Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Lumen wrote: »
    Personal preference works both ways. People do not just buy expensive rings to be seen to be spending. Some people just like having nice stuff.

What's the problem? Capitalism?

Not capitalism, more avarice, I would say.

I've been engaged twice. Both times, the ring really didn't cost much (the first one was around 350 irish punts, second one he won't tell me...) because we couldn't afford much at the time and besides, we had much more important stuff to spend our money on.

I always think the thought counts much more than price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Anyone who has "expectations" in relation to what their partner will buy for them is pretty deluded, and creepy, and shallow. Anyone who cares about the price of gifts anywhere near as much as the sentiment involved is severely emotionally underdeveloped, in my opinion.

Oh, and to watna, big kudos on the voucher. Thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭positron

Diamonds are NOT that rare the price is kept artificially high by companys like De Beers. Where they only allow a certain amount on to the market every year and stock pile tonnes of the things. Its all a clever marketing ploy and you all just suck up, like a lump of carbon really means something!:rolleyes:

This is FACT!

Try setting a business buying and selling diamonds or something like creating a market for used diamonds. De Beers boys would be knocking at your door in minutes to give you their own cease and desist orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

prinz wrote: »
    Then again most people take one look and the novelty wears off. .

you can say the same about anything, house, car, TV, clothes.

Not many pay enough attention to notice flaws etc. .

You dont have to pay attention, they are looking you in the face,
    I don't understand the couples who get into the colour, clarity etc stuff myself as if they had a life-long interest in buying jewels, unless it's being bought as a financial investment..

same could be said about anything again, why buy a dcent shirt for 60 euro when you can get one for a euro. reason, euro on looks **** and will fall apart.
    It looks nice, shape suits her hand, she likes the ring itself. Problem solved. No need to spend a fortune.
    agreed but what if the nicest one cost more than you expected? would you refuse her it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Personal preference works both ways.
    I know it does. I just object to the "cheap ass" remark. So a person's not into the idea of spending thousands on a ring specifically, because they view it as a waste of money, that doesn't mean they're tight-fisted across the board. And they might have no problem with spending a lot of money on other types of stuff which others then might deem as a waste of money.
    People do not just buy expensive rings to be seen to be spending.
    I don't dispute that.
    Some people just like having nice stuff.
    Of course. I like having nice stuff - nice doesn't always = expensive though, and vice versa. Sure, I like to splurge every now and then as a treat - don't understand why a person would never treat themselves if they can otherwise afford to. But you can get nice stuff that's reasonably priced. To me, a dress from Monsoon is just as nice as a designer dress. But Monsoon isn't the cheapest of high street shops either - some might consider Monsoon extravagant. It's all relative.
    You could purchase an engagement ring that's lovely yet reasonably priced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

: opens popcorn, sits back :

lol, fair play to you marrying a traveller. couldn't do it myself.
    at least the money you saved on the ring will go towards the massive OTT wedding come down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

late hundreds to 1000euros.
    Thats actually not that much really although I have seen the most beautiful rings for just 250euro!
    To be honest I would'nt care whether it cost 200euro or 1500euro. Id be delighted to be asked in the first place!!!

I know a couple that have been together for over 10 years (only in late 20's now) and have a house etc. but the guy wont/cant propose because the girl wants a ring that costs THIRTY THOUSAND EURO!!!

So, I dont think thats ever going to happen with them.
    My OH is an athiest and doesn't believe in "the marriage papers"!
    Im happy so lets go with the flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

What's wrong with cubrix zurcona(spellings bad I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bubs99 wrote: »
    the guy wont/cant propose because the girl wants a ring that costs THIRTY THOUSAND EURO!!!

Rookie mistake. Never ask her what she wants. Multiple choice questions only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

gcgirl wrote: »
    What's wrong with cubrix zurcona(spellings bad I know)

Or anything else for that matter. Personally I dont like diamonds and neither does my OH. Diamonds seem to be a default position. Id much rather put a bit of thought into it and create something personal and if a stone was going to be included I think there are better ones that diamond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I didn't think there was a rule to it, I just thought it had to be pretty...mine is anyway :o

I have to laugh at all these people who spend fortunes on their engagement rings getting them specially made and stuff when in no time they're gonna be covered in baby puke :D

Or anything else for that matter. Personally I dont like diamonds and neither does my OH. Diamonds seem to be a default position. Id much rather put a bit of thought into it and create something personal and if a stone was going to be included I think there are better ones that diamond.

i think the idea for a diamond stems from it's durability?

Bubs99 wrote: »

I know a couple that have been together for over 10 years (only in late 20's now) and have a house etc. but the guy wont/cant propose because the girl wants a ring that costs THIRTY THOUSAND EURO!!!

what a lovely girl:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think the idea for a diamond stems from it's durability?

It stems from heavy de beers advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Anyone who has "expectations" in relation to what their partner will buy for them is pretty deluded, and creepy, and shallow. Anyone who cares about the price of gifts anywhere near as much as the sentiment involved is severely emotionally underdeveloped, in my opinion.

This x1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Tayla wrote: »
    I'm not really into jewellery so I wouldn't care if he bought the cheapest ring he could find :)

Neither do I. I don't wear much jewellery or wear that often except a watch and a ring I had since childhood. An engagement ring is sentimental though, its a once off kind of thing though can't people see that though. Its nice to have something you can look at day in and day out and still like 'till you are old and grey! I'm sure guys like to buy a decent ring if it means bagging a girl? Would he not want to make her happy what ever kind of ring she wants regardless of price should the price matter if the price mattered too much then the relationship and marriage wouldn't be worth it if its all about money it doesn't have too be but having nice quality things is though.

Unfortunately I grew up where material goods was a done thing.
    Really? Didn't think that was the case bluewolf thought it was the same story for those of our ages. I see girls mad to marry like at 24 or have babies that are planned that sort of thing scares me I'm not mature enough or ready for that sort of thing.

I wouldn't be bothered either way if my future fianceé asked permission for hand in marriage, it be romantic and traditional but to be honest I wouldn't want the fuss. I wouldn't expect him too. He be asking me why should he have to ask permission other than me?

I'm not in a relationship so can't speak for an OH. I probably view things differently when I would have an OH that I could have a future with and possibly marry. Its something that I won't really need to think about until nearer to my 30's. I had a vision I would marry in my late 20's really wanted that when I were younger but now that I've got older I'd rather wait until I'm my 30's just not ready to settle down yet. Any men I have met that did want to settle down with I ran a mile of cause I wasn't ready for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I have always been frugal, but I bought my own engagement ring - I bought the cheapest one I could find (£150 - hubby gave me the money a few weeks later) and guess what, it still looks good after 16 years. I didn't see the point in splashing out when we had a wedding to save up for, and a happy marriage means a hell of a lot more than an expensive ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The only thing I would expect of an engagement ring would be that it be yellow gold. The reason for this is that I wear a ring on my middle finger on my left hand that is yellow gold and a ring on my "ring" finger on my right hand that is yellow gold and I would just like them all to match. Whether the ring was bought for a tenner or ten thousand is irrelevant to me because the person giving it to me will be what I value most.

From my boyfriend's point of view, when talking about getting engaged he has always said he would have a ring made for me because one of his good friends makes jewellery and he would like something unique. If the ring is going to be a representation of our marriage it needs to mean something to both of us, so having it made by his friend and him having an input into its design would make it mean so much more to the both of us than a shop bought ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

minimum €5,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i have friends who are silver smiths so id get one of them to make it for me
    From my boyfriend's point of view, when talking about getting engaged he has always said he would have a ring made for me because one of his good friends makes jewellery

...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

How much is an onion ring in McDonalds?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

bluewolf wrote: »
    It stems from heavy de beers advertising

They may have played a part in the x amount of wages malarky for sure, but I'm not sure it's de beers fault for peoples want for extravagance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd say if you spend 2k on any sort of ring you're a fúcking moron, unless you plan on selling it for 3k later.

So we've gone from an over inflated house markert to over inflating rings for re-sale...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    Well i wouldn't say she'd turn it down but the thing will look crap, big ring with highly visable flaws and marks, cracks. i've seen there rocks they look terrible.

Highly visible? Like I said msot people give a ring a cursory glance and nothing more.

not going to sell the ring either it's appraised for insurances purposes. can you understand that?

Yes I can. What I don't understand is people who like to inform others about a higher valuation. What relevance does it have? None whatsoever.
    if your finished being bitter and sad, i bid you adiue

Heh, yeah.
    you can say the same about anything, house, car, TV, clothes.

Generally speaking houses, cars, TV's etc. go up in price because they increase in worth/value/specifications etc. A ring on the other hand looks pretty. You could have two rings almost identical for vastly different prices, but both do the same job unless you are deliberately trying to tell them apart.

Again, I couldn't care less if someone has the money to spend €2,000, €20,000 or €200,000 on a ring. The stupidity begins when people talk about a minimum price a ring should/must be, or the conversation revolves around the cost. IMO the cost is for the purchaser/couple to know. It's nobody else's business, and that's what they got told when they asked myself or my OH.
    agreed but what if the nicest one cost more than you expected? would you refuse her it?

Yes. It's a gift. She should be aware of the financial position of the couple and have a realistic price range, if she can't accept that there's no hope tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

if your finished being bitter and sad, i bid you adiue

you're, adieu.

If you are going to look like a pompous ass, at least do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

...?

pikeybean?? wtf is your problem you moron?

EDIT - Ah now that I have read your other posts in this thread I see what you're trying to imply.

My bf's friend studied under German Master Goldsmith Gabrielle Muller Hefter in Assisi, Italy and studied as an undergraduate student of Metalwork and Jewellery at Sheffield Hallam University. She was commissioned in 2000 to make a piece for the President of Ireland. And in 2008 she created a piece for British singer KT Tunstall for the Brit Awards, resulting later in a commission to create a wedding band for her husband. She has a shop in Cork and her jewellery is stocked in jewellery shops mainly in the south and south east and one or two shops in Dublin.

You seem to be trying to imply that all jewellery makers are "pikeys" (to use your word) which I don't understand, nor do I find amusing. Very small minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So we've gone from an over inflated house markert to over inflating rings for re-sale...:pac:

Bingo. My point exactly about people who looooove discussing how much their ring has appreciated in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Bingo. My point exactly about people who looooove discussing how much their ring has appreciated in value.

You mean depreciated in value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

You mean depreciated in value?

why would they love talking about how much less their ring is worth?

Advertisement