Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

For €1000 tops
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

min € 3000 and max €6000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

isnt it meant to be a months wages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I would expect a guy to spend a €1000 tops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Are you for real? High maintenance much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

How much is a brack these days???

I think they're a waste of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

In America it is a 3rd of your annual income! Dunno what it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

$20 so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

get her a ring out of a lucky bag, if that doesn't make her happy nuthin will.and ya may as well know that now before it's too late

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Depends on the income but anyone with a half-decent job should be spending 5k minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

wolfpawnat wrote: »

The "rule of thumb" is a months wages.
    But lets be realistic. Theres a lot more a months wages will buy for a couple starting out, ultimately very few people will know the value of the ring, I mean they all look the fecking same to me, and if you and your missus are relatively straightforward people I dont think there'd be an issue in spending less than the months wages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I here Argos have some good bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

If it's not on the euro-saver menu, she's not getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I'd expect it to be something I'd like, so a tasteful 100e ring is far preferable to a god awful 10k ring, it truly is the thought that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't know - whatever is the most reasonably priced one that means the most... couple of hundred? Hilarious how some girls get freaked and competitive about sh1t like that... "The more he spends, the more he loves you."

Why does the guy have to buy it btw? Oh yeah, it's the done thing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As long as it's less than 1000. I'd buy him an engagement ring or watch for less than 1000 also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

wolfpawnat wrote: »

A third of your income! I've heard of stupidity but thats extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

I'd expect it to be something I'd like, so a tasteful 100e ring is far preferable to a god awful 10k ring, it truly is the thought that counts.

Complete and utter bull and you know it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

kippy wrote: »
    But lets be realistic. Theres a lot more a months wages will buy for a couple starting out, ultimately very few people will know the value of the ring, I mean they all look the fecking same to me, and if you and your missus are relatively straightforward people I dont think there'd be an issue in spending less than the months wages.

I saw one for 600e I would take any day over some of the 2000e-5000e ones. It is madness to waste money on a rock that can be lost! Well IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

kippy wrote: »

Actually rule of thumb is a month and a half (I'm a jeweller). But lets be realistic here, that's a lot of money for most people these day's so the rule is more or less out the window. On average people are spending between 500 and 1500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Mont wrote: »

No, I like good design, a giant rock on a skinny band is not good design.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭missgroovy21

Its not the amount that you spend that matters its what you think she will like that counts!!!! Make sure you know her taste first....and ask permission from her family....us girls are old fashioned in that respect...well i am!!! If u wanna get the ring yourself take a ring she already has and get it another cm or 2 bigger.....bring a friend of hers or a family member if your not sure....good luck!!!!

Mont wrote: »
    Why? It certainly ain't "bull" for me. Just because there are women (and men) who are seduced by off-the-chart extravagance, doesn't mean all are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Two months wage is the "rule" I believe

Around my age group I know a lot of engaged couples and I'm hearing good things about going to the source, Antwerp. Bring your haggling skills with you.
    Irish jewelers need their markup so you can head to Antwerp, treat yourself to a weekend away and still save money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

isnt it meant to be a months wages?

I think it is meant to be three months wages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

This post has been deleted.

I know one or two like this also. They turn my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ill be getting a Graham watch to the same value as the ring she will get . . so 10k is grand :D

ask permission from her family
    Lol
    ....us girls are old fashioned in that respect...well i am!!!
    Yes, you are...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Its not the amount that you spend that matters its what you think she will like that counts!!!! Make sure you know her taste first....and ask permission from her family....us girls are old fashioned in that respect...well i am!!!!

You are, I'm not. That's borderline dumping offense in my book

I dislike the idea of a diamond ring though - sapphire please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I believe it's supposed to be 3 months...though that might be Celtic Tiger prices! I'd say few would be spending that much these days.

Advertisement