Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Thread full of women talking about their rings and no innuendos?

Not even a Beyonce gag and there's even a user called Sasha Fierce!

What has happened to this forum at all .. :p

Anyway, I think it's more important for the man to spend some time choosing the ring than anything else. I would think the fact that he went into twenty jewellers and bought the ring he liked best and thought that she would like best also, was more important than what it cost.

My OH has banned that Beyonce song in our house from now on. He said he has put a fúcking ring on it and his reward is never having to hear it ever again. It's a fair trade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

I went to south Africa to get my fiancé’s ring, great value, we picked the most beautiful ring we've ever seen for 7k. i went with a budget in mind and we literally looked at 100s of rings and this was the one. if it could have cost 70 euro or 7k it didn’t matter it was the one that just spoke to us. valued it here for 11k, sweet as!

2 weeks spend travelling around the amazing landscape of SA, and a superb ring thrown in, can't beat that!

I would be a big advocator of picking the ring together. A woman shouldn’t have a ball park cost in her head really, my G/F was just delighted I proposed to her. I could have given her tin-foil and she would have been happy but I wanted to get her a fab ring and in reality that will cost a bit more but she’ll have it for life so I really don’t mind the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Thankfully my OH isnt a money obsessed compeditive type. shed kill me if i spent loads of money. Theres no way i'd get a diamond for her anyway, too many shady deals being done in that industry, besides amethyst is a much more beautiful stone.

i have friends who are silver smiths so id get one of them to make it for me. or suggest a tattoo

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    I went to south Africa to get my fiancé’s ring, great value, we picked the most beautiful ring we've ever seen for 7k. i went with a budget in mind and we literally looked at 100s of rings and this was the one. if it could have cost 70 euro or 7k it didn’t matter it was the one that just spoke to us. valued it here for 11k, sweet as!

2 weeks spend travelling around the amazing landscape of SA, and a superb ring thrown in, can't beat that!

I would be a big advocator of picking the ring together. A woman shouldn’t have a ball park cost in her head really, my G/F was just delighted I proposed to her. I could have given her tin-foil and she would have been happy but I wanted to get her a fab ring and in reality that will cost a bit more but she’ll have it for life so I really don’t mind the cost.

My €40 ring is from South Africa too :P We're actually having two weddings and one of them will be in Johannesburg as that's where my fiance is fun. Combining an engagement with a trip around SA is definitely amazing and I'd definitely recommend it too. I had a blast! He proposed in front of a giant statue of Nelson Mandela. We feel we have his blessing now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Paid €3000 for my Fiance's ring, it's a cracking ring, worth every cent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Swampy wrote: »
    Alot of cheap asses out there. If you can afford to spend a good bit, do it. Just spend what you can afford. I'm my opinion it's not worth skimping on as it will be worn for a lifetime.
    People and their status symbols :rolleyes:

Sometimes I'm glad the Celtic Tiger died, maybe folks will figure out what's actually important again (hint: it's not a flash car or a diamond ring).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Was wondering about this myself as am going ring shopping soon...

I make about $100k-$120k per year, but theres no way I am dropping 35k on a ring.
    A third was NEVER the "done thing", it was 1.5 or 2 months, but likewise theres not a chance I am spending 10k or even 5k on a ring.

Ridiculous. I will pick her up a nice 1.5-2 carat round cut platinum or white gold carat ring, tasteful, durable(!), not tacky and I will spend 1000$ or 1500$ and she will love it.

Anyways I don´t even know if I want to spend cash on a diamond, I dont like the "idea" of diamonds.

If you think you are going to get a 1.5-2 carat ring for 1000 to 1500 you are sorely mistaken unless you are flying to SA to dig it out of the side of a mountain yourself.

or suggest a tattoo

lol that has to be the pikeyist thing i've ever heard. matching celtic crosses or lol!

watna wrote: »
    My €40 ring is from South Africa too :P We're actually having two weddings and one of them will be in Johannesburg as that's where my fiance is fun. Combining an engagement with a trip around SA is definitely amazing and I'd definitely recommend it too. I had a blast! He proposed in front of a giant statue of Nelson Mandela. We feel we have his blessing now. :)

sounds lovely i proposed at sun set looking off the cliff in Hermanus,

Sublime!!

Was wondering about this myself as am going ring shopping soon...

I make about $100k-$120k per year, but theres no way I am dropping 35k on a ring.
    A third was NEVER the "done thing", it was 1.5 or 2 months, but likewise theres not a chance I am spending 10k or even 5k on a ring.

Ridiculous. I will pick her up a nice 1.5-2 carat round cut platinum or white gold carat ring, tasteful, durable(!), not tacky and I will spend 1000$ or 1500$ and she will love it.

Anyways I don´t even know if I want to spend cash on a diamond, I dont like the "idea" of diamonds.

lol at this this guy must be on drugs if he thinks he can get a 2kr ring for 2k lol. try 20k bud. and that not even taking into account colour and clarity. lol good laugh!

• Advertisement

sounds lovely i proposed at sun set looking off the cliff in Hermanus,

Sublime!!

Sounds lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

lol at this this guy must be on drugs if he thinks he can get a 2kr ring for 2k lol. try 20k bud. and that not even taking into account colour and clarity. lol good laugh!

http://www.ethanjewelry.com/index.php?/Round-Solitaire-Rings/2.00-Ct.-Round-Diamond-Solitaire-Ring-14k-White-Gold/flypage.tpl.html?Itemid=

"bud". lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

3 MONTHS!!!

madness and stupidity right there.. So you spend a quarter of your salary on a ring - where does the money come from for the wedding? Irish celtic tiger-ism written all over this thread - everyone in here will be bitching about the increases in taxes/cost of living in other threads.

And for the ladies that 'expect' 10k to be spent on their ring. Holy ****, thank god I never met a person like you. horrible human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

High Maintenance?
    Unless a bloke is either loaded, and/or a complete idiot, spending this money so the girl can swan around her friends with a large gem is silly.
    You will also spend the rest of your life spending on them as they will 'expect' things, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

prinz wrote: »

"Clarity: I".

I assume (since it's not specified) that it's an I3, which the lowest category.

IMO 2 carats looks stupidly big on a finger (unless it's really fat) but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I dont get all this "youre supposed to spend this much on bla bla"!! Each to their own but once the ring was nice and some thought had gone into it I actually wouldnt give a crap how much it cost... Same goes for wedding stuff, you dont have to overspend to have a good wedding and people put a lot of pressure on themselves to keep up with their friends/family..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

We go engaged when we were still in college so my ring is cheap as chips but I love it. Himself as offered several times to buy me a new ring/change the stones/band but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Girls in work recently got engaged and to hear them comparing prices is just ridiculous.

Lumen wrote: »
    "Clarity: I".
    I assume (since it's not specified) that it's an I3, which the lowest category..

May well be. Is she going to turn it down because of that? The poster this is in relation to said nothing about clarity.

Some people have more in their lives than worrying about the 'clarity' of their ring tbh. It's always hilarious when couples 'ring shopping' turn into amateur jewellers. Ditto with the people who insist on informing folk of how much their ring was appraised for at a later date. Are they going to sell it and pocket the profit? If not then it's meaningless. Don't understand it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I think it depends on the value of money to the person and their situation. If two people are millionaires they'll spend more than a couple on the dole.

Although saying that, if 10k was going to be spent on a ring for me i'd stop it immediately because I wouldn't want something that expensive on me, I never wear it and would be embarrassed if people found out.

I don't understand diamonds and the cost, I'd like a ring that was unique to me since i'd be "hopefully" wearing it for the rest of my life lol. Not sure if i'd want a diamond but i've always thought of diamonds as only for engagement rings so thats my bias.

I like the idea of the guy getting a watch when a girl gets a ring though.

Thankfully I won't have to think about this for years and years lol.

May well be. Is she going to turn it down because of that? The poster this is in relation to said nothing about clarity.

Some people have more in their lives than worrying about the 'clarity' of their ring tbh. It's always hilarious when couples 'ring shopping' turn into amateur jewellers. Ditto with the people who insist on informing folk of how much their ring was appraised for at a later date. Are they going to sell it and pocket the profit? If not then it's meaningless. Don't understand it myself.

The appeal of a diamond is in it's purity of form. Therefore, a big rock full of visible flaws has less appeal than a smaller one full of invisible flaws.

On the other hand, if the diamond has no instrinic appeal the whole concept of a diamond engagement ring is pointless.

• Advertisement

lol that has to be the pikeyist thing i've ever heard. matching celtic crosses or lol!

small circle on the upside of finger. and she is a traveller for your information so id ask to keep it manerly

Thankfully my OH isnt a money obsessed compeditive type...suggest a tattoo
    she is a traveller for your information so id ask to keep it manerly

: opens popcorn, sits back :

The appeal of a diamond is in it's purity of form. Therefore, a big rock full of visible flaws has less appeal than a smaller one full of invisible flaws. On the other hand, if the diamond has no instrinic appeal the whole concept of a diamond engagement ring is pointless.

Then again most people take one look and the novelty wears off. Not many pay enough attention to notice flaws etc. I don't understand the couples who get into the colour, clarity etc stuff myself as if they had a life-long interest in buying jewels, unless it's being bought as a financial investment.

It looks nice, shape suits her hand, she likes the ring itself. Problem solved. No need to spend a fortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you spend 2k on a piece of **** 2 carat ring then you're a fúcking moron.

If you spend 2k on a piece of **** 2 carat ring then you're a fúcking moron.

I'd say if you spend 2k on any sort of ring you're a fúcking moron, unless you plan on selling it for 3k later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

donfers wrote: »
    amazing how equality goes out the window and there is no campaign for change fromt the feminist mob and "sure, 'tis tradition" when the issue benefits women
    Define "feminist mob"? A lot of nagging women who constantly put down men and make huge demands of them are ironically the very same ones who can't cope with the idea of not having a man, and who would be very derogatory towards certain women, e.g. single ones, childless ones, promiscuous ones, women who dress sexily. Nothing "feminist mob" about that.
    Also, there are women who dislike traditions such as asking the father's permission (even if it's just symbolic) and when that's discussed in, say, the Ladies' Lounge you'll get a few lads piping up with the "No prob with an engagement ring from him though eh? ;)" remarks, whereas actually, no, many of those women wouldn't expect/want an engagement ring.
    Swampy wrote: »
    Alot of cheap asses out there.
    If a person considers a few grand for a ring to be a waste of money, that's just their personal preference - I don't see how it in any way indicates they're a cheap ass.
    If you can afford to spend a good bit, do it.
    Lest you be seen as a cheap ass?

I'd say if you spend 2k on any sort of ring you're a fúcking moron, unless you plan on selling it for 3k later.

Not that I would ever even think of spending anywhere near that much on anything that didnt have an engine but have you seen some of the other stuff 2 or 3 grand goes on at some weddings? at my sisters the meal cost more than that. At least they get to keep the ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some say "materialistic", some say "practical".
    Big difference between feeling more secure when a man has a job, and only going for rich guys though...

Well i wouldn't say she'd turn it down but the thing will look crap, big ring with highly visable flaws and marks, cracks. i've seen there rocks they look terrible.

never said i was an amateur jeweller either i just pointed out you couldn't buy a 2kr ring with good clarity and colour for 2k more like 20k see link

http://www.findmyrock.com/certificate-generator.php

not going to sell the ring either it's appraised for insurances purposes. can you understand that?
    nobody i know knows the price of the ring or what its valued for except maybe family members, i was pointing out the value you can get abroad when compared to ireland vastly over priced

if your finished being bitter and sad, i bid you adiue

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    If a person considers a few grand for a ring to be a waste of money, that's just their personal preference - I don't see how it in any way indicates they're a cheap ass.
    Lest you be seen as a cheap ass?

Personal preference works both ways. People do not just buy expensive rings to be seen to be spending. Some people just like having nice stuff.

It is perfectly possible to spend €5-10k on a foreign family holiday. A new car can lose €5k a year in depreciation. I know people whose cars depreciate at €2k per month. They earn money, they spend some of it on stuff they like.

What's the problem? Capitalism?

Advertisement