Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Well I am in the market for a good bed and am so glad I found this thread before I bought.

I have emailed Mickey and I hope to pop down on Saturday to buy a superking. He's mentioned a Harrison bed - John Lewis sell them, seem very superiour from what internet research I have done. Has anyone seen these beds in Mickeys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi All.

Just to update everyone, bed arrived thursday as agreed, call when leaving and a call when close by. Even brought the mattress upstairs for me and setup the divan base which was great, compared to Homebase who ditched a 3 seater, 2 seater and 2 foot stools outside my front door after informing me, "Oh we don't do stairs".

Very happy with the mattress, not a mark on it and very comfy. Drawers were also excellient, I'm so used to flat pack these days I was suprised when they came off the truck ready built and are of all solid construction, great quality indeed. Even called Mick that day and got him to send up another piece I had been looking at in his show room.

Very happy, saved and fortune and my thanks to everyone in this and the last thread whom have saved me easily over 1500 euro if not 2000euro on Irish shop prices.

Re the Harrisson Mattress, I did see it and it's an amazing piece of kit but comming from a 99 euro mattress to an 1100 pounds mattress I felt it was an upgrade enough for myself. How did you get on in the end.

Hi hopalong_ie I have just got back from Mickeys - the weather is not as nice in Longford today as it is in Meath!! Anyway, did the business..saw the Harrison bed Mickey told me was a belter...well it is. For me it was all about getting a quality mattress and while the Sealy ones and a few other he had would have been grand, this one is in the superleague of mattresses -£4000K in John Lewis and 4.5k pocket springs - he showed me the JL price list. Anyway, I didn't pay a quarter of that !!

Next was headboard and bed base/frame. After a lot of chat and mooching around, I decided to wait and Mick is going to get me a Harrison sprungbase and headboard and even give me some colour options. He's going to loan me a base and headboard for now until he can get what I want - how's that for service? !! All in all I reckon I'll have a top quality - cant buy it anywhere in Ireland £5.5k bed, base and headboard for €1,250. For me it's an investmant buy and I am sure it will give me more pleasure that what I paid out on a new Zannussi washing machine last week for half the price.

Mick will deliver in the next week or so, I'll let you all know how it works out. OH is gonna die when I tell him, but he's such a cheapskate...anyway, he has no say in these matters, just as well, as we'd be sleeping on hardboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aisling and Del

Hi mimmi,

I take it you were the lady in big mickeys store that we met today while we were buying our superkingsize sealy yippeee!:). i just cant wait to get it home. The guys an absolute gem to deal with.
    I never usually post on blogs or treads but you or Mickey mentioned the original tread was closed down something to do with the owner of the board thinking all the comments were not genuine?

WHAT A CROC :confused:

Today was our second visit to the store all the way up from Arklow Wicklow. Our first visit was back in November and we actualy spent the night in longford town. We bought a single pine bed and mattress, an amazing harrison superkingsize mattress a load of sheets pillows and duvets and all at a knock down bargin price. My hubby joked that we would have to sleep in the car as we wouldnt have any money left for a hotel and would you believe Mick offered us an empty i bed apartment across the road for the night if wanted it, NO JOKE.
    Im a sales manager for a multinational furniture fittings company and I can honestly say i have never met a salesman like him. His aftersales service is second to none. A real "salt of the earth" man. While he was showing mimmi around he even offered us a cuppa while we waited! If i hear of anyone looking for furniture or bedding i will only point them in the longford direction.
    2 and a half hours from arklow but worth the drive even if you just pop in for cuppa hahahah you can be guaranteed to leave with a smile or possibly a bed a sofa a table the list is endless:)

From A very happy repeat customer

Aisling

Yay Aisling, you posted !!

Glad it was well worth the drive up from Arklow and Mickey sorted you again !! I think he needs a bigger place to show off all the mattresses he has in stock...and all the other gems he has obscured by being so packed in.

I rang him 2 hours after I got home, as I had seen a nice bookcase which he told me was John Lewis again. I had decided just to buy the bed, but then saw a perfect spot in my lounge for the bookcase.Unfortunately, he said it had been sold 10mins before I telephoned:(. I didn't do my 'shall I buy test' which is when I ask myself, 'if I return tomorrow and it's gone, would I be annoyed' - it's a good way to evaluate if you really like something. Anyway, Mick said he'd keep an eye out for me for something similar.

Told OH about the bed I had bought and how much it cost originally - he was a bit dumbstruck..think he was phased by anyone ever paying 4k for a mattress !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

after reading the comments on this thread . i decided to call to Mick last saturday week (pre arranged) . got a fantastic bed and upgraded the matress too .i also picked up bedside lockers . 4 full sets of sperking linen , a couple of feather duvets , pillows & a rug . this was more than i had intended to buy but the value was too good to resist. the bed itself is way more comfortable than anything i have ever slept in and at 550 including the upgraded matress saved me a lot of money compared to anything i could get locally. i must say it was worth the long trip from the Kingdom & back. Mick even texed that night to see if we made it back safely . i have to recommend Mick to anyone looking for a bargain Bed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aisling and Del

Mick arrived with our mattress last night with his sidekick rudy (dudy) addorable jack russel. she drove halfway down apparently! oh lordy lordy ! like sleeping on a hotel bed, couldnt get out of the bed this morning so was a little late for work. cant wait to get home to get back into it, yes i know its sad, but hey lifes simple pleasures and all that!

such a happy camper so i am lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Like a lot of people on this thread I paid a visit to big mickeys a few weeks ago to check it out after reading this thread

Anyway I went back the weekend to make a few purchases. Bought a harrisson Mattress 3000 pocket spring for a quarter of what you'd normally pay, A bentley wooden bed frame and a second mattress which was heavily discounted.

If you're in the market for quality mattresses and beds this is defo the spot to go. cant reccomend the guy and the place highly enough

Great slogan on his van also " Big Mickeys"......."its not what you think!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

seanie500 wrote: »
    Like a lot of people on this thread I paid a visit to big mickeys a few weeks ago to check it out after reading this thread

Anyway I went back the weekend to make a few purchases. Bought a harrisson Mattress 3000 pocket spring for a quarter of what you'd normally pay, A bentley wooden bed frame and a second mattress which was heavily discounted.

If you're in the market for quality mattresses and beds this is defo the spot to go. cant reccomend the guy and the place highly enough

Great slogan on his van also " Big Mickeys"......."its not what you think!":D

How much did you pay for that Harrison mattress if you don't mind me asking. Saw a mattress advertised on Beds etc, it was a pocket sprung with 4" memory foam for 1000 quid which looks the business but is way way out of my price range at the minute but my back is crying out for a new mattress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Aaronm I paid 600 for mine its a top quality mattress you wont lift one of these on your own. very comfy - tough getting out of bed in the morning though!

Think he gets them through John Lewis so supposed to be top notch.

Anyway v happy with my one nights kip on it so far!

aaronm13 wrote: »
    How much did you pay for that Harrison mattress if you don't mind me asking. Saw a mattress advertised on Beds etc, it was a pocket sprung with 4" memory foam for 1000 quid which looks the business but is way way out of my price range at the minute but my back is crying out for a new mattress.

• Advertisement

seanie500 wrote: »
    Aaronm I paid 600 for mine its a top quality mattress you wont lift one of these on your own. very comfy - tough getting out of bed in the morning though!

Think he gets them through John Lewis so supposed to be top notch.

Anyway v happy with my one nights kip on it so far!

Cheers for that Seanie. Might have to take a spin down some weekend soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

So where is the best deals on pillows, and what are the best kind to get? :confused:

I have a superking size bed but my pillows leave a lot to be desired. :o

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So where is the best deals on pillows, and what are the best kind to get? :confused:

I have a superking size bed but my pillows leave a lot to be desired. :o

Well, it's a matter of preference I guess. I am a big fan of the Dunlopillo latex foam pillows. 10 years ago I had a slight bulge in one of my discs in my neck, after physio and no driving I was fine, but a relative bought me one of these pillows for Xmas - loved it ever since. Kinda not soft but not firm - I am not too keen on memory foam pillows. However Dunlopillo pillows are not cheap any more. My first one was £30 punts, but now I would pay €59 in a local shop, found a website but they aren't any cheaper http://www.shoplinens.ie/Pillows-!111-cat.html

Mickey should see if he can get some of these ;), although maybe I am in a minority, willing to pay a good bit for a decent pillow, but then I dont want that neck pain back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 barraohiggins

after reading all the posts here i decided i'd call into see if i could get a bargain at www.bigmickey.ie. we were on the lookout for a new mattress. there was no pressure to buy and i can honestly say he actually listened to what i wanted and how much i had to spend.
    got a savage rest assured pocket sprung bed for a 1/3 of cost in the high street.
    bought on Sunday, delivered on Monday. got a txt from him today to see if all was OK?
    would highly recommend this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 davr

I also like to add my positive experience in dealing with Mick.
    Rang him last week with a view to going down on Sunday (first time myself and wife could make it). He held a Harrison s.king pocketsprung mattress on spec for me until I got to see it.
    Bed was very slightly water damaged (barely noticeable) and i got an amazing deal on it. He is a genuine non pushy guy and was very helpful.
    We also bought some headboards and linen and he got me a simmons base with 2 drawers to go with the mattress for little money also.
    Got a full tour of place including some of the containers outside - this guy has an enormous amount of gear and the prices for most things seemed to be substantially less than prices of similar items i had looked at in and around Dublin.
    Bought bed on Sun - was deliverd on Monday evening. He even helped me set up and take away an old bed and packing materials. This is some level of service!
    It took me 90 mins to get to his shop from nth Dublin and i think anyone looking to buy furniture (or beds especially) would be certifiable not to ring him first before spending twice the price elsewhere. The trip was well worth it and I can see my next furniture purchases being from Mick.
    I think Mick will do very well in current environment for both his prices and fantastic service.
    Dave

davr wrote: »
    I also like to add my positive experience in dealing with Mick.
    Rang him last week with a view to going down on Sunday (first time myself and wife could make it). He held a Harrison s.king pocketsprung mattress on spec for me until I got to see it.
    Bed was very slightly water damaged (barely noticeable) and i got an amazing deal on it. He is a genuine non pushy guy and was very helpful.

How you enjoying the bed?;)

I got my superking Harrison 4500 pocket spring delivered on Monday, after 2 nights I can say I am in love with this bed.:D OH even says it great and he thought our 10year old mattress was 'grand' and what did we need a new one for ? - some men!!:mad:
    I no longer wake up with twinges, the bed is so huge I dont even get kicked in the night.:p
    Mick is going to try and get me the bedstead that I want, then I'll be a really happy bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Well guys, I'm going to have to chirp in with another great review for Mick! I sent him an email with a pic of a mattress from another website, told him what I was looking for and the budget I had...BOOM! Came back to me a fantastic bargain! Even better than what I was looking for, for the same price!!! And best of all I had the bed delivered the next day, that was yesterday. Mattress brought up stairs, on the bed and all packaging removed.

Unfortunately I wasn't home last night to try out the new mattress, but lay on it this morning and to say I'm delighted is an understatement. Going to bed straight after work today.

On a side note, a friend had RAVED about Mick to me last year, but didn't realise it was the same place. So from reading here, my own experience and my friend's experience all i can say is. Go for it! It's hard to believe these kinda prices and service are still around these days. A LOT of businesses could take a leaf out of Mick's book.

I want to buy new stuff that I don't even need now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Harrythebandit

Harvey Normans are having a 13 hour sale this thursday. 13-30% off everything. Might save a ton on a decent bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Chief99

Hi, another happy customer here after dealing with Mick.

I dropped down to him 2 weeks ago just before his sale and he opened the shop for me to have a look around. He asked me what we were looking for and roughly our budget and he took us around the shop to show us exactly what he has in each range/style. If you can arrange for him to open the shop I'd highly recommend this as he has tons of stuff down there and he'll be able to show you exactly what your looking for.

We were in DFS in belfast the day before and had spotted some nice sofas for 550-600 each, Mick had the EXACT same ones for 250 each!!!There was a small cut on the arm rest and thats why Mick said they were reduced but Mick said that they would be stitched up before he sent them on.

After we left the shop we released that we needed another sofa so we rang him up told him what I was looking for, he sent photos on and bought them too!

We are building in Galway and are living in Dublin so arranged it with Mick that he would drop stuff off in Dublin, pick up stuff thats moving to Galway and drop that and the other stuff we bought of him to Galway in the same day. We arranged it for last Tuesday morning and he arrived on time and all the stuff was in Galway that evening!

We got a great bargin on the furniture and the level of service is excellent - he text me Wed evening to see if I was happy with everything!

Would definitely recommend this guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Enjoyed reading this thread. Great to see someone know how to look after customers. Reminds me of Stephen Kings book- Needful Things:
    A new shop named "Needful Things" opens in the town of Castle Rock, Maine, sparking the curiosity of its citizens. The proprietor, Leland Gaunt, is a charming elderly man who always seems to have an item in stock that is perfectly suited to any customer who comes through his door. The prices are surprisingly low, considering the merchandise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 wildwolf1

Others may doubt that these posts are genuine, but I for one am going to recommend BigMickey to everyone for his truly personal service and great deals on quality furniture. I was lucky enough to come across this thread about a fortnight ago and decided to give him a call, as I couldn't make it up to the shop in Longford.

I told Mick what I needed, and he emailed me back straight away, with photos. I had budgeted £500 for a base, mattress and headboard, and Mick delivered in spades! I am now the proud owner of a quality bed and a beautiful headboard, together with a Rest Assured Pocket Sprung Mattress that my back will thank me for! The bed base is excellent quality and the drawers are strong and will provide great storage.

When I mentioned i was looking for a dressing table, Mick sent me another photo and I was very happy with the price.

I ordered last Thursday or Friday, and got my delivery on Tuesday. Like others have said, Mick helped me bring all the furniture upstairs, he assembled my bed for me and took away all the packing materials. The quality of the dressing table, which is G Plan, is well above what i expected for the price, and will last me a lifetime.

Got duvets and sheets as well, which are also top quality. I know where I will be going for any more furniture that I may need. Got a follow-up text from Mick on Wednesday, to see if I was happy with my bed. Mick is a gentleman and I for one shall recommend him to all and sundry, for friendly, honest service, quality products at great prices. What more could you ask for? Thanks Mick!

Yeah given my post history, I'm hardly a new account just hear to plug Mick. It was a great service and so I'm happy to share my experience, if others can benefit from. Perhaps you shouldn't be so suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 foofer

It's harryrthebandit and his love affair with Harvey effing Norman I'm complaining about...not all ye lovers of Mick-whoever the effer is-...so cop on to yourself and read the posts carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

I started this thread cos I had gone down to big mickeys and didnt get any bargain - that suited me - unlike lots of people. I did find a place in Dublin that had what I wanted at what I thought was a bargain price. It was an very good alternative for some who didnt want to make the trip to Longford. I have also bought stuff off big mickey since and I have no suspicions whatsoever with regard to the regular good feedback he receives on here.

foofer wrote: »
    It's harryrthebandit and his love affair with Harvey effing Norman I'm complaining about...not all ye lovers of Mick-whoever the effer is-...so cop on to yourself and read the posts carefully!

:rolleyes:

Going to take a trip down to Mickeys before the end of the week to get a new mattress. Does anyone know of a place in Dublin where I can get rid of my old one, legally of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Finally got to Comfort Beds in Tallaght on Saturday & ordered a Rest Assured White Angel 2000 pocket sprung & memory mattress for €435. Should be here either this week or next. Didn't have time to go down to Longford to out Big Mickey's shop, but happy with my purchase anyway!

I got a similar Rest Assured from Mick for €275 delivered the next day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WasSaintly

Previously known as Saintly - I never reactivated my account after the boards crash. Just logging on to leave a glowing report for Mick - I went up on Good Friday, looking for a bed, locker, wardrobe, chest of drawers, table lamp, bookcase and media unit - got it all, bar the media unit for 900. Absolutely delighted - especially when Mickey delivered everything that evening free of charge. Mickey is lovely to deal with, not pushy and provides a top notch service - would be hard to beat him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Going to add my tuppence worth here. Never had a new bed in the 19 years of marriage and was lured to Big Mickey due to the high profile posting here on Boards.ie when we decided to get one. Drove down there from Dublin last month to take a look. Spent a leisurely time looking at what was on offer. Nothing was too much trouble for Mick to help us - he even opened up the containers behind the shop for us to check the specs on a sofabed he hadn't even unloaded yet! Was looking for a new kingsize bed +mattress, four single mattresses for the other beds in the house, a sofabed and two cabin-beds. Sourced them all from Mick in the one go at significantly reduced prices (even compared to importing them). Believe me, I do my homework on these kind of things. Very high quality Harrison kingsize mattress, four Posturepaedic singles and a fine 3-seater Real Leather sofabed plus two Solid wood guest beds bought.
    The kingsize bed had to be sourced from the UK but was still cheaper than if I had ordered direct to Dublin. And he delivered it on Good Friday!
    BUT the best thing of all was the service given to me by Mick. If I had paid highstreet prices for the items I would still be praising the "going the extra mile" attitude of this man. He even offered to supply a bed to me whilst we were entertaining guests and our own ordered bed wasn't ready for delivery! We were kept informed of the progress of the order at all times.
    Add in the value for money received and you can see why he gets such glowing feedback here.
    I would highly recommend you look at his stock first when researching furniture for your house. You may be surprised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement