Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to Use A Roundabout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭jaffa20

phill106 wrote: »
    i stand by what i said. My link is a video from the rsa site. Do you think they would put it up if it was wrong?

Has anyone posted any links showing agreement with 12 oclock rule? I have a feeling this was the way roundabouts used to be taught, but has changed in last 10-15 years.

http://www.bitingpoint.co.uk/roundabouts

http://www.aandcdrivingschool.ie/roundabouts.html

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf (see Page 6 position at roundabouts)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

-Chris- wrote: »
    Right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right right

wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In the time it took me to read this thread the poll results have gone 56:56, 57:57, 58:58, 59:59. Obviously the relevant rules and legislation are not clear enough on the subject.

Personally I'd go with right, I know the clocks system isn't a part of any rules, but it makes the most sense. I would also be very careful about cars potentially being on my left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

niamhocxox wrote: »

However in the roundabout we are talking about the 2nd exit is past 12 o clock.
    I really wish everyone would open these links! :rolleyes:

Niamh, I accept that there is another way of using roundabouts being taught in the country. The poll and evidence posted makes this very clear. Evidence being the email and the RSA website. You can wish and roll your eyes all you want but all those links are doing is showing how bad the RSA is at giving a clear message. They are not proving your stance at all. There is no proving to be done on either side. Two clear methods are given but the unclarity and the problem is that there are two methods to begin with.

All I ask you and others reading this thread to do is to put this aside and step back to realise that due to the evidence posted for both sides of the argument there are two perfectly fine ways of dealing with roundabouts being taught in Ireland. One is wrong. I don't care which right now but what I do care about is that the RSA clears it up for once.

It is unacceptable to have the RSA spouting out two very very different methods of doing the same thing.

If the clock method turns out to be the one the RSA want that is fine. We will all have won in that we have gotten the RSA to fill a retarded hole in their way of doing things.

My main point is the the 50% for one side is not going to convince the other 50% and it is wrong to think that it should work like that.

It would be much better to get everyone here emailing the RSA to clear it up and not trying to prove that one view is correct over the other. That will get us, well it has gotten us no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yeah, i was even doubting myself after reading the first few posts...

I see they have all gone quiet now though:D

At first I said left because I always understood from the rules of the road manual that you only use the right lane for the 3rd or each subsequent exit. When I saw the email from the RSA I was willing to admit I was wrong.

This is however the very first time I've ever heard of which lane to use being dictated by the clock system. I understand perfectly how this would work but I find it shocking that such contradictory information is being given out by the RSA.

The only thing I'm sure of now is that I'm scared to go back on a roundabout :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

left lane i say, i was always thought left lane for 1st and 2nd exit, right for 3rd exit and there after. try the roundabouts in Ardee its crazy i usually straddle both lanes so i dont get cut up;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

bbk wrote: »
    It would be much better to get everyone here emailing the RSA to clear it up and not trying to prove that one view is correct over the other. That will get us, well it has gotten us no where.

That's already been done - I linked the response on the first page of this thread (post 12) and yet here we are on page seven!

I do agree with you that there is conflicting evidence out there. Having said that I think page 6 of the leaflet attached by jaffa is pretty clear and should settle any argument.

mfceiling wrote: »
    wrong...

ditto

• Advertisement

deaglan169 wrote: »
    left lane i say, i was always thought left lane for 1st and 2nd exit, right for 3rd exit and there after. try the roundabouts in Ardee its crazy i usually straddle both lanes so i dont get cut up;)

Now, there is two correct ways being given by the RSA but I think a lot of us will agree that this is by all means the wrong way of doing it.

Niamh, I accept that there is another way of using roundabouts being taught in the country. The poll and evidence posted makes this very clear. Evidence being the email and the RSA website. You can wish and roll your eyes all you want but all those links are doing is showing how bad the RSA is at giving a clear message. They are not proving your stance at all. There is no proving to be done on either side. Two clear methods are given but the unclarity and the problem is that there are two methods to begin with.

All I ask you and others reading this thread to do is to put this aside and step back to realise that due to the evidence posted for both sides of the argument there are two perfectly fine ways of dealing with roundabouts being taught in Ireland. One is wrong. I don't care which right now but what I do care about is that the RSA clears it up for once.

It is unacceptable to have the RSA spouting out two very very different methods of doing the same thing.

If the clock method turns out to be the one the RSA want that is fine. We will all have won in that we have gotten the RSA to fill a retarded hole in their way of doing things.

My main point is the the 50% for one side is not going to convince the other 50% and it is wrong to think that it should work like that.

Bbk, I was simply giving my opinion on the question at the beginning of the thread......It is obvious the vote is 50:50 and how to correctly use roundabouts isn't made clear enough by the RSA.

However I'm not arguing about the RSA giving out mixed signals etc.

I feel that if the RSA come out in the morning and say we should take the right lane, I can guarantee people will say no its the left lane anyway.

I don't think it is a coincidence that those links say the same info though.

After reading those you still believe you are correct and that we should use the left hand lane?

Shane732 wrote: »
    That's already been done - I linked the response on the first page of this thread (post 12) and yet here we are on page seven!

I do agree with you that there is conflicting evidence out there. Having said that I think page 6 of the leaflet attached by jaffa is pretty clear and should settle any argument.

You misunderstand me. The reason they need to be emailed again is because of what you and jaffa linked. They need to know that they are sending out conflicting messages which will result in one single method being put out by all sources.

I dont accept that the leaflet attached by Jaffa settles the argument. For one, I did my test last January and I didn't get marked down because of how I used roundabouts.

When the RSA, and all outputs from them share a single logical method (which I accept both methods are) is when the argument is settled.

The leaflet is not going to be seen by all the driving public and at the moment the adverts on TV contradict it. That needs to be tackled instead of trying to prove who is right to the other users of this board.

Kick the RSA up the ass and then once we find out what the ROTR should say then we just shut up and do it but by God the RSA should be buried for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mantaman

It's been a while since I've done a driving lesson or test(have full bus license with nearly 20years) but it looks to me that instructions for roundabouts are changing. On an aside, wonder if it's an age thing? are the older people voting right? I would definately say right anyway.

Reason:

I was taught that an exit was a single carriageway. Therefore, a road with 2 lanes on it, had 2 exits. Left lane for first 2 exits, right lane for all other exits. Unless road markings stated otherwise. Never heard of the "o'clock rule".

Actually, my son is taking his theory test in a couple of weeks, so being the responsible dad, I bought him the cd-rom version of the course. Took the test myself for the crack, got 2 questions wrong, one question was:

" By law, what documentation are you required to display on your windscreen at all times?"
    Of course I clicked on the "Tax and Insurance" button.................wrong!!
    According to RSA, Insurance disc is all thats needed!!! News to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Ah for feck sake:eek: Is this thread still going?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Ah the sign as you approach the roundabout tells you what position on the clock the exits are at :rolleyes:
    In theory yes. In practice...definitely not :rolleyes:

mantaman wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've done a driving lesson or test(have full bus license with nearly 20years) but it looks to me that instructions for roundabouts are changing. On an aside, wonder if it's an age thing? are the older people voting right? I would definately say right anyway.

Reason:

I was taught that an exit was a single carriageway. Therefore, a road with 2 lanes on it, had 2 exits. Left lane for first 2 exits, right lane for all other exits. Unless road markings stated otherwise. Never heard of the "o'clock rule".

Actually, my son is taking his theory test in a couple of weeks, so being the responsible dad, I bought him the cd-rom version of the course. Took the test myself for the crack, got 2 questions wrong, one question was:

" By law, what documentation are you required to display on your windscreen at all times?"
    Of course I clicked on the "Tax and Insurance" button.................wrong!!
    According to RSA, Insurance disc is all thats needed!!! News to me.

21 and voted right

Bbk, I was simply giving my opinion on the question at the beginning of the thread......It is obvious the vote is 50:50 and how to correctly use roundabouts isn't made clear enough by the RSA.

However I'm not arguing about the RSA giving out mixed signals etc.

I feel that if the RSA come out in the morning and say we should take the right lane, I can guarantee people will say no its the left lane anyway.

I don't think it is a coincidence that those links say the same info though.

After reading those you still believe you are correct and that we should use the left hand lane?

You gave your opinion which is fine you but went on to make a daft joke about what would happen if there was a crash between me and someone from the clock side of the debate and attempted to shoot down anyone who had the other opinion.

I do not believe I am 100% correct. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone and saying it is the way we all should do it. The problem is that while the RSA has this contradiction up nobody is really correct because there is more then a contradiction going on here. Both methods are being taught out there and in big numbers.

If the RSA come out and say the clock method is the way they want it done that is fine. I will go by whatever the ROTR state. The ROTR is the bible for one way to put it. We have small leaflets and sites that want to prove it to be mistaken but the ROTR needs to be amended which you agree to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Position at Roundabouts
    Where an applicant intends to take any exit in the 6 o’clock to 12 o’clock position, subject to road
    markings, the approach should normally be in the left-hand lane.
    The approach should normally be in the right-hand lane for any exit after the 12 o’clock position, or a fault
    may be recorded for ‘Position at Roundabouts’.
    However, where road markings are provided and they require an applicant to use a different approach lane
    from the above, the applicant should use that ‘marked’ approach lane, or a fault may be recorded for
    ‘Position at Roundabouts’- (not for ‘Road Markings’ in this case.)
    An applicant should have reasonable time and opportunity to see any road markings.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf
    the link was posted earlier but not the text, this is what the RSA say you do in the driving test and therefore ALL THE TIME. so for this roundabout its right, now can someone please close the tread?

You gave your opinion which is fine you but went on to make a daft joke about what would happen if there was a crash between me and someone from the clock side of the debate and attempted to shoot down anyone who had the other opinion.

I do not believe I am 100% correct. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone and saying it is the way we all should do it. The problem is that while the RSA has this contradiction up nobody is really correct because there is more then a contradiction going on here. Both methods are being taught out there and in big numbers.

If the RSA come out and say the clock method is the way they want it done that is fine. I will go by whatever the ROTR state. The ROTR is the bible for one way to put it. We have small leaflets and sites that want to prove it to be mistaken but the ROTR needs to be amended which you agree to.

It wasn't a joke, I was simply going by the poster who said the traffic corps said the driver in the left hand lane would be incorrect.

To be honest, I think that if they come out with the clock method, people will disagree anyway.

Drive safely bbk and I hope the RSA clear it up.

Niamh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

jimmyw wrote: »
    Ah for feck sake:eek: Is this thread still going?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Good to see I'm not the only one who is frustrated and rather confused...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

does anyone know what the uk ROTR are regarding this or any other country for that matter there must be a definite right and wrong way for driving on roundabouts.i think they need to highlight this on crimecalls traffic section,they have a traffic cop on going through the rights and wrongs for various road situations.

overshoot wrote: »
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf
    the link was posted earlier but not the text, this is what the RSA say you do in the driving test and therefore ALL THE TIME. so for this roundabout its right, now can someone please close the tread?

Although this thread is a mess I dont think it should close while the ROTR, which is the thing that all new drivers reads when being educated, is publishing information which is a contradiction. Not while the RSA have adverts which gives this same contradiction. Not while the people can be tested and not be marked down as per the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I use the clock rule, lefthand lane for everything before 12, right hand lane for everything after 12. I also use those magical lights on the side of my bike called indicators, if people could use these correctly that would be a huge battle won. Part of the problem on roundabouts is people using indicators incorrectly. There's not much point throwing on your indicator last minute when you're at your bloody turn! People who straddle both lanes going round a roundabout or swerve into the second lane when making their turn off look like drunk drivers.

Years of driving does not equal knowledge or automatically being right.

It wasn't a joke, I was simply going by the poster who said the traffic corps said the driver in the left hand lane would be incorrect.

To be honest, I think that if they come out with the clock method, people will disagree anyway.

Drive safely bbk and I hope the RSA clear it up.

Niamh

I agree but will add that if either method comes out there will still be disagreements which will really be disappointing.

Good day.

harr wrote: »
    does anyone know what the uk ROTR are regarding this or any other country for that matter there must be a definite right and wrong way for driving on roundabouts.i think they need to highlight this on crimecalls traffic section,they have a traffic cop on going through the rights and wrongs for various road situations.

I think someone said here how they treat roundabouts differently.
    If the RSA can settle on method and everyone just does it that way then I think we will have much less of a problem out there. Ohhh. . . One can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

If everyone agrees that the left lane should be taken for the second exit if it is before 12 o'clock, please explain to me what significant difference there is in the exit being at 1 o'clock and thus using the right lane. Why bring in this variable if it makes no difference? Surely the simple principle of exit numbers should be kept instead of trying to gauge what time the exit is at. Maybe we should all just go 24:00 digital to stop this carnage on our roads

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Right Lane FTW !!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

If everyone agrees that the left lane should be taken for the second exit if it is before 12 o'clock, please explain to me what significant difference there is in the exit being at 1 o'clock and thus using the right lane. Why bring in this variable if it makes no difference? Surely the simple principle of exit numbers should be kept instead of trying to gauge what time the exit is at. Maybe we should all just go 24:00 digital to stop this carnage on our roads

If you use the principle of exit numbers it wouldnt work very well on a roundabout like this example:

12_oclock_rule_rb.bmp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

WOW shocked that a motoring forum would be split on this.. but maybe that explains what i see on roundabouts daily...

It's right lane.. it's past 12 o'clock..

For those getting confused about 2nd exits ... the second exit mentioned by the RSA/Driving books is to illustrate their 4 exit roundabout diagram with the first 2 exits being at 9 and 12 o clock (because 12 is straight on).. left lane is fine for those.. it is not a rule of the road for a different roundabout layout such as the picture shown in this thread (where the second exit is past 12)...

Left lane is not fine for a second exit past 12 o'clock.. As already linked to in the testing guildelines..http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf

"Where an applicant intends to take any exit in the 6 o’clock to 12 o’clock position, subject to road markings, the approach should normally be in the left-hand lane.
    The approach should normally be in the right-hand lane for any exit after the 12 o’clock position, or a fault may be recorded for ‘Position at Roundabouts’. *obviously unless road marking indicate otherwise..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement