Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The fact remains folks,

That ANYONE who thinks that there should be set rules around how much to spend or bigger is better or more is cooler, or i would be totally like morto like scarls if Dhurbla or Fiacra saw me with that cheap tat on... Has their head in a celtic tiger sense of entitlement cloud.

You need a good crack up side the head or else the faint realisation that the good time (well they werent that good) they are over. Your up there with some of the mad cronies who got us in a lovely mess with there exotic credit fueled spending sprees of excess and lavish muck.

Jesus i could probably sell you pig ****e and tell you it was caviar.

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.....

There is more to life than showing how big your gonads are with a hunk of Sierra Leone on your moths finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

listermint wrote: »
    I would like to subscribe to your vagina sized bragging newsletter.

i think your on to something here.

Why is it that large penis on a man is supposed to be a good thing and small penis bad.
    While large vagina on a woman is a bad thing while small vagina good...

Double standards!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You are hanging around with the cast of Fade Street.
    Maybe I am but I'm from that generation hard not be like that when I've grown up in that world. I'm 25. Being materalistic with people I hang out with comes to bags and accessories and things like that. I'm not bothered by status or cars or how much cars/houses are or anything like that. A normal standard of living is all I am after enough to survive in this world.
    No it doesn't. It shows a ring. Behaviour shows commitment and love.

Of course it does but marriage and commitment and love and showing it there is a lot more to them than just a ring/wedding. Its the whole relationship and how it has been built up and and how the couple have lasted along with communication/trust/loyality/friendship/love/compatibility in all aspects.
    Why not? Should the price of the honeymoon matter? The price of the wedding? The price of a new tennis racquet? Does this rule only apply to the engagment ring?.

Well is it not where you go that matters not just the cost of it? It would be worth having gone to the place before but just to a more romantic hotel for wedding nuptials. The couple are suppose to enjoy it have a nice time and have a relaxing holiday depending whether they want a sun holiday/ski/adventure or just an ordinary holiday its up to them. They don't necessary have to go somewhere exotic or nearer to home or nearer to europe or somewhere out of this world or popular. Its up to the couple to choose like wise and really thing couples should decide between themselves not just one person or be one sided its a bit unfair for the other person just go along with it to please their partner, both partners should feel ok with and be happy about it. Well not just engagement rings other things when weddings are concerned like the dress/flowers/reception etc and anything like things for a baby when bridge is crossed.
    A cliché, but true. So why do you want an expensive ring?

Ever think of someone handcrafting a ring? Unique? Maybe something on to newbridge or something like that? Would you not take pride in it? Would a ring not prove to her man that she loves him ever lastingly other than showing it through emotion etc, as well as wearing it every day just to prove that? I wouldn't necessarily want an expensive ring. Its quality I rather see in a ring regardless of price! It doesn't have to be overly expensive like.
    Children are expensive. Houses are expensive. Cars are expensive. Nursing homes are expensive. A ring will not be the most expensive thing unless you are looking at the million euro bracket.

While courting maybe and before getting married I meant when taking into account that a ring be the most expensive thing you buy her before you marry. After that of course cars/houses/children can be expensive that's expected but they don't get really expensive until after you get married depending if you have all that before you marry thats a different story with impending costs.
    Quality presumably means what the jeweller charges you? What do you know about the craftsmanship involved? I know nothing. More expensive does not mean better quality.
    Yes, that and where you buy it. The jeweller's markup is about 100% (i.e. he will charge you twice what he bought it for)

So, branding might have a part to play, if you go to a reputable jeweller you might get a decent ring. Why get a ring that will tarnish after a while or a few years even, it wouldn't be worth the girl wearing it. Its a part of you and her can't it be seen as something special rather than an object but seen as a symbol if nothing else?
    Firstly, it will look cheap if it looks cheap. I've seen watches that cost hundreds of thousands that look cheap because they are smeared with diamonds (link).
    Secondly - even if it doesn't look like an expensive ring, how shallow are you? How shallow are your friends and family? Will they think less of you if they think your ring cost less than €5000?

My family not so much but some of my relations take great pride in that sort of thing. Money and property as well as extravagant goods are a big thing for them. I can be shallow but a different type of shallow. Money is no object. I have cut back on my own spending and the likes and get things that are just as nice that are cheap and not necessary expensive but when it comes to quality and comfort there is a lot to be said for that and how long the item lasts!

Why is it that large penis on a man is supposed to be a good thing and small penis bad.
    While large vagina on a woman is a bad thing while small vagina good...

Double standards!!! :mad:

Hmmm, never thought of it like that.

This conversation needs more weed.

My family not so much but some of my relations take great pride in that sort of thing. Money and property as well as extravagant goods are a big thing for them. I can be shallow but a different type of shallow. Money is no object. I have cut back on my own spending and the likes and get things that are just as nice that are cheap and not necessary expensive but when it comes to quality and comfort there is a lot to be said for that and how long the item lasts!

Well tbh alot of people got like that, why? because they were allowed to. Not necessarily because they worked there ass of or anything. They just all bought into this 'fake wealth' blowing around. Were everything is got but nothing is paid for. Reality check !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

snuggles285 is getting you guys so upset its quite funny:pac:

Personally I see no difference between a woman wanting a rich man and a man wanting a a hot woman. So don't get too judgemental.

Seriously I would not expect the guy to blow all his wages on a ring, I would even pay my way or split it down the middle if the ring was what I wanted I get I wouldn't ask for much else and honestly paying for a ring around the 1,000 euro isn't going to break the bank by any means. If you convert that to dollar's its not that much. If you want a decent ring, you be expected to pay between 1,000 to 2,000 dollars! One things for sure I'd like a quiet, small wedding and exclusive to just family and friends.
    Novella wrote: »
    But you're the one who wants an expensive ring, no? So obviously price does mean something to you, since you're arguing towards flashing the cash.

I'd like a decent quality ring maybe expensive not so cheap but doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg like there is a happy medium if its worth buying a decent ring I be all for it.. Price does but its a more expensive price usually means good quality?? I mean to say how would you compare something from pennys to something in karen millen?? I don't like the whole flashing the cash part. I think showing something off that is exquisite is nice to have and something to remember the relationship/partner by. An engagement ring is suppose to last a life time no?
    I don't think a ring does show love. I think that's such a load of rubbish. It's a ring, it's a nice gesture, but anyone can save money and go buy one. Love is way more than that.

Its a symbol of love and a nice gester ya. But you can drive a hard bargin if you really wanted to by getting a decent quality ring. Some Jewellers will do that for you say for updating settings/carats.

Love doesn't have a price tag because it isn't about money! I would never want to be bought a ring that would be the most expensive thing my boyfriend/future husband would ever buy. I don't care about quality, diamonds, whether other people might think it looks 'common'... There are much more important things in life. What I would be concerned about is the quality of the relationship, not carats.

Money is not my thing its quality both in the ring and the relationship!
    A more expensive ring isn't gonna 'carry' memories better than a cheaper one. A person with a less expensive ring isn't gonna have less wonderful memories.

Of course its not but is part of memories to last a life time through thick and thin...in sickness and in health, for rich or poor etc.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Sigh...

Jeez, all the talk of gold-digging women used to annoy me as it is not applicable to the females I know, but wow... this thread is one hell of a grim eye-opener...

Lol at the "the more expensive the ring, the higher a level of commitment" sentiments too.

I for one is not a gold digger. Some women thrive on that...the princess and the wag types but not me as a joe soap. I'm just materialistic doesn't matter what price its material goods I'm a culprit for can't help it. I don't care how much a guy earns as long as he is earning something and can have a decent standard of living and look after me. The basics is all I need or ever want. Whats one thing an expensive ring than anything else. I'm not one to buy high street much, I'm a pennys kind of girl and I rarely ever splash on anything expensive but I would often buy things of good quality of various prices and would not expect a future fianceé too do that for me just for the sake of a ring. I might think differently when that time comes maybe I might not care if he made the ring himself/is a toy ring/out of a barn brack even!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Personally I see no difference between a woman wanting a rich man and a man wanting a a hot woman. So don't get too judgemental.
    Oh if you're shallower than a worm's grave, fine, but don't presume to speak for all women...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Terri26 wrote: »
    Hellooooooooooo Oisín, how are you doin'!!!!!!
    Sweet Christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Women who want / expect extravagant rings are like men who want extravagant cars. Its just all about bragging. There really isnt a problem as long as these same people manage to pair off. They should be very happy together in their materialistic world.
    Id much prefer to spend a couple of grand on a great holiday that the girl and I would really enjoy, rather than blow it on a feckin finger ornament. Im sure theres a few women out there who would agree with that.

• Advertisement

I don't want a rich man! He could be poor for all I care. I'm happy to pay my way like and be independent of a man. Love or money I choose love. If it came to meals/drinks/cinema and things like that I would want the expenses shared equally. The whole buming off people is just plain stupid.

I say I have a few posters' knickers in a twist I say?!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Bunny Buster

MLH1 wrote: »
    For €1000 tops

Wait until October and you will get one in a Halloween Brack for a couple of Euros!!:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Surely beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

garbage!

do women not want hot men then?

everyone wants someone they are attracted to and who they can have a laugh with (personality/intelligence etc)

anything else and your motives are rightfully questioned

amazing how equality goes out the window and there is no campaign for change fromt the feminist mob and "sure, 'tis tradition" when the issue benefits women

imagine using the "sure 'tis tradition" defense to make your missus cook and clean every day or never go to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ridiculous. I will pick her up a nice 1.5-2 carat round cut platinum or white gold carat ring, tasteful, durable(!), not tacky and I will spend 1000$ or 1500$ and she will love it.

Anyways I

Where will you get 1.5 -2 carats for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

As little as possible. I personally hate rings - I know several people who've lost their fingers due to catching rings in door handles :S
    I'd rather one from a barm brack! Cheap and breakable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

My sons dad proposed to me and as I was pregnant at the time we knew spending a fortune wasnt realistic, I picked out a cheapo 50 Euro ring....a few years later he spent a couple of hundred on a new one for me...I preferred the 1st one though as It was worth more sentimentally. Unfortunately we broke up after 7 years but If he would have me back he could propose with a lucky bag ring & I would be as happy as larry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Then you have no problem with middle aged western men moving to poor countries to marry cute young women? Or are you a hypocrite? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

50 k min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

argosy2006 wrote: »
    50 k min

thats great coming from someone with ARGOS as part of their username !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mind44

I'd prefer a 52" widescreen TV to a stupid ring. Throw in a nice TV stand and I'll even go down on him on the ol' honeymoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

The price paid for any engagement ring has as many variables as the couple, their relationship and their financial situation. But being either a tight fisted lad or a greedy lass is a bad way to starts any engagement, marriage or life together. If it becomes a big issue for a couple, they have deeper issues.

Personally I spent every penny my Visa would let me the day that I bought my wifes ring, about 2 months wages at the time, but I was badly paid :-). It was a nice ring, but not spectacular, but she would have been happy with less or more, she only cared that I had asked her to marry me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Put a Hula Hoop on my finger and I'd be happy. Seriously though I'd feel guilty having him spend 1,000+ on a ring. I know a girl who said it has to be at least 8,000. She is that type of girl. If the guy agrees to spend that much that's his choice.

The price paid for any engagement ring has as many variables as the couple, their relationship and their financial situation. But being either a tight fisted lad or a greedy lass is a bad way to starts any engagement, marriage or life together. If it becomes a big issue for a couple, they have deeper issues.

Personally I spent every penny my Visa would let me the day that I bought my wifes ring, about 2 months wages at the time, but I was badly paid :-). It was a nice ring, but not spectacular, but she would have been happy with less or more, she only cared that I had asked her to marry me.

But you could afford it I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As little as possible. I personally hate rings - I know several people who've lost their fingers due to catching rings in door handles :S
    I'd rather one from a barm brack! Cheap and breakable.

I'd say 99% of the population doesnt know one person who's had their finger cut off from catching a ring in a door handle, you know several?

must know a lot of idiots.

An engagement ring is a life long investment, how many engagement rings would a girl have in her lifetime only very few depending whether she changes her ring now and again and updates it or happens to get married again. What's one ring to just a couple of holidays? Its nice to have a nice decent ring and like it and wear it everyday but holidays come and go, some are good some are not. Whats a couple of holidays here and there abroad now and again which would you prefer to have for a lifetime? You can only have so many holidays like and still just have the one ring like!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

isnt it meant to be a months wages?

Only get engaged when you're in the dole then...

An engagement ring is a life long investment, how many engagement rings would a girl have in her lifetime only very few depending whether she changes her ring now and again and updates it or happens to get married again. What's one ring to just a couple of holidays? Its nice to have a nice decent ring and like it and wear it everyday but holidays come and go, some are good some are not. Whats a couple of holidays here and there abroad now and again which would you prefer to have for a lifetime? You can only have so many holidays like and still just have the one ring like!

You buy a ring you can comfortably afford I would have thought, same goes for the wedding, holidays etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

wouldnt bother me how much he spent tbh, only thing would be i dont want a diamond ring, which i guess would make it a bit cheaper for whoever i marry:D

Advertisement