Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should or would you expect a guy to spend on an Engagement Ring?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

You mean depreciated in value?
    How? Diamonds, gold and platinum are all worth lots more than they were years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You mean depreciated in value?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Are synthetic diamond rings getting common yet? Supposedly their quite a bit cheaper, and lack some of the ethical concerns of natural diamonds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ntlbell wrote: »
    They may have played a part in the x amount of wages malarky for sure, but I'm not sure it's de beers fault for peoples want for extravagance

He asked where did diamond come from as opposed to other stones, hence my answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

You seem to be trying to imply that all jewellery makers are "pikeys" (to use your word) which I don't understand, nor do I find amusing. Very small minded.

Some people on this thread are small minded, biggoted people who would be too afraid to say something like that to peoples faces. No need to rise to to rise to their ignorant ramblings

• Advertisement

You seem to be trying to imply that all jewellery makers are "pikeys" (to use your word) which I don't understand, nor do I find amusing. Very small minded.

Or you know, that yourself and sensibleken are in fact a couple..... *whooosh*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Two months wage is the "rule" I believe

Around my age group I know a lot of engaged couples and I'm hearing good things about going to the source, Antwerp. Bring your haggling skills with you.
    Irish jewelers need their markup so you can head to Antwerp, treat yourself to a weekend away and still save money

Screw Antwerp. Hitchhike to Sierra Leone and brave the marauding gangs of AK47-toting doped up children and mine the thing yourself. Prove you really love her because frankly, nothing says "my feelings towards you are distinctly average" than Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

prinz wrote: »
    Highly visible? Like I said msot people give a ring a cursory glance and nothing more.
    [/COLOR] .
    Most women will look at the ring try it on do the 3 turn thing look more and hand it back. its peob the more jealous(who do you thing you are type) who do the clance and fake smile and change the subject. in a crazy world a girls friends would be delighte dto she them engaged and will look at the ring in dtail/admiration.

Yes I can. What I don't understand is people who like to inform others about a higher valuation. What relevance does it have? None whatsoever. .

you dont see the point in telling a friend he can save a huge amount of money buying a ring outside ireland? informing people on the net that theres great value outide the country you live in? nice guy!

Generally speaking houses, cars, TV's etc. go up in price because they increase in worth/value/specifications etc..

are you on drugs if anything a ring will hold value in the future more than any of there items? a car will lose 10k the min you drive it of the forecourt, TV is worth half if you sell it on ebay and we all know the nation of house price so i wont even go there.

are deliberately trying to tell them apart...

would that not be the reason you would put the rings together and compare them. maybe i missed something??

.[/QUOTE]
    Again, I couldn't care less if someone has the money to spend €2,000, €20,000 or €200,000 on a ring. The stupidity begins when people talk about a minimum price a ring should/must be, or the conversation revolves around the cost. IMO the cost is for the purchaser/couple to know. It's nobody else's business, and that's what they got told when they asked myself or my OH..[/QUOTE]

i agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

ntlbell wrote: »
    They may have played a part in the x amount of wages malarky for sure, but I'm not sure it's de beers fault for peoples want for extravagance

It pretty much is if they make diamonds an extravagance and spend a lot of money convincing people that the only fitting declaration of love is carbon, to the point where people have expectations of the cash value of the declaration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

For any women on this thread who "expect" an engagement ring worth thousands of euros, you are a selfish person who has been drugged through social conformity.

There are people literally starving to death only a few hours plane journey away from you, and you're upset becuase you can't show off your faboulous ring. It's pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Screw Antwerp. Hitchhike to Sierra Leone and brave the marauding gangs of AK47-toting doped up children and mine the thing yourself.

throw enough money at the local warlord and the ak47 toting kids will guard you as you dig out the mines with a JCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

X expected 3 months salary, minimum!! :eek:
    And exactly what was I going to get in return worth that?

Some women need a good kick in the hole when it comes to rings and weddings.
    Going insane trying to out spend other couples just so they can say they had x amount at the wedding or some ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

liamw wrote: »
    There are people literally starving to death only a few hours plane journey away from you, and you're upset becuase you can't show off your faboulous ring. It's pathetic.

Yep.....am sure you were thinking of that when you were buying your car/ house/ fancy jacket/ round of drinks for your mates.....

We could all point fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

3 weeks dole ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Yep.....am sure you were thinking of that when you were buying your car/ house/ fancy jacket/ round of drinks for your mates.....

We could all point fingers.

Agreed, but I don't start crying/complain about it.

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    Most women will look at the ring try it on do the 3 turn thing look more and hand it back. its peob the more jealous(who do you thing you are type) who do the clance and fake smile and change the subject. in a crazy world a girls friends would be delighte dto she them engaged and will look at the ring in dtail/admiration.

Not been my experience...and no, it wasn't jealousy. Some people are just more interested in people than possessions, they look at the new ring and go back to chatting to the couple, not an Antiques Roadshow appraisal.
    are you on drugs if anything a ring will hold value in the future more than any of there items? a car will lose 10k the min you drive it of the forecourt, TV is worth half if you sell it on ebay and we all know the nation of house price so i wont even go there..

Again, unless you are planning on selling the ring at some stage that's irrelevant.
    ...would that not be the reason you would put the rings together and compare them. maybe i missed something??

Exactly. Now what kind of person does that when their relative/friend shows them their new engagement ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Snakeblood wrote: »
    It pretty much is if they make diamonds an extravagance and spend a lot of money convincing people that the only fitting declaration of love is carbon, to the point where people have expectations of the cash value of the declaration.

de beers don't make people stupid. they just cash in on thier stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

The Celtic Tiger sense of entitlement is still alive and well. Remember that anyone under 30 remembers nothing but good times up until around 1999 and crazy bubble times from 99 to 2008.

OT, but that is utter nonsense, generalisations. I'm under 30 and remember quite well how bad things were in the 80's and early 90's
    An engagement ring is a life long investment, how many engagement rings would a girl have in her lifetime only very few depending whether she changes her ring now and again and updates it or happens to get married again. What's one ring to just a couple of holidays? Its nice to have a nice decent ring and like it and wear it everyday but holidays come and go, some are good some are not. Whats a couple of holidays here and there abroad now and again which would you prefer to have for a lifetime? You can only have so many holidays like and still just have the one ring like!

snuggles as I've read your posts it seems you're looking for quality more than just to say 'he spent X' on a ring, which isn't so unreasonable.

I don't wear rings so I never want an engagement ring at all. But in general I'm loath to spend large sums of money on anything. The thought of someone spending 5 or 10 thousand on a ring makes me slightly sick!

But, on the subject of holliers v. a ring I know what I'd prefer!! In general I get more pleasure out of experiences rather than things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ideally 0 :pac:

I am a sucker for spending money on somebody but not something stupid like that. As for the people that want so much money spent on them, well generally I'm not going out with people like them anyway.

If somebody was giving me one I would accept any aul piece of crap, onion ring etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Would many women actually know to look at it how much it was? I know I wouldn't have a clue, nor would I give a sh!t tbh - well provided it didn't start rusting a week later:p

IMO, anything over 2k is a ridiculous amount of money to be spending on a ring. If you can afford it then fair enough, I doubt she'll be complaining :), but there are some gorgeous rings you can get for half that even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I can't see myself ever wanting an engagement ring. Though I'm not sure if my opinion is that relevant to the discussion because I just don't wear or even like rings (I like the aesthetics of a plain wedding band, but that's it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

MLH1 wrote: »
    For €1000 tops

Because we are all supposed to be about equality these days
    Why should the bloke have to pay for the ring ? or why dont you get him a ring too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

OVER 9000

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

To be honest I would not be comfortable wearing a big expensive ring. I don't really wear rings at all so what is the point? I have a brooch that belonged to my gran and it's worth next to nothing but still holds a lot of sentimental value to me.
    So I rather receive a ring/neclace etc that means something to my partner or something he put some thought in before he bought it.
    And I can't believe how much money some people here want or have to spend on an engagement ring. Done a reality check lately? Money doesn't grow on trees anymore these days.
    Putting the money towards a home and a future together means more to me.
    But hey rich people have feelings too so if it makes you happy and you can afford a grand for a ring, sure go on, buy it. Whatever makes you happy.
    Other question.... does the lady who expects a ring worth big money see the difference between a "cheap" one or a more expensive ring??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

liamw wrote: »
    For any women on this thread who "expect" an engagement ring worth thousands of euros, you are a selfish person who has been drugged through social conformity.

stop been so melodramatic, do you expect everyone to stop enjoying their life because of something happening in other countries.

If the man in any womans life wants to spend thousands on a ring for her that's their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ideally 0 :pac:

I am a sucker for spending money on somebody but not something stupid like that. As for the people that want so much money spent on them, well generally I'm not going out with people like them anyway.

If somebody was giving me one I would accept any aul piece of crap, onion ring etc

depends on what the are giving you Tar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Two months wage is the "rule" I believe

Around my age group I know a lot of engaged couples and I'm hearing good things about going to the source, Antwerp. Bring your haggling skills with you.
    Irish jewelers need their markup so you can head to Antwerp, treat yourself to a weekend away and still save money

New York is great also

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

dearg lady wrote: »
    OT, but that is utter nonsense, generalisations. I'm under 30 and remember quite well how bad things were in the 80's and early 90's

snuggles as I've read your posts it seems you're looking for quality more than just to say 'he spent X' on a ring, which isn't so unreasonable.

I don't wear rings so I never want an engagement ring at all. But in general I'm loath to spend large sums of money on anything. The thought of someone spending 5 or 10 thousand on a ring makes me slightly sick!

But, on the subject of holliers v. a ring I know what I'd prefer!! In general I get more pleasure out of experiences rather than things.
    G86 wrote: »
    Would many women actually know to look at it how much it was? I know I wouldn't have a clue, nor would I give a sh!t tbh - well provided it didn't start rusting a week later:p

IMO, anything over 2k is a ridiculous amount of money to be spending on a ring. If you can afford it then fair enough, I doubt she'll be complaining :), but there are some gorgeous rings you can get for half that even.

Some women have an eye for style/design and classiness and can tell a mile off if a ring is cheap or not sometimes the naked eye can decieve us.
    Personally I don't mind either gold or silver. I would prefer silver though when it comes to jewellery/rings. I'm not fussy with that and neither am I with regarding rings. When I cross that bridge and see a nice engagement ring I would like I go for it. It think if its nice, looks simple not gammy looking I think its worth spending a few bob but not necessary to break the bank and yes I strive for quality. What's the point in having a ring that will break or something or get caught in a handle if its not fixable?

You can get a cert that certifys that the diamonds/ring/carates are what they are stated to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hondasam wrote: »
    depends on what the are giving you Tar.

Onion rings?! In myyy vagina!?!?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Some women have an eye for style/design and classiness.

I'd like to think I do too, I'm just not hung up on designer brands/expensive styles etc. A ring that cost under a grand can look just as classy as one for 5k.

Maybe I'm old school but I like the whole idea of your partner choosing the ring he thinks you'll like, because I'd like to think at that stage he'd know you well enough to do that. And to me, part of the gift is the fact that the person you love has chosen it for you.

Advertisement