Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pakal

Has anyone any experience of the K3 Gel mattresses? Are they durable or just a fad

Thanks Pakal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hello All,

Well myself, wifey and kids finally made the trip down to see Mickey yesterday afternoon. Have passed his place so many times when driving to Sligo for work.

Have to say all the stories are true - Mickey was great to deal with and very helpful; in fact couldn't believe how much time he was prepared to give and ensure we were happy with what we were getting. The kids were hopping all over the place too and not a problem.

We hung around a good while as the more I walked around the more nuggets of bargains I came across. One thing is for sure though and that this is the place to go for a good mattress at a very good price!

We came away with 2 good Sealy single's for the kids new bed's, I also got a fantastic corner display unit in ash and I honestly could not understand how it was so cheap! Wife plumped for a nice "tub" chair for the bedroom which will replace the cot that's moving out - we will be playing musical beds with kids this week as they are all moving around.

To top it all all off Mickey gave my wife a bottle of red as we left - what a true gentleman.

Talked to Mickey on way out for a while and I will be back for more stuff as soon as I know more on what I want. I would have actually got a new mattress for our bed but needed to go to my XLS first to see how I can afford it:o

Anyway, all said if you are in the market for anything bed related or maybe want to look for some other bits and pieces for the house then its worth a trip down. Only about an hour off the M50 and there is a McDonald's 2 mins back the road in Longford so you can head there afterwards if you have the kids with you.

To confirm directions - just go straight all the way towards Sligo - 2nd exit on all roundabouts at Longford bypass. Once you pass Homebase, McD's etc (Keeping them on your left at all times) then Mickey is about 2-3 mins up the road beyond.

Another happy customer:D

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Another satisfied Customer :)

Called Mick 2 weeks ago enquiring about a king mattress. I was looking for a combination foam and spring. He had one in stock and I found out it retailled at £3,100 in the UK ! (Harrison).

Travelled down a couple of days later to see it for myself. Mick opened up the shop especially for me and called me a couple of times on the way down just to check where I was. I of course drove straight by the place !

Anyway tried the mattress and within about 30 seconds of me lying on the mattress I decided to purchase.

Next was a new base and headboard.

Out the back of the shop to some containers overflowing with Stuart Jones Headboards.... I couldn't decide on a specific one and got it down to a choice of 3 .. Mick said I could take them home and decide which one to take and he would take the other 2 back once he delivered the mattress.

We wanted a new base that had drawers but Mick had none in stock. Quick phone call while I was there and he had arranged a base to be picked up from the UK and sent over to him next day.

Mick then called me then to say the base that they had sent didn't have drawers but he had sourced another one .. which in the end actually was a much higher spec than the one I wanted at the same price :)

Mick arrived to my house especially last Thursday (he had no other Dublin deliveries that day) after picking up the new base at 7am and then over to me. Mattress/Base and Headboard all delivered and setup by Mick, removed the old bed/base and headboard and packaging.

We sat down for a cup of tea and started discussing a new sofa which is next on my list.

Needless to say I slept like a log on the new mattress that night and even when the alarm went off the following morning I just did not want to get up .. ended up being 30 mins late for work ...

Following day he called me to say that he had a delivery of new leather suites with recliners and he could email me pictures which he did with some great prices. He also enquired how I slept on the new mattress :)

An absolute gent to deal with and would highly recommend. No pushy sales talk just honest and straight.

Going to arrange to go back down in the next week or so to pick out a new suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Going to back up everything said on this thread so far. Recently moved house and needed a new bed and some bits of furniture. Called to Airside in Swords to Harvey Normans and Frank McGowans and also kept an eye on the Arnotts bank holiday sales.Anyway wasnt very impressed with the prices available and service particularly in Harvey Normans. So we headed up to Longford the next day to check out what Mickey had to offer!Anyway after settling on a price we were happy with, we got a fantastic harrison King size divan bed with drawers in the base, 2 lockers, headboard a leather couch and a few other bits and pieces all for the same price we would have paid for a bed along in Harvey Normans!2 days later our goods were delivered and to say mick is a good man for customer service would be an understatement! We had the poor fella climbing over an old rickety wooden balcony to get the furniture into the house. Nothing was too much and our old stuff was all taken away all with a smile. We fed him and sent him on his way to do a another 2 deliveries that evening!Anyway, cant recommend enough and will definitely be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

Still haven't managed to get up to view the mattresses in Longford, but will echo pakal's query from yesterday - has anyone any experience of the gel mattresses? The Harrison ones look fab, do the ones that Mick sells for 700 have pillow/foam tops on them? cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DeaKat

I just wanted to add our experience with Big Mickey- I came across this thread online about 6 weeks ago and as we were looking for a new SuperKing mattress (and got a 'possible' delivery date of FIVE months or so from Cost Plus Sofas in Portlaoise)- I decided to give Mick a ring. I called and got him straight away and he told us he had just recieved a new delivery from the UK and that it included Harrison beds (@4,000 pocket springs, memory foam topping- just what we were looking for). We drove down to Longford to have a look and ended up buying the mattress for 900 euro (retails at 5000 sterling in the UK!). Mick delivered it to us later that week (no charge), helped bring it in the house, and called the following week to make sure we were happy! I can't overstate the customer service experience with this man- His idea of customer service is absolutely great- pity other Irish businesses cant model themselves on this family business! (His daughter rang us up at the till and made us a cup of tea and biccies while we shopped) would definately do business with him again! (In fact, now my parents are off to buy their living room suite from him!)

Forgot to say he also threw in 30 euro of fitted sheets for nothing as well :))

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

has anyone any photos of the beds they bought, really thinking of upgrading my bed in next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

Not trying to hijack the thread but any opinions on my ealier post -
    Hi,

Looking for a new mattress trying to balance price and qualitybiggrin.gif
    I came across this mattress -

http://www.mattress.ie/mattresses/super-king-mattresses/silentnight-ortho-backcare-super-king-mattress.html

Its 424 but you also get 10% off, if you like them on facebook..
    Any opinions on this mattress?
    I went for the firm/ortho matress as have had back problems in the past.
    Is it decent value and decent quality?
    Im not really looking at top of the range stuff,my upper limit would be 500ish...

Any help appreciated! confused.gif
    F

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've been following this thread with interest and I'm going to go take at look at the range he has, but I'm a little skeptical about some of the comments (and I'm totally open to correction)

For example :
    I called and got him straight away and he told us he had just recieved a new delivery from the UK and that it included Harrison beds (@4,000 pocket springs, memory foam topping- just what we were looking for). We drove down to Longford to have a look and ended up buying the mattress for 900 euro (retails at 5000 sterling in the UK!)
    I did a quick google (i.e. I did not do a lot of searching) and the Harrison Sensation mattress is available for £1049 here. I know 900 Euro is cheaper but claiming it costs £5000 in UK is a bit over the top.

I'm just wondering about some of the posts, and like I said, I'm totally open to correction and if I do go and look at his selection of stuff I will post back here

• Advertisement

@DeaKat - I though it was the mattress you bought as you already provided a link to a "Memory Tailor Sensation" (http://www.harrisonbeds.co.uk/DB/Collections_-_Memory_Tailor/Sensation.html) and I linked to a "Memory Tailor Sensation" (https://www.beds1st.co.uk/viewProducts.asp?prodId=652&submit=view+NOW%21).

Sorry - but am I missing something ?

@deadlock- nope, your not missing anything- I posted that link (and a reply to your msg, which I then deleted- with a screaming toddler at my feet sorry) THIS is the correct link (and the right spring count!) The extra 1,000 pounds includes the divan base - so properly the mattress I bought for 900 retails at 4,000 pounds- sorry for the confusion! I would advise you to go down and see for yourself if you are at all skeptical :)

(http://www.johnlewis.com/231119188/Product.aspx?SearchTerm=RecentlyViewedList)

Ah - OK. Makes sense now ! Thanks for the clarification - might try and make it over there tomorrow at some stage

^^^

So where do your two posts leave us? Assume the one on John Lewis is the same Harrison one..:confused:

So what's the one posted for £1049? Can ye both explain yourselves to the audience.

I am intrigued now.. and interested too in one of these mattresses:D

What chu talkin bout Willis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

^^^

So where do your two posts leave us? Assume the one on John Lewis is the same Harrison one..:confused:

So what's the one posted for £1049? Can ye both explain yourselves to the audience.
    Thought it was obvious? She bought a mattress for €1k that's selling in John Lewis for €4k?

I notice everyone here is raving about his beds. But, has anyone bought any furniture off him, is it not as good value maybe? I am looking for a fabric-type corner unit and a coffee table.

Also, does he do a complete set of bedroom furniture (lockers, heardboard, wardrobe?).

I notice everyone here is raving about his beds. But, has anyone bought any furniture off him, is it not as good value maybe? I am looking for a fabric-type corner unit and a coffee table.

Yep, I got an ash corner display cabinet. Very solid and well built - €299! Honestly would expect this to sell for big money and was really happy to get it. Each glass shelf was individually packed in plywood to keep it safe. Have bought a fair few pieces of ash furniture over the years and its never been this cheap - even when I went to the factory in Monaghan and got it direct.

Thanks Mickey;)

Thought it was obvious? She bought a mattress for €1k that's selling in John Lewis for €4k?

Yeah, thats what I was thinking but seemed to be a few links posted and wasn't sure. Both mattresses look nice to me - John Lewis must be making some mark up's on that stuff! At least Dick Turpin wore a mask:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

just to join the chorus, got a mattress from mick tonight, am delighted with it. our bed has unusual dimensions, and mick reckoned he could have even got me a mattress made to order if the ones needed didn't suit.

was quite the experience meeting the man himself, he was like a human whirlwind, i was fit to collapse after we were done. had the mattress up to our 2nd story apartment and in place, and was gone again in 5 minutes. even got me to lay on it in the street to make sure it was ok!

but yes, thumbs up, would use again in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Gonna have to take a spin if only to check out this Mick fella.

Anyone bought a Super King or seen any prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 uxak

i got a superking divan set with head board for 600 euro of him. pocket sprung with memory top matress. very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just chiming in my 2cents here for Big Mickey aswell, came up from Dublin to his shop on Wednesday, he wasnt even officially open and was able to spare a good hour or so with me and the gf to have a goo around and help us in our search for a bed, in the end we opted for a big feck off pine yoke, think it was originally a grand on the house of fraser website, he gave it to us for 400, and the mattress he wanted 450 for and gave to us for 400 quid, all in all a great trip down and well worth the petrol fare.... he even gave us a bottle of wine aswell, an absolute gentleman through and through...

He delivered it to us personally last night at about 9PM in Dublin and even gave us a dig out setting it up, a lovely man and I aint got a bad word to say, would recommend him to anyone here on boards....

He is also looking out for a corner suite of leather furniture for us aswell....

Big up Big Mickey! lol....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CatMH

Anyone know if Big Mickey is back in Ireland/at the shop at the minute? Has anyone been in contact with him recently? I sent him an email about 10 days ago asking him to price items for me that i saw on the website after reading about him here and he said he was away in UK purchasing. I don't want to keep hounding him if he is still away. I know I could send an email but just thought i would put it out here first!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

I was down there at the weekend and he mentioned that he was in the UK that week. A terrible nice fella and cut me a good deal on a mattress which I am waiting to be delivered. He did say he couldnt get this delivered until Friday as he is on hols until then so this might be of help to you.

Top Man :) but i will hold off on how good the mattress is until I have had 40winks but it was definately a good price

That's great, will hold of until the weekend so, if he is away on holidays. Not in any major panic for the prices but would be good to have them sooner rather than later.
    Have read so much positive things about him on here so hope he lives up to his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Yeah, I was looking for him also. His daughter answered the phone and said he will be back in the shop Friday morning. She also said that there will be alot of new stuff arriving. Hope this answers your query.

That's great The Gride, will send my email to him again so its top of the list when he returns in the morning!! Might even spin down to him on Saturday, think i will be in Longford for work so i will go across if i have time. see this new stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

i heard locally hes off for some stock in spain so should be back soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement