Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to Use A Roundabout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Slick50 wrote: »
    If you hit a car in the left hand lane, crossing over from the right on a roundabout, you're the one who will be in the wrong. Once you are both on the round about. But that's another story.

If the first exit was past the 12 position, would everybody have to go into the righthand lane??

The only reason to go into the righthand lane is to allow the free flow of traffic that won't be interfering with your progress. ie to allow traffic entering the roundabout from the nearest junction to you, to enter the roundabout and exit at the next junction to them.

I didn't say I was gonna cross over and hit him. I'm only going by what the traffic corps guy said a few pages back. It was a joke :p

And it would be kinda strange to have a roundabout with the first exit past 12 and two lanes leading into it.......:D

I'm not sure I understand what you said in the last paragraph, I think your saying that the right hand lane shouldn't really be used much?

I feel this thread is getting a bit out of hand. :D

Can we just get someone to tell us what lane we should use :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you think its bad in a car you should try it on a bicycle....at night...in peak traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The clock-face rule doesn't, but it says the same as the Rules say: Making a left turn, going straight, any later exit. So any exit that's later than straight ahead, use the right lane.

What does not appear anywhere in the Rules of the Road is the "first exit, second exit, later exits" nonsense.
    The previous edition used to name the exits as first, second and third or subsequent. I assume that's where most of the people here got that terminology. It's only very recently it changed. That method makes the most sense to be honest, because the new way of numbers on the clock just adds another variable that people could interprit incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Some old clown in a 90s KY reg tin can did pretty much this exact thing in parkwest this afternoon. Except she went all the way round the roundabout.....
    Absurdum wrote: »
    HERE
    145704.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    because the new way of numbers on the clock just adds another variable that people could interprit incorrectly.

It isn't a new way, it reflects the law. The law doesn't specify any special rules for roundabouts, except that you have to go round to the left.

So the rules for lanes are the same as for any other junction: stay left and indicate left if turning left, stay right and indicate right if turning right.

The previous version of the rules of the road confused matters because it only discussed lanes with a straightforward crossroads type roundabout, where left, straight and right corresponded with first, second and later exits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Right lane, according to the ROTR:

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

The ROTR define exits as "left hand", "straight ahead" and "any later exits". In the OP's example, the exit would fall under the "any later" category.

In the OP's case, the desired exit is the second exit so these guidelines are unambiguous. However what if the first exit is beyond the 12 o'clock position? Would it be categorised as "any later exits" just because it comes after "straight ahead"?

Not a very good system, but there you have it. The poll results are making me think that there should be unambiguous road markings in cases like that.

cornbb wrote: »
    ...The poll results demonstrate are making me think that there should be unambiguous road markings in cases like that.

If its needs a second set of rules (markings), to clarify the first set. Then the first don't work. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Because the first exit has two lanes... you *could* have two cars go side by side from the entry road down that 1st exit.

Therefore you would be frigging mental to try and turn right (2nd exit) from the left lane... as someone already said - unless road markings say other wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

So assuming the positions of the clock rule is correct, in both of the below examples the left lanes of the roads entering from the direction of the red arrows will never be in use?

64306924.png

83754926.png

How about a roundabout with 1,2 and 3 lane entry roads, and one lane exits.

24qsi38.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I just hope those who voted "Left" never have to drive through the Magic Roundabout in Swindon... :D

mrs.jpg

msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

timogen wrote: »
    I drive a (40ft+) truck and i would use the left lane unless they're signs on the road to tell me otherwise,I am taking the second exit so left lane.
    If the traffic are on the outside of me at this point trying to take the same exit as me they are going to do another lap of the roundabout.
    If you didnt know the road,hadn't an overview and knew you had to take the second exit what lane would you be in?

Probably the scariest post in this thread.
    Ya trucks are always gonna need room on roundabouts and might have to be in the wrong lane, but I'm not even gonna get started on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

si_guru wrote: »
    Because the first exit has two lanes... you *could* have two cars go side by side from the entry road down that 1st exit.

Therefore you would be frigging mental to try and turn right (2nd exit) from the left lane... as someone already said - unless road markings say other wise.

It wouldnt be just mental it would be dangerous. Its the right lane for sure in the op's example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 collaredbonify

I voted right lane making poll 102-102

si_guru wrote: »

If you were approaching the roundabout and there are no markings or signs instructing you to take a particular lane, and you've got a big van in front of you blocking your view forward and the only thing you can see is a sign telling you there are three exits from the roundabout, is it easier to base your approach lane on the position of a clock which you need to guess in this instance, or on your exit number which you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Seriously like.....

What do the people who chose the left lane think is going to happen when someone in the right lane follows the road markings and exits onto the overtaking lane at the first exit?? :confused:

If you were approaching the roundabout and there are no markings or signs instructing you to take a particular lane, and you've got a big van in front of you blocking your view forward and the only thing you can see is a sign telling you there are three exits from the roundabout, is it easier to base your approach lane on the position of a clock which you need to guess in this instance, or on your exit number which you know?

If you take it by the exit number rule you will take the left lane which means you will cross the traffic that are allowed to take the first exit in the right lane. If you use the o clock rule this wont happen. The o clock rule is what they use in the UK anyway and is the correct way in the op's example of roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

If you take it by the exit number rule you will take the left lane which means you will cross the traffic that are allowed to take the first exit in the right lane. If you use the o clock rule this wont happen. The o clock rule is what they use in the UK anyway and is the correct way in the op's example of roundabout.

Using the clock system, the lane you use would depend on what position the second exit is at,.
    Welease wrote:
    Yes, it makes perfect sense... because it's the rules, and they work if people follow them..

The reason there is a poll on this is that the rules are so ambiguous, half the peolpe on this thread don't agree with your interpretation of the rules.

The term "normally" is used an awfull lot in the driving tester guidlines, I would suggest that the second exit is not "normally" beyond the 12 position.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

How anyone can think using the left lane to exit at 2 o' clock is ok is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

Seriously like.....

What do the people who chose the left lane think is going to happen when someone in the right lane follows the road markings and exits onto the overtaking lane at the first exit?? :confused:

I haven't read the thread since I last posted but I was under the impression we were talking about when there are no road markings/arrows dictating lane positions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    How anyone can think using the left lane to exit at 2 o' clock is ok is beyond me!

Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, it's after 12 o'clock!

Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, Right lane, it's after 12 o'clock!

Amen to that!

I really find it wildly unbelieveable that anyone would think it's ok to use the left in this case. As you know the votes are neck and neck, and that's on a motors forum. I reckon in 'the real world' votes would be strongly in favour of the left! :eek:

Using the clock system, the lane you use would depend on what position the second exit is at,.

As is the case in the op's roundabout is past 12 so right lane. Why exactly did you reply to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

The reason there is a poll on this is that the rules are so ambiguous, half the peolpe on this thread don't agree with your interpretation of the rules.

The term "normally" is used an awfull lot in the driving tester guidlines, I would suggest that the second exit is not "normally" beyond the 12 position.

But they are only ambiguous if you misread the 4 way diagram in books etc. and assume the 1st exit, 2nd exit applies to all roundabouts.. It doesn't.. it is talking about the diagram shown with a 4 way with exits at the major compass points, and uses the naming convention 1st, 2nd to highligh the point...

As someone else said previously, the rules actually basically state 3 conditions..

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

1) Left turn - Stay in left lane
    2) Straight Ahead - Stay in left lane
    3) Any Later Exits - Signal right and approach in right hand lane..
    * unless directed otherwise by signs or Garda.

There is no 1st, 2nd exit etc in the rules.

In the case of the OP.. it is past "straight ahead" or "12 o clock", so therefore the only correct lane choice is option 3) signal right and approach in the right hand lane.

If you use the o clock rule this wont happen.
    So in my example you're basing the entry lane you take on a guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

As is the case in the op's roundabout is past 12 so right lane. Why exactly did you reply to me?

Because the reason you gave for not using the left lane when the second exit is beyond the 12 position

would still stand if the exit was not beyond the 12 position. But according to the clock rule, it would suddenly be OK. I would see that as contradictory, don't you?

My God!

Even if you were using RSA's tactics the left lane is for going left or straight on, not for going right!

I really feel like calling half the people on here total fcuking retards (the left half)! ;):p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Those pole results are a clear example of how badly educated people are on our roads.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    My God!

Even if you were using RSA's tactics the left lane is for going left or straight on, not for going right!

I really feel like calling half the people on here total fcuking retards (the left half)! wink.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

So looking at the below roundabouts (which do exist, google maps is just being a twat at the moment so I can't get sat photos), we're never going to use the left entry lanes?
    So assuming the positions of the clock rule is correct, in both of the below examples the left lanes of the roads entering from the direction of the red arrows will never be in use?

64306924.png

83754926.png

• Advertisement

Those pole results are a clear example of how badly educated people are on our roads.
    ell oh ell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement