Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose Your Own Adventure - DISCUSSION THREAD

Options
  • 31-01-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭

Use this thread to discuss anything related to the current Choose Your Own Adventure story that is going on here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70382166#post70382166

Feel free to chat about what answer to vote for or to bring up any issues you see with the game.

Any other questions pertaining to the CYOA game can be listed here as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

have the writers been pre-chosen or are there still open spots?
    Am not looking to pm anyone and ask for hints, just wanna know if the job is gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

I believe we are still taking writer applicants for this first go-round. A couple more would be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'll write.

I was wonderin tho, when you give the options of what to do next shouldnt the author of that bit decide which is which, maybe write a brief synopsis of each option and delete it so that its there but only the mod ca see it, then when people pick the options we can have it undeleted.
    orsomesuch

I'll write.

I was wonderin tho, when you give the options of what to do next shouldnt the author of that bit decide which is which, maybe write a brief synopsis of each option and delete it so that its there but only the mod ca see it, then when people pick the options we can have it undeleted.
    orsomesuch

Yes. The author dictates the outcome of his/her writing. Each post should follow the below plan. It'll just help keep it simple:
    • 1 choice takes you down a safe route - Temporary Safety (TS)
    • 1 choice leads towards danger but not directly into it - Danger Increased (DI)
    • 1 choice leads you to fairly immediate death - Immediate Death (ID)

I was going to say we just share everything between the writers but that would mean the writers don't get to vote. Not sure if that will be a problem or not.

Hmmm....maybe the writer reveals the answers to the next writer AFTER the votes are counted. That seems like it would work.

Oh - and Mahatma - you can take second writer, aka the next post, if ya don't mind. :D

Excellent, I'll need to know what your 3 options were.

Altho knowing human nature as I do, Expect all my options to end in Certain Death:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Excellent, I'll need to know what your 3 options were.

Altho knowing human nature as I do, Expect all my options to end in Certain Death:D:D:D

But i don't think you need to know what Dakota had planned, you take the story and do as you wish with it. the story should be organic and not rigid, for example, you can read the reasons and votes and just go from there.

Ah No Mickey, the CYOA format would dictate that dakotaYoda provide us with the initial scenario and 3 Possible outcomes, Dakota then decides which decision produces which result, for example, IF by choosing option B, as we mostly did, in the first scenario we end up falling down thealready Hacked away stairwell of a less hungover Boardzie and the Option of do nothing was correct because there was a surgical strike team ready to absail in the windo and rescue you, I needs to know these sorts of things, cos I have to write from There.

My plan was to PM you the outcomes to my post as soon as voting was closed. Will that work?

Increasing the lab between new story posts is the only issue I see with that manner of doing things.

EDIT: And by outcome - I mean I'll relay to you which answer meant what. IE which one is Temporary Safety (TS), Danger Increased (DI), or Immediate Death (ID). You can take it from there.

I's cool with that, I think we should publish the other options too tho at a later stage.

OK Who's writin Paragraph 3?????????

• Advertisement

Looking for volunteers for the next post.

If no one takes it you and I can hash out the rest of the story Mahatma, if yer up for that. :D

If need be Dakota, but I would like there to bew a bit more participation from others, the more people inputting into the story the more fun it gets from a writers perspective, We could probably sit down tonight and hash out 5 Chapters over PM, but if those chapters grow organicaly then the story stands a chance of going off in a more interesting direction.

Also what do you think of lobbin a few Tunes etc into the mix to add a bit of atmosphere

Miky
    Can you confirm whether or not you can see the 3 outcome post I deleted???????

ALSO

What happens when the Group chose the Wrong Path and ends up gettin eaten, Do we just rewind to the previous options and go again???????

If need be Dakota, but I would like there to bew a bit more participation from others, the more people inputting into the story the more fun it gets from a writers perspective, We could probably sit down tonight and hash out 5 Chapters over PM, but if those chapters grow organicaly then the story stands a chance of going off in a more interesting direction.

Also what do you think of lobbin a few Tunes etc into the mix to add a bit of atmosphere

Oh hells yeah - In fact I plan to write a whole one and I plan to shoot some video, etc for it. So - yeah. Spice it up however we can. Text is great but other flavor stuff is helpful.

I'd much prefer to have another writer too. Becomes less of a chore for everyone and the story grows a bit differently.

So WHO'S NEXT TO WRITE???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i'll give it a go,
    let me know if ye want me to start

SUNGOD wrote: »
    i'll give it a go,
    let me know if ye want me to start

Lovely SUNGOD. Much appreciated man.

Voting will be done tomorrow so if you want to post your next part of the story by Sunday, since weekends can be slow, that should be fine. Otherwise you can post Saturday if you have things ready.

Mahatma - can you PM SUNGOD your answers Saturday?

Thx all!

What happens when the Group chose the Wrong Path and ends up gettin eaten, Do we just rewind to the previous options and go again???????

im wondering about this as well

also maybe im missing something but why would the next writer need the 3 options of the previous writer
    as he will write his own version of of whatever option is voted on

My initial thought was that once eaten a new story begins.

If we want to rewind I guess we could do that though as that's what I always did w/ the CYOA books.

As far as needing the previous writers answer's - read up the thread a bit. Mahatma and I discussed this some.
    The gist was that each post would give 3 options. 1 that lead to safety, 1 that led to increasing danger, and 1 that lead to immediate death. The next writer would need to know which answer is which.

Hope that makes sense. Still pouring in coffee to get my mind working.

ok so once eaten we start again

so all Mahatma will be sending me will be what option that was voted on will be either safety, increasing danger or death
    ok sounds good to me

• Advertisement

SUNGOD wrote: »
    ok so once eaten we start again

so all Mahatma will be sending me will be what option that was voted on will be either safety, increasing danger or death
    ok sounds good to me

Yup.

BUT - this is absolutely up for discussion. Do we want to start over or go back to the latest post and let everyone revote? Plus/Minus both ways I guess. I'm open to either.

I guess I'd just say that once ya slip up in the Zompocalypse yer pretty much screwed. No do overs. :) But that doesn't mean we can't in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    Yup.

BUT - this is absolutely up for discussion. Do we want to start over or go back to the latest post and let everyone revote? Plus/Minus both ways I guess. I'm open to either.

I guess I'd just say that once ya slip up in the Zompocalypse yer pretty much screwed. No do overs. :) But that doesn't mean we can't in this game.

I think if you die as a group decision, thats tough, the story ends with you being dead or worse, turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

I like the idea that if you die/are turned/whatever, then that particular story is over. It gives us the opportunity to then do another story, in a totally different situation, etc. Also, I'll take a turn writing as well at some point.

The other option would be to continue the game as a Zombie once ya got eaten. :D

But - I think that may be the way to write an entire unique story. You're a zombie trying to "survive". CYOA to catch the food to eat!!!

And you can take the next post after SUNGOD ChaseThisLight - thanks for volunteering!!!!

Writer Order:
    1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. ChaseThisLight

I suppose it would be interesting to write from the POV Of a Zombie
    4 is a good start for writers, hopefully more people will join in :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Awesome...will do. You both bring up a good point though, now that I think about it. I have a book, Zombie Haiku, where the main character starts as a survivor, but he gets turned half way through the story so the rest of it is from his POV as a zed. Could be interesting to try it out at some point; if it doesn't happen with the current story - depends on the outcome, I suppose - then certainly with another.

for my three options i was looking at them more as..safe , stupid and risky so if the stupid choice is picked it doesnt have to mean certain death but would mean the next writer using his imagination to get out of the situation.
    also will i post my choice outcome in the main thread or just pm to next writer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Boom! I. Am. Game :D

Thanks for the PM mahatma

do you all use msn much?
    we could sit down on a regularish basis just for a couple of minutes and discuss **** :)

Yeah SUNGOD I think PM will be the way to go for communication

Sorry paul, have a Moral Objection to MSN ;)

BUT ANYWAY

WE have now reached one of our first major technical decisions in this Story

You Our Hero hav now comew face to face with an Actual Zombie

this is where we need to have the discussion re

Sprinters
    or
    Shufflers

or whaty kind of limited range of motions said Z will be capable of

• Advertisement

I'd say its absolutely writer's choice on the Z speed. I'll be going the Shambler route I believe but I'm not opposed to Sprinters. If one writer starts with one and then the other kind appear in the next post - I'm ok with that.

As far as group chat - MSN or google are good for me. We could also put together a little Boardsie IRC or something similar, http://www.addonchat.com/ for instance, unless there is already one I don't know about. Just have to let me know what times are best.

Also - SUNGOD's idea of 'safe , stupid and risky' works just fine for me.
    I'm thinking we need an actual metric behind this though. As in - you're always ok if you take the 'Safe' route, but if take 2 'Risky' choices in a row the next options could only be 'Risky, Risky, Stupid' ie taking more Risky choices makes it harder to have a Safe choice. Not quiet sure how to work that out tho... it's most likely an algebraic equation that I don't have the brainpower for right now. Also - I'd say Risk Should be rewarded from time to time so I'm not if penalizing Risky choices is a good idea. :D Coffee here I come....

Nice work so far everyone. Things are getting more detailed as we go.

Advertisement