Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports presenters making sexist comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I've been watching Sky for years and Gray's always been an arse. Delighted everyone knows now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

That might be WHY they want to get rid of him all right, but he walked himself into the snare with his stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Yeah, they were probably just waiting for him drop another one of his infamous clangers and he stupidly obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

amiable wrote: »
    I'm off from this thread. No point in discussing it with people who don't understand football. Cheerio:D

Can't believe this comment. To be frank, it doesn't matter whether you know about football or not to have an opinion on this story. We are all more that intitled to discuss this and debate it without even mentioning football. The fact is two men while in the workplace questioned the ability of a woman to do her job purely based on her sex, NOTHING else. That my friend, is sexism, and all workplaces these days take sexism, racism etc very seriously. As a previous person mentioned there is no place for this in modern business. If say they had made similar comments about a black person or an indian person then they would be in the same trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

j5.jpg

I laughed at this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

amiable wrote: »
    I'm off from this thread. No point in discussing it with people who don't understand football. Cheerio:D

Why do some people talk about football like it's rocket science and difficult to understand?? :confused:

Oh wait ... I just remembered what started this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

i dont care for andy gray or richard keys..but they shouldn't be sacked..if people feel sacking them is justified id like to hear your thoughts on joan burton's tirade at joe higgins on tv3 last night. it was disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

From what I make out of this what they said was off air and a private conversation between them, could give him grounds for unfair dismissal tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

I don't think it's mad - I thought yesterday it wasn't being taken seriously enough - face it, they are alienating 50% of their potential demographic, although of course, it is mostly men that watch football, and with attitudes like that, its hardly surprising the sport doesn't attract more female viewers.

Good riddance - imagine being a woman and having to work with those a$$holes?

Potential demographic - 50%
    Target Market - 5 or less %

Id hardly put comments, off mic as a reason women wouldnt watch football.
    He was sacked for his behaviour in December as far as I can make out, which I imagine, added to recent developments, is the straw that broke the camel's back.

By the way can we retire the 'PC gone mad' line. If this is Sky's decison it is a business one. There is clearly no room in the modern business for sexism, racism or being stupid. It's the latter Gray is being punished for, more than the first one.

Agree with the first bit. Sky were probally looking for any old excuse to kick him with the court case, he has been their 18 years though, so I am sure he will be looked after healthly enough.

It was a business decision, nothing to do with sexism, one backed by monetary gain...yep. They'll get a new analyist in on half his wages now.

Odd however that they gave him a one game suspension...then sacked him. I wonder what happened in the interm...

I think the fact RK hasnt been sacked yet shows how much this wasnt about the incident in question.
    From what I make out of this what they said was off air and a private conversation between them, could give him grounds for unfair dismissal tbh

Id say he'll jump on the chance anyway. Techniqually nothing wrong with what they did.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    i dont care for andy gray or richard keys..but they shouldn't be sacked..if people feel sacking them is justified id like to hear your thoughts on joan burton's tirade at joe higgins on tv3 last night. it was disgraceful.

What exactly has that got to do with SKY sacking Gray?

• Advertisement

Again, it's not for that incident, it's for this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cS8OkAiXCI&feature=youtu.be

I didn't see it, have you got a link or script to what was said? Was she calling into question his ability to function as a TD based solely on his gender? Not sure of the relevance otherwise... :confused:

I didn't see it, have you got a link or script to what was said? Was she calling into question his ability to function as a TD based solely on his gender? :confused:

Heh, no, she wasn't, she was rude and irritating, but made nary a comment about his gender, NOR asked him to tuck her blouse into her skirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Again, it's not for that incident, it's for this.

When is that video from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think it's an inside set up alright, but I don't think Murdoch anything to do with it really, or Gray suing one of his papers. If it was he would have been sacked in December. My guess is someone inside the production simply doesn't like him and took the chance to hang him. The fact the 2nd clip was leaked a few days after would suggest it took someone a few days to find more evidence against him.

December.

What exactly has that got to do with SKY sacking Gray?

just highlighting double standards. thats all.

just highlighting double standards. thats all.

You haven't though, they are entirely unrelated incidents. Was Joan rude, yes, was she sexist, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

It looks like Andy Gray has been acting this way for a while. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, perhaps he has received warnings about his behaviour on previous occasions and what happened at the weekend was the final straw and as a result he has been fired.

He was incredibly stupid to allow himself not only to be overheard saying those comments but also to be filmed saying them. As I said previously if he had made similar comments of a racist nature then there would be massive uproar as well.

To be honest, he looks soooo pissed off in the video that there is a female lineswoman, he doesn't act surprised or bemused. He acts with complete disdain.

Can we keep this on-topic please - there is a thread here for any guys who want to discuss double standards.

Cheers

• Advertisement

I didn't see it, have you got a link or script to what was said? Was she calling into question his ability to function as a TD based solely on his gender? Not sure of the relevance otherwise... :confused:

she falsely accused joe higgins of being sexist. it's pathetic behaviour on her part. worse than anything andy gray said while on sky.

she falsely accused joe higgins of being sexist. it's pathetic behaviour on her part. worse than anything andy gray said while on sky.

Have you see this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

That depends on the relationship between Gray and the woman tbh Could be just a bit of bant.

who;s the blonde? she;s hot.;)

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    That depends on the relationship between Gray and the woman tbh Could be just a bit of bant.

She doesn't look amused to me by any stretch, and that it is being used as part of a plan to oust Gray suggests she was not amused at all.

Nozebleed, see the post above. Take any bemoans of double standards to the other thread please.
    neveah wrote:
    It looks like Andy Gray has been acting this way for a while. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, perhaps he has received warnings about his behaviour on previous occasions and what happened at the weekend was the final straw and as a result he has been fired.

He was incredibly stupid to allow himself not only to be overheard saying those comments but also to be filmed saying them. As I said previously if he had made similar comments of a racist nature then there would be massive uproar as well.

To be honest, he looks soooo pissed off in the video that there is a female lineswoman, he doesn't act surprised or bemused. He acts with complete disdain.

I am surprised that Sky took it any further than a public admonishment though. Purely speculative but perhaps grAy was asked to apologise and blew up, perhaps he's been privately admonished before and told he was on a final warning? I just think it's very odd that not only word of the comments but the actual footage made it into the public eye...and I don't think he's got a leg to stand on re unfair dismissal - I'd be astonished if Sky don't have a code of conduct or such-like sewn into their contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Nozebleed, see the post above. Take any bemoans of double standards to the other thread please.

I am surprised that Sky took it any further than a public admonishment though. Purely speculative but perhaps grAy was asked to apologise and blew up, perhaps he's been privately admonished before and told he was on a final warning? I just think it's very odd that not only word of the comments but the actual footage made it into the public eye...and I don't think he's got a leg to stand on re unfair dismissal - I'd be astonished if Sky don't have a code of conduct or such-like sewn into their contracts.
    If it was off air and just recorded by someone as it seems to be then yeah he does at it was his personal opinion outside of work and the company cannot hold him liable for a private conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

He's one of the most smuggest people I have ever seen.

Especially after seeing this, delighted with the sack.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

If it was off air and just recorded by someone as it seems to be then yeah he does at it was his personal opinion outside of work and the company cannot hold him liable for a private conversation.

He was in work though, he made comments before AND during the match, just not on the mic. It wasn't private either as there were other people present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I don't think they should of lost they're jobs for it, if a woman made a joke about men on tv would she lose her job? No, of course not, nobody would think anything of it.

Advertisement