Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads. How about mouse and keyboard control on this one? The way console version worked with lock in system i can't see it being very comfortable. So any opinions on pc controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,280 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Lads. How about mouse and keyboard control on this one? The way console version worked with lock in system i can't see it being very comfortable. So any opinions on pc controls?

I tried them for a few minutes , just for fun. I could not really use them as so used to the controller playing this game. did not feel right. i am using an xbox controller on the PC , even that is taking getting used to compared to the PS3 one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone remotely interested in this and worried about it being a bad port etc, dont worry.
    I have it running on my own high spec rig and my sons 5 year old rig, both are locked to the games 30fps,while 30 fps is insanely low compared to what pc users are used to it isnt noticeable simply because its a slow paced game.

@shadowhearth, i havent tried kb&mouse yet ,ive been using my 360 pad with darksiders recently so i just used it also for Dark Souls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm going to buy this today. Was going to wait a while after GW2, but its been too long since i've played it and from the sounds of things, it as good as the console version which is fine by me. Will definitely be using the 360 pad though, as the thought of using a mouse and kb for this is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The resolution fix is (k)night and day. Really makes the game look absolutely gorgeous

Yz2Te.jpg

Cant wait to get back into this game. Oh and shadowhearth, no, kb&m controls are almost unplayable. Its pretty much pad or nothing at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got emailed a steam code
    but my internet has been pretty much down for the last four days so can't download it. good old digital gaming oh how I hate you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got emailed a steam code
    but my internet has been pretty much down for the last four days so can't download it. good old digital gaming oh how I hate you.

I just got my code, and will start downloading it once i get home. Should have it by around 8pm. Good old digital gaming oh how I love you :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,060 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

tok9 wrote: »
    There is no circumstance where the above is true.

Just reading about the PC gamers getting it is making me want to play it again.

A brilliant game. Don't miss out.

I've played the PS3 version and you're almost right. My laptop falls short of the minimum requirements. I just want to play the extra content and maybe try a new magic build.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Kiith wrote: »
    I just got my code, and will start downloading it once i get home. Should have it by around 8pm. Good old digital gaming oh how I love you :D

Dam you and your working internet:D, think i might head out Californi way heard they got themselves a whole mess of internet out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

The resolution fix is (k)night and day. Really makes the game look absolutely gorgeous

Cant wait to get back into this game. Oh and shadowhearth, no, kb&m controls are almost unplayable. Its pretty much pad or nothing at all

Wow, that's some difference! Shame about the controls though. Going to give it a bash this evening but I only have a wireless 360 pad :(

• Advertisement

tried the resolution fix, it looks way better !! Currently in blighttown :( , and its running very smoothly indeed :D !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Wow, that's some difference! Shame about the controls though. Going to give it a bash this evening but I only have a wireless 360 pad :(

I thought that would be a very good thing?? It's a great pad for PC gaming.

After hearing on this thread regarding kb&m, it's my intention to play this with a wireless 360 pad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I thought that would be a very good thing?? It's a great pad for PC gaming.

After hearing on this thread regarding kb&m, it's my intention to play this with a wireless 360 pad!
    Only if you have a wireless adaptor for the PC. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    Only if you have a wireless adaptor for the PC. :)

This. I don't have one. And it would cost the same to just buy a wired pad.

EDIT: My god the kb & mouse controls are AWFUL. It's not an exaggeration to say that it's completely unplayable without a gamepad. Can't find the A & B buttons on my keyboard anywhere...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

buy a charger battery pack
    cheap one for 12e in gamestop
    then wallaaaahhhh you can use it for the pc :D

saiint wrote: »
    buy a charger battery pack
    cheap one for 12e in gamestop
    then wallaaaahhhh you can use it for the pc :D

That doesn't work, I have one. The usb cable only transmits power, not data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

That 720p shot is terrible and not how it looks on the PS3. If that is how the PC version actually looks then its not identical to the PS3 and is considerably worse. The 1080p is how it looks on my PS3 but its hard to tell without a side by side video comparison.

2smiggy wrote: »
    tried the resolution fix, it looks way better !! Currently in blighttown :( , and its running very smoothly indeed :D !!

There are no FPS drops in blighttown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

That doesn't work, I have one. The usb cable only transmits power, not data.

works for me lol
    i got something appearing saying intalling new device
    now its working ha

saiint wrote: »
    works for me lol
    i got something appearing saying intalling new device
    now its working ha

Yea it registers it as a play & charge controller. The data lines are nulled for windows.

Have you actually tried using the controller in game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-pc-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-xbox-360-controller-white-grey-129240?item=34

It's not an official adapter but I have had no issues using my wireless controller with it.

• Advertisement

That 720p shot is terrible and not how it looks on the PS3. If that is how the PC version actually looks then its not identical to the PS3 and is considerably worse. The 1080p is how it looks on my PS3 but its hard to tell without a side by side video comparison.

There are no FPS drops in blighttown?

I am at the bonfire at the bottom of blightown , and no drops at all I'm pleased to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm mainly a PC gamer, but it would be really difficult to imagine playing Dark Souls with a mouse & keyboard.

Meanwhile on the PS3, another boss down.. that should be just three left and then I've done absolutely everything. Except New game +, of course. :)

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'm mainly a PC gamer, but it would be really difficult to imagine playing Dark Souls with a mouse & keyboard.

Meanwhile on the PS3, another boss down.. that should be just three left and then I've done absolutely everything. Except New game +, of course. :)

who do you have left ?

it's strange starting the game again and being so underpowered, i miss my black knight great axe

the summon / get summoned in the game seems seriously broken. i have opened the recommended ports, maybe others have not. yet still getting summoned failed 95% of the time, and have not yet got summoned !!

Anyone else having an issue with the controller not working?

It just doesn't work in game, hitting the home button brings up the Live menu and it controls that but just nothing registers in game?

Anyone else having an issue with the controller not working?

It just doesn't work in game, hitting the home button brings up the Live menu and it controls that but just nothing registers in game?

I just bought a Xbox controller and it worked same a ps3 controller straight away ?!?

Still not sure what's up with the summoning, went solo sens fortress , not too bad , but no summon signs on the Amir London bridge , a normal hotbed for signs. Can't summon or get summoned ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played a good bit lastnight,seriously what a game!
    Now i understand all the fuss, im still pretty poor and learning when to attempt to block,dodge etc.
    Its painful when you take your time picking off enemies on your way to a boss only to have to kill them all again after you die and ress at a bonfire.
    Id like to work out myself how to down a boss,id rather not use guides or watch videos but it takes so long getting back to a boss only to fail again lol.
    I guess its welcome to Dark Souls for me ;)
    However it has to take a back seat for now, Guild Wars 2 today!

Dcully wrote: »
    Played a good bit lastnight,seriously what a game!
    Now i understand all the fuss, im still pretty poor and learning when to attempt to block,dodge etc.
    Its painful when you take your time picking off enemies on your way to a boss only to have to kill them all again after you die and ress at a bonfire.
    Id like to work out myself how to down a boss,id rather not use guides or watch videos but it takes so long getting back to a boss only to fail again lol.
    I guess its welcome to Dark Souls for me ;)
    However it has to take a back seat for now, Guild Wars 2 today!

you can get to most bosses in a few minutes , you will see that you can sprint past alot of stuff when you have collected the goodies before hand.

some areas can be a a pain though (the depths/blightown i'm looking at you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

some areas can be a a pain though (the depths/blightown i'm looking at you)

I flew through those areas this time, it makes a big difference to have a stable frame rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

version 0.4 of the resolution fix is out
    http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=114
    It looks really good now!

Advertisement