Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to Use A Roundabout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rex-x wrote: »
    the biggest problem is the education, i was educated and passed my test on it beign the left lane and others were educated on the right one hence the trauma this has given to 4 forums now :eek:

the issue with this one as has been proven on other forums is the exit is bang on 12 oc but people are confused by the sign and the angle the road leaves at i'v been loling alot at some of the arguments but wont put forward one here as there is ongoing debate on a number of other places
    the quote from the RSA supervisor covers that too by recommending that anything up to 1 o'clock should be considered straight ahead which would cover roads that have had a roundabout added where there is a slight curve in the original road at the site of the roundabout but the exit is still technically straight ahead.

and as has already been said numerous times, that is coming from someone who is responsible for supervising driving testers, so he should know. :)

the really funny thing is that even after 19 pages, people are still clicking on 'left' without checking the thread first. it was at 126 'left' last night and it's at 128 now. :rolleyes:

and an hour later, it's 129 wrong.

there really is no hope for irish drivers. :(

look, when it comes down to it, there are only two ways to change the more or less 50/50 split on the proper use of roundabouts.

A: The half of Irish drivers who are currently doing it differently to the rest of the roundabout using world change their errant ways and start doing things legally and properly, in the way currently laid out by the RSA and all road users benefit as a result.

B: Everyone who is currently following the RSA system of using roundabouts in the same manner as everyone except the other 50% of Irish drivers should change to use the incremental numerical system and signs should be erected at all the ports, airports & hire car centres as well as the border to explain the 'alternative' system used in Ireland and nowhere else and more signs should be erected on the way out of the country to remind everyone to go back to using the regular system when abroad to avoid any accidents.

oh actually, or C: 50% of Irish drivers take Vertakill's stance and "fcuk everyone else" and refuse to acknowledge the RSA instructions and just continue to do things incorrectly and risk causing an accident because they were either taught wrongly, or refuse to accept that things may have changed since they took their test many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

vibe666: Still, you seem to think I don't understand the clock method and I'm getting bored replying each time to that. I understand it fine - that's not in question here.

If you look back at my posts in this thread, you'll find that I haven't said that one way is definitively correct/incorrect or one way was better or worse.

I've just said that I was taught by a driving instructor, specifically, to not use the clock method, passed my test where my route was packed with roundabouts and also how I think the RSA's instructional videos and diagrams are not good enough.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    oh actually, or C: 50% of Irish drivers take Vertakill's stance and "fcuk everyone else" and refuse to acknowledge the RSA instructions and just continue to do things incorrectly and risk causing an accident because they were either taught wrongly, or refuse to accept that things may have changed since they took their test many years ago.

Or D: vibe666 actually realises that, whether the way I use is right or wrong, we would both be using the exact same lanes 90% of the time when approaching a roundabout and the two methods are actually almost identical for the majority of scenarios... therefore not really a 'fcuk everyone else' attitude at all..

And as I said already, twice I think now, the reason I use the right lane for the 3rd, 4th etc exit is because I was taught by professionals that it was safer. It's not some 'bravado' (your words) or attitude problem, despite what you'd like to think.

So stop trying to get personal and paint the image that I'm some lunatic that flies across roundabouts putting everyone at risk... because you're regularly deviating from debating your point, to just flat out trying to make personal insults.
    You need to take a few deep breaths because if you can't talk about something rationally, don't talk at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Almost 53% is the majority, therefore the majority of boardsie drivers (albeit a slim majority) believe that right is right and left is wrong.

Q.E.D - case closed, let's move along.

(left believers be quick and post your apologies now before thread is closed after coming to a (correct) conclusion. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Vertakill wrote: »
    I've just said that I was taught by a driving instructor, specifically, to not use the clock method, passed my test where my route was packed with roundabouts and also how I think the RSA's instructional videos and diagrams are not good enough.

And you have been given loads of evidence here that the way you were taught was wrong. Maybe your driving instructor told you one way, but the driving test supervisor gave a response clarifying the correct way to use a roundabout.

Are you really going to continue to knowingly use the incorrect lane on roundabouts, and justify it to yourself by saying "well that's the way I was once told to do it"? I mean, that's just stupidity and stubbornness, and could very well end up causing or contributing to an accident.

• Advertisement

redz11 wrote: »
    And you have been given loads of evidence here that the way you were taught was wrong. Maybe your driving instructor told you one way, but the driving test supervisor gave a response clarifying the correct way to use a roundabout.

Oh wow, a supervisor... well that's that decided then!
    Are you really going to continue to knowingly use the incorrect lane on roundabouts, and justify it to yourself by saying "well that's the way I was once told to do it"? I mean, that's just stupidity and stubbornness, and could very well end up causing or contributing to an accident.

You never know, stranger things have happened.

On a lighter note, what lane would you two take if you were taking the 3rd exit here?

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Newbridge,+Ireland&aq=&sll=53.422628,-8.305664&sspn=9.40978,19.709473&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Newbridge,+County+Kildare&layer=c&cbll=53.208417,-6.74162&panoid=BQjsoJ2t95DnQqrwC692Ug&cbp=12,235.09,,0,25.27&ll=53.208359,-6.741722&spn=0,0.019248&z=16

vibe666: Still, you seem to think I don't understand the clock method and I'm getting bored replying each time to that. I understand it fine - that's not in question here.
    yes it is, because you keep asking why its better, despite having it explained many times. :rolleyes:
    If you look back at my posts in this thread, you'll find that I haven't said that one way is definitively correct/incorrect or one way was better or worse.
    i think claiming that you will continue to do it incorrectly because "that is the way you were taught" despite the fact it is wrong, is pretty definitive tbh.
    most people were taught by a driving instructor, but it doesn't change the fact that 50% of you are wrong.
    Or D: vibe666 actually realises that, whether the way I use is right or wrong, we would both be using the exact same lanes 90% of the time when approaching a roundabout and the two methods are actually almost identical for the majority of scenarios... therefore not really a 'fcuk everyone else' attitude at all..
    yet we are having this discussion on a thread where you are wrong. :rolleyes:

i'd love to know where you get your statistics from, because in my experience quite a lot of roundabouts don't fit with your method and i am forever getting cut up by people who don't know the correct procedure. and there is only one correct procedure as has been clearly explained several times, both by myself, other posters AND the guy that supervises driving testers.

seems like a pretty conclusive 'fcuk everyone else' way of doing things to me, despite you repeatedly denying it.
    And as I said already, twice I think now, the reason I use the right lane for the 3rd, 4th etc exit is because I was taught by professionals that it was safer. It's not some 'bravado' (your words) or attitude problem, despite what you'd like to think.
    yes, because it's obviously safer to use a method that was specifically removed from the ROTR and is not used anywhere else.

and you don't consider it to be some kind of misplaced bravado or an attitude problem to blindly keep following the instructions of someone who you now know has taught you something incorrectly based on the ROTR and the evidence provided by someone at the RSA who supervises driving testers? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Well, judging by this sign just back the road, the third exit is straight ahead. So as per the Rules of the Road, and unless there were road markings indicating differently, I would take the left lane unless it was blocked, in which case I would take the right lane.

See it's really, really not that difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

simply because it is the way it has been taught to every other driver in every other country in Europe for decades and the way that everyone else knows how to do it. or do you think someone decided that it would be a lot better for the writers of irish roundabout law to just throw out the existing system everyone else was using altogether and purposely invent their own system which would contradict the existing system and cause foreigners driving in ireland and irish people driving in foreign countries (including the north where they would be using the UK system) to have accidents? :confused:
    In Spain the law is that the inside lane should only be used for overtaking or if the outside lane is blocked. Would you care to back up your claims?
    yes it does and it does it very simply if you'd been paying any attention at all. :rolleyes:

any roundabout small enough for you to see around will be very obvious and any roundabout of sufficient size that you can't will have a big 20 foot sign a good distance before it clearly marking each exit, where it leads to and it's position relative to YOUR position as you enter the roundabout making it a very very simple process for you to ensure you are in the correct lane in good time before you get to the roundabout.
    Unfortunately there is not always a sign. Even if there is, its not unusual to see it overgrown by trees, or be approaching behind a vehicle which occludes it. You still haven't explained why it would make sense to introduce a lane change in the middle of the roundabout if I'm entering from exit 1, taking exit 3, and have no lane change if I'm entering from exit 2 taking exit 4. I have the same number of exits to pass but I have to apply different logic each time.
    copy/pasted directly from page 64 of the document i posted a link to that you referenced.

it also has this pretty little picture which clearly shows a slightly non-standard roundabout with the correct lane use for each exit which nicely illustrates my point. :)

roundabout.jpg
    If I was doing the rolleyes thing I'd say "Thanks for showing an illustration instructing the use of the right lane only if using the 3rd or later exits." Instead I'll say it's a good example of a poorly worded law accompanied by an ambiguous explanation from the relevant authority.
    yes, all of them simply (even if for nothing else) that it is the standard system used everywhere else that has been in use for decades and to use a different system in a country physically attached to the north of ireland (using the standard UK 12 o'clock system) and with a large immigrant population also using the standard system AND with a large emigrant irish population is lunacy.
    Good point about being joined to the north. But it is not the standard system which has been in use everywhere else.
    show me somewhere it doesn't always happen because i can't think of anywhere and as someone who learnt to drive in the UK (where it's taught properly) and has driven many hundreds of thousands of miles in at least (to the best of my memory) 9 European countries plus two outside of Europe and has been using the correct method for negotiating roundabouts for the 17 years since I passed my driving test i'm pretty sure I would have noticed.
    I don't have a picture to hand, but the next time I see an instance I'll take a photo for you. Until then you'll just have to take my word for it that I've seen it several times in Ireland.
    again trying to pick tiny holes in an argument that you have already lost long ago in the vain hope of trying to win back some kind of credability rather than just growing a pair and admitting that you are wrong. rolleyes.gif
    You seem to be misunderstanding my motives here. I have no investment in my credibility/reputation on this forum. No one here knows me personally. I'm simply trying to illustrate the inconsistencies and failings in the way the rules of the road are worded and explained, and explain why in my opinion the sequential system is better than the clock system.

It's too time consuming to reply to individual quotes so I won't be doing it again after this.
    i'd love to know where you get your statistics from, because in my experience quite a lot of roundabouts don't fit with your method and i am forever getting cut up by people who don't know the correct procedure.

The only way we would have an issue together on a roundabout is if I was taking the 3rd exit that was before 12 o clock.
    I would be on the right lane and you'd be in the left lane. If there was 2 lanes on the exit of the roundabout, we'd both exit without issue - if there was only 1 lane on the exit, then we'd be parallel trying to exit into the same lane and then there'd be an issue.
    and there is only one correct procedure as has been clearly explained several times, both by myself, other posters AND the guy that supervises driving testers.

Again, this isn't anything special. He's supervising testers allegedly, and according to you, some of the testers are wrong.
    So either he's got a bunch of rogue testers, or he's not a very good supervisor.
    seems like a pretty conclusive 'fcuk everyone else' way of doing things to me, despite you repeatedly denying it.

*Yawn*

and you don't consider it to be some kind of misplaced bravado or an attitude problem to blindly keep following the instructions of someone who you now know has taught you something incorrectly based on the ROTR and the evidence provided by someone at the RSA who supervises driving testers? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should look up what bravado means...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Again, this isn't anything special. He's supervising testers allegedly, and according to you, some of the testers are wrong.
    So either he's got a bunch of rogue testers, or he's not a very good supervisor.

I think you're getting instructors and testers confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭swine

I wonder what's the preferred lane of choice for those on elevated horses?

I was taught the numbered exit system two years ago and passed my test. Not saying it's right as clearly people have provided links from the RSA to say the clock method should be used generally.

My gripe with this is the numbered exit system has worked for me as a driver for the past two/three years, as I imagine the clock system would have too. The RSA stating that it is "impossible to give a definitive rule on position to be taken at Multi Exit Roundabouts due to their actual layout, size and amount of traffic lanes if any" is just not acceptable. Obviously in multiple lane roundabouts, on site instructions dictate how to proceed but for roundabouts like the one pictured (I'm aware it's not in Ireland, but there are several similar) there needs to be clear instructions. Putting out videos of perfect roundabouts is pretty much redundant, when these are not the ones leading to debate. Also if the clock method is the one now chosen by the RSA, why is this not being communicated in their adverts? 'Going straight ahead' is essentially 'if the turn is before 12 O'clock' but it is not nearly definitive enough.

Lastly, while I'm willing to accept that I may have been taught incorrectly and will be have to adjust my driving, speaking from a practical point of view, the left still seems like the more correct option. From driving in Galway for example approaching the Headford road roundabout, both lanes are full with traffic. Imagining a scenario where traffic is dispersed evenly amongst 4 exits off a roundabout, if the second exit is 'after 12 O'clock' isn't 75% of traffic ending up in the right lane queuing up to the roundabout while the left lane isn't being fully utilised?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

this is the way it goes

left lane for exits 1 and 2 IF ITS BEFORE 12 O CLOCK
    right lane for EXIT 3 + , EXCEPT IN THE CASE WHERE EXIT 2 IT AFTER 12 O CLOCK , THEN USE THE RIGHT LANE

This is practice for driving schools, rsa DRIVING TESTERS, avivia ignition course, and ADI driving instructors

think thats enough eh

loobylou wrote: »
    I think you're getting instructors and testers confused.

Not really? We were talking about a driving test supervisor so I don't see your point.

And I was referring to whatever you want to call the guy that sits in the passenger seat as you sit your driving test.

I'm still looking for the roundabout gurus to tell me what lane one should use to go 'straight' (3rd exit) on this roundabout.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Newbridge,+Ireland&aq=&sll=53.422628,-8.305664&sspn=9.40978,19.709473&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Newbridge,+County+Kildare&layer=c&cbll=53.208417,-6.74162&panoid=BQjsoJ2t95DnQqrwC692Ug&cbp=12,235.09,,0,25.27&ll=53.208359,-6.741722&spn=0,0.019248&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

swine wrote: »
    From driving in Galway for example approaching the Headford road roundabout, both lanes are full with traffic. Imagining a scenario where traffic is dispersed evenly amongst 4 exits off a roundabout, if the second exit is 'after 12 O'clock' isn't 75% of traffic ending up in the right lane queuing up to the roundabout while the left lane isn't being fully utilised?

I'm not familiar with that particular roundabout but its important to note that the "rules" being discussed here refer to roundabouts without road markings as to which lane to use.
    If there are local conditions like you describe it is up to the authorities to clearly mark the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

corktina wrote: »
    cwmbran being in Wales (i think) and therefore in the UK, you may take either lane into a roundabout in this case (unless otherwise marked) and exit at that exit. That is because the rules are different over there and whats more people know how to use their indicators and mirrors on roundabouts.

Uk roundabout rules allow you to use either lane on approach if you are going striaght on irrespective of how many lanes there are at the exit.Far more sensible but totally lethel here as most havent a clue how to drive (see some of the answers on here for instance!)

100% right

Calm..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As I have already mentioned in Post# 261 the right hand lane is the correct lane for this particular junction, WHY? well looking at the picture again you will see that the 1st exit has two lanes (entering & exiting) which might in theory encourage 'some' drivers approaching in the right hand lane to take the 1st exit (while staying in the right hand lane), so for that reason I would approach the roundabout in the right hand lane to take the 2nd exit (so as to stay out of trouble), the thought of staying in the left hand lane and then passing the 1st exit (which has two lanes) seems rather crazy and increases the risk of collision, I would always stay in the RIGHT hand lane when taking the second exit (on this particular junction).

Whichlane.jpg

Just referring to that roundabout as an example where both lanes are full of traffic, not the exits specifically.

Just referring to that roundabout as an example where both lanes are full of traffic, not the exits specifically.

I'm not sure that we are talking about bumper to bumper rush hour traffic here, just the normal flow as shown in the picture (I presume).

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

This is one that confuses me, I drive through 2 roundabouts daily with two lanes entering and two lanes on exit, and on both roundabouts everyday cars in the right lane who are going straight through merge to the left lane to exit even though their lane continues on.
    I dont understand this as often i have to brake to allow these cars in as they feel they have right of way over the car already in the left lane.

So what is the right lane exiting the roundabout for if everyone thinks you have to merge left to exit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The right lane to be in is the correct lane according to the recently revised rules of the road, unless a signpost or guard tells you otherwise.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

To be honest I initially thought it was left, I am a learner driver and that's the way I have been shown, however, after reading every post in this thread I would agree that right is right!!

Maybe we should have a new poll to see how many have changed their minds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Are you expecting a vehicle on the inside lane to exit by crossing a full lane to take the exit?

If the 'RA' is marked so that there is no crossing (i.e both lanes marked as exit) then fine IMO but otherwise from my understanding of your description they should be in the left lane to exit in the first place.

Sounds like you are wrong to expect them to exit from that lane and they are wrong for crossing over (unless they came on from an obtuse angle (entrance) and took most of the RA on the inner lane to merge to the exit lane ? (like the large motorway ones)

Where specifically are you talking about?

(I realise that I am putting my wrist out for a good slapping here)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Unless markings say otherwise, they should be in the left lane entering the roundabout to go straight through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I wonder what's the preferred lane of choice for those on elevated horses?

I was taught the numbered exit system two years ago and passed my test. Not saying it's right as clearly people have provided links from the RSA to say the clock method should be used generally.

My gripe with this is the numbered exit system has worked for me as a driver for the past two/three years, as I imagine the clock system would have too. The RSA stating that it is "impossible to give a definitive rule on position to be taken at Multi Exit Roundabouts due to their actual layout, size and amount of traffic lanes if any" is just not acceptable. Obviously in multiple lane roundabouts, on site instructions dictate how to proceed but for roundabouts like the one pictured (I'm aware it's not in Ireland, but there are several similar) there needs to be clear instructions. Putting out videos of perfect roundabouts is pretty much redundant, when these are not the ones leading to debate. Also if the clock method is the one now chosen by the RSA, why is this not being communicated in their adverts? 'Going straight ahead' is essentially 'if the turn is before 12 O'clock' but it is not nearly definitive enough.

Lastly, while I'm willing to accept that I may have been taught incorrectly and will be have to adjust my driving, speaking from a practical point of view, the left still seems like the more correct option. From driving in Galway for example approaching the Headford road roundabout, both lanes are full with traffic. Imagining a scenario where traffic is dispersed evenly amongst 4 exits off a roundabout, if the second exit is 'after 12 O'clock' isn't 75% of traffic ending up in the right lane queuing up to the roundabout while the left lane isn't being fully utilised?

Your points in bold above are well made.

IMO the divided opinions in this thread, and the frequency of incidents on Irish roundabouts, are indicative of the confusion caused by (a) poorly worded and illustrated official rules and guidelines, (b) apparent discrepancies or alterations in driving instruction over time, and (c) shoddy and lazy engineering/"planning" practices in roundabout design.

Here are three examples of driving school webpages giving guidelines on how to use roundabouts. Draw your own conclusions regarding how their instruction relates to the discussion in this thread, and to the RSA's apparent "clock" method.

http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/Irish-Driving-Test-Video-Tutorials.php (Last three videos, bottom of page)

http://www.lireland.com/theory/roundabouts.htm

http://www.driveskill.ie/Roundabouts.htm

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm not sure that we are talking about bumper to bumper rush hour traffic here, just the normal flow as shown in the picture (I presume).

That's fine for Wales, but for Irish road users... :)

It's a purely hypothetical question tbh, but in rush hour traffic, with equal dispersion across exits. the 12 O'clock right lane approach would appear to put 75% of the traffic in the right and 25% in the left - seems unpractical, no?

Rush hour, bumper to bumper, with heavy traffic, then anything is possible, stopping & starting, changing lanes all the time, left or right? I dunno.

I might also add that (most) UK roundabouts are very well marked with painted arrows, so you are shown which lane to stay in, a bit of common sense helps too!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

If I am in the right hand lane on a round about I exit onto the right hand lane if there are two lanes. If there is only one lane to exit onto then I let any car in the left lane to exit and merge into the lane carefully, indicating, using mirrors and checking blind spots etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'm still looking for the roundabout gurus to tell me what lane one should use to go 'straight' (3rd exit) on this roundabout.

The left lane.

This is silly, of course, and there should be signs and lane markings to make it more sensible, but the rules say the left lane, with the right lane only for people pulling a Uey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I am not familiar with UK roundabout rules.

But imagine Welsh, Irish or Dutch motorists and cyclists navigating the first example below (in the Netherlands) versus the same people trying to cope with the second (Galway's own Circus of Horrors).

Rotonde-Rochadeweg.jpg

nxuqt5.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement