Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose Your Own Adventure - DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I reserve the Right to make an option "Seemingly Safe" but then to have it lead you into certain Death MWAHAHAHAHA <cough> WahhahahaAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

is it ok for me to write the next chapter or does someone have dibs?

Writer Order:
    1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. ChaseThisLight

5. SmileyPaul
    6. Next Person????
    7. And so on til we loop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

We're going to reorg the writing order a bit as ChaseThisLight had some issues come up.

SmileyPaul you ok w/ taking the next post? Short notice, I know, but I'm sure yer more than capable. :D If ya can't just let us know and I'll jump in on it.

Onward and upward...

Revised order:

Writer Order:
    1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. TBA
    6. TBA

comin right up

• Advertisement

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    comin right up

Wicked. Thank ya kindly!

My apologies if it's not what you're all looking for, I only read 1 CYOA book as a child so I didn't really know whether or not I was hitting the right buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

i like that you added in the inventory at the end. otherwise people would be scrolling up and down the thread wondering where you got a certain item from later in the story.

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    My apologies if it's not what you're all looking for, I only read 1 CYOA book as a child so I didn't really know whether or not I was hitting the right buttons

Nah it's grand Smiley - nice work man!!

Thanks,

about mixing options, I'd say if enough people were to give suggestions about it the next writer could mix it up a bit, I'd prefer if we didn't mix because if we want to go get the keys I don't want a fat man chasing us :P
    it means that if we want to go back for keys we'll be able to go in relative safety :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SteJForum

Is it ok if I become the 6th contributer? I know Paul, (Smiley)... I see that I won't have to be writing for a while so I have plenty of time to get used to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

SteJForum wrote: »
    Is it ok if I become the 6th contributer? I know Paul, (Smiley)... I see that I won't have to be writing for a while so I have plenty of time to get used to the story.

Yeah, the more the merrier. Welcome along :)

Yeah, the more the merrier. Welcome along :)

Cool, Just after reading through the story. am I next? I see that B seems to be the chosen option? I could start writing it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The next part of the story should be up tomorrow, but it does look likely that it will be option B so I'd say write away.

Writer Order:
    1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. SteJForum
    6. TBA

Hey Stephen!
    you have to wait two days between posts to let people vote but I think we could count today as day 1? :P

he's a cool dude and not a bad writer at all :)
    he concentrates on the details just like me

sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm opting out as I'm not used to nor do I want to write in this format. I find it awkward and much prefer first person. Also I don't really have time with college etc.

Sorry ro see so many drop out :(

Lads and Ladies, it dosent have to be War and Feckin Peace, So long as you can convey a basic plot concept and move the story forward a little, Hell Have a look at the Schlock I've written in this forum to get a decent apreciation of Just how LOW the Standard of writin is :D

We're all fairly rubish at this writing lark, no one here is going to be a literary critic, in fact I think we may table a motion banning Grammar Nazis.

So go on If your undecided just have a go, serioulsy, just type a stre3am of conciousness.

you know that theory about a Million monkeys a Million typewriters and infinite time to produce the Works of Shakespear

5 Monkeys, 2 Typewriters, 15 Minutes

Should be able to crank out a submission for this game
    :):):):):)

well if thats all that is needed i'll try think of something in work tomorrow. not saying i will defo take a crack at it but i'll type it up and run it past a few people before throwing it in here.

i know we arent all literary geniuses in here but we have to have some level of competence no matter how low i can bring it :pac:

Thas the spirit. Go right ahead and see what ye can come up michaelpower. No harm whatsoever.

Mahatma is exactly right. It's really the contribution and general effort that counts toward moving the story along.

I'll absolutely jump in as needed. No problem there. I have a fair number of ideas so if we hit a dead spot I'll just post something up. I'll give it 24hrs or so to see what we get tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

yeah just take a stab, personally i dont care if its 5 or ten lines long, if the spelling is wrong etc.
    just write down something leave 3 choices and give everyone something to think about/mull over to kill time during the day
    it really is a case of the more the merrier

there will be no critism whatsoever of any effort written be it a 2000 word essay or 5 line effort
    just try keep the story moving along step by step any way you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Since it's been brought up, does it really even matter which point of view each person writes in? I mean, I've written in games where one person wrote in first-person, and most everyone else in third-person (I've rarely seen second-person narrative's, tbh).

I'm more of a third-person POV writer myself, but personally, I think you should write in the way that feels comfortable for you.

I don't think changing POV is an issue at all. I'd say write how ya want - the main thing is to just keep the story moving.

I think everyone is cool w/ whatever feels right to ya.

Also - ChaseThisLight is in the process of writing so she'll post next.

SmileyPaul - can you please send her a PM w/ the choices from your post please?

yeah doesnt matter what POV its written in.
    looking forward to reading chasethislight's episode, ya cant beat a female kicking ass

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

SUNGOD wrote: »
    yeah doesnt matter what POV its written in.
    looking forward to reading chasethislight's episode, ya cant beat a female kicking ass

I'm glad I didn't see this until after I'd written it; the pressure to make it super awesome would have been enormous. :)

Got it written, pretty much...just waiting to hear from SmileyPaul, so I can make the proper adjustments to fit what was chosen.

And if we don't hear by tomorrow sometime we'll just assume that Choice B didn't lead to our immediate death and we'll game on!

if this stays as a success and a second one is started can the previous stories bee muddled together so that its one long read instead of leaving people to scroll through the thread?

just a thought.

I'm glad I didn't see this until after I'd written it; the pressure to make it super awesome would have been enormous. :)

no pressure, you ass kicking female:D

good idea michaelpower im sure it could be done

oh deffo on that one, at some point the CYOA should bump inta a JCB :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

so the revised list is

1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. chasethislight

anyone else?

Advertisement