Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose Your Own Adventure - DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Not bein moddy gang but let's try and keep chat in this thread specific to the CYOA game if we can. Plenty of room to start other threads about gear, etc... Ok so that sounded too mod'ish. Sorry. ;)

We're adding phill106 to the writers team so please treat him kindly. :D His post is due tomorrow...

1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. chasethislight
    6. wavehopper1
    7. deise go deo
    8. phill106

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

phill106 wrote: »
    Didn't you break the back patio door with a chair? I think james may have heard that, could even be legging it to the back window to look down to see if there is a zombie horde in the back garden.
    Also think you did mention our experience with weapns (not much it seems) as we "take one of the rifles and copy James' actions to load the weapon."

Im loving the story, and please dont take this as a criticism at all, I love everyones bits so far!

Shows how much I personally don't know. Suppose our protagonist is actually quite nifty shooting rabbits with, say, a Winchester hunting rifle. But he'd never used the Remington brand. Would he know without watching - how to load it, where the safety catch is etc.?

Or suppose he had experience with a shotgun - would that translate to knowing immediately how to handle a rifle?

I honestly don't know - I was more comfortable when our original hero (first story) was armed with his trusty frying pan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

our hero can easily lose the rifle when its your turn .
    remmember you can play god when writing:D

Just a note on current post, mine - you left your grocery cart/trolly by the front gate since all was quiet. You DO need to worry about someone taking it, etc..... just a reminder. All votes look good tho.

Question for all:

Is anyone interested in putting together a fake city we could always set our story in or around? It'd be a group effort to decide how big, how many schools, what are main industries, public transportation, parks, police/military presence, etc.

It would allow us to create maps, landmarks, and mash-up Irish and US city ideas a bit so we have a mix of both. Everyone that wants to would get to contribute.

The short version is it would allow us to have a greater level of detail in planning, etc without having to write extra pages of story. And I would also say exact contents of buildings would change w/ each story so we're not too locked in to anything.

Any more idears?

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    Just a note on current post, mine - you left your grocery cart/trolly by the front gate since all was quiet. You DO need to worry about someone taking it, etc..... just a reminder. All votes look good tho.

Question for all:
    Is anyone interested in putting together a fake city we could always set our story in or around? It'd be a group effort to decide how big, how many schools, what are main industries, public transportation, parks, police/military presence, etc.

It would allow us to create maps, landmarks, and mash-up Irish and US city ideas a bit so we have a mix of both. Everyone that wants to would get to contribute.

The short version is it would allow us to have a greater level of detail in planning, etc without having to write extra pages of story. And I would also say exact contents of buildings would change w/ each story so we're not too locked in to anything.

Any more idears?

It seems a bit prescriptive to me. I liked the idea of starting it in different locations - we did the city centre, now we're in the suburbs. Logicially the next one would start in a rural area - just to see what differences that makes.

Alternatively, if I happened to be the one starting a story i.e. after the death option, I might be tempted to go a bit crazy and start it on a ferry coming into port...or what about..."zombies on a plane"...:cool:

But I'd dovetail in if people want to go the map way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Well if you did a costal city, and included some country side and a few small towns around it then most posibilities would be covered, we could have charachters from different stories wandering around the same areas but going for different things, taking different options.

One thing that tends to be left out of the stories is a destination, if this really happened, after the initial shock, people would come up with a plan of what they want to do and where they want to go, rather than just wandering around.

If the stories were in a known location that people could reference, then the third or forth instalment of the story(After the initail shock has passed) could decide a destination and them later parts of the story would be based around the best method and route to get there, as the map would be on hand, people would be able to see what is needed to get from A - B and could start to form their own ideas of the best way.

SUNGOD up next for posting I believe? We'll give him a bit of time.

Will give feedback on the above posts when I have some time. Good thoughts mentioned in both.

sorry lads im a bit behind , mrs sungod just had a little son of sungod so we are a bit preoccupied.
    but i should have my chapter up tommorrow, if not i will forward the options on to the next writer.
    thanks from daddy sungod:D

CONGRATS SUNGOD!!!! No worries at all man - do whatever works out best.

You've got plenty of sleepless nights ahead to look forward to.... so at least ya have that going for ya. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

"Songod (see what I did there?! :P) it's time for your bed time story!..."

"YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"ehem.... Chapter 2 weapons and combat techniques. Of all the weapons discussed in this book, nothing is more important than your primary firearm. Keep it cleaned, keep it oiled, keep it loaded, keep it close. With a cool head, steady hand, and plenty of ammunition, one human is more than a match for an army of zombies......."

*childs falls asleep*

*wack!*

"wake up! I'm teaching you how to survive dammit!"

:P
    Congratulations man! I'm proud :)

• Advertisement

thanks lads , sorry but i will have to sit this one out i will forward options on to smileypaul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

SUNGOD wrote: »
    thanks lads , sorry but i will have to sit this one out i will forward options on to smileypaul

baby and missus wayyy more important atm! Grats on the new arrival, they are a life changer.

Ill get this up tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

SUNGOD wrote: »
    sorry lads im a bit behind , mrs sungod just had a little son of sungod so we are a bit preoccupied.
    but i should have my chapter up tommorrow, if not i will forward the options on to the next writer.
    thanks from daddy sungod:D

Congrats, Sungod!

Great story-post SmileyPaul - you did a helluva job in setting up options from here. We don't need to mow down dozens of Z's in order to move the story along... fine work!

Not sure how it would work, but imagine for the next story that all of the writers were in it. Maybe we start it off at a boardsies zombie meet! Anyway Z day kicks off, we are all together and story commences.
    The main difference being that we make choices for ourself like normal, but instead of the other lower voted choices being disregarded, instead it actually happens to those who made the choices!
    To prevent having multiple stories going on, the consequences of choosing may have to be more dire, ie 2 you die and one you live choice.
    We would get killed off one by one, maybe showing how it affects the rest of the characters (if at all).
    Thoughts?

phill106 wrote: »
    Not sure how it would work, but imagine for the next story that all of the writers were in it. Maybe we start it off at a boardsies zombie meet! Anyway Z day kicks off, we are all together and story commences.
    The main difference being that we make choices for ourself like normal, but instead of the other lower voted choices being disregarded, instead it actually happens to those who made the choices!
    To prevent having multiple stories going on, the consequences of choosing may have to be more dire, ie 2 you die and one you live choice.
    We would get killed off one by one, maybe showing how it affects the rest of the characters (if at all).
    Thoughts?

Sounds innovative. So the writer is safe, and it's a kind of Big Brother whittling of the rest :). Works for me.

Sounds innovative. So the writer is safe, and it's a kind of Big Brother whittling of the rest :). Works for me.

I like it, a last man standing kinda deal.

I sent the choices to Chase but they still ahven't posted :(
    this makes me sad, we gonna have to skip to next writer?

Sorry I made you sad. :(

Got your PM; I'll work on posting tonight.

• Advertisement

Sorry I made you sad. :(

Got your PM; I'll work on posting tonight.
    ah don't worry ^^ I'm happy now :P

great post, really set a nice eery mood around the place

about Apollo and Eva:
    they haven't turned crazy like that lady did and they aren't mental like James was, I think they're the same as you, just looking to survive.

About gerrin outta there:
    with full access you can finally see what the weapon count is, how things are stored at night and how well gaurded things are 24/7, take a look around and see if their are anymore vehicles, I have a feeling dolenz is gonna want to keep you at all costs and at the moment you've got the only Car you know about, if you can get out of their with a stocked up car after a week or two of holing and raiding things could be real good for a while at least, you might not be able to get all the way out of the city, but things will have calmed down and you'll be ok for the most part

Great writing, CTL. The "stick or twist" (i.e. stay or leave) conundrum is just as tense a decision as being faced with zees and "fight or flight".

Great writing, CTL. The "stick or twist" (i.e. stay or leave) conundrum is just as tense a decision as being faced with zees and "fight or flight".

Thanks...though I can't take all the credit. SmileyPaul put the idea in my ear, and I just ran with it. :)

The ideas are always there, people just need to realise them :)

that was all you :)

I'm next up - I'll post my part tomorrow morning.

I'm next up - I'll post my part tomorrow morning.

needs more dinosaurs...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I need my fix, im strung out on the story :)

I think I am up next on the rota, I will have to give my installment a miss though

Stuupid Exams.:(

Good luck in the exams, deise go deo.

So is it phil106 up next then? Phil - let me know if you'll be posting next and I'll pm you my outcomes.

• Advertisement

sure, if deise has exams ill go next.

Advertisement