Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the tomb of the giants is harder IMO. i really really hate the skeleton dogs.

i find getting to the 4 kings easy, i sometimes have trouble fighting them though.

use the grass crest shield for quicker stamina regeneration. maybe use the magic weapon or power within for higher damage. also 2 hand your weapon and flake away.

another tip, you can damage them as they die to take even more off there total health. that's if you do not need to use a flask in between when they appear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

2smiggy wrote: »
    the tomb of the giants is harder IMO. i really really hate the skeleton dogs.

i find getting to the 4 kings easy, i sometimes have trouble fighting them though.

use the grass crest shield for quicker stamina regeneration. maybe use the magic weapon or power within for higher damage. also 2 hand your weapon and flake away.

another tip, you can damage them as they die to take even more off there total health. that's if you do not need to use a flask in between when they appear.

i dont use the grass crest shield anymore
    i mainly use that mask
    you get out of them mage looking things right before you fight the boss in the tomb of the giants nito i think his name is ha

i use that to refil stamina
    i use the towershield full upgraded with fire , manages to block most bosses attacks
    and i use powerwithin mainly on bosses as well
    i need to find the bonfirs in the ghost place because everytime i die, i respawn right back near the firelink shine
    abit of a walk from their ha

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

iron skin is handy enough really reduces damage for the 4 kings , i just went 2hander and iron skin and wailed on them, you have some time before the 2nd / 3rd and 4th spawn so if you are lucky and quick you can keep it at 1vs1

saiint wrote: »
    i dont use the grass crest shield anymore
    i mainly use that mask
    you get out of them mage looking things right before you fight the boss in the tomb of the giants nito i think his name is ha

i use that to refil stamina
    i use the towershield full upgraded with fire , manages to block most bosses attacks
    and i use powerwithin mainly on bosses as well
    i need to find the bonfirs in the ghost place because everytime i die, i respawn right back near the firelink shine
    abit of a walk from their ha

no bonfire in new londo ruins. but it is only a few minutes run from the fire link to the 4 kings when you know the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm thinking I might actually finish this game - only about five bosses left and then I've cleared everything. Didn't see that happening when I started playing 10 months ago.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might actually finish this game - only about five bosses left and then I've cleared everything. Didn't see that happening when I started playing 10 months ago.

i felt the same
    i loved the game at the beginning but i hadnt got a clue what i was doing
    were to go
    and kept getting killed ha, finally im actually making progress and enjoying the game to its value

they could sell the game for 100e and id still buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I forgot to put the link in with my last post.
    There are probably better videos out by now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGmXeArZ0bQ

Restart steam guys, you can now preload :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Looks like its now available on steam. Must. Resist. New. Content!!!!!

just about to go to the gargoyles on the PC , never seen so many summon signs !!

seems a fair bit more laggy than the PS3 though

• Advertisement

Someone has fixed the internal rendering

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=92

Just remember to turn off in game anti aliasing for it to work.

It will be interesting to see if there is an fps lock fix. I know it will be much more difficult but you wouldn't know what the moding community are capable of!

couldnt bloody resist - i now own 2 copies of dark souls :)

damn it , why did i just start a new char last week- well thats about 20 hours of fun just gone :D

couldnt bloody resist - i now own 2 copies of dark souls :)

damn it , why did i just start a new char last week- well thats about 20 hours of fun just gone :D

on the last boss now :D finally reached the end
    and im after dieing about 15 times now ha
    how do you beat this dude? ha i heard parrying is a good way
    also might get it on pc now :P new content is pulling me in

to beat him i kinda cheesed it
    cast iron skin and used the moonbutterfly shield thing that fires the attack as its secondary. just went toe to toe , took 5 hits with it i think . was close - alot of running around the rocks when the spell wore off to recast :D

edit: just remember he is easy enough to parry - has large telegraphs on his moves. (i was never very good at parrying hence my using of the shield attack :) )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

tuxy wrote: »
    Someone has fixed the internal rendering

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=92

Just remember to turn off in game anti aliasing for it to work.

It will be interesting to see if there is an fps lock fix. I know it will be much more difficult but you wouldn't know what the moding community are capable of!

Is this the same as this mod?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

Ah it is yes :), god bless the pc community.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dcully wrote: »
    Is this the same as this mod?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

Ah it is yes :), god bless the pc community.

I am 100% sure we will have HD full mod next year by some moders :D.

Had a quick go lastnight and almost pissed myself laughing at the graphics even though i expected as such.
    Its like a 10 year old game but but but ,ive recently being enjoying the delights of baldurs gate which is older than 10 years and looks equally crap but as much as i love my games looking great with high framerate nothing beats good honest gameplay.
    One of my favourite fps games is the old Day of Defeat which looks terrible by todays standards but has amazing gameplay, so yes i can deal with poor visuals.

Dark Souls seems to have gameplay in bucket loads.
    I was expecting the game to look poor and have poor framerate which it does but judging by other forums some people expected a silky smooth game.
    I played the game on xbox briefly a month or so ago for 30 mins, the PC version looks and plays identical.

Ill definitely be modding my game to improve the looks but for now im just happy to be able to play this game that everyone raves about so much:)

The only thing is Guild Wars 2 servers open tomorrow :D:D:D

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Lets highjack this thread and turn it into a Day of Defeat appreciation thread.

Tried that high res mod and wow it totally transforms the game.
    Only thing is you cant read the messages with it.
    Im guessing the message reading is essential or is it jut a tutorial at the beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Dcully wrote: »
    Tried that high res mod and wow it totally transforms the game.
    Only thing is you cant read the messages with it.
    Im guessing the message reading is essential or is it jut a tutorial at the beginning?

Not sure how imporant text reading is but apparently it's being worked on so a fix/update should appear shortly.
    Known Issues
    ■Message text is not rendered correctly. I will work on this tomorrow.
    ■Does not work with the in-game AA (but that’s just a blur filter anyway)
    ■Bad framerate reported on AMD cards, NV seems fine

• Advertisement

Cheers, it will be great once the message fix is in place.
    The actually looks pretty good with this high res mod.
    The low fps as in locked at 30 doesnt bother this game at all as its pretty slow paced, great game so far.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

First PC review spotted over at PC Gamer.

89%
    Great game but they lament the fact its a barebones console port.

They however noted load times where better than console and it wasn't bugy, it didn't crash on them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am so tempted, but I got so many games to play and I am back in to wow and Diablo 3... Other lads are black mailing me to start guild wars 2 too...

Still, need to see reviews, but good to know nosing community on it already.

this may seem a little stupid, but i am new to PC gaming. could you give me an idea of how to install the mod ? i looked at neo gaf etc , but there many many pages to go through, and it can be a little daunting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Not sure how imporant text reading is but apparently it's being worked on so a fix/update should appear shortly.
    A partial fix is out.
    2smiggy wrote: »
    this may seem a little stupid, but i am new to PC gaming. could you give me an idea of how to install the mod ? i looked at neo gaf etc , but there many many pages to go through, and it can be a little daunting
    Keep an eye for the first post in the thread for future updates. In this case:
    How do I use it?
    Place d3d9.dll and DSfix.ini into the game's binary directory. (The place where DARKSOULS.exe is)
    You can open DSfix.ini with a text editor to adjust the desired internal resolution

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How demanding is it to run? Systemrequirementslab told me my laptop's Graphics card isn't good enough.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

How demanding is it to run? Systemrequirementslab told me my laptop's Graphics card isn't good enough.

not sure how demanding it is to run, but i have a new computer with an i5 3570 processor and an HD 7850 graphics card, and it definitely a little laggy. i am near enough to my first trip to blightown , so that will tell alot :eek:

i never got cursed by them f**king frogs before till last night ! 3 times in a row !! might have been the cider or lack of sleep !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sounds like I might be better off giving it a miss.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

i will try the fixes that have been released by the community. if they make it any better i will report back. looking around the internet it does seem to make a positive difference.

i have about an hours work to do in work , then i am heading home ! hopefully will get to skinny and fatty in a few hours. there will be no shortage in summoning signs anyway !!

i am yet to see my first invader, but i imagine by the time i get to anor londo there will be a few around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

There is no circumstance where the above is true.

Just reading about the PC gamers getting it is making me want to play it again.

A brilliant game. Don't miss out.

Advertisement