Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to Use A Roundabout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

So looking at the below roundabouts (which do exist, google maps is just being a twat at the moment so I can't get sat photos), we're never going to use the left entry lanes?

Im willing to bet that if there are signs up when you approach those roundabouts, they will have an arrow as if it is straight ahead.
    ell oh ell

Im a good driver, just can spell to save my life....Well played though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It isn't a new way, it reflects the law. The law doesn't specify any special rules for roundabouts, except that you have to go round to the left.

So the rules for lanes are the same as for any other junction: stay left and indicate left if turning left, stay right and indicate right if turning right.

The previous version of the rules of the road confused matters because it only discussed lanes with a straightforward crossroads type roundabout, where left, straight and right corresponded with first, second and later exits.
    It's a new way of teaching it. (New meaning that it wasn't always the way it was taught). A roundabout in itself is a road. You yield joining it, once on it you indicate before you leave it. The position of the exits with regard to a clock face is only an invention to try to get people to follow an orderly way. It's not the most logical way, that's my arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Im willing to bet that if there are signs up when you approach those roundabouts, they will have an arrow as if it is straight ahead.
    One of them does, I'm pretty sure the other doesn't however, as I pulled over there for a whizz the other day.

Somewhat silly examples alright in that they're not taking a lot of traffic, but these sort of roundabouts do exist where there is no exit before 12 o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It's a new way of teaching it. (New meaning that it wasn't always the way it was taught). A roundabout in itself is a road. You yield joining it, once on it you indicate before you leave it. The position of the exits with regard to a clock face is only an invention to try to get people to follow an orderly way. It's not the most logical way, that's my arguement.

Well if a roundabout is 'in itself a road', if you were turning right at a crossroads (which a roundabout would be if it wasn't there) would you be in the left or right lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

thethedev wrote: »
    Probably the scariest post in this thread.
    Ya trucks are always gonna need room on roundabouts and might have to be in the wrong lane, but I'm not even gonna get started on this!
    While i have checked the road now for signage and markings on the road i have to admit i would have been wrong.Just going by the one road sign that is there i would be using the right hand lane.
    The op's photo doesn't give all the infomation that is needed to form what i think would be the right decision.
    Now saying that, cars will be alot more vunerable to the trucks if they both go to use the 2nd exit,if the trucks uses the right lane and a car uses the left hand lane the car can easily end up under the trailor,but is less lightly to happen the other way around.
    Again i will admit i was wrong people should check the road signage before they vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

smokie2008 wrote: »
    I've literally just had 6 two hour Lessons AND a driving Test in a Jeep and Trailer and passed no problem going through a roundabout Similar to this one in Naas and I can say 100% its the LEFT lane you should stay in.
    So basically, using your interpretation, even if a driver is taking the third exit on this roundabout (at 4 o'clock position) they should be using the left lane as two lanes merge into one in that case also. This would mean the right lane on the approach to the roundabout would be made redundant.

Which roundabout as a matter of interest?

I honestly couldn't tell you, I only ever done the lessons and test in nass I've never been there before or since

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Looks like the OP's argument is not even nearly getting sorted out....

216 votes so far and exactly 108 votes each.

50/50:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

So looking at the below roundabouts (which do exist, google maps is just being a twat at the moment so I can't get sat photos), we're never going to use the left entry lanes?

Do they have 2 lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Well if a roundabout is 'in itself a road', if you were turning right at a crossroads (which a roundabout would be if it wasn't there) would you be in the left or right lane?
    If there were no roundabout there, then if I was on the N11 for example and intended to stay on it (similar to taking second exit on most roundabouts), I wouldn't have to change lanes!
    If you're on a main road, and there is a 90 degree left hand bend on that road, and there is a junction off the road which is essentially straight ahead of you just on the bend, you wouldn't treat it any differently because of it's angle. Same should go for a roundabout. Introducing angles only confuses things, what if it's kind of just past the 12 o'clock? Some would argue that it's on the 12, others that it's past it, two people believing they're correct in their respective lanes.
    In any case, it doesn't matter what I think or what you think is the best way, the big point here is the poll is showing a 50/50 split, highlighting that the education on what to do with irregular roundabouts is completely arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

I just voted and split the vote 109 to 110 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

For me I don't see the debate, it's straight on (albeit off 12 o'clock), so its the left lane and signal left after the first exit.

From driving school Ireland;
    Going straight ahead;

* Approach in the left-hand lane but do not signal yet.
    * Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
    * You may follow the course shown in the illustration by the broken red line in situations where:

* the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    * when directed by a Garda.
    roundabout_straight.jpg

Stay in the left-hand lane, but do not indicate "left" until you have passed the first exit. Where conditions dictate otherwise, you may follow the course shown by the broken red line.
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

NUTZZ wrote: »
    For me I don't see the debate, it's straight on (albeit off 12 o'clock), so its the left lane and signal left after the first exit.

From driving school Ireland;

Link

Its clearly not "straight on". It can't be both straight-on and off 12 o'clock... As I said earlier, it falls under "any later exits" so the right-hand lane is the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

cornbb wrote: »
    Its clearly not "straight on". It can't be both straight-on and off 12 o'clock... As I said earlier, it falls under "any later exits" so the right-hand lane is the correct one.

Three exits, one left, one right, and one in the middle....don't know what else you would call it but straight on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There should be one rule for all roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Three exits, one left, one right, and one in the middle....don't know what else you would call it but straight on

So if there was only two other exits both after 12 o clock, you still call the first one being straight ahead?

Going by the RSAs diagrams, straight ahead is just that, straight ahead from the entry point you're currently at. The OPs pic is not straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

corktina wrote: »
    this poll from drivers with an interest in cars just goes to show how bad Irish drivers are....however you look at it, around 50% of drivers are wrong here!
    It doesn't though - it shows that:
    • This roundabout is designed badly
    • Roundabouts in general are non-intuitive
    • Due to the above, they're often supplemented with road markings or signs which contradict experience from other roundabouts
    • Road safety authorities sometimes write ambiguous and confusing instructions regarding roundabout usage (i.e. "approach in the appropriate lane")
    • Not really relevant in this case, but having different numbers of lanes at various exits of a roundabout is extremely bad
    • Due to all of the above... reasonable people have wildly differing ideas about what "correct" practice is on even common cardinal-direction roundabouts

Even if it was the case that 50% of drivers are morons (which I tend not to believe, having some faith in human intelligence and adaptiveness), the RSA (or the equivalent in Wales) would still be at fault for implementing roundabouts which cause almost random lane selection in motorists.

Also I'm not sure if it's been discussed yet, but has anyone considered why you take "straight" 2nd exits from the left lane?
    Because certainly no sane driver is going to be taking the first exit from the right-hand lane. Therefore you can reach the second exit from the left-hand without being cut off beforehand.

How would the fact that the second exit is slightly "clockwise" from straight have any impact on this? Why would it be correct to take a the left-hand lane for a 12 o'clock second exit, but not a 1 o'clock second exit?
    Most people don't have any problems counting up to two.

The only argument I can see against it is that the official rule seems to be that we should take the right lane. In which case, great, let's all do that. Otherwise you may as well say "driving on the left side of the road doesn't make sense because XYZ, therefore I'll drive on the right". :D
    BostonB wrote: »
    Absolutely - we should either have one unambiguous, simple rule for all roundabouts, that everyone knows. It doesn't matter which one is technically better (since people are in complete disagreement over this), just that everyone does it. If we can't do that, we'd be better off with traffic lights instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd go right, and would be 90% sure i'm right.

I've always gone under the rule, when approaching a roundabout, unless you're taking the first exit then you should be in the Right hand lane.

Although, if i had to use the roundabout a lot i'd sort of straddle the middle so would neither be right or wrong ;)
    Look if there's at least 3 exits,, for the first and second exit stay in the left lane,, if taking the second one , approach as normal if you see oncoming traffic indicate R (right) then sharply indicate L (left) when you pass first exit,, then proceed.Easy peasy... just relax,, at least your concerned,, :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Just a question for the people who use exit numbers as their method of picking lanes, in this example, would you be in the right hand lane entering this roundabout if you were leaving the roundabout via 3, 4 and 5?

To my understanding, exits 1 to 5 stay in left because they are all less than 12 o clock, and enter the roundabout on the right for exits 6 and 7.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145986&stc=1&d=1296531416

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Lol, I clicked along the road using that google link and there is a cretin in what looks like a Seat going all the way round the roundabout in the left hand lane.

No road markings at all, not very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It is helpful, its a big fecking sign showing the exit is on the right. So RIGHT lane.

bangs head on keyboard

I did say ROAD MARKINGS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Just do what everyone else does, approach on the left lane, indicating left regardless of what exit you take and go around the roundabout till you reach your exit which you take whilst still indicating left.
    Continue on your way indicating left for at least 5 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

BigEejit wrote: »
    Just a question for the people who use exit numbers as their method of picking lanes, in this example, would you be in the right hand lane entering this roundabout if you were leaving the roundabout via 3, 4 and 5?

To my understanding, exits 1 to 5 stay in left because they are all less than 12 o clock, and enter the roundabout on the right for exits 6 and 7.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145986&stc=1&d=1296531416

That's wrong. A driving instructor will never give you an instruction 'take the 12 o clock exit' or anything like that.
    They'll always say, take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd exit etc...

People need to get out of the mindframe of using the clock face as it only causes confusion when a roundabout is not a standard one or doesn't abide by the standard rules based on the way it was designed.

For example, if you approach a roundabout and the very first exit is all the way around at 3 o clock... you obviously stay in the left lane regardless of the exit being on the very right handside of the roundabout.
    BostonB wrote: »

Not all roundabouts are the same.

If you look at the RSA's picture, they only show you 1 particular roundabout that has 2 lanes entering and 2 lanes exiting.
    Not all roundabouts will have 2 lanes on every single point so you can't make a blanket rule for all roundabouts like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Welease wrote: »
    Do they have 2 lanes?

The entry road I am indicating has 2 lanes. The exits have 1 lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Vertakill wrote: »
    That's wrong.

But it's the law.

Not the RoR, which change to try and explain the law, but the law itself.

A roundabout is a junction. If you are turning right at a junction, you keep right, and indicate right. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Vertakill wrote: »
    That's wrong. A driving instructor will never give you an instruction 'take the 12 o clock exit' or anything like that.
    They'll always say, take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd exit etc...

I'm sorry but that's wrong. If you were approaching the roundabout in question in your test the instructor would say "Turn right at the roundabout, second exit". End of discussion as far as I'm concerned. The sign on the approach also makes it clear that you are turning right on the roundabout and therefore you use the right lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

God, now do i not only need to bring my drivers license while driving, I also need to bring a protractor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

But it's the law.

Not the RoR, which change to try and explain the law, but the law itself.

A roundabout is a junction. If you are turning right at a junction, you keep right, and indicate right. Simples.

I should've clarified the part I was referring to that was 'wrong' is the clock approach that people use.

My post was just to point out that referring to a roundabout by "x o clock" is wrong and shouldn't be used - but I see that I was pretty vague about it.

The reason being is that some people flat out assume that your 1st exit is at 9 o clock, 2nd exit is at 12 o clock and so on.... this obviously isn't the case and can cause confusion.
    tobsey wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's wrong. If you were approaching the roundabout in question in your test the instructor would say "Turn right at the roundabout, second exit". End of discussion as far as I'm concerned. The sign on the approach also makes it clear that you are turning right on the roundabout and therefore you use the right lane.

Fair play to you for ending the discussion by yourself there - good lad.

Anyways, I think what I wrote above explains my previous post and you've also pretty much agreed with what I said.
    My point was an instructor will not say "take the 12 o clock exit" or something like that.
    They'll direct you to the exit based on a number - 1st, 2nd, 3rd exit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Senna wrote: »

That loks like a pretty definitive "road sign" showing the first exit to be the primary route with two lanes. I don't think anybody would argue against using the righthand lane for the second exit in this situation.

What has been discussed up to now is where there are no road signs or markings defining which lane to use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement