Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports presenters making sexist comments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ooo I missed the off air bit. :o:o
    Well in that case I suppose there's not much you can do is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

May he who is without sin, cast the first stone. Etc.

In all seriousness, it was said off air, so what can you do to the lads? Not much.

Freedom of speech etc.

No such thing as Freedom of speech when it comes to defamation I'm afraid.

Which is exactly what they are doing by insinuating that they female in question isn't capable of doing her job. The fact that they believe this is because she is female just makes it all the more outrageous because it is also sexist!

Fact that it was off-air makes no odds, they were still on the clock and it was said publicly & recorded!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

It may have been said off air but they were still in the studio and therefore still at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I hope both are sacked because they are 2 of the biggest gimps in football broadcasting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They've both been suspended now

Sky Sports Presenters Disciplined For Comments

Two Sky Sports football presenters have been disciplined and dropped from coverage of a Premier League match after making critical comments about a female assistant referee.

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis said the pair had been removed from their duties covering tonight's Bolton and Chelsea clash.

He said: "I have spoken directly to both Richard Keys and Andy Gray this morning.

It has been made clear to each of them that their comments were totally unacceptable.

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis

"It has been made clear to each of them that their comments were totally unacceptable.

"Those views are inexcusable, entirely inconsistent with our ethos as a business and employer and will rightly offend many of our customers, our people and the wider public.

"They are inexcusable from anyone at Sky, regardless of their role or seniority.

"We have dealt with this matter by taking immediate disciplinary action."

Sue Tibballs, Women’s Sport And Fitness Foundation

The pair were recorded off-air saying women "probably don’t know the offside rule", when they were discussing the appointment of Sian Massey to Saturday’s Premier League match between Wolves and Liverpool.

Keys said: "Somebody better get down there and explain the offside rule to her."

To which Gray replied: "Yeah, I know, can you believe that? A female linesman. That’s exactly what I was saying: women don’t know the offside rule.

"Why do we call them linesmen?"

Keys then added: "Course they don’t. I can guarantee you there'll be a big one today. Kenny (Liverpool manager Dalglish) will go potty."

He then remarked on comments made by West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady in The Sun on Saturday about the amount of sexism in football, saying: "The game’s gone mad. See charming Karren Brady this morning complaining about sexism? Yeah. Do me a favour, love."

I am surprised they didn't say 'better go and get her to get the kettle on'

Read Karren Brady's response to the comments

The comments, which were not transmitted, were made when the pair believed their microphones were switched off.

Karren Brady has criticised the pair for their comments, saying they made her "blood boil".

"I am surprised they didn't say 'better go and get her to get the kettle on'," she told Radio Five Live.

The Football Association has given its support to Massey, 25, who made a correct borderline call in the build up to Liverpool’s first goal.

An FA statement said: "The FA has made real strides in encouraging both male and female match officials to enter the game at every level, and will continue to offer every encouragement to all officials within the football family to progress to the highest levels possible.

"We are proud to have some of the world's best match officials, both male and female.

"Overall, the number of female referees in England (Levels 1-8) stands at 853 and climbing, and all of our female match officials act as fantastic ambassadors for the game.

"They have our wholehearted and continuing support."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

I'm glad to hear that they have been disciplined. Their comments were extremely sexist, I'm glad Sky Sports have made some effort to show that they were unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Wow I can't believe Sky Sports made such a progressive move!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i think they made a joke which happens to be sexist, it wasnt meant to be broadcast but it was so there should(and has been) be disciplinary action taken.

that should be the end of it

people make sexist/racist/generally prejudice jokes all the time that dosnt mean they are any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i think they made a joke which happens to be sexist, it wasnt meant to be broadcast but it was so there should(and has been) be disciplinary action taken.

that should be the end of it

people make sexist/racist/generally prejudice jokes all the time that dosnt mean they are any of the above

Did you listen to it? They genuinely meant every word they said.

nope just read it, if it was stated as fact then thats pretty ridicolous alright but from the text it reads as a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I've stayed out of this for ages and just following this thread but how can you definitively say ''they genuinely meant every word they said''?
    Keys has apologized to the girl herself.
    Can people not just draw a line under it?

amiable wrote: »
    I've stayed out of this for ages and just following this thread but how can you definitively say ''they genuinely meant every word they said''?
    Keys has apologized to the girl herself.
    Can people not just draw a line under it?

ah to be fair i just listened to it and it definitely sounds that way

i dont think they should be fired or anything, it was off air and obviously they never expected it to be broadcast and nor should it have been really, people are entitled to their personal opinions no matter how distasteful and as long as they do their jobs professionaly then thats all that matters

but ye they sound like sexist pricks alright

PeakOutput wrote: »
    ah to be fair i just listened to it and it definitely sounds that way

i dont think they should be fired or anything, it was off air and obviously they never expected it to be broadcast and nor should it have been really, people are entitled to their personal opinions no matter how distasteful and as long as they do their jobs professionaly then thats all that matters

but ye they sound like sexist pricks alright
    Well IMO there's more chance of a rocking horse making a sh1t than them getting sacked.
    Its a massive over reaction imo. They've said sorry.
    Build a bridge and get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Build a bridge and get over it

I'm not sure why that's directed at anyone here - I think you'll find the posters of The Ladies Lounge have very little to do with the disciplinary proceedings of Sky employees.

It was a really stupid thing to say while within 100ft of a recording device, if they haven't the brains to work that out then they deserve everything they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Suspended? For something they said off air?

Absolutely ludicrous. regardless of whether they were being sexist or not, it should not affect their broadcasting careers! They were having a chat ffs! If they had said it during the broadcast I'd completely agree with the actions, what they said was insulting and rude,but I really don't think that someone should face any kind of disciplinary action at work for what is said "on the outside" (and imo when a broadcaster is off the air they are off duty.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

They were still "in the office" still being paid to do a job to the specifications of their contracts - whether they were actually on live microphone or not is irrelevant. Presumably Sky's terms of employment do not just exist for the duration the mic is turned on.

Is it okay for newscasters to be racists, day time tv hosts to be homophobic or film stars to announce their anti-semitism? As long as they keep it shtum while on live TV? No - and minority bashing/sexism/etc is fast becoming a fabulous way to become a TV company/cable show/film studio pariah - which is a good thing, if it's one thing the world could do with less of, it's the knuckle-draggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

phasers wrote: »
    Suspended? For something they said off air?

Absolutely ludicrous. regardless of whether they were being sexist or not, it should not affect their broadcasting careers! They were having a chat ffs! If they had said it during the broadcast I'd completely agree with the actions, what they said was insulting and rude,but I really don't think that someone should face any kind of disciplinary action at work for what is said "on the outside" (and imo when a broadcaster is off the air they are off duty.)

Ickle got there before me pretty much. But even off air if there were any females working in the studio I doubt they would haven been impressed at all, and probably very offended.

phasers wrote: »
    (and imo when a broadcaster is off the air they are off duty.)

That might be your opinion but its not the reality. I currently work for the largest tv production company in the UK and can say it's not a case for on air talent that they are only on duty when the cameras are rolling. I've been to enough recordings to know you can have laugh and joke around but you are in the office just like any other business and expected to act accordingly at all times. They had mics on, were in the studio in front of at least five if not more production crew/floor staff and god knows how many in the edit suit. For the moment they arrived to the studio [and by studio I mean the studio building not the set] they were expected to act like professionals.

If you work in an office and start having a chat with the guy at the desk next to you loud enough for everyone in the office to hear and that conversation is not suitable for the work place your at the very least going to get told to shut up and at worse end up in front of a disciplinary.

I'm not sure why that's directed at anyone here - I think you'll find the posters of The Ladies Lounge have very little to do with the disciplinary proceedings of Sky employees.

It was a really stupid thing to say while within 100ft of a recording device, if they haven't the brains to work that out then they deserve everything they get.
    I agree it was a stupid thing to say. They've said sorry. There's worse things happening. Because they have no brains they deserve to be punished? Strange

I agree it was a stupid thing to say. They've said sorry. There's worse things happening. Because they have no brains they deserve to be punished? Strange

Because they acted unprofessional and most likely in breach of the contract they signed with their employer regarding their conduct while in work they deserve to be punished by their employer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Richard Keys has phoned Sian Massey and Apologised

But the news article linked above, now reports that there was some discussion about her which was not appropriate either. (I've not posted the full article as it's a repeat of my quote above.

I imagine that Sky are essentially treating it as sexism and using their internal disciplinary code to deal with it. They were fairly blatant.

Ian Dovaston, sports correspondent
    Sky Sports presenter Richards Keys has apologised to assistant referee Sian Massey for the sexist comments he made about her.

Keys and co-presenter Andy Gray were dropped from Monday night's programme after the off-camera comments about Ms Massey were captured on their microphones.

A Professional Game Match Officials spokesperson confirmed that Keys had telephoned the official and apologised.

The apology was accepted, Sky News understands.

It has been made clear to each of them that their comments were totally unacceptable.

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis

Gray was also caught discussing Ms Massey in an interview pre-amble, during which her appearance is referred to.

A reporter described her as a "bit of a looker", referring to comments made by another team member.

"He says she is alright," the reporter added. "Now I don't know if I should trust his judgement on that?"

Gray replied: "Nah, I wouldn't. I definitely wouldn't."

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis said the pair were removed from Monday night's programme because their comments were "totally unacceptable".

ztoical wrote: »
    Because they acted unprofessional and most likely in breach of the contract they signed with their employer regarding their conduct while in work they deserve to be punished by their employer.
    You seem to imply that i think they shouldn't be punished.
    Where have i suggested that?

You seem to imply that i think they shouldn't be punished.
    Where have i suggested that?

Were did I say you suggested that?

You described it as 'strange' they were being punhished because they have no brains. simply pointing out that it's not strange as nearly every company would have a conduct code for employees which would have been outlined in their contract.

Were did I say you suggest that?

You described it as 'strange' they were being punhished because they have no brains. simply pointing out that it's not strange as nearly every company would have a conduct code for employees which would have been outlined in their contract.
    Surely if you had no brain you wouldn't be able to follow the terms of your contract?

Were did I say you suggested that?

By you telling me they deserve to be punished implies i disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

Football?? Sexism?? lol heave forbid....
    Think this whole bunch of crap puts the womans movement back by a few years...
    Instead of 'us' worried about being taken seriously as sportswoman, footballers, whatever, the male dominated media is making a big deal about two guys talking ****.. so what... if they wanna talk **** off air thats their business, they have every right too.. and while they are at it why not explain the offside rule to the bunch of women who parade themselves around with the footballers.... what a joke.. they didnt offend me, infact they should release a book, a full dissertation, aimed at women, to explain the offside rule...
    and wtf is she doing there anyway, a disservice to all womankind by allowing herself to be there, as an officiate in a game that only welcomes her species as a handbag shoewearing dip****...
    She did herself a diservice by officiating a sport where she is not welcome... premiership football... xxx

tasha200 wrote: »
    Instead of 'us' worried about being taken seriously as sportswoman, footballers, whatever, the male dominated media is making a big deal about two guys talking ****.. so what... if they wanna talk **** off air thats their business, they have every right too.. and while they are at it why not explain the offside rule to the bunch of women who parade themselves around with the footballers.... what a joke.. they didnt offend me, infact they should release a book, a full dissertation, aimed at women, to explain the offside rule...
    and wtf is she doing there anyway, a disservice to all womankind by allowing herself to be there, as an officiate in a game that only welcomes her species as a handbag shoewearing dip****...
    She did herself a diservice by officiating a sport where she is not welcome... premiership football... xxx
    Newsflash.... Maybe she enjoys it?

I'd disagree with that tbh, if the two of them hadn't behaved as they had, and had it not been made public afterwards, I'd never have known there were any professional female referees involved in the Premier League, nor that the FA have over 850 female referees involved in the sport at different levels in the UK. I wouldn't have thought there were any female referees at all until yesterday :) but then tbh I tend not to follow football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

Newsflash.... Maybe she enjoys it?

most probably she does, and has enough of a thick skin to ignore all the pointless pc ****e in the media, a big deal out of what, taking the piss.. people are being blown up in the world, and commentators commentate, and as far as I am aware, we can all have a banter and talk off the cuff without being villanised and without it hitting the headlines like, all I meant was it is a whole lot of boring tripe.. pointless in the extreme... This kind of stuff means we will all have to cough, clear our throat and have a good think before we speak..
    I meant it puts the womans movement back in that it make it a movement of political correctness.. whereby everyone has to write down what they are going to say, off record, proof read it, edit it, pass it on to any minorities etc. before it is actually said.. which makes life sh i te.....
    I am sure the woman is question is good at her job... If she takes offence at what was said, then she is most definately in the wrong job.. Political correctness taken to the extreme is censorship in its worst form.. x

• Advertisement

most probably she does, and has enough of a thick skin to ignore all the pointless pc ****e in the media, a big deal out of what, taking the piss.. people are being blown up in the world, and commentators commentate, and as far as I am aware, we can all have a banter and talk off the cuff without being villanised and without it hitting the headlines like, all I meant was it is a whole lot of boring tripe.. pointless in the extreme... This kind of stuff means we will all have to cough, clear our throat and have a good think before we speak..
    I meant it puts the womans movement back in that it make it a movement of political correctness.. whereby everyone has to write down what they are going to say, off record, proof read it, edit it, pass it on to any minorities etc. before it is actually said.. which makes life sh i te.....
    I am sure the woman is question is good at her job... If she takes offence at what was said, then she is most definately in the wrong job.. Political correctness taken to the extreme is censorship in its worst form.. x

I think the point being made here is that these comments were made by people in a "professional" environment, regardless of whether or not they thought the microphones were switched off. Such behaviour would not be tolerated in most, if not all professional environments in this day and age.

Just on an unrelated note, I've found your two posts quite difficult to read. If you could use some full stops and paragraphs it would make it easier, thanks :)

Advertisement