Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports presenters making sexist comments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's utterly bizarre that a couple of people who have chosen a career in the media being hauled up by the boot-straps for failing to able to carry on a coherent conversation that doesn't involve crass sexism and dismissing a football officiate and a female involved at board level purely based on their gender has been dismissed as ridiculous and PC gone mad.

Perhaps we should just let those handsomely paid to be a media representative ride rough-shot over minorities and different nationalities, lest it all become PC madness and we have to think that we're not insulting or clearly being offensive before speaking....or civilised society as it's known everywhere else.

amiable wrote: »
    I agree it was a stupid thing to say. They've said sorry. There's worse things happening. Because they have no brains they deserve to be punished? Strange

Strange? Really? If you start calling names and being offensive in your work environment, would the fact it's clearly a stupid thing to say and the fact that there are worse things happening in the world going to prevent disciplinary action being taken against you? And you find that strange? Not sure what kind of special pleading you're asking for/expecting here? :confused:

Let's be quite clear, there are only two people to blame for what's going on - and that's the two muppets that saw fit to come out with the kind of statements that are always going to be shit-storm gold-dust. School-boy stuff. Trying to turn it around to blame the females they insulted or the media for making a story out of it is just a sad deflection tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

tasha200 wrote: »
    If she takes offence at what was said, then she is most definately in the wrong job..

What?

She shouldn't be offended even though her ability to do her job was being called into question (before the match had even started ffs) purely on the basis of her sex? People shouldn't complain about it or be angry about it? We're all just pandering to the PC-brigade?

I always find it a bit disheartening when something like this happens and far too many people seem to not understand that attitudes like Keys' and Gray's are all too common in every day life and believe it or not women are dealing with it on a daily basis in one way or another and it IS an issue. Nothing to do with being PC, or feminist, or whatever else. That's just the reality. It's sad that a lot of people don't seem to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Build a bridge and get over it

i was never under it thanks and i never said they should lose their jobs, quite the opposite in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i was never under it thanks and i never said they should lose their jobs, quite the opposite in fact
    Show me the quote where i said you said they should lose their jobs?
    I bet you can't
    And you don't have to be under a bridge to get over it. What a silly statement to make.
    Because yes before i travel over a bridge i go under it first, don't be silly

• Advertisement

Strange? Really? If you start calling names and being offensive in your work environment, would the fact it's clearly a stupid thing to say and the fact that there are worse things happening in the world going to prevent disciplinary action being taken against you? And you find that strange? Not sure what kind of special pleading you're asking for/expecting here? :confused:

Let's be quite clear, there are only two people to blame for what's going on - and that's the two muppets that saw fit to come out with the kind of statements that are always going to be shit-storm gold-dust. School-boy stuff. Trying to turn it around to blame the females they insulted or the media for making a story out of it is just a sad deflection tactic.
    No by suggesting someone has no brain you are suggesting someone has a disability and by doing that you are suggesting punishing someone because of their disability.
    Where did i plead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

The most disappointing thing about this incident for me is that it's drawn attention away from the fact that a 25-year-old (rare that someone that age does this job) woman (even rarer!) is working as a linesman [sic] at a premier league match.

She called a tough decision perfectly. She is a credit to herself and her employers who hired her because they believe she's capable of doing the job well.

But next time she makes a close call, can commentators be honest about it? Or will they worry that they can't criticise her because she's a woman?

Gray and Keys have done the game and all involved a huge disservice.

And I love that they assumed Dalglish would agree with them when he didn't even notice there was a woman running the lines and couldn't have cared less ... which is as it should be.
    panda100 wrote: »
    Wow I can't believe Sky Sports made such a progressive move!

I haven't spoke to one person yet who can stand either of them to be honest. Maybe if they'd been more popular, Sky would have taken a different approach.

LittleBook wrote: »

I haven't spoke to one person yet who can stand either of them to be honest. Maybe if they'd been more popular, Sky would have taken a different approach.
    Agreed. I think its been blown out of proportion considering the amount of people who dislike this duo anyway.
    Agreed also with your earlier sentiment also.
    Fair play to the girl in question. She did a great job on saturday.
    As an avid football fan myself if she had done a bad job on saturday i would have been inclined to blame her age rather than anything else.
    I'm sure she had more than adequate training for her position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LittleBook wrote: »
    The most disappointing thing about this incident for me is that it's drawn attention away from the fact that a 25-year-old (rare that someone that age does this job) woman (even rarer!) is working as a linesman [sic] at a premier league match.

She called a tough decision perfectly. She is a credit to herself and her employers who hired her because they believe she's capable of doing the job well.

I'm fairly sure it's not the first time there's been a female linesman in the Premier League and if not for the comments those two made I'd find the praise she's getting very, very condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I only heard what they said this morning. It's bad enough what they said but more than anything to me it was the way they said it. It wasn't said in a laughy jokey way, it was quite nasty. And I rarely get annoyed by these things but it made me very uncomfortable listening to it.

Fair play to the girl for accepting the apology and I hope she can get on with her job now and be left alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it's not the first time there's been a female linesman in the Premier League and if not for the comments those two made I'd find the praise she's getting very, very condescending.

Why is it condescending?? If anything I look up to her!

There are a couple of other females that I know of out of the 300 odd assistant referees in the league. All of them deserve praise as far as I'm concerned just for getting to where they are but Massey is the one under discussion at the moment.

No by suggesting someone has no brain you are suggesting someone has a disability and by doing that you are suggesting punishing someone because of their disability.
    Where did i plead?

Don't be ridiculous, suggesting someone is brainless or their actions show a lack of brains is not suggesting they have a disability. You are now moving into the realms of the fantastical - by that logic someone turning up for work drunk would get dispensation for the disability of being legless?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/sky-news-report-keys-and-gray-with-extra-sexist-footage-8278226/

I think this shows how Andy Gray ticks pretty nicely. As to being unimpressed by casual sexism putting the 'women's movement back', dear oh dear. Logic fail. Maybe people should think for a second before the open their mouths and make idiots of themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

someone turning up for work drunk would get dispensation for the disability of being legless?! :pac:

^
    Note to self... :D

Sky taking it very seriously, Gray has just been sacked. News developing.

More Gray being a prat- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cS8OkAiXCI&feature=youtu.be

Got to be much more to it going on behind the scenes. It strikes me as Sky making a concerted effort to blow this up to the biggest proportions possible - I don't believe for a second it's them taking a concrete hard-line with sexist comments.

Probably Ickle, for those 'leaks' to come out there was most likely a reshuffle in the workings.

Or the fact that he is in the process of suing the owner of Sky for articles that appeared in one of his newspapers about Andy Gray.
    Farcical decision imo

They were a pretty tawdry duo even on a good day - that and Greys multiple forays into sexist-pig PR liability territory sealed his fate, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Or the fact that he is in the process of suing the owner of Sky for articles that appeared in one of his newspapers about Andy Gray.
    Farcical decision imo

More than likely the real reason he was sacked, walked himself into it. Makes the leak even more suspicious tbh.

I agree it is farcial but I am sure they were looking for any old reason to punish him. I hope he sues for unfair dismissal and wins both cases.

• Advertisement

They were a pretty tawdry duo even on a good day - that and Greys multiple forays into sexist-pig PR liability territory sealed his fate, I reckon.
    Considering you can't spell his name correct your comments on him will be taken with a pinch of salt by many

Ebbs wrote: »
    More than likely the real reason he was sacked, walked himself into it. Makes the leak even more suspicious tbh.

I agree it is farcial but I am sure they were looking for any old reason to punish him. I hope he sues for unfair dismissal and wins both cases.
    Agreed. He's gone now and i think its wrong he's gone but i won't lose too much sleep over it.
    I do think British tv is gone PC mad

Considering you can't spell his name correct your comments on him will be taken with a pinch of salt by many

Lol. Boo hoo, the wee sexist pig was pushed/walked - wah, wah, wah!!! What kind of idiot makes the mistake of becoming headline news making bitchy comments about people and then expects them to keep turning a blind eye to it? Whether I type without looking and spell gray wrongly or not...the fact you've got to stoop to making spelling jibes speaks volumes for the depth and strength of your argument. ;)

Lol. Boo hoo, the wee sexist pig was pushed/walked - wah, wah, wah!!! What kind of idiot makes the mistake of becoming headline news making bitchy comments about people and then expects them to keep turning a blind eye to it? Whether I type without looking and spell gray wrongly or not...the fact you've got to stoop to making spelling jibes speaks volumes for the depth and strength of your argument. ;)
    No it doesn't. You are trying to come across as an expert on Sky's coverage yet you can't spell the guys name. Says it all that you are trying to detract from it unsuccessfully

I'm off from this thread. No point in discussing it with people who don't understand football. Cheerio:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I don't think it's mad - I thought yesterday it wasn't being taken seriously enough - face it, they are alienating 50% of their potential demographic, although of course, it is mostly men that watch football, and with attitudes like that, its hardly surprising the sport doesn't attract more female viewers.

Good riddance - imagine being a woman and having to work with those a$$holes?

He was sacked for his behaviour in December as far as I can make out, which I imagine, added to recent developments, is the straw that broke the camel's back.

By the way can we retire the 'PC gone mad' line. If this is Sky's decison it is a business one. There is clearly no room in the modern business for sexism, racism or being stupid. It's the latter Gray is being punished for, more than the first one.

No it doesn't. You are trying to come across as an expert on Sky's coverage yet you can't spell the guys name. Says it all that you are trying to detract from it unsuccessfully

Who claimed to be an expert? I watch it and I'm entitled to my opinion of the commentators. I don't know anyone bar yourself who is extolling their commentary virtues...and trying to suggest everything I've said is automatically untrue based on my spelling his name wrong while hurriedly typing and suggesting I'm claiming expertise is just grasping at desperate straws, build a bridge and get over it, eh? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

pray do tell, how does that change the point ickle is making?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

He was sacked for his behaviour in December as far as I can make out, which I imagine, added to recent developments, is the straw that broke the camel's back.

By the way can we retire the 'PC gone mad' line. If this is Sky's decison it is a business one. There is clearly no room in the modern business for sexism, racism or being stupid. It's the latter Gray is being punished for, more than the first one.

Gray is suing a murdoch paper apparently, I say thats why he was sacked.

Advertisement