Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

Just purchased a Silentnight Miracoil 3 kingsize mattress off Michael for the princely sum of €135 delivered. Not the biggest purchase of anyone on here but a hell of a lot cheaper than anywhere else i priced one ( 200 odd euro cheaper to be exact ) Big thumbs up to him and will defo be purchasing again in the future. Delivery tomorrow evening so will have a nice new mattress to fall unconscious on tomorrow night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

I got a really good quality Sealy Kingsize Mattress from www.bigmickey.ie yesterday for what I think is a great price - Euro 299 including delivery to Dublin.

Ive been pricing mattresses for a couple of months and found out about mick from bargain alerts here. I see the original thread was closed by mods so I cant thank unklerosso the original poster for the alert so am posting my thanks here!

Mick definately gave me a great bargain in my book and great service, the deal was done over the phone no problems. I just described what I wanted Mick sourced this mattress for me, delivery was great on time etc and he even just rang me today to see if everything was ok - In my book definately a bargain - sealy @ 299 kingsize - check out Mick before making a purchase I will fully recommend him to anyone and will definately buy from him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Does Big Mickey actually pay for any advertising or just depend on newbies on here giving their good accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Pj! wrote: »
    Does Big Mickey actually pay for any advertising or just depend on newbies on here giving their good accounts?

He advertises on donedeal etc a good bit and word of mouth... I've sent him a load of business from boardsies and a load of my mates have gone down to him.

I'm heading down to him this weekend to get a new bed n a few bits for the spare room...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

Well PJ with all due respect if thats directed at me - Im not a newbie here - been a member of here and adverts for years - when boards was hacked I lost my old login like everyone else but didnt merge it with my new one.

The thread is called good deal on beds/matresses - I was alerting people to a good deal I got and good service and also wanted to thank the op as I never heard of the vendor until I read his thread - thats the whole point of this great part of boards - helping each other out to bargains. Anyway I guess this whole bargain alerts part of boards is a sort of advertising as people name where bargains can be got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

I am also skeptical about the way newbies (no one in particular) kept cropping up in a previous thread and again on this one. And his advertising on done-deal was very very generic. Advertising his monthly huge sales.

One of the most disappointing trips Ive made was to get to Edgeworthstown on the back of the recommendations here. I could have been the unlucky one, but not only were the beds disappointing but the furniture also.

But, given that he is now advertising on adverts, everyone can see for themselves and make their judgments from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭podge3

Is Bigmickey open to haggling? I've seen some of his stuff on Donedeals and may be interested if I can get a few more € off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Invincible

podge3 wrote: »
    Is Bigmickey open to haggling? I've seen some of his stuff on Donedeals and may be interested if I can get a few more € off.

Of course he is! All ex-car salesmen are! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

I'm not going to give my feedback again as I gave lots of details in the previous thread that was closed, about all the bargains I got off Mick. I've referred all my friends to him and the worst I've heard back was that "he didnt have what I was looking for, but he said he'd see what he could do".
    I think over 25000 people viewed that thread and there now seems to be almost 4000 views on this one. Now I haven't read all posts, but I have read alot of them and I wouldn't be too far out in saying that they were over 90 % extremely positive feedback. Alot were from long time members of boards, even a few admins, and some were from newbies. Does that mean the feedback is of less validity because the user was new, or is there some suggestion that the whole thing is a very well run marketing campaign? Either ways what I have gleaned from shutting down of the previous thread and sustained effort to shut this one down, is that there is more at play here than us general boards user's are being made aware of? Maybe the competition sees almost 30,000 targeted hits with positive feedback being displayed so publicly and so free that it irks them a little. Maybe somebodies thinking they should be paid/rewarded for this level of advertising/exposure. I dont know and I dont really care. I love boards for the gathering of minds and information that it is. From the free tech support I get, to wasting a half an hour reading the personal issues section, to being able to give out directly to a member of vodafone and get a response, and above all being able to inform other people of my experiences in any field and give my feedback positive or negative in any area. I've discovered loads of cheap offers on bargain alerts from the early days of cdwow hong kong to cheap furniture in longford (Not edgeworthstown) and I'd hate to think there was anything that might try in anyway to subdue that free flow of public information.
    As Ken Brochman would say, "Thats my two cents!"
    And I dare anyone call me a newbie!!

I'm happy to say that I have now joined the long list of Big Mick's satisfied customers.

I traveled today to his premises from my home in Co. Tipp. It was a bit of a trek but well worth it. He had been very helpful over the phone and had sent pics of what I was hoping to buy.

I drove away with a top of the range bed for a fraction of the price I would have paid for it elsewhere. I didn't like the headboard so he swapped it for a much more expensive one for no extra charge.

I can't really understand why some posters on here are questioning Micks good feedback. I contacted him for the first time last Friday after seeing this thread and I am happy to report that he is as good as almost everyone on here says he is.

BTW, I have been on Boards for over 8 years so I think I have passed the newbie stage :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I was back down at the weekend, picked myself up one of these
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6607294/Trail/searchtext%3EGUEST+BED.htm

And got new duvets, pillows, sheets and a good few other bits that the missus wanted. I totted the total price I should have paid at around €480. I paid less that what the bed alone costs on the Argos website, and it was delivered today.. I was only down with him yesterday! Great service again...

unklerosco wrote: »
    I was back down at the weekend, picked myself up one of these
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6607294/Trail/searchtext%3EGUEST+BED.htm

And got new duvets, pillows, sheets and a good few other bits that the missus wanted. I totted the total price I should have paid at around €480. I paid less that what the bed alone costs on the Argos website, and it was delivered today.. I was only down with him yesterday! Great service again...
    A van left just before I arrived so that was probably heading in your direction.

My mrs also picked up a full set of bedding stuff - at a bargain price.

And Mick gave me a bottle of vino on the way out the door. I'm enjoying a glass now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krrh

i am also an extremely happy customer of Mick's.

After reading the previous on here ovr the weekend, me the hubby & the kids decided to go on a "road trip" from Dublin on sunday to visit 'big mickey'

when we got there we had a look round the showroom and then after about 10/15 mins i spoke to Mick who was very helpful, in the end i bought a gorgeous 4'6" bed from him at an excellent price. Also got sheets, pillows, rug & picture for my sons bedroom all of whihc were at rock bottom prices!!

When i was paying i asked when will it be delivered and they said early in the week which i was delighted with but then on sunday night when i got home i got a txt to say it would be delivered the next day, then on monday i got a phone call to say that it would be with me soon, then a txt to say that the driver was on his way to swords and then he was coming to me and then i also got a call from the delivery driver to say that he was leaving swords!

Couldnt fault the service at all, Mick is so friendly and the customer service he provides is faultless - a lot of other companies could learn a thing or two from him!!

Highly recommend him to anyone!

Will def be getting other furniture from him in the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Guys, I'm on the lookout for an oak tv unit (or something similar) and a couple of glass dispaly cases (oak) - anyone been there recently advise on what he has in stock at the moment? Anyone spotted any?
    Am heading to Dublin tomorrow and could detour en-route to this place but don't want to make it a wasted trip.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Only wrote: »
    Guys, I'm on the lookout for an oak tv unit (or something similar) and a couple of glass dispaly cases (oak) - anyone been there recently advise on what he has in stock at the moment? Anyone spotted any?
    Am heading to Dublin tomorrow and could detour en-route to this place but don't want to make it a wasted trip.
    Thanks!

Just give him a bell and he'll tell you before you call. It'll save you the trip. I showed him around my house when he delivered the first bed and told him the rough idea of what I'd be looking and he's been picking me up bits and pieces ever since!

Only wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for ...a couple of glass dispaly cases (oak) - anyone been there recently advise on what he has in stock at the moment? Anyone spotted any?
    Actually he has quite a few in his shop ATM. I saw them last Monday when I was down with him. I wasn't in the market for any but the cheap prices caught my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi.

Went to Comfort Beds today in Tallaght looking for a super king size in the high end. Heres' the prices I came out with:

Sealy Plantnium Range:
    Clark Haven €565
    Ceder Grove €619

Sealy Gold Range:
    Cumbrian Medow €469

Sealy Millionaire Ortho €285

Rest Assured:
    Silver Moon 1400 Spring Latex €519
    Blue Lilly 1000 Sprint Memory Foam €469
    Ortho 1000 Spring No Foam €369

Some excellient prices to be honest and does give big mickey a run for his money, Factoring in the cost of fuel to get to Longford from Dublin and delivery as required i'm not sure if bigmikey is better, that said I have put it to him to see if he can come back with a 2400 spring latex top mattress for the same as Comfort Beds are doing the 1400 for. I did ask the sales agent who was very friendly if they were transport damaged beds etc, he claims they are not and they are baically acting as a factory outlet for the SilentNight Group as all companies i.e Rest Assured, Sealy and SilentNight are part of said Group.

But I have to say, I would rate the Rest Assured higher than the Sealy Cushion top, it was a bit too much for me, i'm only 80kg and it felt strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Are comfort beds in the same place as Woodies, Lidl etc? Want to get a memory foam mattress.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi.

Went to Comfort Beds today in Tallaght looking for a super king size in the high end. Heres' the prices I came out with:

Sealy Plantnium Range:
    Clark Haven €565
    Ceder Grove €619

Sealy Gold Range:
    Cumbrian Medow €469

Rest Assured:

Some excellient prices to be honest and does give big mickey a run for his money, Factoring in the cost of fuel to get to Longford from Dublin and delivery as required i'm not sure if bigmikey is better, that said I have put it to him to see if he can come back with a 2400 spring latex top mattress for the same as Comfort Beds are doing the 1400 for. I did ask the sales agent who was very friendly if they were transport damaged beds etc, he claims they are not and they are baically acting as a factory outlet for the SilentNight Group as all companies i.e Rest Assured, Sealy and SilentNight are part of said Group.

But I have to say, I would rate the Rest Assured higher than the Sealy Cushion top, it was a bit too much for me, i'm only 80kg and it felt strange.

are those Sealy prices for mattress and base? base with drawers?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

there is a new furniture and bedding shop in Mullingar opposite Expert electrical they are worth looking at, some good opening offers

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    are those Sealy prices for mattress and base? base with drawers?

Hi.

No, that was mattress only, I think it was about another 100 or so for a matching base with drawers. I think the €565 Clark Haven was €675 with the divan which had drawers.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hi.

No, that was mattress only, I think it was about another 100 or so for a matching base with drawers. I think the €565 Clark Haven was €675 with the divan which had drawers.

still very good, thanks for that. Have they a similar selection in king did you notice by any chance?

copacetic wrote: »
    still very good, thanks for that. Have they a similar selection in king did you notice by any chance?

Yeah, he had them in all sizes, he had the entire Sealy range per their UK site. Including one I sat on in Harvey Normans for €1700 for the mattress only, the likes of Harvery Normans and Dreams in the UK have their own tag put on the mattress so you can't price match it as only they have it. They only had four Rest Assured. The three I mentioned and a fourth which was not available in Super Kingsize and also the entire Silent Night range.

I was more interested in the Rest Assured though to be honest as it is a pocket sprung mattress which the Sealy and Silent Night are not. The Sealys actually use the exact same coil system as the Miracoil beds, Posture tech = Miracoil and I wanted the independent springs of the Rest Assured Range but as I said he did only carry four in that range so I will be heading down to Bigmickeys to see what he can do.

But still some amazing beds and I did think the prices were very good, been researching it since and can't find them cheaper on any UK sites. The Sealy Millenium Ortho is crazy money in the UK but €285 here but as he did say, they are an outlet for the factory in the UK.

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Are comfort beds in the same place as Woodies, Lidl etc? Want to get a memory foam mattress.

Hi,

No, you take that turn alright, down to the round about, right and then right into the ind est and there is a small round about in the IND est. They are on the roundabout. Can't miss them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

Hi.

Sealy Plantnium Range:
    Clark Haven €565
    Ceder Grove €619

Sealy Gold Range:
    Cumbrian Medow €469

Rest Assured:

i note that the 1400 spring latex is 519 in your post, you should not have any difficiulty getting the 2400 from big mickey for less than Comfort Bed's price, as i like others here on boards got them for 500euro brand new from big mickey... see my other posts, At that sale he was offering all sizes (double, king, superking) all new for 500... no waiting for delivery like other shops and he took away my old mattress for free.

i note that the 1400 spring latex is 519 in your post, you should not have any difficiulty getting the 2400 from big mickey for less than Comfort Bed's price, as i like others here on boards got them for 500euro brand new from big mickey... see my other posts, At that sale he was offering all sizes (double, king, superking) all new for 500... no waiting for delivery like other shops and he took away my old mattress for free.

Hi.

Yes as I said I would be speaking with him and he has offered the manafactured for Dreams (So they don't have to honour their price guarentee) Rest Assured Sicily 2400 Spring Count Latex topped mattress for €500 new or €375 transport marked. I will be going down to him on Paddies day so will update everyone but most likely will go for the transport marked and its going into a wooden bed frame anyway.

Very happy with the price and very interested to see the place, a lot of family and friends are listening very closely on this one to see how it turns out.

Crafty-Chel, did you purchase a mattress from him, if so, do you mind releaving which one and how you find it.

Regards

I bought a Rest Assured Sicily 2400 latex top kingsize (just checked the label for u). Its so comfy.The hardest thing is getting up in the mornings. I see you are considering buying a transport marked one. These seem a good buy. I could not tell the difference between some of the new ones and the transport marked ones when I was there TBH. In alot of cases, the only difference appeared to be the price. Best of luck in your search.

Incase this is of interest to you or anybody else, a neighbour of mine who recently returned from the uk was recommended by a top uk surgeon to get the following

http://www.backinaction.co.uk/?action=mirrorformquote&productcodes=BIA%20MF%20160

RRP £1699 (on offer £1122 incl VAT)
    Bigmickey Price €500 and was instock for immediate delivery.

Thanks for the info. Just one quick question, did you have any issues with the latex top sagging, I see a few complaints about this happening on the Rest Assured site and it seems to be specific to the Sicily Model, of course it could just be a batch issue in the past now.

Thanks.

Unlike some other mattresses ,you can't turn these type of mattress due to the position of the topper. In time there can be some body imprint in the topper part but it should not affect the quality of the sleep you get. I suspect it also depends on the weight of the individual person. Hope this is helpful. I would not part with mine for any other mattress. I totally love it. Did you buy anything yourself yet ?

• Advertisement

Unlike some other mattresses ,you can't turn these type of mattress due to the position of the topper. In time there can be some body imprint in the topper part but it should not affect the quality of the sleep you get. I suspect it also depends on the weight of the individual person. Hope this is helpful. I would not part with mine for any other mattress. I totally love it. Did you buy anything yourself yet ?

Hi Crafty-Chel.

Yes, went down today and was very impressed, opening the shop on St Patrick's day of all days, picked up a Sicily mattress and Mick sorted me out with a fitted sheet he had specially made for the same price as a standard sheet. Very happy, just made a comment about it been cold and a minute later there was tea and biscuits, also ended buying a foot stool, chest of drawer and a full set of kingsize bed linens, duvet etc. Very happy with the deal and worth the hours drive easily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement