Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

krudler wrote: »
    is SL1 just upgrading weapons and armour but not levelling up?

yes

the pyro is important, to upgrade to +15 , and picking weapons you can 2 hand properly due to you lack of strength

never tried it myself, doubt i would have the patience !!

I have 1 character left who i did the bottomless box glitch for so that one would have a good choice of upgraded weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

OdgeXD wrote: »
    O&S are simple at SL1, especially on a co-op playthrough. Assuming you have your Pyro fully upgraded, which you should at that point.

I'v defeated them before as an SL2, but you just never know how things actually pan out with O&S, especially considering they will have +50% HP.
    Krudler wrote:
    is SL1 just upgrading weapons and armour but not levelling up?

Yep exactly. Some people do these runs with extra difficulty like No Pyromancies, restricted to one weapon etc. You're already restricted to a certain amount of weapons anyway because of the stats as an SL1.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'v defeated them before as an SL2, but you just never know how things actually pan out with O&S, especially considering they will have +50% HP.

Yep exactly. Some people do these runs with extra difficulty like No Pyromancies, restricted to one weapon etc. You're already restricted to a certain amount of weapons anyway because of the stats as an SL1.

There's some crazy challenges people set themselves alright, one shotting every boss, using only a shield the entire way through etc. Crazy mofos

There's some crazy challenges people set themselves alright, one shotting every boss, using only a shield the entire way through etc. Crazy mofos

Definitely, it's mad seeing people do over 2k damage as an SL1 by utilising all different mechanics of the game. After this Co-op playthrough I might try a Cestus Only SL1 Playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'll never attempt a SL1 run. I think you need a certain temperament to put yourself through that. I certainly don't have the required temperament:pac:

How about if people post their builds here so we can compare, contrast and criticise them?:pac: Here's one I normally use for PvP. I don't always use that equipment though. I like to chop and change with this build and try out different weapon/armor combos.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=266601429162563614

• Advertisement

Definitely, it's mad seeing people do over 2k damage as an SL1 by utilising all different mechanics of the game. After this Co-op playthrough I might try a Cestus Only SL1 Playthrough.

The boss one shot challenge is cool, the guy doing it comes really close to one hitting Kalameet with a jumping attack off the waterfall, looks badass.

Actually speaking of Kalameet, I'm level 83 and finding it really hard to summon anyone to help against him, am I too high for the area? surely people would be around 10 levels of me. I've dropped my summon sign in front of Artorias' area and been called to fight either him or Kalameet so obviously there are people milling around the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Dark Souls Design works arrived yesterday.. its very very nice. Got it for 20 quid of the book depository and its gone up an extra 7 quid :o
    looking forward to the interview at the back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

heres my build for pvp

Stats:
    Vitality: 47
    Attunement 19 (5 Slots)
    Endurance 40 (to be able to use Equipment Setup below, Ninja-Roll and have max stamina)
    Strength 16 (to be able to use Enchanted Claymore +5)
    Dexterity 11 (Base)
    Resistance 8 (Base)
    Intelligence 50
    Faith 8 (Base)

Right Hand 1:
    Enchanted Claymore +5

Right Hand 2:
    Logan's Catalyst/Tin Crystallization Catalyst (the latter being for PvP)

Left Hand 1:
    Silver Knight Shield +5 or Grass Crest Shield (the latter if you're gonna two-hand the Enchanted Claymore +5 )

Left Hand 2:
    Parrying Dagger/whatever you want/nothing.

Armor:
    Full Paladin Set +5 (same defense as Full Havel, lightweight and cool looking).

Alternate, more lightweight Armor:
    Xanthous +5

Rings:
    Dark Wood Grain Ring
    Ring of Favor and Protection

Attunement Slots:
    Crystal Soul Spear = 1
    Crystal Homing Soulmass = 1
    Crystal Magic Weapon/Shield = 1
    White Dragon Breath = 1
    Chameleon or any other Spell from Dusk of Oolacile (i use Chameleon just for fun) = 1
    =

As the name (Mystic Knight) suggests, this Build is a Knight/Sorcerer hybrid. The Sorceries are merely a backup. The good part is the Enchanted Claymore+5.

You ask why I went with a 50-Int Build and Enchanted Claymore +5 instead of with a Vit/End Build and a Lightning/Fire/Chaos Claymore?
    Because the next Patch will (has been confirmed) improve Stat Scaling (which for Enchanted Claymore +5 is E/E/A/-, so it's gonna get stronger), and PROBABLY going to nerf Elemental Weapons too, so Enchanted/Occult +5 Weapons with 50 Int/Fai will outdamage fully-leveled Elemental Weapons. So I just wanted to be safe. And this build isn't too different than the other Build (Vit/End) i earlier mentioned, as this one still has 46 Vitality and 40 Endurance, which is alot for a Mage-type Character.

A +15 Claymore with Crystal Magic Weapon will outdamage an Enchanted +5 Claymore, but i prefer the latter, because i don't want to have to cast CMW every minute to make the weapon strong. You can have both however, but keep in mind there is only one Claymore per Playthrough.

The 2 Rings are just enough to make you Ninja-Roll with this awesome (IMO) Equipment Setup and have a lot of Stamina and HP, but for PvP if you want to use Hornet Ring instead of Ring of Favor and Protection, for example, you can put more points into Endurance at the expense of less in other Stats (Vitality and Attunement for example) or you can change the Equipment Setup a bit. It's all up to you, this is just a Template. For example, if you want to wear Silver Knight Shield +5 in Left Hand 1, Grass Crest Shield in Left Hand 2 and switch between them mid-battle, you can put 42 points into Endurance, at the expense of 44 in Vitality or 16 in Attunement (16 in Attunement is the minimum for 4 Slots, so in this case you have 1 free Point) or equip the Xanthous Glove +5. You can also put 1 more point into Dexterity and use an Enchanted Short Bow +5.

Its not my personal build , its from the wiki website but I use it myself, find it a great build to be honest :P alot of fun too be had with it haha

(complete copy and paste job)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, Does Dark Souls still got Herpes Games for windows or is it patched out already?

Guys, Does Dark Souls still got Herpes Games for windows or is it patched out already?

Still has it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

The boss one shot challenge is cool, the guy doing it comes really close to one hitting Kalameet with a jumping attack off the waterfall, looks badass.

Actually speaking of Kalameet, I'm level 83 and finding it really hard to summon anyone to help against him, am I too high for the area? surely people would be around 10 levels of me. I've dropped my summon sign in front of Artorias' area and been called to fight either him or Kalameet so obviously there are people milling around the area

I'm level 93 on PS3. if i can be of help let me know

weiland79 wrote: »
    I'm level 93 on PS3. if i can be of help let me know

Got him :D obsidian sword and all

Is there any advantage to giving more than 1 sunlight medal to the covenant

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

My Sorcerer build:

45 Int, Manus/Logan Catalyst, Persuers, Dark Bead.
    Crown Of Dusk, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring.
    Sage armour just because.

I feel awful everytime I bash it out.

Off the top of my head my current build is 40 dex, 36 end, 30 something vit, 11 int (needed Cast Light) 18 strength, default everything else. +15 Balder and +15 Uchi, Havels ring, Cloranthy ring, Grass shield +3, rolly rolly stabby stabby. Keep armor light so usually cloaks or stuff like Chester's coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Can get standard game for about €5 on games for gold on xbox at the moment if anyone is on the fence about getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Is there any advantage to giving more than 1 sunlight medal to the covenant

If you keep giving them you eventually get a Lightning Spear miricle, I've never had high enough faith to try it out but its supposedly really powerful

My favourite build is something like..
    40 END
    35 VIT
    40 DEX
    20 STR
    18 ATT
    18 INT

Main armour is Silver Knight Helmet, Ornsteins Armour and Xanthous Gloves and Waistcloth. A mix of style and practicality, it looks great, has good defence and poise and with Havel's Ring it keeps me under 25%. Shield either Silver Knight or Grass Crest

Main weapon is a +15 Iaito, backed up with a +5 Lightning Halberd, +15 Black Bow of Pharis and a fully upgraded ascended pyromancy flame

Spent about 160 hours on that build alone :o

It's mad how quick you can do builds on new playthrough, my first play of the game clocked in at over 60 hrs, and I barely summoned or got summoned for that. my current one am at 25 hours and level 87, spent ages dicking around Anor Londo letting myself be invaded and summoned and kept fighting bosses to level up.
    Sure I only did The Depths earlier lol have 3 out of the 4 lord souls at this stage. Battered that vagina dragon down there in a few hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

2smiggy wrote: »
    the pyro is important, to upgrade to +15 , and picking weapons you can 2 hand properly due to you lack of strength

never tried it myself, doubt i would have the patience !!

Upgrade your Pyro to +15, then Ascend it, and then upgrade to +5 Ascended Pyro.
    You should try SL1, you might surprise yourself with how far you get.

SL1 isn't nearly as daunting as it sounds, since you'll be using fully upgraded weapons and pyromancy your damage output will be huge before too long. Just try not to get hit by anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

sl1 four kings is beyond tough imo. O+S were a bastard too. Never did finish that playthrough :'(

Four Kings is the worst part of the run by a long way. D:

Four Kings is the worst part of the run by a long way. D:

How come? because you need to get in close to them? There's a few bosses I'd say are nightmarish not being able to take more than 1-2 hits. or places like Blightown or Lost Izalith trying to make it across poison or flame areas, no thanks.

They just hit hard and can kill you really fast, need to kill them fast and not get hit basically. I just skipped those areas in my SL1 :P

They just hit hard and can kill you really fast, need to kill them fast and not get hit basically. I just skipped those areas in my SL1 :P

I never knew you could get across the lava without killing the ceaseless discharge first, there's some rocks across the waterfall you can use with some rolling action.

I never knew you could get across the lava without killing the ceaseless discharge first, there's some rocks across the waterfall you can use with some rolling action.

Yeah you can but it's only really necessary for speedrunning. I couldn't do it, would rage too much trying and failing to learn the proper path

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sens Fortress is just class. Tough but do-able. Worred about Siggy though. I tried to talk to him a few more times but it's like as if it's not registering that I press X. When I talked to him outside, he said hhhmmmm. but in the fortress, it says press x to talk. I press x but the 'press x to talk message just stays there. Hope it still moves on his story.

Anyway, I was killed by the very cool mimic chest demon. I went back down looking for him but he is gone. I read he has a cool lighting spear. Anyone know if he changes location when you die?

Had one go at the iron golem, gonna try again later. Finding out how the boulders drop down the hole was a nice touch as well. Didn't realise you could make your way over there til I went through a doorway and got pulverised by
    the giant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there are several mimic chests later in the game, although i didnt realise they dissapeared after you died

Gwyn is giving me a right pain in my hoop. Any tips lads or if anyone wants to jump in i'm SL95 on PS3. I've been waiting around for a summon sign for ages It's obviously not a busy area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Gwyn is giving me a right pain in my hoop. Any tips lads or if anyone wants to jump in i'm SL95 on PS3. I've been waiting around for a summon sign for ages It's obviously not a busy area

jump back when he jumps at you, then parry his next attack swap to 2hder and riposte.

Advertisement