fu**ed up country !!!!

Claudia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Claudia
    What basis do you say is a fu**ed up country !!!!

Claudia

Are you the OP's Irish man loving inner female alterego that he's trying to run away from ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement