Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

okay being playing for the weekend so far and all i can say is wow.

true you need a controller - either ps3 with motionjoy software or an xbox 360 and true you need to install the hidef patch (dont forget to modify the resolution in the ini file to match) but the game is so smooth and incredibly pretty. no input lag whatsoever - blighttown didnt even shudder and somehow even with gfwl i was invaded and i invaded as member of the forest covenant.

this is the best version of the game , i have the ps3 version was on ng++ had started a new char ,was 20 hours into him - both abandoned to play this version .
    loving it :)

if ye are having difficulties use the wiki's - they are awesome for this game .
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'm actually considering buying this again on PC, I know if I have it on PC I'll be more likely to continue playing it because I don't have to set up the PS3 each time, so has anywhere got it cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Nevermind, just bought it on GMG for €32 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

2smiggy wrote: »
    Anyone else having an issue with the controller not working?

It just doesn't work in game, hitting the home button brings up the Live menu and it controls that but just nothing registers in game?

I just bought a Xbox controller and it worked same a ps3 controller straight away ?!?

Still not sure what's up with the summoning, went solo sens fortress , not too bad , but no summon signs on the Amir London bridge , a normal hotbed for signs. Can't summon or get summoned ?

I was plugging in the ps3 controller and noticed my onlive dongle was still in. think that was the issue, I used motionjoy anyway and the ps3 one worked. at least it got my ps3 controller working so that's a bonus.

how are people getting on with invasions / summoning .

im not sure if there is an issue for me or not but invasions are very rare - 30 hours in been invaded once - i dont believe i have managed to summon anyone yet .
    however i know that i am able to invade others no issue - i.e as member of forest covenent.

strange one but looking online.
    found the following and when i checked upnp is showing as disabled for me in gfwl settings.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2902926
    will modify and test tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It's always quiet for the first few days when it comes to invasions. I've yet to be invaded but i did summon quite a few and was summoned myself with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

It's always quiet for the first few days when it comes to invasions. I've yet to be invaded but i did summon quite a few and was summoned myself with no problems.

only been invaded once so far, but many people who might have been invading may be getting to the new areas of new content ( the reason most people have bought a copy again )

I am having trouble summoning and being summoned. i'm level 28 i think at anor londo, and seeing hardly any summon signs. Are you forwarding any ports etc ?

I got through myself to the titantite demon, but got greedy trying to kill him instead of opening the big doors !! also my fire keeper in the firelink shire is dead so i will have to fight the three lads in the main hall :( They can be quite tough from what i remember

yeah i dealt with him before i went to blighttown - couldnt be arsed facing him in anor lando -
    its a handy enough fight with him if you can trap him on the stairs.

the joys of coming from the ps3/xbox we know whats coming :D

it actually feels like i am flying through it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What an absolutely epic game.
    I havent put a lot of time in yet as guild wars 2 is the game ive being waiting on for years and as expected is sucking up my gaming time since Saturday but what i did play of Dark Souls suggests its a fantastic game.
    I love the combat, really gritty stuff, im a noob to the game but looking forward to slowly but surely playing through it.

Feck i forgot to free him before i rang the first bell tower, he's not in the cell now. It was the 2 other f'ers with him that drove me around the bend. Well at least i'll have a spare firekeeper soul now to boost the flask.

So the dragon on the bridge, anyone kill him? i killed him on the PS3 and to this day i don't know how. Fecker keeps healing himself now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Read through most of the first 2/3rds of this thread again the other day - very rewarding seeing everyone working the way through the game at their own pace. A valid document of a variety of players' initial experiences with the game :)

Oh, how I wish I could play this 'as new' again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Feck i forgot to free him before i rang the first bell tower, he's not in the cell now. It was the 2 other f'ers with him that drove me around the bend. Well at least i'll have a spare firekeeper soul now to boost the flask.

So the dragon on the bridge, anyone kill him? i killed him on the PS3 and to this day i don't know how. Fecker keeps healing himself now.

there are videos of killing the dragon with a sword :eek: , but i waited till i have the dragon slayer bow, and shot at him from the door where the 3 rats are.

ya the 3 lads together are fairly tough. i also forgot to kill the 2 lads with the fellow (monk ?) that sells the faith spells. So i have them to look forward to as well :(

i was hung over yesterday, so did not bother playing. but i will give it a few hours tonight and get to the new area and see what is going on there. i just have to pass anor londo, the hydra in the dark root basin , and one golem after the boars in dukes archive

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can pick this up for €22.99 on G2Play today. An absolute bargain for anyone interested.

http://www.g2play.net/store/Dark-Souls-Prepare-To-Die-Edition-English-Language-Steam-Key.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Seath the Scaleless betrayer of his own kind!

What a bitch, I was trying to cut his tail to get the magic weapon as I play a sorcerer. I tried loads of times and had his attack pattern down.
    I just couldn't hit the very tip of the tail and after many tries I just got angry and finished him off with my lighting spear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Dcully wrote: »
    What an absolutely epic game.
    I havent put a lot of time in yet as guild wars 2 is the game ive being waiting on for years and as expected is sucking up my gaming time since Saturday but what i did play of Dark Souls suggests its a fantastic game.
    I love the combat, really gritty stuff, im a noob to the game but looking forward to slowly but surely playing through it.

On PC Cully ? Also, did you have to do any of the fixes or mods mentioned in previous posts ?

tuxy wrote: »
    Seath the Scaleless betrayer of his own kind!

What a bitch, I was trying to cut his tail to get the magic weapon as I play a sorcerer. I tried loads of times and had his attack pattern down.
    I just couldn't hit the very tip of the tail and after many tries I just got angry and finished him off with my lighting spear :(

IF you were using the lightning spear on the tail that was your problem, had no problems on the PS3 playthrough, could never get priscilla's though. not looking forward to that level, getting the blue titanite slab on the invisible paths broke my heart the last time.

Word of advice for everyone before doing blighttown, farm those tree dudes in the forest for the moss, forgot about the blow dart guys in blightown.

Yeah I was using the spear. Do you need a cutting weapon? If so how do people use pyromancy to cut the tail off?

Dunno if spear works or doesn't but it's definately easier to chop off tails with swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Is anybody playing it on the PC with a Logitech joy pad? It doesn't seem to want to recognize my one at all...

Very disappointing also couldn't believe how awful it looked when I loaded it up even the menu when your creating your character seems so dated. Would still love to give it a try on the PC. I had actually given up on it after looking at the state of the graphics and the joypad but reading through this thread has sparked my interest again.

Use the resolution fix that I posted earlier to fix the graphics.

use an xbox joypad emulator like xinput to get your pad working

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

SeantheMan wrote: »
    On PC Cully ? Also, did you have to do any of the fixes or mods mentioned in previous posts ?

Yeah PC, and using the high res mod.
    The difference is huge.

Pretty pathetic really that some random guy on neogaf forums can make the game look so well but the devs couldnt or maybe didnt even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

IF you were using the lightning spear on the tail that was your problem, had no problems on the PS3 playthrough, could never get priscilla's though. not looking forward to that level, getting the blue titanite slab on the invisible paths broke my heart the last time.

Word of advice for everyone before doing blighttown, farm those tree dudes in the forest for the moss, forgot about the blow dart guys in blightown.

I think i got summoned into your game in blighttown last night :D But you died before we even made it past the boulder guys!

****ing loving this game all over again. Put in 13 hours since friday, nothing else i bought recently (sleeping dogs, CS:GO, Darksiders 2) has even had a look in.
    So far since friday ive done the undead burg/parish, the depths, valley of drakes, darkroot garden/basin, and last night jsut opened sens fortress. I ****ing LOVE this game so much...alot of it is the atmosphere too. I could hang out in firelink listening to that music all day :D

Just a short video i put together of my exploits over the weekend

2smiggy wrote: »
    there are videos of killing the dragon with a sword :eek: , but i waited till i have the dragon slayer bow, and shot at him from the door where the 3 rats are.

You can kill him relatively pain free with a sword, i did, you jsut aggro him with an arrow, when he drops down you whack him in the teeth with your sword then ****ing dive down the stairs before he flames the place. rinse, repeat.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Have moved back to Dublin and I'm on a slow 3G connection. I can't log into GFWL.

Should I hold off playing the game until the weekend when I have a proper internet access and can play with the online components. Other should I just go ahead and play it in offline mode.

What do you guys recommend?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playable offline, but very enhanced online. Wait IMO, especially if you haven't experienced 'Souls' online before!

I think i got summoned into your game in blighttown last night :D But you died before we even made it past the boulder guys!

Yeah i screwed up big time there, forgot about the poison lake and had sfa moss to heal the poison so was basically island hopping to avoid being poisoned, the only way to do it is get close to the 3 dudes, course i forgot about the mosquitos.

does everyone use a 2hander ? looked at your video Meow , nice editing :)

im using iaito and uchigatana with blood shield -hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Playable offline, but very enhanced online. Wait IMO, especially if you haven't experienced 'Souls' online before!

I've never played this series before as I have been waiting for a PC verison so i'm looking forward to playing this next week.

What is the difference though between offline and online? What makes it so special?

Hard to say because the online side is very different. Online allows for coop, duels with other players and invading another players game. Also online you can leave and read messages, such as amazing chest ahead(love that one) or tough enemy, there's also bloodstains, when you die you leave a bllodstain, someone can click on it and it will show them a ghost of you 5 seconds before you die, sometimes it'll give a hint as to how you died.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

sometimes it'll give a hint as to how you died.

Why would I need a hint on how I died, does the screen go blank before you die or something. Would a hint on how not to die not be more helpful? :D

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »
    Why would I need a hint on how I died, does the screen go blank before you die or something. Would a hint on how not to die not be more helpful? :D

The person viewing your death will get a hint, and vice versa with you if you view their bloodstain.

Favourite was in demons souls, first time getting to the bridge in 1-2, i click on the bloodstain see a ghost run start to dance then fall over and die. Was wondering what the hell it was about so ran ahead, then a dragon popped out of nowhere and roasted me alive, i too did a little dance as i burned.

Advertisement