Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Just finished this the other day for the first time. Unfortunately because of the whole ulster bank thing I wasn't able to get xbox live so had to play the whole game offline. I'll wait till I can get live and then start NG+.

I didn't really find Gwyn that bad. He's annoyingly fast though so even using an estus flask was risky business, but he's manageable. I definitely wouldn't call it the cheapest part of the game.

Especially when you consider these guys.

silver_knight_archers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I thought they were Silver Knights in that god awful part!?

Just finished Dark Souls for the first time, I've honestly never felt such a sense of accomplishment from a game in my life.

WANT MOAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i found my self dying less and less on them knight archers. really just have to get to the top and turn right as quickly as possible, as soon as he pulls out his sword its easy enough.

Start NG+ !! even better 2nd time around in my opinion. head straight for sif , then the abyss , and join the dark wraights !! have some fun invading

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

2smiggy wrote: »
    i found my self dying less and less on them knight archers. really just have to get to the top and turn right as quickly as possible, as soon as he pulls out his sword its easy enough.

Start NG+ !! even better 2nd time around in my opinion. head straight for sif , then the abyss , and join the dark wraights !! have some fun invading

Couldn't agree more about the archers.

First playthrough I was going mad, on second and third - I had a straight run without any bother.

I hope next DS game has just a little more focus on story.

I love the way the game doesn't hold your hand and you read as much (or as little) into the other NPCs and their backstories as you want - but I would love just a teeny bit more motivation for the journey.

• Advertisement

look up epicnamebro on youtube. he has loads of videos on his interpretation of the story and lore, also his take on what to expect with the new extra content coming.

he also has fairly comprehensive guides on the game in general. He put some serious time and effort into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

noodler wrote: »
    I hope next DS game has just a little more focus on story.

I love the way the game doesn't hold your hand and you read as much (or as little) into the other NPCs and their backstories as you want - but I would love just a teeny bit more motivation for the journey.

Nah, the journey itself is the motivation.

I'm really enjoying the brevity of the story as 99 times out of 100 it's either totally naff or the characterisation and action is well wide of the mark. In fact it's usually both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just had a pop window from steam telling me I can pre order for €40. I really want to but am a bit worried about the quality of the port. :(

tuxy wrote: »
    Just had a pop window from steam telling me I can pre order for €40. I really want to but am a bit worried about the quality of the port. :(

Whats the worry?

They have already said they won't be adding to the performance in the Console version...but the console version looks great and plays great bar one section so.....

noodler wrote: »
    Whats the worry?

They have already said they won't be adding to the performance in the Console version...but the console version looks great and plays great bar one section so.....

So the performance will be exactly on par with the console once you have the minimum requirements to play? A 690 gtx will run the same as a 8800 GT for example?

Also what do you think of them confirming it will use games for windows live?
    I have had trouble using that service in the past.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    So the performance will be exactly on par with the console once you have the minimum requirements to play? A 690 gtx will run the same as a 8800 GT for example?

Also what do you think of them confirming it will use games for windows live?
    I have had trouble using that service in the past.

I don't care to be honest (about the delivery system chosen).

Played it on the console and it was one of the best games I have played so there will be no issues if it is as good as that.

They haven't released minimum specs yet to the best of my knowledge.

They have, it's listed on steam. I don't care about the delivery system either. Games for windows live is used to connect multilayer games. A bit like xbox live only very unreliable.

The required specs are fairly low but (still much higher than console hardware).
    So if it's console perfect on a low spec pc but they have warned there may be problems with it running well on a high spec pc. It just does not add up and that's why I'm reluctant to pre order.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Just placed the Lordvessel and realised I shouldn't have eaten the soul of sif. Disproportionately annoyed about that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Just placed the Lordvessel and realised I shouldn't have eaten the soul of sif. Disproportionately annoyed about that :(

Ah nuts. Although it won't much of a difference unless you were looking to 100% finish the game anyways. Well done for getting this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Finished it a while ago now... odd how I still fancy playing it reading all these comments... shame that within 30 minutes of finishing it, I had traded it in... simply to get it away from me and stop ruining my marriage / life...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Yeah I don't think I've ever been so quick to start a NG+ in a game. Finally got xbox live so I'm having good fun as a Blade of the Darkmoon. Although the lag in PvP gets very annoying, being dragged 5 metres away from where you are to be backstabbed just makes it seems pointless.

Trying to get to the darkwraiths at the moment, but my god am I hating the At Least Four Kings of New Londo.

Yeah I don't think I've ever been so quick to start a NG+ in a game. Finally got xbox live so I'm having good fun as a Blade of the Darkmoon. Although the lag in PvP gets very annoying, being dragged 5 metres away from where you are to be backstabbed just makes it seems pointless.

Trying to get to the darkwraiths at the moment, but my god am I hating the At Least Four Kings of New Londo.

Hated that fight myself. So much luck involved.

Check out Youtube would be my advice. Load up on armour and leave your shield on your back and just run right up to him and:

1) Two hand him

2) Sidestep away

3) Two hand him

etc and just hope he never manages a sucessful one-hot kill grab.

Iron flesh might be an idea as well. but then the walk up to him is a slog.

anyone going to buy this for the PC ? just bought myself a shinny new PC , but wondering if its worth paying for again. bonus is get the new content straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

anyone going to buy this for the PC ? just bought myself a shinny new PC , but wondering if its worth paying for again. bonus is get the new content straight away

I will be lying if i said it wasnt tempting, especially for 40 quid. But word on the street (interwebz) is that its very badly optimized for the PC and even if you have a cutting edge rig it wont look much better than the PS3/Xbox version. Blighttown lag included. That being said the game still looks great on PS3 and would deffo get it on PC even if it was a bad port if i didnt have the PS3 version already.

Gonna wait for reviews for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

It's temping alright but as YSML said rumours say it's a straight port with limited video options.

Also I have just bought a rake of games in the steam sale so I will probably just wait for the DLC on the PS3 and play it on that, it's going to be neglected for awhile!! :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, I would have no desire to double dip even it was an improvement I have to say.

Spent enough time on the game.

Can't wait for a whole new group of players on this thread going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18940/

Ornstein style armor for anyone interested, look pretty bad ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've never played it before, so will prob buy it as most people seem to like it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't have it on the PS3 anymore, so i'll probably buy it as well. Not on release though, as GW2 will take up all my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

its coming on steam. i never finished it on ps3, so i might go for pc version again. aint that coming out very soon?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

its coming on steam. i never finished it on ps3, so i might go for pc version again. aint that coming out very soon?

24th of August. You can get it for less then €40 as well.

http://www.dlcompare.com/games/cd-key-download-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-352

I'm still confused by the fact that the system requirements are very low. But a high spec pc is expected to still have frame rate issues. :(

Also it uses games for windows live so you will have trouble playing online.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

To clarify what they have been saying about the PC port.

The company lacks experience developing PC games and found development of the PC version quite tough.

No specific PC optimization where made and frame rate problems that where in the console version will persist in the PC version. It should be noted the only area of significant slow down on the console was in 1 area (Blightown) the console versions ran fine otherwise.

The severity of the frame rate issue on PC will depend on user hardware. Powerful PC users will notice less slow down in that area. While they admit its not as good as a PC game could be, it will still be better than on consoles.

The additional content was developed as compensation for not being able to optimize the PC version (fix the frame rate issue, or improve the graphics).

Its not yet clear if the game is locked at 30FPS.
    Textures remain the same as console (designed with 720p in mind).
    Resolutions go up to at least 1080p.
    Minimum graphics tweaking settings (Fullscreen and windowed mode)
    There is an anti aliasing option (one setting only on or off).
    Keyboard and mouse support confirmed. Keys are customizable.
    Gamepad support.
    It uses Games For Windows Live.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Rock Paper Shotgun have done a preview of the build.

They where highly critical of the port but glowing in there praise of the game.

The main complaint about the port was GFWL was being used and the previewer has a really strong dislike of the system. He mentioned nothing particular about it here just its very presence annoyed him.

Frame rate issues did exist which is puzzling as the game doesn't look that taxing (still looks great), some area's where noticeable slower than others but the frame rate dips where not as extreme as they where on console.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/09/hands-on-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition/#more-119215

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »
    The additional content was developed as compensation for not being able to optimize the PC version (fix the frame rate issue, or improve the graphics).

Good info but do you think that content was developed for that reason or because they wanted some dlc to offer for consoles?

Advertisement