Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

OK have been following the thread and have to say Big Mickey is a gem. We went up from Dublin 2 weeks ago looking for a king-size mattress and got a smashing deal.

Bought a Silent night memory foam mattress and have to admit at first was a little sceptical about it. But happy to say that nearly two weeks on it is sooooooooo comfortable Mick was right with his advice.

Was willing to spend €300 ended up spending €200 (that's right less!!!!!) and Mick took the old mattress away too no problems.

Had a quick look and the mattress should have cost £450. Have been praising his service and prices to anyone who will listen.

Will defo be treating micks place as a first port of call for any more furniture purchases

regards
    Boom Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Another "thumbs-up" for Mickey - picked up a Layezee pillow-top posture zone last night - charged me €200, its €495 on littlewoods.ie. He also took the old mattress away, brilliant!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Newcastlewest

I have been mickeys shop last week and it was great deal , he delivery everything to newcastle west Co Limerick freee ...:D:D And very good prices as well ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 javapie

Long time lurker, and have been following the bed threads here for months. Finally drove down last Saturday week from Dublin to Big Mickey's July Sale to see if for myself.

Met the man himself, a real gentleman and chatty guy, and bought a great king-size SilentNight memory foam mattress (the last one!), new Slumberland 4-drawer divan, Stuart Jones head-board, and three mattress covers for under 520 euro. A nice pair of curtains were thrown in too. Big Mickey delivered and assembled the bed and headboard himself, along with his helper "Samson", three days later at a time outside work that suited me. Usually I'm one to haggle on price, but I just felt I was already getting a great deal and convenient delivery, so (for once) there was simply no need.

My last bed purchase came from Argos at nearly twice the price and the Argos delivery guys refused to carry the bed up the 3 flights of stairs to the flat, so I had to struggle on my own that time with a king bed. In typical Argos fashion they also only delivered during the day (couldn't tell me a time) so I had to use one of my work holidays up just to accept delivery, a complete waste.

Final score:

Argos: Nil, Big Mickey: 10

One final note; we had planned to arrive at the store at 9am, the opening time shown on the Web site. Somehow we managed to completely drive past it and by the time we got there it was about 9.50am and the store was still closed. We rang the mobile numbers shown and it was open by about 10am with offers of tea & coffee. But do ring ahead if you plan to arrive early to confirm opening time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vr123

neonitrix wrote: »
    can i ask what you paid for the 1400 kingsize - looking to replace a kingsize matress myself.

tks

neonitrix

It was a 1000 ks & 1400 double but u'd have 2 contact him urself 4 a price it'll be well worth it believe me and bought without seeing first and I wasn't disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just taken delivery of 2 mattresses from Mick - delivered, installed & removed.

Let's see what tonight's night of sleep brings - possibly my first morning of being late for work in nearly 4 years? Early indications are that it could take a few kilos of semtex to get me out of bed tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Just taken delivery of 2 mattresses from Mick - delivered, installed & removed.

Let's see what tonight's night of sleep brings - possibly my first morning of being late for work in nearly 4 years? Early indications are that it could take a few kilos of semtex to get me out of bed tomorrow morning!

Anyone got a reliable source of Semtex? :D For what seems like a soft enough mattress, its SO comfortable that its unreal. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Italiancheese

What are the Hilton beds that he sell for 299 like? Are they worth the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

They seemed very good for the entry level mattress the more you spend though the better the marttress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Is Big Mickey a settled traveller?

Not that it makes any difference, just curious..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

daRobot wrote: »
    Is Big Mickey a settled traveller?

Not that it makes any difference, just curious..

What sort of question is that? And no he's not! Not that I'm aware of anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gazelle girl

Had great service from www.bigmickey.ie today. I actually purchased the bed over the phone yesterday and he delivered it for free to Christchurch Dublin 8 today. It was cheaper than the other beds we saw and excellent quality. He's a really nice genuine guy, great value and we will definately be purchasing furniture from him again. Great service and value (and no I wasn't paid to post this ad!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

Had great service from www.bigmickey.ie today. I actually purchased the bed over the phone yesterday and he delivered it for free to Christchurch Dublin 8 today. It was cheaper than the other beds we saw and excellent quality. He's a really nice genuine guy, great value and we will definately be purchasing furniture from him again. Great service and value (and no I wasn't paid to post this ad!)

hi gazelle girl, great first post.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

Hi all, am on the verge of spending a good bit of cash in Big Mickey's place this weekend, happened to mention it to a girl from that area & she was pretty negative about it - I showed her all the great reviews from Boards, so we had to agree to differ - I don't want to give any bad vibes about the place at all, I'm just hoping that the stuff & the prices are as fantastic as everyone says & that I get a great deal! with all the favourable posts on here, I'd be inclined to go for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

needing a new mattress. no idea what to get. who do people consider the best manafacturer, that would be available from mickey? seeing sealy mentioned a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

well i cant speak for anyone else but i got a good deal on a mattress from him and good communication all along re delivery and free collection of old mattress would recommend.

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

the corpo wrote: »
    needing a new mattress. no idea what to get. who do people consider the best manafacturer, that would be available from mickey? seeing sealy mentioned a lot

the one i bought was a rest assured 2400 spring king size mattress very happy with it, very comfy.

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

folks, will be in the market for a new mattress soon, whats the best one he offers (so i can look at reviews) in kingsize and what kind of money am i looking at,

we spent over a grand on a mattress five years ago and its in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

I'm looking for a decent, not too soft not too hard double mattress. Any tips? Would prefer not to have to head out to Longford to take a look, anything would be better than the bed I have at the minute.

Good luck with the shopping Oscar. Well worth checking it out for yourself. I was just really impressed with the prompt service, quality and value. I had read about it on boards and joined especially to let others know about how great it is. The fact the bed was delivered on a bank holiday and I didn't have to take time off work was an added bonus. I will definately shop there again. Also nice to give costum to small businesses in the recession. Happy Shopping

• Advertisement

I dont know his prices for kingsize. We got a hilton double bed with mattress for 300 euro. You could look at the reviews of those I guess. The mattress itself is a foot thick and really comfy. Hope this helps. I was caught for time so I rang him and he talked me through the options. He tells you all the makes he has and the prices over the phone and you can look them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Totally agree with the above post, dropped into his Big Mickey's shop yesterday and even though he was busy loading a van he took the time to show me around the whole shop for divan bases and headboards. Settled on two top quality single divans with drawers and a super king size leather headboard all for just €400 delivered. Had I arrived 30 minutes earlier I would have received the order same day on a bank holiday!!! Got the order today, the bed is setup and looks great. Kudos to Big Mickey, will shop again.
    emo72 wrote: »
    hi gazelle girl, great first post.:D

Haters gonna hate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

rivalius13 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a decent, not too soft not too hard double mattress. Any tips? Would prefer not to have to head out to Longford to take a look, anything would be better than the bed I have at the minute.

Find a bed you want in Arnotts, Clearys or some other shop, then phone up Big Mickey and see if he has the same mattress in stock and compare prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Dropped up to BigMickeys with the wife on Saturday and had a good look around the shop with the help of Mick. We currently have a pure memory foam mattress which is now well past it sell by date.

We settled on a Pocket Sprung 2400 Latex mattress from the bed company and got a superb price on it. No pressure to buy or anything of the sort we also got some good quality pillows thrown in as well.

It was delivered literally 30 mins ago and it really shows how poor my current mattress was, when you compare the weight and quality of the one just delivered.

All I can say is, it was absolute pleasure doing business with Mick, companies in Ireland could really learn allot from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

All... Can anyone tell me what Mickey's selection is like of single beds and that they aren't all divans?

We want to move the kids around a little now as we need to get the youngest into larger cot in his own room. We likely need 2 x good singles that will do them for a good few years and good mattresses are a must.

Not massively keen on divan's but at same time less edges for kids to crack heads off when bouncing about, except for the floor I guess! Undecided but would like to check first if its worth a trip up.

Thanks
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

Had a look in a local furniture & bed shop today, came across the K2 sleep spa gel mattress range, very nice indeed, I know they're on the market a few years but don't know anyone who's had one, and it's hard to find decent reviews online - has anyone any experience of them - wonder would it be something Big Mickey would have in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

Was down with Mickey there yesterday and made a purchase of a 2400 Pocket Sprung mattress - spent a while there with him going through the range of mattress he had. :D:D:D

Ended up going with this one Pocket Sprung 2400 mattress it is no way comparable to my old bed. Which on delivery of my new mattress he took the old one away.

The mattress is a dream to sleep on - if the other half moves or even gets up off the bed, because of the amount of pocket springs my side does not move.

I purchased this mattress at 3:20pm and had it delivered the same day by 5:15pm and just to let you's know I dont live right beside the place: I'm 82km away thats 50miles in old money. (less than 2 hours)

So just to recap - cannot fault this guy one bit a sound chap knowledgeable to the utmost on the thing your there for "THE MATTRESS"

MY PURCHASE: A 2400 Pocket Sprung Mattress from the pocket spring company. Costing me a little under 50% of what I could find the same Kingsize mattress for online and that was without delivery.

Will deal with Mickey in the future.......If only more businesses in Ireland worked this way. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How much was the Pocket Sprung 2400.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Cyrus wrote: »
    folks, will be in the market for a new mattress soon, whats the best one he offers (so i can look at reviews) in kingsize and what kind of money am i looking at,

we spent over a grand on a mattress five years ago and its in bits

:D:D:D:D:D:D much used bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

So, decided Wednesday to order a bed from Mickey. Went with the Hilton double. He had it down to me first thing Thursday morning, great to deal with and a great price. Two nights sleep in it and they've been GREAT, so much better than the bed I had. So that's another thumbs up for Big Mickey then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement