Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

With the current economic climate people can't afford to just splash 10k on an engagement ring. I know a couple who want a huge expensive wedding and are prepared to wait until they can either borrow/save for it, In realistic terms it's going to take them about five years before they can even think of it not to mention the pressure is putting a strain on them. If they had a small wedding they could do it soon like they want too. Engagement
    rings should not be about the price or the size of the rock if they are there's definitely a
    problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sibylla wrote: »
    With the current economic climate people can't afford to just splash 10k on an engagement ring. I know a couple who want a huge expensive wedding and are prepared to wait until they can either borrow/save for it, In realistic terms it's going to take them about five years before they can even think of it not to mention the pressure is putting a strain on them. If they had a small wedding they could do it soon like they want too. Engagement
    rings should not be about the price or the size of the rock if they are there's definitely a
    problem.

Could people really afford to even in good economic times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Could people really afford to even in good economic times?
    Actually good point but could people really afford most of their indulgences then? I think now the difference is people are more aware, have less disposable income and in general seem to be watching their spending. I think it's for the better 10k on a ring sounds crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sibylla wrote: »
    Actually good point but could people really afford most of their indulgences then? I think now the difference is people are more aware, have less disposable income and in general seem to be watching their spending. I think it's for the better 10k on a ring sounds crazy to me.

Agree and thats the point really, reading some of the points on this thread I have to wonder have people actually learnt any lessons.

Absolutely nothing wrong buying a 10k+ ring if you can easily afford it and its not going to impact in any way on your ability to pay your mortgage, kids etc... You purchase what you can afford and if the bride is put out, you are with the wrong person imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

History of engagement rings

Betrothal rings were used during Roman times, but weren't generally revived in the Western world until the 13th century. The first well-documented use of a diamond ring to signify engagement was by the Archduke Maximilian of Austria in imperial court of Vienna in 1477, upon his betrothal to Mary of Burgundy.
    Before the 20th century, other types of betrothal gifts were common. Before the end of the 19th century, the bride-to-be frequently received a sewing thimble rather than an engagement ring. This practice was particularly common among religious groups that shunned jewelry. Engagement rings didn't become standard in the West until the end of the 19th century, and diamond rings didn't become common until the 1930s. Now, 80% of American women are offered a diamond ring to signify engagement.

Diamonds are NOT that rare the price is kept artificially high by companys like De Beers. Where they only allow a certain amount on to the market every year and stock pile tonnes of the things. Its all a clever marketing ploy and you all just suck up, like a lump of carbon really means something!:rolleyes:

They have been marketed as the must have for stupid one upmanship that so many of you ladies go in for. Just another example of sad materialism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I'm not really into jewellery so I wouldn't care if he bought the cheapest ring he could find :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Its not the amount that you spend that matters its what you think she will like that counts!!!! Make sure you know her taste first....and ask permission from her family....us girls are old fashioned in that respect...well i am!!! If u wanna get the ring yourself take a ring she already has and get it another cm or 2 bigger.....bring a friend of hers or a family member if your not sure....good luck!!!!

As Dudess said - maybe you are old fashioned. I'm certainly not. I told my fiancee he was not to ask for my Dad's permission. It's not up to him who I marry. He told my Dad I wouldn't let him ask as well and my Dad laughed and said that sounded like me!
    Darlughda wrote: »
    I would be so delighted that the man I loved wanted to marry me, I wouldn't give a rats' ass if the ring was from the Hallo'ween barn brak.

Just as long as it didn't belong to his doomed mother who had a horrible marriage :eek: alá Kate & William....

I just got engaged and my fiancee bought me a €40 plain white gold ring to propose with. He's going to give me his mother's engagement ring which is currently sitting in a vault somewhere so he'll have to sort out collecting it some time soon. I haven't seen it and have no idea what it is like which a lo of people seemed very concerned about but to me it's all about the meaning behind it. His mum died in a car accident when he was younger but unlike Charlies and Diana his parents were happily married at the time. Other people have been shocked that I'd wear the ring as they think it is bad luck and can't understand how I don't want him to buy me one. We don't have a lot of money and couldn't have afforded a big expensive ring anyway. This one has a lot of meaning and he is honoured I'm going to wear it. To be honest, I'm actually really nervous about wearing it in case I lose it. Wouldn't that be awful?! My grandmother also left me her wedding ring so I'm going to wear that and not buy one. The onl]y ring we'll need to buy is his!

Funnily enough, my first day back at work after getting engaged is tomorrow and I'm dreading all the "let's see the ring" business. A) I don't have it yet, I'm wearing a plain band (which I actually love) and B) the ring he is giving me is personal and I don't want people judging it for the size and how much he spend. How shallow is that?

I also want to get him an engagement thing as the man doesn't get anything. Does anyone else think that's unfair? He already has a good watch and won't wear any other jewellery so I'm thinking of surprising him with a PS3 and a voucher saying he can play as much as he wants without me bitching at him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This post has been deleted.

Is she single?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'd want him to spend whatever he could afford. I'm not into jewellary anyway and if i thought i'd a 10k ring sitting on my finger i'd be afraid to wear it! So a ring worth a few hundred would be more than enough for me. There's much better things to be spending money on. I've heard of people taking out loans to pay for engagement rings, it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

In defense of MissGroovy I would like my BF to ask my father's permission to ask me to marry him, yeah I know it has sexist overtones but it's a very old tradition and it's more about respect for the father in question than treating the girl as property. At the end of the day if my dad said no my BF would laugh, I'd say we all would. I think it's just a sign of respect really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

RachaelVO wrote: »
    They are legit and they will have all the relevant certs for their diamonds etc;

Haw, relevant certs in the diamond industry....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

watna wrote: »
    I also want to get him an engagement thing as the man doesn't get anything. Does anyone else think that's unfair? He already has a good watch and won't wear any other jewellery so I'm thinking of surprising him with a PS3 and a voucher saying he can play as much as he wants without me bitching at him!

That's a pity, my usual suggestions would be a watch or a plain band for him
    A ps3 sounds good!

snuggles: Please don't say "it's my generation", I'm 25 and I wouldn't be coming out with half of what you did... neither would any of my friends

It really is funny to see the history of engagement rings and how effective de beers advertising was.
    if you really want a diamond go artificial!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Alot of cheap asses out there. If you can afford to spend a good bit, do it. Just spend what you can afford. I'm my opinion it's not worth skimping on as it will be worn for a lifetime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd make one out of 2nd hand tin foil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

Whatever he can afford would suit me fine. My friend went to New York especially for the ring as it was cheaper it still cost about 7000 and half the time she does not wear it she is afraid she will damage it so what was the point!
    I think there is too much competition between woman with engagement rings,once i liked the ring i wouldn't care how much it cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I got the engagement ring, her wedding band, and my wedding band (different styles) for less than €1,000. Look great and still in perfect condition a year and a half after purchase. A lot of people have tried to guess what the engagement ring cost and nobody has come close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

Mine was 500.00 Euro. i admired it walking by a shop and my now Husband took note. We were only dating 6 months and marriage was no where on my mind so it was a huge surprise. love the ring and its priceless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

While giving her your "one months" wage, why not add to the moment by including the mortgage arrears in the ring box. That'll certainly add to the surprise!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

5k on a fu¢king ring?

...think of all the coke and hookers you can get for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've decided for my engagement that the fella will have to pay my car insurance. I'll have the disk laminated and wear it around my neck. Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

Ah, the romantic XXI century - love measured by the value of a golden band with a piece of carbon. Truly sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I spent €1800

When richard branson starts doing trips in a time machine my first stop will be december 2008 outside park jewellers in athlone - to give myself a kick in the head before i enter the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

OisinT wrote: »
    I'd say between €5,000-10,000 if you can afford it and you already own a house.

Otherwise, go cheap but quality. You can always upgrade the diamond later. Put the money into a nice band and setting.

Do you mean 'own a house' or 'own a big mortgage on a house'?

I wouldn't say many engaged couples 'own a house'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

What a feckin waste of money. €30 tops on an engagement ring. You're better off saving the rest of the money for the actual wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I bought one about 7 years ago, in London (Hatton Garden).

I spent x.

We moved to Ireland a year or so later, and I got the ring valued for house insurance. It was valued at 3x.

From this, I infer that either the valuation was wrong, or Dublin is/was not a very good place to buy an engagement ring, value-wise.

Regarding how much to spend, there's an national economic crisis happening. If that's not excuse enough to be cheap, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

donfers wrote: »
    garbage!

do women not want hot men then?

everyone wants someone they are attracted to and who they can have a laugh with (personality/intelligence etc)

anything else and your motives are rightfully questioned

amazing how equality goes out the window and there is no campaign for change fromt the feminist mob and "sure, 'tis tradition" when the issue benefits women

imagine using the "sure 'tis tradition" defense to make your missus cook and clean every day or never go to work

Well women still do the majority of the housework in Ireland so not all traditions 'only suit women'.
    I'm talking about the few men and women who marry for shallow reasons, not most people. Like those oldie billionaires who get a girl in her twenties. Many would say shes a gold digger, but it cuts both ways as hes clearly benefiting from the relationship too, understand? :)
    (Of course I don't personally think thats a very good way to maintain relationship)
    Then you have no problem with middle aged western men moving to poor countries to marry cute young women? Or are you a hypocrite? smile.gif

None whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some say "materialistic", some say "practical".

It's all very well saying that you'd happily marry someone poor, but financial stress can destroy a marriage.

Like it or not, women are usually the ones to take a career hit when kids come along. If I was a woman, I would at least consider how finances would work out in that situation.

Of course there are exceptions, different people want different things, and love should trump all other considerations, but some easy-going people could happily love and live with any of a large number of potential partners, so why shouldn't they choose one with a fat wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

I don't think you can put a price tag on a nice ring

I bet prostitutes can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thread full of women talking about their rings and no innuendos?

Not even a Beyonce gag and there's even a user called Sasha Fierce!

What has happened to this forum at all .. :p

Anyway, I think it's more important for the man to spend some time choosing the ring than anything else. I would think the fact that he went into twenty jewellers and bought the ring he liked best and thought that she would like best also, was more important than what it cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Thread full of women talking about their rings and no innuendos?

Aww but I just made one :o well not mine...

Advertisement