Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Repeated W5D2 today successfully and then some. :D:D

Got to the 8 minutes and felt like I could keep going so I did and I managed 14 minutes. Absolutely delighted with myself. :D:D A couple of months ago, I was severely out of breath after a 1 minute jog, so if I can do it, ANYONE can!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Hey, I'm planning on beginning the c25k program from monday onwards and cuz I've been doing a bit of running over the past month, I feel I can start from week 3 of the program.

I have a few questions though.

So far I've been only running on a treadmill and I usually do a 3mins warm up before getting into the run. So would it matter if I reduce the warm up time in the plan to 3mins too??

Also how fast are you supposed to jog?? Sorry if my questions are a bit naive but I've never really "trained" before and I've only been running on a treadmill where I can easily set my speed on, so well my question...

And finally what workouts/stretches would you recommened me to do along with the running so I stay in good shape and injury free throughout the program...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So far I've been only running on a treadmill and I usually do a 3mins warm up before getting into the run. So would it matter if I reduce the warm up time in the plan to 3mins too??

Not really, 3 minutes should be okay. (Though if you're listening to the podcasts, eg Robert Ullrey's, it's easier to just with the 5 minute warmup they include)
    Also how fast are you supposed to jog?? Sorry if my questions are a bit naive but I've never really "trained" before and I've only been running on a treadmill where I can easily set my speed on, so well my question...

You're supposed to go as fast as you can while still being able to complete the runs (ideally each run in a session at the same, constant pace) That's the flexibility built into the plan - it doesn't matter how fast you can run, everyone runs for the same length of time, so everyone gets a good workout.
    You will find that you overestimate how fast you can go at the beginning - when you start finding it hard to complete each run, slow down.
    And finally what workouts/stretches would you recommened me to do along with the running so I stay in good shape and injury free throughout the program...

I do these sometimes. Not the piriformis one.
    Stretch after your run (or at least after you've warmed up), not before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Also how fast are you supposed to jog?? Sorry if my questions are a bit naive but I've never really "trained" before

I'd imagine a jog should feel very easy. I got the impression from a previous post of yours that maybe your going all out on every session and that would be a no no.
    Best of luck with it.

Thanks for the info guys!

Yeah, I was sorta going all out everytime I was running on the treadmill over the past month. I would increase the time and distance I would run on every occassion and I would be pushing myself to what felt like 90% of my capacity.

Looks like I don't need to push myself that much in this program!

I always stretched after running but recently I watched a video on running where the guy was talking about stretching before going for the run which sort of got me a little confused, the c25k website says to stretch both before and after running too. Also I felt I was spending too much time stretching after every run (I was spending almost 30mins stretching) and I wasn't sure if my technique was right. The link provided by RayCun should be useful with that!

Cheers guys. I can't wait till monday now till I'm out and running!

One last question... In the c25k plan, it says for example jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes). So does that mean I try to cover 400 yards in 3mins?? Or does it mean I jog for 400 yards or I jog for 3mins??

Thanks for the help guys!

• Advertisement

In the c25k plan, it says for example jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes). So does that mean I try to cover 400 yards in 3mins?? Or does it mean I jog for 400 yards or I jog for 3mins??

You go by time OR distance.
    Unless you have a track nearby, it's probably easier to go by time.

RayCun wrote: »
    You go by time OR distance.
    Unless you have a track nearby, it's probably easier to go by time.

Cheers.

I recently got a Garmin GPS watch which gives the distance you've run and all so it won't be tough for me to go by distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Decided to do two 15 minute runs over the last few days which have gone well.

I did my first c25k training run today!

I started from week 2 of the program. You can check out my run here if ye want to!:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83296002

I'll do my next run on thursday and then on saturday to make my 3 times a week training schedule...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

I did my first c25k training run today!

I started from week 2 of the program. You can check out my run here if ye want to!:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83296002

I'll do my next run on thursday and then on saturday to make my 3 times a week training schedule...

How are you finding the garmin i was thinking of getting one maybe the 205 or the 305 but i am only on week 3 of the program and dont know if there is a point yet?Should i get one now or wait until i finish the program:confused:Anyone own one are they suitable for beginners? Thanks.

• Advertisement

How are you finding the garmin i was thinking of getting one maybe the 205 or the 305 but i am only on week 3 of the program and dont know if there is a point yet?Should i get one now or wait until i finish the program:confused:Anyone own one are they suitable for beginners? Thanks.

I don't think they're necessary at this stage. While you're following the c25k programme all you need to do is follow the programme. It doesn't matter what pace you run at, or the total distance travelled, so long as you run your five minutes.
    Even when you've finished the programme, a stopwatch to time how long you ran and mapmyrun.com to measure your route is all you really need.
    The Garmins are great, but they are quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've decided to skip ahead as I've been able to complete 25 minute runs over the last few days. I'll stick at that for a while and when I build that up to 30 minutes then I'll look at the 10k plan and possible create my own log.

This programme was a big help for me as within a month it helped get me from being stuck in front of the computer/tv etc and not being able to run 5 minutes, to running 25 minutes and wanting to go out and do more and more running each and every day. I think I've caught the running bug now!

The fact that I used to be quite active and did play a bit of football etc meant that it didn't take me too long to get back into the swing of things once I got going, but without the C25K I wouldn't have made that step. Everyone progresses at different rates though so stick with it even if you're not encouraged, the results after the 9 weeks will be brilliant.

Good luck to everyone on this programme and keep it up! All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Couch to 5k is a great wee programme to introduce you to running and I always advise anyone who is thinking about taking up running, to start with this.

This time last year I couldn't have jogged the length of myself. I'd been doing a fair amount of walking in the previous 6 weeks but decided to give this a go. The first week with the 60 second jogs were not too bad, but I started to struggle from week 2 onwards. I found the jogging sections really difficult even though I was going slowly. However somehow I managed to complete them, but I encountered my nadir on week 4. From what I remember, the work-outs on week 4 contained some 5 minute jogs and for some reason, I found these almost impossible to complete.

I had a Couch to 5k app on my iPhone that would tell me when to walk and run but even with that, I was taking it out to see how long I had left of the running part as I was finding it so difficult. It was at this point where I felt like giving up. Running for 30 minutes or 5k just seemed impossible. I was struggling to complete 5 minutes and I would almost be in tears of frustration by the end of it as I was finding it so difficult. It was at this point where I felt like just packing it all in. Doing any greater distance or time just seemed like a feat only capable of some genetic super freak of which I was none one. At least not the good kind :)

There was also an element of pride in it as I was happy that I hadn't needed to repeat any of the weeks of the programme but I'd gone as far as I could this time. The following week's work-outs contained 8 minute runs and there was simply no way I was able for it. So I resigned myself to repeating week 4 and part of me wondered would I ever progress.

And to my amazement, I did. I repeated two days of week 4 and something happened, I'd broken through some sort of barrier. I think I jogged a little slower or something but it felt so different. After repeating week 4 I knew straight away I could easily do the 8 minutes and I went out a few days later and that's exactly what I did. It was amazing just the way things seemed to fall into place. It was like I was surrounded by barriers and hurdles that in an instant had all just been lifted away.

I was able to complete the rest of the programme without any hassle and since then I've completed a 5k race, 4 mile race and 10k race. Although I did cheat and walk about 3.5k of the 10k but I jogged the rest.

So if you are finding it tough, don't worry, almost everyone does at some point. You might think "ok, they might find it tough but I bet they're not finding it as tough as this". I'd say they probably are or have.

There's no rush to complete the programme. It's spread out over 9 weeks from what I remember so just take your time. If you find a week is too tough, just repeat it. The only one you are competing against is yourself so don't worry what others are doing. I really should take some of this advice onboard myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

I don't think they're necessary at this stage. While you're following the c25k programme all you need to do is follow the programme. It doesn't matter what pace you run at, or the total distance travelled, so long as you run your five minutes.
    Even when you've finished the programme, a stopwatch to time how long you ran and mapmyrun.com to measure your route is all you really need.
    The Garmins are great, but they are quite expensive.

Thanks for the advice ray i am going to wait until i finish the program and if i stilll want one then i will get it.Amazon raised the prices of the 305 yesterday which made my decision easier!

Thanks for the advice ray i am going to wait until i finish the program and if i stilll want one then i will get it.Amazon raised the prices of the 305 yesterday which made my decision easier!

Although its not necessary to know your speed and distabce, on the forerunner 210, which i have yiu can program intervals which i find invaluable. Its like you can program your 90secs of jogging followed by 1 or 2mins of walking and such so the watch tells you when you need to run and when you need to walk (though if you're using the podcasts you dont need the watch to tell you this). And its sorta an easy way to keep track of your runs and progress.

I got mine from sub4.ie. I found the 210 has all you need and is much smaller and less expensive than the 410/310/305 and all so you can even use it as your everyday watch. Though its not waterproof like the 310/305 so you wouldnt wanna take it into water.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

I'd like to say a HUGE thanks to RayCun for starting this thread. Simply from reading the comments here I decided that I too could try the C25k, and unbelievably I just completed the programme a few weeks ago. I'm regularly running 5k outside (having started the programme on the treadmill), my best time is 31mins and have just signed up for my first ever 10k road race - my goal is to finish! I've become completely addicted to running and I absolutely LOVE it. I would say to anyone thinking of getting fit, losing weight or just wanting to try something new - start this programme, you will not regret it! Thanks again to RayCun and all the other posters here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Started C25K this week after buying an iPhone. Hadn't done any real running in years since giving up playing sports but really enjoyed the runs. I've one more run left of week 1, which I intend on completing tomorrow. I can see myself becoming addicted to this app and to jogging itself!

(Finally) W5D3 COMPLETE!!!! Absolutely delighted with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Monife wrote: »
    (Finally) W5D3 COMPLETE!!!! Absolutely delighted with myself!

Great stuff Monife! Most people agree that's a turning point! When I eventually managed that run actually getting to the end ogf the programme seemed very possible all of a sudden :) Keep it going!

I finished the couch to 5k a couple of months ago but am still a pretty slow runner:o Nonetheless I'm still committed and did the Leixlip 5k last Sat...was one of the last runners over the finish line but managed to run the whole 5k with no stopping or walking which was a first for me so was quite chuffed :D Keep going everyone! You will get there :)

W6D1 FAIL :(

I should have known as I was wrecked from work but wanted to keep up the momento and not fall back into the slip of doing it once a week.

Come to think about it, I haven't completed a run after work in over 3 weeks. I don't know if it is physical or mental tiredness. Hope this goes away as I can't do the program once a week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Hello all,

Came across this thread while looking for inspiration and motivation!! I'm on my 3rd or 4th attempt at C25K and have just started Week 4. I actually started on Week 3 because I had been doing a bit of running already and knew from doing C25K before that I'd be able to start on Week 3. In all the times I've attempted it before I never finished Week 3, but here I am after finishing W4D1!

I am thrilled that I finished it. Last week I found the 3 minute runs quite tough so I was dreading 5 minute runs today. The first one wasn't as bad as I thought but the 2nd one was torture. I just kept telling myself to keep going and keep going and then the bell went and I was done! It felt great!

Monife wrote: »
    I should have known as I was wrecked from work but wanted to keep up the momento and not fall back into the slip of doing it once a week.

Is there a better time you could be doing this? First thing in the morning? Or taking a few hours break after you get back from work and then going out at 9?

Is there a better time you could be doing this? First thing in the morning? Or taking a few hours break after you get back from work and then going out at 9?

The latter wouldn't work because I wouldn't get back up and dressed to go out. I did try the morning thing once, got up at 6am, the run was great, fresh, no one around but then every time I tried after that I couldn't drag myself out of the bed. Currently over an hour away from work, but moving at the end of the month when I will be around 15 minutes away, so then, I am going to give the mornings ones a shot.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Hi all,

Just had a read through the thread, and thought I'd post my experience and where I'm at now - which is a bit of a brick wall.

I started C25K last october, and by mid December had got to 5km - and managed 2 of these before the snow started. Between 1 thing and another, I then fell out of practice (snow, travel with work etc), and decided to start back in mid Feb of this year. Like everyone, I found the initial programme brilliant, albeit there were weeks when i felt I'd never get through it.

I was somewhat surprised when I went back out in Feb to find I was pretty much back to square 1 - and needed to go back to Week 1 - however I was able to shortcut it a bit and from the start of April I'm running 5k on average twice a week (sometimes I'm very good and do 3 times). It is definately a bit easier now after several weeks - had trouble with my left knee, but a strap sorted that out. Breathing is working much better, lungs don't feel like they are about to explode any more!

This is where I get to the brick wall - My best time to date is 29:30 for 5km, and I don't seem to be able to improve it. What should I do - keep running at 5km as I'm still relatively new to the distance or change?.

A friend suggested I lengthen the run once a week - but at the moment I'm fairly whacked at the end of the 5km - I don't feel I have it in me to do extra.

Any advice?.

Thanks!!

(This is kind of one-size-fits-all advice that I give regularly)
    If you keep running three times a week, then
    • Run one 5k, but take it easy
    • Run one faster, shorter run
    • Run one longer, slower run
    Running the same distance at the same pace all the time is not the best way to improve. And you shouldn't try to run faster every time you run. So, you run your easy paced 5k once a week, as just a standard run. You increase the distance (gradually) in one run a week, but go much slower so you're not exhausting yourself. And once a week run a bit faster. there are different ways of running faster - go for a 3k run at a faster pace, run 5k easy with 5/10 faster bursts of about 15 seconds, run short intervals (300m, 500m, 1k) with recovery periods in between - but the common element is that you're running shorter distances than your normal run, because that allows you to increase your pace.

Running faster will improve your running form, oxygen use, and lactate threshold, so running fast over shorter distances will help you run faster over longer distances.

or just join a club! Running club sessions will cover all of that, and more.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds reasonable and fairly painless, so will give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Like ArthurG I'm after hitting a brick wall in terms of speed. Will be trying Raycun's approach to improving this as I'd like to be sub 30 mins.

Ok, decided to go for a fast 3k, normal 5k and a slow 7k.

Did the 3k in 15 mins (fastest 1k was 4:20), so am delighted with that. Aside from the fact I thought I was going to die afterwards..... I'll do the 7k slow tomorrow probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Completed my first 10km race today - I made it the whole way round without any stops! My time was sooo slow, 71.5 mins, but sure you have to have a first personal best time in order to improve on it! :)

Just so delighted, who'd have thought starting C25k last Feb would have led me to this! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Noddyman, well done. Its a great achievement, and its a Testament to the c25k program. Was it the emer casey 10k you did today? Just back from there myself.

Advertisement