Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wait a second. Windows life + no 1080p?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The game will not be rendered in anything but 1024x720 but it can be unscaled to all the standard compatible resolutions including 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i am new to PC gaming, if i buy this through steam , is there another client i must download and join in order for the game to work ? GRWL ? a few of ye seem to have negative things to say about GFWL ,what are the issues with it etc..

2smiggy wrote: »
    i am new to PC gaming, if i buy this through steam , is there another client i must download and join in order for the game to work ? GRWL ? a few of ye seem to have negative things to say about GFWL ,what are the issues with it etc..

Right imagine that PC gaming is an amazing T-bone Steak perfectly cooked to your liking, but then instead of plate, you get slab of tiles from your local pub toilet, where drunk fellas are not great with their aiming. that tile is GFWL.

GFWL is a very bad quality service. Microsoft abandoned ages ago and it is still buggy with very poor servers quality. half of the time it cant update, it cant find servers, it cant connect, using it to invite friends to your games is an ass. interface ****y and clunky. basicly everything about it sucks.

Right imagine that PC gaming is an amazing T-bone Steak perfectly cooked to your liking, but then instead of plate, you get slab of tiles from your local pub toilet, where drunk fellas are not great with their aiming. that tile is GFWL.

GFWL is a very bad quality service. Microsoft abandoned ages ago and it is still buggy with very poor servers quality. half of the time it cant update, it cant find servers, it cant connect, using it to invite friends to your games is an ass. interface ****y and clunky. basicly everything about it sucks.

Would you think this will have an effect on the online part of the game (the most important IMO)

Since alot of the new content is PvP , it would be disappointing if the online part was not up to scratch

• Advertisement

Would you think this will have an effect on the online part of the game (the most important IMO)

Since alot of the new content is PvP , it would be disappointing if the online part was not up to scratch

no one can say. it will still be playable ( hopefully ), but i doubt it is going to be perfect. i know a good few people who cannot be arsed with some new good games, just because they dont want to get in to the whole ****y GFWL loop again.

i personally will wait and see on the PC version reviews, because the more i hear about it, the worse news i hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

yep waiting for a review of it , not too pushed about graphic Fidelity or the fact it is a direct port just slightly concerned on how it will work with the mouse.

couple of articles say it is slightly better in blighttown for fps and i firmally(hopefully) believe some modders will take it and stick in higher grade textures :P

either way all i know is that in looking forward to the pc version made me get out my ps3 and start all over again .

16 hours later - soul level 56 and in blighttown getting ready to fight spiderqueen and wondering where the hell the sun outside had gone , to look at the watch and see its 04:30 in the morning :D

love this game and know that if the controls are good i will be getting for the pc just for the expansion .

oct 25th for ps3 / xbox release. i cant wait that long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

know that if the controls are good i will be getting for the pc just for the expansion .

oct 25th for ps3 / xbox release. i cant wait that long :)

How are the controls on the console version? I would hope the PC will have gamepad support (thinking this since it will be just a console port).

Not too worried about the graphics just hope it has a stable framereate. It's one of the games I keep hearing about and something that I want to try.

How are the controls on the console version? I would hope the PC will have gamepad support (thinking this since it will be just a console port).

Not too worried about the graphics just hope it has a stable framereate. It's one of the games I keep hearing about and something that I want to try.

i think they are expecting people to play it with a control pad rather than a keyboard and mouse.

so it's October for the PS3 DLC ? that is not too long to wait, not with some of the other games been released at the moment. i'll make up my mind whether i will buy for the PC during the week.

on another note, if you look up the dark souls for PC on neogaf, it's fairly funny reading the outrage over the frames per sec/ resolution issues. link

yep - in fact controller seems to be recommended way to go with even menus keeping their xbox button icons :)

http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/66031/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition/articles/78054/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-hands-on-preview-hits-hard-but-feels-so-good/

"As caught up as I was in Prepare to Die's new story and features, I almost forgot that most potential PC players are more concerned with the game's optimization--or, they fear, lack thereof--on their preferred platform. That concern is valid; Namco Bandai's Nobu Taguchi told me at E3 this year that Prepare to Die is essentially a "direct port."

But truth be told, the game ran beautifully during my demo, and the machine I was playing on--an HP laptop with a 2.2 i7 processor--wasn't exactly a powerhouse. Even better, Zien assured me that Dark Souls will in fact run "much better" on PC than it does on consoles, promising that the atrocious framerate issues found in problem areas like Blighttown have been corrected.

That's great news, of course, but even if his assessment turns out accurate, PC players will certainly bemoan the new edition's reliance on Games for Windows Live and its lack of UI optimization; the menus remain identical to their console counterparts, and FromSoftware still recommends you play with a controller. I tested out the mouse-and-keyboard controls briefly, and they seem functional, though I quickly switched back to using the Xbox 360 controller."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I almost hope it sells badly on the PC just so FROM can focus effort on consoles in the future.

Quicker DLC etc.

noodler wrote: »
    I almost hope it sells badly on the PC just so FROM can focus effort on consoles in the future.

Quicker DLC etc.

Lovely....

Lovely....

Yeah.

It just seems like there is this year delay between the game and the DLC and every forum is just full of whinging about the PC port at best or promising to pirate it at worst.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Its quite possible that if there was no PC version being made there would be no DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

game is too hard.. had to give up, I play games for enjoyment, but this game is so unforgiving that it was putting me in a bad mood..

Azza wrote: »
    Its quite possible that if there was no PC version being made there would be no DLC.

I guess that is a possibility.

I would be surprised if they don't make more money from the DLC on PS3 and 360 then they do on sales for the PC version of the game though.
    ziggyman17 wrote: »
    game is too hard.. had to give up, I play games for enjoyment, but this game is so unforgiving that it was putting me in a bad mood..

How far in are you?

The game is amazing - if you are having trouble use the wiki or ask us.

I read this on another forum
    LoW FPS FEAtuRE
    To prevent latency issues and frequent disconnections, there is a
    low FPS feature implemented where if your FPS drops below 15
    for 30 seconds, your game will automatically be disconnected
    from the online session and will return to the title screen. To avoid
    this, please refer to the minimum/recommended specifi cations
    to have a better confi guration

Apparently this is a quote from the game manual.
    Does anyone think this is true? If it was then blighttown might only be playable off line for many people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

tuxy wrote: »
    I read this on another forum

Apparently this is a quote from the game manual.
    Does anyone think this is true? If it was then blighttown might only be playable off line for many people.

happened with me once throughout my entire gameplay
    on the 360
    disconnected me went to a loading menu then brought me back to were i was but i was offline
    just went to a bonfire , quit game then loaded my save again

happened to me not in blighttown
    in the forest area
    were their is a big open area
    and a sorcorcer and 2 knights came at me

what are the advantages of this? It sounds like it kicks you off online play to avoid losing connection to online play.

a bit more info on the PC version, an interview with one of the creators of Dark Souls . more teleport to and from different bonfires ?? would make moving around a bit easier, too easy perhaps.

linky

• Advertisement

a bit more info on the PC version, an interview with one of the creators of Dark Souls . more teleport to and from different bonfires ?? would make moving around a bit easier, too easy perhaps.

linky

anyone tell me what build im going for?
    been playing this game for nearly a month , having finished it yet keep finding more and more places to go to ( well worth the money payed for )

anyway this is my first character
    i started my second going for a pyromancer but at the moment i havnt a clue about my current character

he has
    30 health ( cant remember name )
    45 str
    20 dex
    and 20 stamina or weight load what ever you prefer

anyone tell me whats the difference between str and dex? i havnt found any weopens needing high dex only high str is needed so i dont see the point in upgrading my dex

also theirs a weopon i have
    it says grade : A 52 str 20 dex ( or 18 dex )
    so when i get 52 str and 20 dex can i weild this? because at the moment i cant weild a certain weopen which is within my str lvl and my dex lvl?

also why cant i apply lightining resin to my black knights halbeit? any other normal weopen i can but not that?

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

it all depends on the type of character you want to build m8 , two links above are all you need for darksouls info - from character builds to weapon upgrade paths and such.

str :
    Strength controls the player's Attack Power for weapons that scale with Strength. Strength does NOT affect your weapon swing speed as shown in this video.
    Some weapons require a minimum strength level to be wielded properly.
    If you do not meet the minimum strength required, you will stagger after every attack action of the weapon.
    Two-handing the weapon will give a 50% strength bonus, affecting both the weapon requirements and damage modifier.
    Strength is especially useful for Ultra Greatswords, Axes and Great Axes, Hammers and Great Hammers.

dex:
    Dexterity controls the player's Attack Power for weapons that scale with Dexterity and increases casting speed for most spells.
    Some weapons require a minimum dexterity level to be wielded properly.
    If you do not meet the minimum dexterity required, you will stagger after every hit on an opponent.
    The speed of spell casting increases with dexterity, max speed at 45 dex.
    Dexterity is especially useful for Daggers, Katanas, Thrusting/Piercing Swords, Curved Swords, Spears, Whips and Bows

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

it all depends on the type of character you want to build m8 , two links above are all you need for darksouls info - from character builds to weapon upgrade paths and such.

str :
    Strength controls the player's Attack Power for weapons that scale with Strength. Strength does NOT affect your weapon swing speed as shown in this video.
    Some weapons require a minimum strength level to be wielded properly.
    If you do not meet the minimum strength required, you will stagger after every attack action of the weapon.
    Two-handing the weapon will give a 50% strength bonus, affecting both the weapon requirements and damage modifier.
    Strength is especially useful for Ultra Greatswords, Axes and Great Axes, Hammers and Great Hammers.

dex:
    Dexterity controls the player's Attack Power for weapons that scale with Dexterity and increases casting speed for most spells.
    Some weapons require a minimum dexterity level to be wielded properly.
    If you do not meet the minimum dexterity required, you will stagger after every hit on an opponent.
    The speed of spell casting increases with dexterity, max speed at 45 dex.
    Dexterity is especially useful for Daggers, Katanas, Thrusting/Piercing Swords, Curved Swords, Spears, Whips and Bows

so str is basicly for power like high hitting
    but dex is more like recover from speed?

no wonder wonder i always use spears ( well halbeits what ever their callled) and my character takes to long to swing it, i have well over the requirements for my current weopen which is the black knight halbeit but it lacks speed? but the damage is very high

saiint wrote: »
    anyone tell me what build im going for?
    been playing this game for nearly a month , having finished it yet keep finding more and more places to go to ( well worth the money payed for )

anyway this is my first character
    i started my second going for a pyromancer but at the moment i havnt a clue about my current character

he has
    30 health ( cant remember name )
    45 str
    20 dex
    and 20 stamina or weight load what ever you prefer

anyone tell me whats the difference between str and dex? i havnt found any weopens needing high dex only high str is needed so i dont see the point in upgrading my dex

also theirs a weopon i have
    it says grade : A 52 str 20 dex ( or 18 dex )
    so when i get 52 str and 20 dex can i weild this? because at the moment i cant weild a certain weopen which is within my str lvl and my dex lvl?

also why cant i apply lightining resin to my black knights halbeit? any other normal weopen i can but not that?

Just read up the wikis linked in previous post.

Different weapons need minimum stats to use correctly. Some need faith and other attributes as well.

There is also scaling on the weapons, this is extra damage the weapon deals depending on what it scales with.
    for example if a weapon Scales A with strength , the higher your strength is up to level 50 , the more damage the weapon deals. If a weapon has a S rating, it scales to level 65. ratings go from lowest to highest E D C B A S

As for applying lightning (or fire or raw or occult ........) or the other attack values to your weapon you will have to look up the weapons chart to see what it can do

for you black knight halberd look here link

there is not much you can do with this weapon, just upgrade it to +5 with twinkling titanite. (which you can now thankfully buy, pre patch you had to farm this)

you should have a spear or the estroc by now , these are handy especially for new players as they allow you to keep your shield up when striking.

recommend taking a winged spear to +5 and then when you find the upgrade stones add a magical property - fire is good as you get the lightning spear later in sens fortress.

but thats just me :)

did you get the drake sword ? tis handy as well up until about soul level 50.

and shir once you are 50 you can farm the for souls in the forest area.using the crest of artrios.

you should have a spear or the estroc by now , these are handy especially for new players as they allow you to keep your shield up when striking.

recommend taking a winged spear to +5 and then when you find the upgrade stones add a magical property - fire is good as you get the lightning spear later in sens fortress.

but thats just me :)

did you get the drake sword ? tis handy as well up until about soul level 50.

and shir once you are 50 you can farm the for souls in the forest area.using the crest of artrios.

im lvl 77 or something
    wouldnt be to much into farming been honest haha i need to get a guide book for this game
    to much info in it

here's some footage of dark souls being played with mouse and keyboard on the new arena mode.
    It was just recorded on crappy phone camera so it's hard to tell be I think the game looks good.

Also dark souls is the second best seller on steam after cs:go
    Do you guys think from software will be happy?

tuxy wrote: »
    here's some footage of dark souls being played with mouse and keyboard on the new arena mode.
    It was just recorded on crappy phone camera so it's hard to tell be I think the game looks good.

Also dark souls is the second best seller on steam after cs:go
    Do you guys think from software will be happy?

cant watch it in work haha
    think il get it for pc as well though :)

alright guys ive finally managed to beat 3 out of 4 of the bosses for the lord vessel

the last being the four kings ( the other 3 bosses being pretty easy to be honest ) was just getting to them that was the hard part

now i know where the four kings are
    their in anor lando ruins , where the ghosts are
    i got the key of that person
    i made the water sink by opening a dam of some sort
    now i cant get past those poxy knight things
    i can kill 1 or 2 on their own
    but if they catch me by surprize im fu*ked
    specialy those big blob things their prett hard as well

can anyone tell me the weakness for them cat knights? i cant check wiki atm cause its blocked on my computer in work
    also am i going the right way ? haha

when going past the ghosts, there is a ladder you can kick down. now when you meet the first few ghosts you can run past them , and slide or jump (i forget ) to where you kicked down the ladder. this is a short-cut.

after climbing the ladder run across the ledge where ghosts come from above and underneath. you will go down some steps where you can turn right into one of the towers, just run straight on and jump down. this is where you meet the dark wraiths knights.

just take out the dark wraiths one at a time. you can fight them like this. take your time. they are easy to back stab. the big blobs don't respawn.

there is a slab to reinforce weapons to +15 in this area if you explore it. it is up some stair (you will have to look it up) also red eye orbs , if you want to do some invading.

• Advertisement

when going past the ghosts, there is a ladder you can kick down. now when you meet the first few ghosts you can run past them , and slide or jump (i forget ) to where you kicked down the ladder. this is a short-cut.

after climbing the ladder run across the ledge where ghosts come from above and underneath. you will go down some steps where you can turn right into one of the towers, just run straight on and jump down. this is where you meet the dark wraiths knights.

just take out the dark wraiths one at a time. you can fight them like this. take your time. they are easy to back stab. the big blobs don't respawn.

there is a slab to reinforce weapons to +15 in this area if you explore it. it is up some stair (you will have to look it up) also red eye orbs , if you want to do some invading.

thanks man
    im already at the dark wraith knights though
    took out one blob, but theirs another ahead
    il get through eh eventually
    and i thought the tomb of the giants was hard haha

Advertisement