Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I say it was 50/50....the content is timed exclusive to PC.

From the previews of the game it looks to be no worse than the PC version, just marginally better (not talking about the additional content which is suppose to be about 10 hours long) and not taking advantage of the extra horsepower of the PC.

I'd imagine its a trial run for the developer to see how viable the PC is as a platform for there future games and they see it as risky development project so they wanted to make the port as cheap as possible. I'm kind of conflicted on this.

I want the game and I want them to make future titles available on PC but I don't want to encourage cheap and quick ports.

All the same I'm probably going pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dark-souls-pc-preview-the-devils-bargain

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dark-souls-pc-preview-the-devils-bargain
    it's a relief to say Blight Town now plays without all the constant chugging. The improvement is staggering to those that endured the treacle-like pace of the area on PS3 and 360, already making this version a winning proposition.

Speaking about the new areas:

It's a relief to see that every area that follows feels consistent with the rest of the game's brooding visual tone, and yet unique enough to warrant returning to Lordran.
    While the frame-rate's rough edges have been filed down, you're still going to be playing at 30FPS out of the box,
    There's also something curious about the resolution too in that there's no change in clarity when attempting to crank up the settings.
    Due to the smoother, if limited, frame-rate, the PC version is also looking to be the definitive way to play the game, especially for those planning to jump in for the first time on August 24th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd find rock, paper, shotgun would be the more believable source.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd find rock, paper, shotgun would be the more believable source.

Yeah well...you're weird.

By the way, a comment by Adam Smith who authored the rockpaperscissors article:

Adam Smith says:

Clever tech man Thomas Morgan, who was there on the day and doing all sorts of Digital Foundry style tests and comparisons, has captured all that detail rather well.

Check out his Eurogamer preview.

He did get to see Blight Town, which I didn’t, and the “constant chugging” is apparently eliminated. That was my big fear – that the worst parts of the console experience would still be there. The final six paragraphs of Tom’s article cover it all.

We’ll have more once we have review code obviously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Now Digital Foundry I would trust, if they bring out an article on eurogamer it would be the definitive one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Kiith wrote: »
    24th of August. You can get it for less then €40 as well.

http://www.dlcompare.com/games/cd-key-download-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-352

Have you bought from these guys before? Are they reliable?
    I clicked the gamerocket link and got a 502 bad gateway error :(

Now Digital Foundry I would trust, if they bring out an article on eurogamer it would be the definitive one.

Nice back tracking!

Basically, the Rockpaperscissors article isn't the be all and end all as they author didn't even make it to BlightTown so I wouldn't be so quick to "distrust" the EG article for no good reason.

You should always base these things on their merits rather than your own opinion of the respective websites.

Eh, there's backtracking there at all? I'd trust Rock, Paper, Shotgun more because they are primarily a PC based website. I'd trust digital foundry more because all their tech analysis articles are absolutely superb and the best in the industry. I've seen plenty of eurogamer's journalists comment on the tech side of a game in a review or preview only for the digital foundry guys to contradict them.

Good to see there will be a digital foundry analysis of the PC build.

Eh, there's backtracking there at all? I'd trust Rock, Paper, Shotgun more because they are primarily a PC based website. I'd trust digital foundry more because all their tech analysis articles are absolutely superb and the best in the industry. I've seen plenty of eurogamer's journalists comment on the tech side of a game in a review or preview only for the digital foundry guys to contradict them.

Good to see there will be a digital foundry analysis of the PC build.

Given the articles were just first impressions based on an hour of playthrough in a room - I don't really see where your initial downplaying of one article over the other made any sense.

Especially given the author of the RPS article admits the EG one covers more.

Well I didn't realise the author was one of the digital foundry team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

If they manage to do a decent port, with the controls intact and the blight town lag gone, I'll buy it. Didn't get around to finishing it on the xbox so I'd totally play through it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I heard the DLC for the consoles isn't coming out until December. Is this true does anyone know?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

currently on my way to the second bell
    after 13-14 hours of gameplay i finally found blighttown haha took me ages ha

got killed by the toxins
    stacked up on that thing that gets rid of poison but didnt know id need toxin one as well

finished for tonight but can anyone tell me am i going the right way to the bell? ha i already rang the one in the church but havnt got a clue how to get to the next one

i went through the depts or what ever u call it the sewers to get to blighttown but i heard theirs different ways
    and also
    when you start the game fresh and only reach the very first bonfire in the game, you know when you can go up hill towards the bridge or down al the way down towards the ghosts
    or even through the graveyard
    well ive so far only went up hill never been to the other too places
    do they matter? ha or have i just went a different way to the 2nd bell
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

saiint wrote: »
    currently on my way to the second bell
    after 13-14 hours of gameplay i finally found blighttown haha took me ages ha

got killed by the toxins
    stacked up on that thing that gets rid of poison but didnt know id need toxin one as well

finished for tonight but can anyone tell me am i going the right way to the bell? ha i already rang the one in the church but havnt got a clue how to get to the next one

i went through the depts or what ever u call it the sewers to get to blighttown but i heard theirs different ways
    and also
    when you start the game fresh and only reach the very first bonfire in the game, you know when you can go up hill towards the bridge or down al the way down towards the ghosts
    or even through the graveyard
    well ive so far only went up hill never been to the other too places
    do they matter? ha or have i just went a different way to the 2nd bell
    thanks

Yep you're going the right way. Explore absolutely everywhere, there's tons of secrets & alternate paths.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really looking forward to the PC version,pity guild wars 2 is out about the same time.

Yep you're going the right way. Explore absolutely everywhere, there's tons of secrets & alternate paths.

dont worry i am, really loving this game
    at the start i didnt get into
    but now i cant put the thing down haha
    blighttown when im home from work then onto that second bell

can anyone tell me where do i use titnite or what you call that stuff to upgrade your weopens

i know theirs a black smith near the first bell church and he only uses 1 type of tinite metal ( cant remember the name of it)but over the course of the game i played ive all different types, and dunno how to apply them to weopens, cause that blacksmith only uses 1 type

There's a second blacksmith you can find later on.

There's a second blacksmith you can find later on.

and does he upgrade all weopens with any of that tinite stuff? or only use 1 as well

He gives more upgrade options and takes different resources.

He gives more upgrade options and takes different resources.

thx man big help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

This will fill you in on all you need to know about upgrading weapons and which type of titanite does what:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades

just rang the second bell
    got invaded as well
    and kick the guys ass haha never won a pvp game before so didnt know you got loads of souls as well as a humanity

so now after ringing the second bell (was a pain in the ass seriously) ha took me about 2 hours to the lair then another 8 tries just to beat the b*tch ha

were do i go from here
    i went towards the ceasser discharge monster, died twice and just saved it from their, but i see a gate open as well when i rang the second bell, does it matter which way i go? if i go further down is that just that bit extra to explour and the gate is the main way to go or what haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Go back to the initial bonfire and head up to where the pool was

Well done on the 2nd bell though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I heard the DLC for the consoles isn't coming out until December. Is this true does anyone know?

That is the projected release date, which seems strange since the PC port due out at the end of this month will have the same content...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    That is the projected release date, which seems strange since the PC port due out at the end of this month will have the same content...

Is it strange that a publisher would choose xmas for releasing content?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

I'm guessing From want us to pick up the PC version to get the extra content. That's a shame. I wish companies would stop pulling crap like this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Taltos wrote: »
    Go back to the initial bonfire and head up to where the pool was

Well done on the 2nd bell though :)

which bonfire mate? the very first one in the game? or the one in swamp area were theirs 2 small fly monsters just ouside of it near quualags lair

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

The very first one (where the crow dropped you) - where some folk hang about - where you decide to either go up to the castle or down to the tombs or down to the haunted castle...

ah i know what you mean mate
    have to find some vessel now in lordan or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

before heading back up (go to the big turning wheel and make your way up from here) there is a secret passage down near the second bell, go in here and join the covenant (i forget the name off the top of my head). this will mean when you get the lord vessal you can get down to this area without having the pain of going all the way down again.

when you get back to the firelink, head up the elevator, accross the court yard, and down to the bonfire above the blacksmith. rest here and head into sens fortress, which will now be open.

there is a nice powerful weapon in here for so early in the game which will make things a nice bit easier ! good luck

Advertisement